Posted to rec.food.preserving,rec.food.cooking,mn.general

Default The 17th Annual Schaller Ribbon Report - Yeeeee-hah!!!

Blue ribbons: *Yee-hah!!
Raspberry Jelly!
Blackberry Jam!
Apricot Butter!
Pickled Beets (that I have never tasted!!!
Bread & Butter Pickles !
Barbecue Sauce*
Tomato Juice !

Second Place
Mint Jelly
Apricot Jam
Nectarine Jam
Watermelon Rind
Stewed Tomatoes

Third Place
Peach Jam

Fourth Place
Blackberry Jelly
Corn Relish

That's placing in 15 of 20 entries -- 75%. *I am thrilled beyond words!!

--
Barb,
http://web.me.com/barbschaller July 27, 2011. Read it and weep.
Posted to rec.food.preserving,rec.food.cooking,mn.general

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> Blue ribbons: Yee-hah!!
> Raspberry Jelly!
> Blackberry Jam!
> Apricot Butter!
> Pickled Beets (that I have never tasted!!!
> Bread & Butter Pickles !
> Barbecue Sauce
> Tomato Juice !
>
> Second Place
> Mint Jelly
> Apricot Jam
> Nectarine Jam
> Watermelon Rind
> Stewed Tomatoes
>
> Third Place
> Peach Jam
>
> Fourth Place
> Blackberry Jelly
> Corn Relish
>
> That's placing in 15 of 20 entries -- 75%. I am thrilled beyond words!!

Oh that's right, there's a fair this week.

Posted to rec.food.preserving,rec.food.cooking,mn.general

On Aug 25, 8:21*am, Melba's Jammin' >
wrote:
> Blue ribbons: *Yee-hah!!
> Raspberry Jelly!
> Blackberry Jam!
> Apricot Butter!
> Pickled Beets (that I have never tasted!!!
> Bread & Butter Pickles !
> Barbecue Sauce*
> Tomato Juice !
>
> Second Place
> Mint Jelly
> Apricot Jam
> Nectarine Jam
> Watermelon Rind
> Stewed Tomatoes
>
> Third Place
> Peach Jam
>
> Fourth Place
> Blackberry Jelly
> Corn Relish
>
> That's placing in 15 of 20 entries -- 75%. *I am thrilled beyond words!!
>
> --
> Barb,http://web.me.com/barbschallerJuly 27, 2011. *Read it and weep.

Your are great Barb!!~ I knew you would do well!!
Posted to rec.food.preserving,rec.food.cooking,mn.general

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> Blue ribbons: Yee-hah!!
> Raspberry Jelly!
> Blackberry Jam!
> Apricot Butter!
> Pickled Beets (that I have never tasted!!!
> Bread & Butter Pickles !
> Barbecue Sauce
> Tomato Juice !
>
> Second Place
> Mint Jelly
> Apricot Jam
> Nectarine Jam
> Watermelon Rind
> Stewed Tomatoes
>
> Third Place
> Peach Jam
>
> Fourth Place
> Blackberry Jelly
> Corn Relish
>
> That's placing in 15 of 20 entries -- 75%. I am thrilled beyond words!!

Blimey!!!! Ain't you just a clever clogs)) Congratulations and big
hugs))))))))))

--
http://www.shop.helpforheros.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.preserving,rec.food.cooking,mn.general

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote

> That's placing in 15 of 20 entries -- 75%. I am thrilled beyond words!!

isn't it about time for a mn.general testing party?

Posted to rec.food.preserving,rec.food.cooking,mn.general

On Thu, 25 Aug 2011 08:21:20 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>Blue ribbons: *Yee-hah!!
>Raspberry Jelly!
>Blackberry Jam!
>Apricot Butter!
>Pickled Beets (that I have never tasted!!!
>Bread & Butter Pickles !
>Barbecue Sauce*
>Tomato Juice !
>
>Second Place
>Mint Jelly
>Apricot Jam
>Nectarine Jam
>Watermelon Rind
>Stewed Tomatoes
>
>Third Place
>Peach Jam
>
>Fourth Place
>Blackberry Jelly
>Corn Relish
>
>That's placing in 15 of 20 entries -- 75%. *I am thrilled beyond words!!

