Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default The 15th Annual Schaller Ribbon Report

Well, a fine case of jars this turned out to be!* <grin>* Therešll be no
Olympic-style medallion around my neck this year.*

One thing I thought of interest: as I was doing a quick scan of the
ribbon winners, there didnšt seem to be any one or two folks who were
cleaning up in the lots.* Seems like there is wide distribution of the
ribbons; Išll have to study the data further to see if my first thoughts
about it are correct.*

Here are the results for my 20 canning entries:*

First Place
Bread & Butter Pickles
Watermelon Pickles

Second Place
Raspberry Jelly
Spiced Tomato Jam (Second place out of 56 entries is nothing to sneeze
at.)
Corn Relish

Third Place
Nectarine Jam
Apricot Butter (Boo!* Hiss-s-s!* This rocks!)

Fourth Place
Dill Pickle with Balsamic and White Vinegar (A Gedney-sponsored lot)

Fifth Place (no ribbon awarded)
Wild Blueberry Jam

Bupkes!
Blackberry Jelly
Mint Jelly (boo!* hiss-s-s-s!)
Cherry Jelly
Apricot Jam* (bummer!)
Black Raspberry Jam
Blackberry Jam
Cherry Jam
Raspberry Jam
Strawberry Jam (boo!!!* hiss-s-s-s!!)
Pickled Boiled Dirt Chunks
Hot Dill Cucumber Pickle with Southwest Flavor

Okay, thatšs 9 ribbons or placings out of 20 possibilities.* Forty-five
percent.* I think as a bona fide ribbon slut I can still hold my head up.

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - Yes, I Can! blog - check it out
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Blame the judges for your luck.

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 27 Aug 2009 20:11:43 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>Well, a fine case of jars this turned out to be!* <grin>* Therešll be no
>Olympic-style medallion around my neck this year.*
>
>One thing I thought of interest: as I was doing a quick scan of the
>ribbon winners, there didnšt seem to be any one or two folks who were
>cleaning up in the lots.* Seems like there is wide distribution of the
>ribbons; Išll have to study the data further to see if my first thoughts
>about it are correct.*
>
>Here are the results for my 20 canning entries:*

Congrats!!!!

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> Well, a fine case of jars this turned out to be! <grin> Therešll be no
> Olympic-style medallion around my neck this year.
>
> One thing I thought of interest: as I was doing a quick scan of the
> ribbon winners, there didnšt seem to be any one or two folks who were
> cleaning up in the lots. Seems like there is wide distribution of the
> ribbons; Išll have to study the data further to see if my first thoughts
> about it are correct.

Well, darn. All that work and steamed-up kitchen and you didn't win 'em
all?

> Okay, thatšs 9 ribbons or placings out of 20 possibilities. Forty-five
> percent. I think as a bona fide ribbon slut I can still hold my head up.

Darn straight. Just because they didn't all win blues doesn't mean they
weren't First Class Wonderful!

My head hurts at the thought of making 20 batches of preserves and
canned goods, and I know you did many more.

You're a winner in my book, Champ.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 27 Aug 2009 20:11:43 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>Well, a fine case of jars this turned out to be!* <grin>* Therešll be no
>Olympic-style medallion around my neck this year.*
>
>One thing I thought of interest: as I was doing a quick scan of the
>ribbon winners, there didnšt seem to be any one or two folks who were
>cleaning up in the lots.* Seems like there is wide distribution of the
>ribbons; Išll have to study the data further to see if my first thoughts
>about it are correct.*
>
>Here are the results for my 20 canning entries:*
>
>First Place
>Bread & Butter Pickles
>Watermelon Pickles
>
>Second Place
>Raspberry Jelly
>Spiced Tomato Jam (Second place out of 56 entries is nothing to sneeze
>at.)
>Corn Relish
>
>Third Place
>Nectarine Jam
>Apricot Butter (Boo!* Hiss-s-s!* This rocks!)
>
>Fourth Place
>Dill Pickle with Balsamic and White Vinegar (A Gedney-sponsored lot)
>
>Fifth Place (no ribbon awarded)
>Wild Blueberry Jam
>
>Bupkes!
>Blackberry Jelly
>Mint Jelly (boo!* hiss-s-s-s!)
>Cherry Jelly
>Apricot Jam* (bummer!)
>Black Raspberry Jam
>Blackberry Jam
>Cherry Jam
>Raspberry Jam
>Strawberry Jam (boo!!!* hiss-s-s-s!!)
>Pickled Boiled Dirt Chunks
>Hot Dill Cucumber Pickle with Southwest Flavor
>
>Okay, thatšs 9 ribbons or placings out of 20 possibilities.* Forty-five
>percent.* I think as a bona fide ribbon slut I can still hold my head up.

