Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default fermented pickled green beans

I remember that my dad made batches of pickled green beans many, many years
ago, based on a recipe in either a Ball or Kerr home canning book. I
couldn't find the actual recipe, but I managed to cobble together something
that looks right.

The pickles are happily fermenting away. There is a film of white scum that
comes to the top, which I have to scrape away every day. As bad as it
looks, I took the weighted plate off the top and tasted a few of them. None
are moldy; they still have that crispness. They taste fine, except that
they aren't quite sour enough.

I later found out, through judicious internet searches, that I needn't have
worried. The scum is normal.

I'll wait a coiuple of weeks, and if they're sour enough, I'll can them.