<Applause!>

Lou
Posted to rec.food.preserving,rec.food.cooking,mn.general

> On Thu, 25 Aug 2011 08:21:20 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> > wrote:

>>Blue ribbons: Yee-hah!!
>>Raspberry Jelly!
>>Blackberry Jam!
>>Apricot Butter!
>>Pickled Beets (that I have never tasted!!!
>>Bread & Butter Pickles !
>>Barbecue Sauce
>>Tomato Juice !
>>
>>Second Place
>>Mint Jelly
>>Apricot Jam
>>Nectarine Jam
>>Watermelon Rind
>>Stewed Tomatoes
>>
>>Third Place
>>Peach Jam
>>
>>Fourth Place
>>Blackberry Jelly
>>Corn Relish
>>
>>That's placing in 15 of 20 entries -- 75%. I am thrilled beyond words!!

Wonderful! Congratulations. Well done. I'll bring the fresh out of the
oven bread. Might even try baking biscuits in the convection oven. When's
the party? Polly

Posted to rec.food.preserving,rec.food.cooking,mn.general

wrote:
> Blue ribbons: *Yee-hah!!
> Raspberry Jelly!
> Blackberry Jam!
> Apricot Butter!
> Pickled Beets (that I have never tasted!!!
> Bread & Butter Pickles !
> Barbecue Sauce*
> Tomato Juice !
>
> Second Place
> Mint Jelly
> Apricot Jam
> Nectarine Jam
> Watermelon Rind
> Stewed Tomatoes
>
> Third Place
> Peach Jam
>
> Fourth Place
> Blackberry Jelly
> Corn Relish
>
> That's placing in 15 of 20 entries -- 75%. *I am thrilled beyond words!!
>
> --
> Barb,http://web.me.com/barbschallerJuly 27, 2011. *Read it and weep.

Yippppeeeee, and Congratulations for a GREAT job well done.

Why just this morning I was thinking I should have put my zucchini/
walnut bread into the competition. Even my hubby eats it so I think I
would win. <g>

Nice going, Barb. AnnE
Posted to rec.food.preserving,rec.food.cooking,mn.general
Banned

On Aug 25, 6:21*am, Melba's Jammin' >
wrote:

> That's placing in 15 of 20 entries -- 75%. *I am thrilled beyond words!!
>
> --
> Barb,http://web.me.com/barbschallerJuly 27, 2011. *Read it and weep.

Have you ever thought of going into business and selling your stuff at
farmers markets, etc???
Seriously. Obviously you are very good at what you do. Why not sell
your stuff???
I'd buy it.
Posted to rec.food.preserving,rec.food.cooking,mn.general

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> Blue ribbons: Yee-hah!!
> Raspberry Jelly!
> Blackberry Jam!
> Apricot Butter!
> Pickled Beets (that I have never tasted!!!
> Bread & Butter Pickles !
> Barbecue Sauce
> Tomato Juice !
>
> Second Place
> Mint Jelly
> Apricot Jam
> Nectarine Jam
> Watermelon Rind
> Stewed Tomatoes
>
> Third Place
> Peach Jam
>
> Fourth Place
> Blackberry Jelly
> Corn Relish
>
> That's placing in 15 of 20 entries -- 75%. I am thrilled beyond
> words!!

Pretty good job, there! Congrats!
--
ViLco
Let the liquor do the thinking

Posted to rec.food.preserving,rec.food.cooking,mn.general

On 8/25/2011 9:21 AM, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> Blue ribbons: Yee-hah!!
> Raspberry Jelly!
> Blackberry Jam!
> Apricot Butter!
> Pickled Beets (that I have never tasted!!!
> Bread& Butter Pickles !
> Barbecue Sauce
> Tomato Juice !
>
> Second Place
> Mint Jelly
> Apricot Jam
> Nectarine Jam
> Watermelon Rind
> Stewed Tomatoes
>
> Third Place
> Peach Jam
>
> Fourth Place
> Blackberry Jelly
> Corn Relish
>
> That's placing in 15 of 20 entries -- 75%. I am thrilled beyond words!!

Congrats, Barb!