Well done, lady! Well done, indeed! May I inquire as to your
watermellon pickle recipe? I made a batch using the JoC recipe this
summer that I liked a lot, even though I'm no big fan of sweet
pickles. These were sweet enough to taste good on ice cream. I know
this because I tried it.

No I'm not...
--

modom

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 27 Aug 2009 20:11:43 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>Well, a fine case of jars this turned out to be!* <grin>* Therešll be no
>Olympic-style medallion around my neck this year.*
>
>One thing I thought of interest: as I was doing a quick scan of the
>ribbon winners, there didnšt seem to be any one or two folks who were
>cleaning up in the lots.* Seems like there is wide distribution of the
>ribbons; Išll have to study the data further to see if my first thoughts
>about it are correct.*
>
>Here are the results for my 20 canning entries:*
>
>First Place
>Bread & Butter Pickles
>Watermelon Pickles

You remain now and forever more, Queen.

boron
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> Well, a fine case of jars this turned out to be! <grin> Therešll be no
> Olympic-style medallion around my neck this year.
>
> One thing I thought of interest: as I was doing a quick scan of the
> ribbon winners, there didnšt seem to be any one or two folks who were
> cleaning up in the lots. Seems like there is wide distribution of the
> ribbons; Išll have to study the data further to see if my first thoughts
> about it are correct.
>
> Here are the results for my 20 canning entries:
>
> First Place
> Bread & Butter Pickles
> Watermelon Pickles

> Second Place
> Raspberry Jelly
> Spiced Tomato Jam (Second place out of 56 entries is nothing to sneeze
> at.)
> Corn Relish
>
> Third Place
> Nectarine Jam
> Apricot Butter (Boo! Hiss-s-s! This rocks!)
>
> Fourth Place
> Dill Pickle with Balsamic and White Vinegar (A Gedney-sponsored lot)
>
> Fifth Place (no ribbon awarded)
> Wild Blueberry Jam

<ignore the non-winners>

Okay, thatšs 9 ribbons or placings out of 20 possibilities. Forty-five
> percent. I think as a bona fide ribbon slut I can still hold my head up.

Damn right you can hold your head up, lady! Do you think for one
pectin-pickin' minute that any of us could have done as well?

Fleece

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> Well, a fine case of jars this turned out to be! <grin> Therešll be no
> Olympic-style medallion around my neck this year.
>
> One thing I thought of interest: as I was doing a quick scan of the
> ribbon winners, there didnšt seem to be any one or two folks who were
> cleaning up in the lots. Seems like there is wide distribution of the
> ribbons; Išll have to study the data further to see if my first thoughts
> about it are correct.
>
> Here are the results for my 20 canning entries:
>
> First Place
> Bread & Butter Pickles
> Watermelon Pickles
>
> Second Place
> Raspberry Jelly
> Spiced Tomato Jam (Second place out of 56 entries is nothing to sneeze
> at.)
> Corn Relish
>
> Third Place
> Nectarine Jam
> Apricot Butter (Boo! Hiss-s-s! This rocks!)
>
> Fourth Place
> Dill Pickle with Balsamic and White Vinegar (A Gedney-sponsored lot)
>
> Fifth Place (no ribbon awarded)
> Wild Blueberry Jam
>
> Bupkes!
> Blackberry Jelly
> Mint Jelly (boo! hiss-s-s-s!)
> Cherry Jelly
> Apricot Jam (bummer!)
> Black Raspberry Jam
> Blackberry Jam
> Cherry Jam
> Raspberry Jam
> Strawberry Jam (boo!!! hiss-s-s-s!!)
> Pickled Boiled Dirt Chunks
> Hot Dill Cucumber Pickle with Southwest Flavor
>
> Okay, thatšs 9 ribbons or placings out of 20 possibilities. Forty-five
> percent. I think as a bona fide ribbon slut I can still hold my head up.
>
> --
> -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
> http://web.me.com/barbschaller - Yes, I Can! blog - check it out
> And check this, too:
> http://abcnews.go.com/Business/story?id=8279841&page=1

Impressive.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Lou Decruss > wrote:

> On Thu, 27 Aug 2009 20:11:43 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> >Here are the results for my 20 canning entries:*

> Congrats!!!!
>
> Lou

Want some pickles, Little Boy? Guess I'll have to make another batch. .
.. .

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - Yes, I Can! blog - check it out
And check this, too:
http://abcnews.go.com/Business/story?id=8279841&page=1
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"modom (palindrome guy)" > wrote:

> Well done, lady! Well done, indeed! May I inquire as to your
> watermellon pickle recipe? I made a batch using the JoC recipe this
> summer that I liked a lot, even though I'm no big fan of sweet
> pickles. These were sweet enough to taste good on ice cream. I know
> this because I tried it.
>
> No I'm not...

