Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Fermented Black beans and Watermelon

I got my first decent little watermelon of the season yesterday.

This was our fav watermelon salad last summer-
Watermelon mint salad
[reduce feta to 100 grams]
8 cups watermelon - ½" cubes
6 12" stalks of chocolate mint [yields 24g, or 1 cup loose leaves]
150 grams crumbled Feta cheese [nearly 1 1/2 cups]
¼ cup olive oil

Mix- chill.
xxxxx

As I was cubing it up this morning I was debating on whether I should
go get some feta- but my big feta-eater went vegan on me, so I
probably won't bother.

Then it struck me that I could get that pungent, salty tang with some
fermented black beans.

Bam!--- I like it. To a cup of watermelon cubes, I added a tsp of
fresh chopped mint and 1/2 T of beans straight from the package.[no
rinsing]

I'll try a whole T of beans in the next batch-- and let it sit for a
while. but the ones I singled out are a perfect substitute for feta
in that salad.

I also sprinkled some granola on it by mistake- and I'll probably
repeat that for the texture.

Jim
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 01 May 2013 12:25:33 -0400, Jim Elbrecht >
wrote:

> I got my first decent little watermelon of the season yesterday.
>
> This was our fav watermelon salad last summer-
> Watermelon mint salad
> [reduce feta to 100 grams]
> 8 cups watermelon - ½" cubes
> 6 12" stalks of chocolate mint [yields 24g, or 1 cup loose leaves]
> 150 grams crumbled Feta cheese [nearly 1 1/2 cups]
> ¼ cup olive oil
>
> Mix- chill.

Yum, yum! Wish mint grew here, I'd try chocolate if it did. As it
is, I need to replant my pineapple sage. It thrived 6-7 years and
just started looking raggedy - looks awful but still hasn't given up
the ghost completely.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 1 May 2013 12:06:04 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Wed, 01 May 2013 12:25:33 -0400, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
>
>> Then it struck me that I could get that pungent, salty tang with some
>> fermented black beans.

>You want to get even more hard co fermented tofu.

I might give it a try- though so far I haven't found a tofu worth
chewing. [I guess the battered and deep fried stuff wasn't bad-- but
I liked the mushrooms better]

Hmmm-- shows promise;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stinky_tofu
"From a distance, the odor of stinky tofu is said to resemble that of
rotten garbage or manure. Some people have compared it to the taste of
blue cheese. . . while others have compared it to rotten meat."

I'll keep that line hidden until after my tasters have weighed in.

Jim

fermented pickled green beans Frink Preserving 0 13-08-2012 04:24 AM
fermented black bean paste Ray Asian Cooking 0 12-10-2007 01:21 PM
Black Beans - Cuban Black Bean Soup Langerhans Diabetic 0 10-07-2005 09:04 PM
Black soy beans Katra General Cooking 13 03-06-2005 10:13 AM
fermented black beans chillimartin Asian Cooking 6 10-12-2003 02:52 PM