--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

Posted to rec.food.preserving,rec.food.cooking,mn.general

In article >,
Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

> Blue ribbons: *Yee-hah!!
> Raspberry Jelly!
> Blackberry Jam!
> Apricot Butter!
> Pickled Beets (that I have never tasted!!!
> Bread & Butter Pickles !
> Barbecue Sauce*
> Tomato Juice !
>
> Second Place
> Mint Jelly
> Apricot Jam
> Nectarine Jam
> Watermelon Rind
> Stewed Tomatoes
>
> Third Place
> Peach Jam
>
> Fourth Place
> Blackberry Jelly
> Corn Relish
>
> That's placing in 15 of 20 entries -- 75%. *I am thrilled beyond words!!

YES YOU CAN, GIRL!!! (pun intended) I worried that I had missed the
ribbon report. This makes up for a year or two when the powers that be
slighted your powers of preservation.

Congrats!!! Cindy

--
C.J. Fuller

Delete the obvious to email me
Posted to rec.food.preserving

[crossposts removed]

On 08/25/2011 06:21 AM, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> Blue ribbons: Yee-hah!!
> Raspberry Jelly!
> Blackberry Jam!
> Apricot Butter!
> Pickled Beets (that I have never tasted!!!
> Bread& Butter Pickles !

<snip>

> That's placing in 15 of 20 entries -- 75%. I am thrilled beyond words!!

Ho. Lee. Crap!

You are so very awesome, BarbDear. Wowza!

Serene
--
http://www.momfoodproject.com
Posted to rec.food.preserving,rec.food.cooking,mn.general

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message

Major snip. I just couldn't STAND reading of your triumphs one more
time!
Barb, that is fan-effin-tastic. I'd try every one of those goodies in
a blink -- well, with the exception of the dirt chunks.

Fleece

> That's placing in 15 of 20 entries -- 75%. I am thrilled beyond
> words!!
> --
> Barb,
> http://web.me.com/barbschaller July 27, 2011. Read it and weep.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 08/25/2011 08:38 AM, Felice wrote:
> "Melba's > wrote in message
>

> Major snip. I just couldn't STAND reading of your triumphs one more
> time!
> Barb, that is fan-effin-tastic. I'd try every one of those goodies in
> a blink -- well, with the exception of the dirt chunks.

May I pretty please have Felice's share of the dirt chunks?
Puh-leeeeeeeease?

Serene

--
http://www.momfoodproject.com

Posted to rec.food.preserving,rec.food.cooking,mn.general

Felice wrote:
> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
>

> Major snip. I just couldn't STAND reading of your triumphs one more
> time!

No kidding! Why people don't trim, I dunno??

> Barb, that is fan-effin-tastic. I'd try every one of those goodies in
> a blink -- well, with the exception of the dirt chunks.
>
> Fleece

I think she ought to be obligated to sample the "pickled dirt chunks" at
least once if they garnered her that freakin' blue ribbon, don't you?
Its *time*, IMO. LOL
Posted to rec.food.preserving,rec.food.cooking,mn.general

"Goomba" > wrote in message

> Felice wrote:
>> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
>>

>> Major snip. I just couldn't STAND reading of your triumphs one more
>> time!

> No kidding! Why people don't trim, I dunno??
>
>> Barb, that is fan-effin-tastic. I'd try every one of those goodies
>> in
>> a blink -- well, with the exception of the dirt chunks.
>>
>> Fleece

> I think she ought to be obligated to sample the "pickled dirt
> chunks"
> at least once if they garnered her that freakin' blue ribbon, don't
> you? Its *time*, IMO. LOL

It's the very least she should do. Foisting off untested dirt chunks
on an unsuspecting panel of judges ... disgraceful.

Fleece

Posted to rec.food.preserving

ImStillMags wrote:

> Have you ever thought of going into business and selling your stuff at
> farmers markets, etc???
> Seriously. Obviously you are very good at what you do. Why not sell
> your stuff???

Better yet for a boutique canning company. That way they would end up
in stores where I could -

> I'd buy it.