Thanks, Michael. (No, you're not what?)
<http://web.me.com/barbschaller/Hangi...ed_Lady/Yes,_I
_Can%21/Entries/2009/6/14_Watermelon_Rind_Pickles.html>

Try to find a melon with a thick rind.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - Yes, I Can! blog - check it out
And check this, too:
http://abcnews.go.com/Business/story?id=8279841&page=1

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 27 Aug 2009 21:01:39 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>In article >,
> "modom (palindrome guy)" > wrote:
>
>> Well done, lady! Well done, indeed! May I inquire as to your
>> watermellon pickle recipe? I made a batch using the JoC recipe this
>> summer that I liked a lot, even though I'm no big fan of sweet
>> pickles. These were sweet enough to taste good on ice cream. I know
>> this because I tried it.
>>
>> No I'm not...

>Thanks, Michael. (No, you're not what?)
><http://web.me.com/barbschaller/Hangi...ed_Lady/Yes,_I
>_Can%21/Entries/2009/6/14_Watermelon_Rind_Pickles.html>
>
>Try to find a melon with a thick rind.

The URL wrapped, and I couldn't get it to work right when I cut and
pasted. Oops! It just worked.

No I'm not pregnant. (Pickles and ice cream)
--

modom
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> Well, a fine case of jars this turned out to be! <grin> Therešll be no
> Olympic-style medallion around my neck this year.
>
> One thing I thought of interest: as I was doing a quick scan of the
> ribbon winners, there didnšt seem to be any one or two folks who were
> cleaning up in the lots. Seems like there is wide distribution of the
> ribbons; Išll have to study the data further to see if my first thoughts
> about it are correct.
>
> Here are the results for my 20 canning entries:
>
> First Place
> Bread & Butter Pickles
> Watermelon Pickles
>
> Second Place
> Raspberry Jelly
> Spiced Tomato Jam (Second place out of 56 entries is nothing to sneeze
> at.)
> Corn Relish
>
> Third Place
> Nectarine Jam
> Apricot Butter (Boo! Hiss-s-s! This rocks!)
>
> Fourth Place
> Dill Pickle with Balsamic and White Vinegar (A Gedney-sponsored lot)
>
> Fifth Place (no ribbon awarded)
> Wild Blueberry Jam
>
> Bupkes!
> Blackberry Jelly
> Mint Jelly (boo! hiss-s-s-s!)
> Cherry Jelly
> Apricot Jam (bummer!)
> Black Raspberry Jam
> Blackberry Jam
> Cherry Jam
> Raspberry Jam
> Strawberry Jam (boo!!! hiss-s-s-s!!)
> Pickled Boiled Dirt Chunks
> Hot Dill Cucumber Pickle with Southwest Flavor
>
> Okay, thatšs 9 ribbons or placings out of 20 possibilities. Forty-five
> percent. I think as a bona fide ribbon slut I can still hold my head up.

Mazel Tov, Barb. You did well. I'm proud to know ya.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> Bupkes!
> Blackberry Jelly
> Mint Jelly (boo! hiss-s-s-s!)
> Cherry Jelly
> Apricot Jam (bummer!)
> Black Raspberry Jam
> Blackberry Jam
> Cherry Jam
> Raspberry Jam
> Strawberry Jam (boo!!! hiss-s-s-s!!)
> Pickled Boiled Dirt Chunks
> Hot Dill Cucumber Pickle with Southwest Flavor
>
> Okay, thatšs 9 ribbons or placings out of 20 possibilities. Forty-five
> percent. I think as a bona fide ribbon slut I can still hold my head up.

Even the Bupkes sound good. Congrats on a very good showing. Send me the
rejects for further testing.
Ed

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' > wrote in message
> Well, a fine case of jars this turned out to be! <grin> Therešll be no
> Olympic-style medallion around my neck this year.
>
> One thing I thought of interest: as I was doing a quick scan of the
> ribbon winners, there didnšt seem to be any one or two folks who were
> cleaning up in the lots. Seems like there is wide distribution of the
> ribbons; Išll have to study the data further to see if my first thoughts
> about it are correct.
>
> Here are the results for my 20 canning entries:
>
> First Place
> Bread & Butter Pickles
> Watermelon Pickles
>
> Second Place
> Raspberry Jelly
> Spiced Tomato Jam (Second place out of 56 entries is nothing to sneeze
> at.)
> Corn Relish
>
> Third Place
> Nectarine Jam
> Apricot Butter (Boo! Hiss-s-s! This rocks!)
>
> Fourth Place
> Dill Pickle with Balsamic and White Vinegar (A Gedney-sponsored lot)
>
> Fifth Place (no ribbon awarded)
> Wild Blueberry Jam
>
> Bupkes!
> Blackberry Jelly
> Mint Jelly (boo! hiss-s-s-s!)
> Cherry Jelly
> Apricot Jam (bummer!)
> Black Raspberry Jam
> Blackberry Jam
> Cherry Jam
> Raspberry Jam
> Strawberry Jam (boo!!! hiss-s-s-s!!)
> Pickled Boiled Dirt Chunks
> Hot Dill Cucumber Pickle with Southwest Flavor
>
> Okay, thatšs 9 ribbons or placings out of 20 possibilities. Forty-five
> percent. I think as a bona fide ribbon slut I can still hold my head up.

W00T! /Arsenio wave

Conga Rats there m'Queen! Holy crow! Nine ain't nothin' t' sneeze at!

The watermelon pickles sound interesting. I'll be visiting your site
realsoonnow!

The Ranger

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Me Me is offline

Melba's not whorin' anymore wrote:
> Okay, thatšs 9 ribbons or placings out of 20 possibilities. Forty-five percent.

Guess you are getting too old and ugly to throw yourself on the judging
casting couch spread-eagled any more.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melba's Jammin'"

> Well, a fine case of jars this turned out to be! <grin> Therešll be no >
> Olympic-style medallion around my neck this year.

Congrats, and don't be a piglet!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 27 Aug 2009 20:11:43 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>Well, a fine case of jars this turned out to be!* <grin>* Therešll be no
>Olympic-style medallion around my neck this year.*
>
>One thing I thought of interest: as I was doing a quick scan of the
>ribbon winners, there didnšt seem to be any one or two folks who were
>cleaning up in the lots.* Seems like there is wide distribution of the
>ribbons; Išll have to study the data further to see if my first thoughts
>about it are correct.*
>
>Here are the results for my 20 canning entries:*

(snip)

Congratulations.

Sounds like they got some new judges. Last year at the Dixie Classic
Fair some of us did not do as well as before. The woman in charge
said that they had new judges and more entries and entrants than they
had had in a long time.

I am skipping this year. Both the garden and I were not up to par.

--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Giusi" > wrote:

> "Melba's Jammin'"
>
> > Well, a fine case of jars this turned out to be! <grin> Therešll be no >
> > Olympic-style medallion around my neck this year.

> Congrats, and don't be a piglet!

I'm a good 100# past a piglet. Too late.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - Yes, I Can! blog - check it out
And check this, too:
http://abcnews.go.com/Business/story?id=8279841&page=1
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, me >
wrote:

> Melba's not whorin' anymore wrote:
> > Okay, thatšs 9 ribbons or placings out of 20 possibilities. Forty-five
> > percent.

> Guess you are getting too old and ugly to throw yourself on the judging
> casting couch spread-eagled any more.

Could be. I gotta find out who the judges ARE!
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - Yes, I Can! blog - check it out
And check this, too:
http://abcnews.go.com/Business/story?id=8279841&page=1
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article dth>,
"The Ranger" > wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' > wrote in message

(snip)
> > Okay, thatšs 9 ribbons or placings out of 20 possibilities. Forty-five
> > percent. I think as a bona fide ribbon slut I can still hold my head up.

> W00T! /Arsenio wave
>
> Conga Rats there m'Queen! Holy crow! Nine ain't nothin' t' sneeze at!
>
> The watermelon pickles sound interesting. I'll be visiting your site
> realsoonnow!
>
> The Ranger

<http://www.myfoxtwincities.com/dpp/m...gies_Dale_fair
_august_17_2009>

Watch the video. :-0) And the recipe's on my website.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - Yes, I Can! blog - check it out
And check this, too:
<http://www.myfoxtwincities.com/dpp/m...gies_Dale_fair
_august_17_2009>

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> First Place
> Bread & Butter Pickles
> Watermelon Pickles

Yet another disaster ĄV just as I predicted! And this time it is much,
much worse - just 2 (two) measly blue ribbons - a total, complete
disgrace!

I do realise that you are in deep mourning this morning. I've heard
your family has disowned you - and I sympathise (with them).

You won't be able to show your face in public for many years to come, so
the only real solution for you is to move far, far away at once and to
change your name, identity and appearance as soon as possible. An
extensive plastic surgery will be required, I'm afraid.

I'd offer some help, but a mere rumour of it would irreparably damage my
career and reputation, so... you understand...

And all this just because of your obstinate refusal to submit a sample
of the one and only celestial, transcendental, incomparable Barb's Beety
Beauty!

So sad.