Exactly. Me too.
Posted to rec.food.preserving,rec.food.cooking,mn.general

On 8/25/2011 9:21 AM, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> Blue ribbons: Yee-hah!!
> Raspberry Jelly!
> Blackberry Jam!
> Apricot Butter!
> Pickled Beets (that I have never tasted!!!
> Bread& Butter Pickles !
> Barbecue Sauce
> Tomato Juice !
>
> Second Place
> Mint Jelly
> Apricot Jam
> Nectarine Jam
> Watermelon Rind
> Stewed Tomatoes
>
> Third Place
> Peach Jam
>
> Fourth Place
> Blackberry Jelly
> Corn Relish
>
> That's placing in 15 of 20 entries -- 75%. I am thrilled beyond words!!

Knew you could do it!! Congrats.

Rusty in MD
Posted to rec.food.preserving,rec.food.cooking,mn.general

On 8/25/2011 9:21 AM, Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> That's placing in 15 of 20 entries -- 75%. I am thrilled beyond words!!

Impressive!!! Even for you!

nancy

Posted to rec.food.preserving,rec.food.cooking,mn.general

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> Blue ribbons: Yee-hah!!
> Raspberry Jelly!
> Blackberry Jam!
> Apricot Butter!
> Pickled Beets (that I have never tasted!!!
> Bread & Butter Pickles !
> Barbecue Sauce
> Tomato Juice !
>
> Second Place
> Mint Jelly
> Apricot Jam
> Nectarine Jam
> Watermelon Rind
> Stewed Tomatoes
>
> Third Place
> Peach Jam
>
> Fourth Place
> Blackberry Jelly
> Corn Relish
>
> That's placing in 15 of 20 entries -- 75%. I am thrilled beyond words!!
>
> --
> Barb,
> http://web.me.com/barbschaller July 27, 2011. Read it and weep.

Congrats.

When is the tasting party ?

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"Serene Vannoy" > wrote in message
> On 08/25/2011 08:38 AM, Felice wrote:
>> "Melba's > wrote in message
>>

>> Major snip. I just couldn't STAND reading of your triumphs one more
>> time!
>> Barb, that is fan-effin-tastic. I'd try every one of those goodies in
>> a blink -- well, with the exception of the dirt chunks.

> May I pretty please have Felice's share of the dirt chunks?
> Puh-leeeeeeeease?

Oi! Wot about me???
--
http://www.shop.helpforheros.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.preserving,rec.food.cooking,mn.general

wrote:
> Blue ribbons: *Yee-hah!!
> Raspberry Jelly!
> Blackberry Jam!
> Apricot Butter!
> Pickled Beets (that I have never tasted!!!
> Bread & Butter Pickles !
> Barbecue Sauce*
> Tomato Juice !
>
> Second Place
> Mint Jelly
> Apricot Jam
> Nectarine Jam
> Watermelon Rind
> Stewed Tomatoes
>
> Third Place
> Peach Jam
>
> Fourth Place
> Blackberry Jelly
> Corn Relish
>
> That's placing in 15 of 20 entries -- 75%. *I am thrilled beyond words!!

Wow!

Without giving your secrets away, what gives you the edge over your
jam and jelly competitors?

1) Fruit quality,
2) Process technique, or
3) Extra ingredients, like spices.

Posted to rec.food.preserving,rec.food.cooking,mn.general

In article
spamtrap1888 > wrote:

> On Aug 25, 6:21*am, Melba's Jammin' >
> wrote:
> > Blue ribbons: *Yee-hah!!
> > Raspberry Jelly!
> > Blackberry Jam!
> > Apricot Butter!
> > Pickled Beets (that I have never tasted!!!
> > Bread & Butter Pickles !
> > Barbecue Sauce*
> > Tomato Juice !
> >
> > Second Place
> > Mint Jelly
> > Apricot Jam
> > Nectarine Jam
> > Watermelon Rind
> > Stewed Tomatoes
> >
> > Third Place
> > Peach Jam
> >
> > Fourth Place
> > Blackberry Jelly
> > Corn Relish
> >
> > That's placing in 15 of 20 entries -- 75%. *I am thrilled beyond words!!
> >

> Wow!
>
> Without giving your secrets away, what gives you the edge over your
> jam and jelly competitors?
>
> 1) Fruit quality,
> 2) Process technique, or
> 3) Extra ingredients, like spices.

I'm luckier? They're better than the others? <grin> I have no idea.
Seriously. That blue ribbon for blackberry jam? That was made with
frozen blackberries from Cub's frozen food case ‹ their brand, I
believe. Same with the blackberry jelly.