Bubba
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote:

> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> > Bupkes!
> > Blackberry Jelly
> > Mint Jelly (boo! hiss-s-s-s!)
> > Cherry Jelly
> > Apricot Jam (bummer!)
> > Black Raspberry Jam
> > Blackberry Jam
> > Cherry Jam
> > Raspberry Jam
> > Strawberry Jam (boo!!! hiss-s-s-s!!)
> > Pickled Boiled Dirt Chunks
> > Hot Dill Cucumber Pickle with Southwest Flavor
> >
> > Okay, thatšs 9 ribbons or placings out of 20 possibilities. Forty-five
> > percent. I think as a bona fide ribbon slut I can still hold my head up.

> Even the Bupkes sound good. Congrats on a very good showing. Send me the
> rejects for further testing.
> Ed

Some are *very* good! The mint jelly is very good. The apricot jam is
wonderful. The cherry jam is very good. I had high hopes for the
strawberry jam. I have a hard time with raspberry jam and the
competition is fierce in that lot. I am surprised that the blackberry
jam and jelly didn't even place ‹ they've both won more than one blue
ribbon. I hoped for the PBDC, but have no clue as to what I'm doing
with them so I can't say I'm exactly surprised by that. (I'll be
looking for a different recipe to try next year, probably.)

The hot dill was made up as I went along and Rob's ragging on me to make
more. "You have to make more of those." "** I ** have to make more of
these???" We both had a good laugh about *that*!
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - Yes, I Can! blog - check it out
And check this, too:
http://abcnews.go.com/Business/story?id=8279841&page=1
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .com>,
"Pete C." > wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:

(snipped)
> > Okay, thatšs 9 ribbons or placings out of 20 possibilities. Forty-five
> > percent. I think as a bona fide ribbon slut I can still hold my head up.

> Impressive.

Thanks, Pete. Tasty, too.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - Yes, I Can! blog - check it out
And check this, too:
<http://www.myfoxtwincities.com/dpp/m...gies_Dale_fair
_august_17_2009>
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Felice" > wrote:

> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message

(snipped)
> Okay, thatšs 9 ribbons or placings out of 20 possibilities. Forty-five
> > percent. I think as a bona fide ribbon slut I can still hold my head up.

> Damn right you can hold your head up, lady! Do you think for one
> pectin-pickin' minute that any of us could have done as well?
>
> Fleece

<VBSEG> Oh, I'm sure there at least a few who think they could. One of
my sisters used to scoff about others' success: "Oh, hell, I could do
better than that!" But she never put her money where her mouth was.
Pity, too, because she was, in her heyday, one of the best cooks in the
family and she probably *could have*. Thanks, Fleece.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - Yes, I Can! blog - check it out
And check this, too:
http://abcnews.go.com/Business/story?id=8279841&page=1
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"modom (palindrome guy)" > wrote:

> On Thu, 27 Aug 2009 21:01:39 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> > wrote:
> >Try to find a melon with a thick rind.

> No I'm not pregnant. (Pickles and ice cream)

Got it! We can all rest easy now. Whew!

I think about making them whenever I whack open a melon. If the rind
isn't too thin, I might make a batch. Like fruit butter, they're a good
project -- you don't have to do it at one time. In fact, you shouldn't
do it (the melon pickle) at one time. And if you're not inclined (or
the weather's too hot) to can them on the third day, they can sit a
while on the counter (covered) or in the fridge (covered) for a couple
days.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - Yes, I Can! blog - check it out
And check this, too:
http://abcnews.go.com/Business/story?id=8279841&page=1

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Janet Wilder > wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:

(snip)
> > Okay, thatšs 9 ribbons or placings out of 20 possibilities. Forty-five
> > percent. I think as a bona fide ribbon slut I can still hold my head up.
> >

> Mazel Tov, Barb. You did well. I'm proud to know ya.

Thank you. I have fun. For a couple reasons, this year has been more
tiring than most and I was *very* grateful for the cool summer we've
been having.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - Yes, I Can! blog - check it out
And check this, too:
http://abcnews.go.com/Business/story?id=8279841&page=1
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote

> Okay, thatšs 9 ribbons or placings out of 20 possibilities. Forty-five
> percent. I think as a bona fide ribbon slut I can still hold my head up.

Way cool! Congratulations!

George L

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 27, 9:11*pm, Melba's Jammin' >
wrote:
> Well, a fine case of jars this turned out to be!* <grin>* Therešll be no
> Olympic-style medallion around my neck this year.*
>
> One thing I thought of interest: as I was doing a quick scan of the
> ribbon winners, there didnšt seem to be any one or two folks who were
> cleaning up in the lots.* Seems like there is wide distribution of the
> ribbons; Išll have to study the data further to see if my first thoughts
> about it are correct.*
>
> Here are the results for my 20 canning entries:*
>
> First Place
> Bread & Butter Pickles
> Watermelon Pickles
>
> Second Place
> Raspberry Jelly
> Spiced Tomato Jam (Second place out of 56 entries is nothing to sneeze
> at.)
> Corn Relish
>
> Third Place
> Nectarine Jam
> Apricot Butter (Boo!* Hiss-s-s!* This rocks!)
>
> Fourth Place
> Dill Pickle with Balsamic and White Vinegar (A Gedney-sponsored lot)
>
> Fifth Place (no ribbon awarded)
> Wild Blueberry Jam
>
> Bupkes!
> Blackberry Jelly
> Mint Jelly (boo!* hiss-s-s-s!)
> Cherry Jelly
> Apricot Jam* (bummer!)
> Black Raspberry Jam
> Blackberry Jam
> Cherry Jam
> Raspberry Jam
> Strawberry Jam (boo!!!* hiss-s-s-s!!)
> Pickled Boiled Dirt Chunks
> Hot Dill Cucumber Pickle with Southwest Flavor
>
> Okay, thatšs 9 ribbons or placings out of 20 possibilities.* Forty-five
> percent.* I think as a bona fide ribbon slut I can still hold my head up.

Youse was framed! They obviously recognized your labels and andand...
oh heck,
good job girlfriend. Anything the judges didn't like, I'll give you
ribbons for. But I have to taste it first<g>

maixne in ri
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
maxine > wrote:

> On Aug 27, 9:11*pm, Melba's Jammin' >

(snipped)
> > Okay, thatšs 9 ribbons or placings out of 20 possibilities.* Forty-five
> > percent.* I think as a bona fide ribbon slut I can still hold my head up.

> Youse was framed! They obviously recognized your labels and andand...
> oh heck,

LOL! Avery 5160s bearing name, lot#, entry#, and processing info. But
you might be right, although mine are not the only computer-generated
labels. :-)

> good job girlfriend.

Thanks, Maxine. I blush for compliment.

> Anything the judges didn't like, I'll give you
> ribbons for. But I have to taste it first<g>
>
> maixne in ri

Pay about $17 for shipping (and understand that the jars have been
opened and have NOT been re-processed) and they're yours. I'm talking
about the jars that have been judged and returned to me.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - Yes, I Can! blog - check it out
And check this, too:
<http://www.myfoxtwincities.com/dpp/m...gies_Dale_fair
_august_17_2009>
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Victor Sack > wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>
> > First Place
> > Bread & Butter Pickles
> > Watermelon Pickles

> Yet another disaster ĄV just as I predicted! And this time it is much,
> much worse - just 2 (two) measly blue ribbons - a total, complete
> disgrace!

Finally, someone who is not afraid to speak the truth, no matter how
cruel it may seem to some.

> I do realise that you are in deep mourning this morning. I've heard
> your family has disowned you - and I sympathise (with them).

Only Becky. And I've disowned her. The jewelry is going to someone else.

> You won't be able to show your face in public for many years to come,

Wrong. It'll be on the local NBC affiliate this afternoon. I have no
shame.

> so the only real solution for you is to move far, far away at once
> and to change your name, identity and appearance as soon as possible.
> An extensive plastic surgery will be required, I'm afraid.

You pay and I'm game. Tummy tuck (how about tummy lop), eyelid lift, boob lifts ?
have you got that kind of green?

> I'd offer some help, but a mere rumour of it would irreparably damage my
> career and reputation, so... you understand...

Oh, Bubba, your reputation isn't at risk of being damaged, believe me.

> And all this just because of your obstinate refusal to submit a sample
> of the one and only celestial, transcendental, incomparable Barb's Beety
> Beauty!

<sigh> I don't know if they would allow it because of the Kool-Aid! I
still have the package of raspberry K-A, just in case I ever change my
mind.

> So sad.

Let me get you a tissue, Sweetums.

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - Yes, I Can! blog - check it out
And check this, too: <http://www.myfoxtwincities.com/dpp/morning_news/
canned_veggies_Dale_fair_august_17_2009>

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
The Cook > wrote:
> Congratulations.
>
> Sounds like they got some new judges.

Hmmm. Interesting thought. I will do some sleuthing.

> Last year at the Dixie Classic Fair some of us did not do as well as
> before. The woman in charge said that they had new judges and more entries and
>> entrants than they had had in a long time.

> I am skipping this year. Both the garden and I were not up to par.

I'm getting better tomatoes than I usually do. Just for table use and
they're really good.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - Yes, I Can! blog - check it out
And check this, too:
http://abcnews.go.com/Business/story?id=8279841&page=1
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> Well, a fine case of jars this turned out to be!Â* <grin>Â* Therešll be
> no Olympic-style medallion around my neck this year.
>
> One thing I thought of interest: as I was doing a quick scan of the
> ribbon winners, there didnšt seem to be any one or two folks who were
> cleaning up in the lots.Â* Seems like there is wide distribution of the
> ribbons; Išll have to study the data further to see if my first
> thoughts about it are correct.
>
> Here are the results for my 20 canning entries:
>
> First Place
> Bread & Butter Pickles

<snip>

Congrats, Barb.