The pickled beets? No clue. I have never tasted them. Word. I have
used the same recipe the last two years but am always edgy because I
have no clue what a good pickled beet (an oxymoron if I have ever heard
one) tastes like. Other than pickled dirt. Ick.

Tomato juice? Yup, there's a trick. I'm not inclined to share what it
is.

Barbecue sauce? It's a relish recipe that won a blue ribbon some years
back and I liquefied it and tweaked it a bit.

Most of my produce comes from the supermarket (peaches, nectarines,
apricots, watermelon) and/or the farmers market (corn, beets, tomatoes,
cucumbers, mint). Plums are mine. Raspberries are from my sister's
patch ‹ an old cultivar called Heritage.

You can search online for my B&B pickle recipe. <shrug>

Process technique? You process the high acid stuff (the only kind I do)
in a boiling water bath ‹ and so does everyone else.

Extra ingredients? Nope. The apricot butter is nothing but apricots
and sugar, cooked to perfection. Cook it too hot and the sugar will
caramelize. Nicht so gut.

The Fair received a record number of canning entries this year.
--
Barb,
http://web.me.com/barbschaller August 24.
Posted to rec.food.preserving,rec.food.cooking,mn.general

In article >,
"D.A. Tsenuf" > wrote:

> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> > Blue ribbons: Yee-hah!!
> > Raspberry Jelly!
> > Blackberry Jam!
> > Apricot Butter!
> > Pickled Beets (that I have never tasted!!!
> > Bread & Butter Pickles !
> > Barbecue Sauce
> > Tomato Juice !
> >
> > Second Place
> > Mint Jelly
> > Apricot Jam
> > Nectarine Jam
> > Watermelon Rind
> > Stewed Tomatoes
> >
> > Third Place
> > Peach Jam
> >
> > Fourth Place
> > Blackberry Jelly
> > Corn Relish
> >
> > That's placing in 15 of 20 entries -- 75%. I am thrilled beyond words!!
> >
> > --
> > Barb,
> > http://web.me.com/barbschaller July 27, 2011. Read it and weep.

> Congrats.
>
> When is the tasting party ?

I have the opened and judged jars in my fridge. What do you want? I
don't eat an awful lot of jam.

I was/am on All Things Considered this afternoon and the woman who
interviewed me got the two judged jars of the apricot butter and
raspberry jelly ‹ after I picked up my jars on Sunday we opened each one
and I guessed how well it scored based on the amount removed from the
jar. Somebody© liked the B&B Pickles. :-) They ate down about a half
inch into the jar. A big chunk taken from the raspberry jelly. A
goodly amount missing from the apricot butter.

I wouldn't have given the mint jelly a snowball's chance in hell ‹ it is
a very mild flavor. Apparently, that's how mint jelly is supposed to
taste. . . . <shrug>
--
Barb,
http://web.me.com/barbschaller July 27, 2011. Read it and weep.

Posted to rec.food.preserving,rec.food.cooking,mn.general

In article > ,
Nancy Young <email@replyto> wrote:

> On 8/25/2011 9:21 AM, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>
> > That's placing in 15 of 20 entries -- 75%. I am thrilled beyond words!!

> Impressive!!! Even for you!
>
> nancy

Yes'm. I haven't had 7 blue ribbons in one year since 1993.
--
Barb,
http://web.me.com/barbschaller July 27, 2011. Read it and weep.
Posted to rec.food.preserving,rec.food.cooking,mn.general

In article >, "Felice" >
wrote:

> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
>

> Major snip. I just couldn't STAND reading of your triumphs one more
> time!
> Barb, that is fan-effin-tastic. I'd try every one of those goodies in
> a blink -- well, with the exception of the dirt chunks.
>
> Fleece
>

> > That's placing in 15 of 20 entries -- 75%. I am thrilled beyond
> > words!!
> > --

You and me both, Fleece. You and me both! Ick.
--
Barb,
http://web.me.com/barbschaller August 24.
Posted to rec.food.preserving,rec.food.cooking,mn.general

In article >,
Goomba > wrote:

> Felice wrote:
> > "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> >

> > Major snip. I just couldn't STAND reading of your triumphs one more
> > time!