Had a feeling you'd get a Blue ribbon for those - those pics you posted
of them looked PDG (and they did pass Rob's quality inspection, did
they not?)

> Okay, thatšs 9 ribbons or placings out of 20 possibilities.Â*
> Forty-five percent.Â* I think as a bona fide ribbon slut I can still
> hold my head up.

Not too shabby, at all, at all. ;-)

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
ChattyCathy > wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>
> > Well, a fine case of jars this turned out to be!īŋŊ <grin>īŋŊ Therešll be
> > no Olympic-style medallion around my neck this year.
> >
> > One thing I thought of interest: as I was doing a quick scan of the
> > ribbon winners, there didnšt seem to be any one or two folks who were
> > cleaning up in the lots.Â* Seems like there is wide distribution of the
> > ribbons; Išll have to study the data further to see if my first
> > thoughts about it are correct.
> >
> > Here are the results for my 20 canning entries:
> >
> > First Place
> > Bread & Butter Pickles

> <snip>
>
> Congrats, Barb.
>
> Had a feeling you'd get a Blue ribbon for those - those pics you posted
> of them looked PDG (and they did pass Rob's quality inspection, did
> they not?)

Thank you. They are very good. AFA Rob's QC, any pickle I make passes. :-)
Now he's after me to make more dill pickles. The ones that didn't place
(a bit of bite in them) are the ones he wants. Getting a little late in the season,
though, and I'm about out of gas.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - Yes, I Can! blog - check it out
And check this, too: http://abcnews.go.com/Business/story?id=8279841&page=1
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> Well, a fine case of jars this turned out to be! <grin> Therešll be no
> Olympic-style medallion around my neck this year.
>
> One thing I thought of interest: as I was doing a quick scan of the
> ribbon winners, there didnšt seem to be any one or two folks who were
> cleaning up in the lots. Seems like there is wide distribution of the
> ribbons; Išll have to study the data further to see if my first thoughts
> about it are correct.
>
> Here are the results for my 20 canning entries:
>
> First Place
> Bread & Butter Pickles
> Watermelon Pickles
>
> Second Place
> Raspberry Jelly
> Spiced Tomato Jam (Second place out of 56 entries is nothing to sneeze
> at.)
> Corn Relish
>
> Third Place
> Nectarine Jam
> Apricot Butter (Boo! Hiss-s-s! This rocks!)
>
> Fourth Place
> Dill Pickle with Balsamic and White Vinegar (A Gedney-sponsored lot)
>
> Fifth Place (no ribbon awarded)
> Wild Blueberry Jam
>
> Bupkes!
> Blackberry Jelly
> Mint Jelly (boo! hiss-s-s-s!)
> Cherry Jelly
> Apricot Jam (bummer!)
> Black Raspberry Jam
> Blackberry Jam
> Cherry Jam
> Raspberry Jam
> Strawberry Jam (boo!!! hiss-s-s-s!!)
> Pickled Boiled Dirt Chunks
> Hot Dill Cucumber Pickle with Southwest Flavor
>
> Okay, thatšs 9 ribbons or placings out of 20 possibilities. Forty-five
> percent. I think as a bona fide ribbon slut I can still hold my head up.
>
> --
> -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
> http://web.me.com/barbschaller - Yes, I Can! blog - check it out

Not to worry - you'll always be a slut in my eyes.... (ribbon of course)

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Congratulations!

Becca

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> Well, a fine case of jars this turned out to be! <grin> Therešll be no
> Olympic-style medallion around my neck this year.
>
> One thing I thought of interest: as I was doing a quick scan of the
> ribbon winners, there didnšt seem to be any one or two folks who were
> cleaning up in the lots. Seems like there is wide distribution of the
> ribbons; Išll have to study the data further to see if my first thoughts
> about it are correct.
>
> Here are the results for my 20 canning entries:
>
> First Place
> Bread & Butter Pickles
> Watermelon Pickles

snip> -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Good for you. Are Watermelon Pickles the same as Slippery Jims? Made from
the rind of the melon and cut in spears?
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> Well, a fine case of jars this turned out to be! <grin> Therešll be no
> Olympic-style medallion around my neck this year.
>
> One thing I thought of interest: as I was doing a quick scan of the
> ribbon winners, there didnšt seem to be any one or two folks who were
> cleaning up in the lots. Seems like there is wide distribution of the
> ribbons; Išll have to study the data further to see if my first
> thoughts about it are correct.
>
> Here are the results for my 20 canning entries:
>
> First Place
> Bread & Butter Pickles
> Watermelon Pickles
>
> Second Place
> Raspberry Jelly
> Spiced Tomato Jam (Second place out of 56 entries is nothing to sneeze
> at.)
> Corn Relish
>
> Third Place
> Nectarine Jam
> Apricot Butter (Boo! Hiss-s-s! This rocks!)
>
> Fourth Place
> Dill Pickle with Balsamic and White Vinegar (A Gedney-sponsored lot)
>
> Fifth Place (no ribbon awarded)
> Wild Blueberry Jam
>
> Bupkes!
> Blackberry Jelly
> Mint Jelly (boo! hiss-s-s-s!)
> Cherry Jelly
> Apricot Jam (bummer!)
> Black Raspberry Jam
> Blackberry Jam
> Cherry Jam
> Raspberry Jam
> Strawberry Jam (boo!!! hiss-s-s-s!!)
> Pickled Boiled Dirt Chunks
> Hot Dill Cucumber Pickle with Southwest Flavor
>
> Okay, thatšs 9 ribbons or placings out of 20 possibilities. Forty-five
> percent. I think as a bona fide ribbon slut I can still hold my head
> up.

You will always be *the* #1 Blue Ribbon slut in my heart, my dear...

;-P

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

> In article
> >,
> maxine > wrote:
>
> > On Aug 27, 9:11*pm, Melba's Jammin' >

> (snipped)
> > > Okay, thatšs 9 ribbons or placings out of 20 possibilities.* Forty-five
> > > percent.* I think as a bona fide ribbon slut I can still hold my head up.

> > Youse was framed! They obviously recognized your labels and andand...
> > oh heck,

> LOL! Avery 5160s bearing name, lot#, entry#, and processing info. But
> you might be right, although mine are not the only computer-generated
> labels. :-)
>
> > good job girlfriend.

> Thanks, Maxine. I blush for compliment.
>
> > Anything the judges didn't like, I'll give you
> > ribbons for. But I have to taste it first<g>
> >
> > maixne in ri

> Pay about $17 for shipping (and understand that the jars have been
> opened and have NOT been re-processed) and they're yours. I'm talking
> about the jars that have been judged and returned to me.

I think state fair judges should do blind tastings. Each entry should
get a unique computer-generated code number. Once the verdicts are in,
the code can be broken. However, that might result in Barb's taking
home every last ribbon... Oh, rapture!

All in all, you still done good!

Cindy

--
C.J. Fuller

Delete the obvious to email me
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> Well, a fine case of jars this turned out to be! <grin> Therešll be no
> Olympic-style medallion around my neck this year.
>
> One thing I thought of interest: as I was doing a quick scan of the
> ribbon winners, there didnšt seem to be any one or two folks who were
> cleaning up in the lots. Seems like there is wide distribution of the
> ribbons; Išll have to study the data further to see if my first thoughts
> about it are correct.
>
> Here are the results for my 20 canning entries:
>
> First Place
> Bread & Butter Pickles
> Watermelon Pickles
>
> Second Place
> Raspberry Jelly
> Spiced Tomato Jam (Second place out of 56 entries is nothing to sneeze
> at.)
> Corn Relish
>
> Third Place
> Nectarine Jam
> Apricot Butter (Boo! Hiss-s-s! This rocks!)
>
> Fourth Place
> Dill Pickle with Balsamic and White Vinegar (A Gedney-sponsored lot)
>
> Fifth Place (no ribbon awarded)
> Wild Blueberry Jam
>
> Bupkes!
> Blackberry Jelly
> Mint Jelly (boo! hiss-s-s-s!)
> Cherry Jelly
> Apricot Jam (bummer!)
> Black Raspberry Jam
> Blackberry Jam
> Cherry Jam
> Raspberry Jam
> Strawberry Jam (boo!!! hiss-s-s-s!!)
> Pickled Boiled Dirt Chunks
> Hot Dill Cucumber Pickle with Southwest Flavor
>
> Okay, thatšs 9 ribbons or placings out of 20 possibilities. Forty-five
> percent. I think as a bona fide ribbon slut I can still hold my head up.

Not too shabby, Barb.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article

> I think state fair judges should do blind tastings.

They do blind judging here. I have to label my entries with product
name, lot#, entry#, processing info * name is not allowed. Label and
processing info are part of the score

Each entry should
> get a unique computer-generated code number. Once the verdicts are in,
> the code can be broken. However, that might result in Barb's taking
> home every last ribbon... Oh, rapture!

Oh, perish the thought! LOL! I just want a ribbon for Pickled Boiled
Dirt Chunks.

> All in all, you still done good!
>
> Cindy

Thanks. It's a good time.