> No kidding! Why people don't trim, I dunno??
>
> > Barb, that is fan-effin-tastic. I'd try every one of those goodies in
> > a blink -- well, with the exception of the dirt chunks.
> >
> > Fleece

> I think she ought to be obligated to sample the "pickled dirt chunks" at
> least once if they garnered her that freakin' blue ribbon, don't you?
> Its *time*, IMO. LOL

Why? I have people lined up for the four miserable jars I made. I gave
one to the guy I bought the beets from. I've got a couple big
PR-for-the-Fair gigs coming up and I will give some to those folks if
they want a taste. Gack.
--
Barb,
http://web.me.com/barbschaller July 27, 2011. Read it and weep.
Posted to rec.food.preserving,rec.food.cooking,mn.general

In article >,
Cindy Fuller > wrote:

> In article >,
> Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

> > That's placing in 15 of 20 entries -- 75%. *I am thrilled beyond words!!

> YES YOU CAN, GIRL!!! (pun intended) I worried that I had missed the
> ribbon report. This makes up for a year or two when the powers that be
> slighted your powers of preservation.
>
> Congrats!!! Cindy

Thanks, Cindy.
I did an interview for All Things Considered and the woman who edited
and interviewed did a really good job, I think. Listen to the audio.
http://minnesota.publicradio.org/dis...r-hounds-barb-
schaller/
--
Barb,
http://web.me.com/barbschaller July 27, 2011. Read it and weep.
Posted to rec.food.preserving,rec.food.cooking,mn.general

In article
ImStillMags > wrote:

> Have you ever thought of going into business and selling your stuff at
> farmers markets, etc???
> Seriously. Obviously you are very good at what you do. Why not sell
> your stuff???
> I'd buy it.

Are you serious? I am 66 years old and have no interest in working
hard. Compliance with the health department rules and regs would give
me a headache I do not need. I have seen what it's like by virtue of my
affiliation with the Gedney company <gedneypickle.com> folks. No thanks.
--
Barb,
http://web.me.com/barbschaller July 27, 2011. Read it and weep.

Posted to rec.food.preserving,rec.food.cooking,mn.general

In article >,
"Mike O'Brien" > wrote:

> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote
>
> > That's placing in 15 of 20 entries -- 75%. I am thrilled beyond words!!

> isn't it about time for a mn.general testing party?

You gonna host it, Mike?
I have about 17 jars of opened and judged goods in my fridge that I have
to do something with. Some won't leave the house, though. :-) "Quit
giving away my pickles, dammit!" Thus spake Rob Schaller. "-)
--
Barb,
http://web.me.com/barbschaller July 27, 2011. Read it and weep.
Posted to rec.food.preserving,rec.food.cooking,mn.general

wrote:
> Blue ribbons: *Yee-hah!!
> Raspberry Jelly!
> Blackberry Jam!
> Apricot Butter!
> Pickled Beets (that I have never tasted!!!
> Bread & Butter Pickles !
> Barbecue Sauce*
> Tomato Juice !
>
> Second Place
> Mint Jelly
> Apricot Jam
> Nectarine Jam
> Watermelon Rind
> Stewed Tomatoes
>
> Third Place
> Peach Jam
>
> Fourth Place
> Blackberry Jelly
> Corn Relish
>
> That's placing in 15 of 20 entries -- 75%. *I am thrilled beyond words!!
>
> --
> Barb,http://web.me.com/barbschallerJuly 27, 2011. *Read it and weep.

congrats on all wins...even the red dirt.

harriet & critters in hot azusa
Posted to rec.food.preserving,rec.food.cooking,mn.general

On 8/25/2011 4:50 PM, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In >,
> > wrote:
>
>> Felice wrote:
>>> "Melba's > wrote in message
>>>

>>> Major snip. I just couldn't STAND reading of your triumphs one more
>>> time!

>> No kidding! Why people don't trim, I dunno??
>>
>>> Barb, that is fan-effin-tastic. I'd try every one of those goodies in
>>> a blink -- well, with the exception of the dirt chunks.
>>>
>>> Fleece

>> I think she ought to be obligated to sample the "pickled dirt chunks" at
>> least once if they garnered her that freakin' blue ribbon, don't you?
>> Its *time*, IMO. LOL

> Why? I have people lined up for the four miserable jars I made. I gave
> one to the guy I bought the beets from. I've got a couple big
> PR-for-the-Fair gigs coming up and I will give some to those folks if
> they want a taste. Gack.

Heathern! We had pickled beets, pickled carrots, and pickled Jerusalem
artichokes with our lunch sandwiches today. Excellent fare for the
discerning palate.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

Congratulations!!!....Carol S.

Posted to rec.food.preserving,rec.food.cooking,mn.general

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote

>> isn't it about time for a mn.general testing party?

> You gonna host it, Mike?
> I have about 17 jars of opened and judged goods in my fridge that I have
> to do something with. Some won't leave the house, though. :-) "Quit
> giving away my pickles, dammit!" Thus spake Rob Schaller. "-)

Iffin you all want to come up to the lake up here in Brainerd...

Posted to rec.food.preserving,rec.food.cooking,mn.general

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "D.A. Tsenuf" > wrote:
>
>> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
>> > Blue ribbons: Yee-hah!!
>> > Raspberry Jelly!
>> > Blackberry Jam!
>> > Apricot Butter!
>> > Pickled Beets (that I have never tasted!!!
>> > Bread & Butter Pickles !
>> > Barbecue Sauce
>> > Tomato Juice !
>> >
>> > Second Place
>> > Mint Jelly
>> > Apricot Jam
>> > Nectarine Jam
>> > Watermelon Rind
>> > Stewed Tomatoes
>> >
>> > Third Place
>> > Peach Jam
>> >
>> > Fourth Place
>> > Blackberry Jelly
>> > Corn Relish
>> >
>> > That's placing in 15 of 20 entries -- 75%. I am thrilled beyond
>> > words!!
>> >
>> > --
>> > Barb,
>> > http://web.me.com/barbschaller July 27, 2011. Read it and weep.

>> Congrats.
>>
>> When is the tasting party ?
>>

> I have the opened and judged jars in my fridge. What do you want? I
> don't eat an awful lot of jam.
>
> I was/am on All Things Considered this afternoon and the woman who
> interviewed me got the two judged jars of the apricot butter and
> raspberry jelly < after I picked up my jars on Sunday we opened each one
> and I guessed how well it scored based on the amount removed from the
> jar. Somebody© liked the B&B Pickles. :-) They ate down about a half
> inch into the jar. A big chunk taken from the raspberry jelly. A
> goodly amount missing from the apricot butter.
>
> I wouldn't have given the mint jelly a snowball's chance in hell < it is
> a very mild flavor. Apparently, that's how mint jelly is supposed to
> taste. . . . <shrug>

LOL
Never would have thought of measuring popularity by evaporation of
contents...
:-)
I have two kids, what a teen, the other a tween.
All things sweet are popular
I should start making my own preserves, just to save money

Sadly, I'm off to Iowa tomorrow afternoon. Not sure when I'm back.

Posted to rec.food.preserving,rec.food.cooking,mn.general

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> In article
> >,
> spamtrap1888 > wrote:
>
>> On Aug 25, 6:21 am, Melba's Jammin' >
>> wrote:
>> > Blue ribbons: Yee-hah!!
>> > Raspberry Jelly!
>> > Blackberry Jam!
>> > Apricot Butter!
>> > Pickled Beets (that I have never tasted!!!
>> > Bread & Butter Pickles !
>> > Barbecue Sauce
>> > Tomato Juice !
>> >
>> > Second Place
>> > Mint Jelly
>> > Apricot Jam
>> > Nectarine Jam
>> > Watermelon Rind
>> > Stewed Tomatoes
>> >
>> > Third Place
>> > Peach Jam
>> >
>> > Fourth Place
>> > Blackberry Jelly
>> > Corn Relish
>> >
>> > That's placing in 15 of 20 entries -- 75%. I am thrilled beyond
>> > words!!
>> >

>> Wow!
>>
>> Without giving your secrets away, what gives you the edge over your
>> jam and jelly competitors?
>>
>> 1) Fruit quality,
>> 2) Process technique, or
>> 3) Extra ingredients, like spices.

> I'm luckier? They're better than the others? <grin> I have no idea.
> Seriously. That blue ribbon for blackberry jam? That was made with
> frozen blackberries from Cub's frozen food case < their brand, I
> believe. Same with the blackberry jelly.
>
> The pickled beets? No clue. I have never tasted them. Word. I have
> used the same recipe the last two years but am always edgy because I
> have no clue what a good pickled beet (an oxymoron if I have ever heard
> one) tastes like. Other than pickled dirt. Ick.
>
> Tomato juice? Yup, there's a trick. I'm not inclined to share what it
> is.
>
> Barbecue sauce? It's a relish recipe that won a blue ribbon some years
> back and I liquefied it and tweaked it a bit.
>
> Most of my produce comes from the supermarket (peaches, nectarines,
> apricots, watermelon) and/or the farmers market (corn, beets, tomatoes,
> cucumbers, mint). Plums are mine. Raspberries are from my sister's
> patch < an old cultivar called Heritage.
>
> You can search online for my B&B pickle recipe. <shrug>
>
> Process technique? You process the high acid stuff (the only kind I do)
> in a boiling water bath < and so does everyone else.
>
> Extra ingredients? Nope. The apricot butter is nothing but apricots
> and sugar, cooked to perfection. Cook it too hot and the sugar will
> caramelize. Nicht so gut.
>
> The Fair received a record number of canning entries this year.
> --

I think you need to try some recipes for Borsht, hot and cold
Trust me, good Borsht does NOT taste like dirt.
Neither do properly pickled beets
I suspect that your beets are properly prepared and do NOT taste like dirt.
Otherwise why the ribbon..

Posted to rec.food.preserving,rec.food.cooking,mn.general

In article >,
"D.A. Tsenuf" > wrote:

> I think you need to try some recipes for Borsht, hot and cold
> Trust me, good Borsht does NOT taste like dirt.
> Neither do properly pickled beets
> I suspect that your beets are properly prepared and do NOT taste like dirt.
> Otherwise why the ribbon..

I've had borscht. Ick.
I'll take your word for the speculation on what my pickled boiled dirt
chunks must taste like.

--
Barb,
http://web.me.com/barbschaller August 24, 2011
Posted to rec.food.preserving,rec.food.cooking,mn.general

In article >,
Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

> Blue ribbons: *Yee-hah!!
> Raspberry Jelly!
> Blackberry Jam!
> Apricot Butter!
> Pickled Beets (that I have never tasted!!!
> Bread & Butter Pickles !
> Barbecue Sauce*
> Tomato Juice !
>
> Second Place
> Mint Jelly
> Apricot Jam
> Nectarine Jam
> Watermelon Rind
> Stewed Tomatoes
>
> Third Place
> Peach Jam
>
> Fourth Place
> Blackberry Jelly
> Corn Relish
>
> That's placing in 15 of 20 entries -- 75%. *I am thrilled beyond words!!

<cough> Actually it's 16 ribbons for 20 entries. I forgot to mark that
the Peach Melba Jelly received a second place ribbon, too.
--
Barb,
http://web.me.com/barbschaller July 27, 2011. Read it and weep.
Posted to rec.food.preserving,rec.food.cooking,mn.general

In article >,
Cindy Fuller > wrote:

> In article >,
> Melba's Jammin' > wrote:
>
> > Blue ribbons: *Yee-hah!!
> > Raspberry Jelly!
> > Blackberry Jam!
> > Apricot Butter!
> > Pickled Beets (that I have never tasted!!!
> > Bread & Butter Pickles !
> > Barbecue Sauce*
> > Tomato Juice !
> >
> > Second Place
> > Mint Jelly
> > Apricot Jam
> > Nectarine Jam
> > Watermelon Rind
> > Stewed Tomatoes
> >
> > Third Place
> > Peach Jam
> >
> > Fourth Place
> > Blackberry Jelly
> > Corn Relish
> >
> > That's placing in 15 of 20 entries -- 75%. *I am thrilled beyond words!!

> YES YOU CAN, GIRL!!! (pun intended)

That's the name of my 2009 canning blog, "Yes, I Can!". :-)

> Congrats!!! Cindy

Thanks. BTW, I forgot one second place ribbon for Peach Melba Jelly.
That makes 16 ribbons for 20 entries. That just tickles me beyond words
‹ I've never done that well in 30 years of this stuff.