Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Canning Tomatoes For The First Time

Beti wrote:

> I used SETP's recipe for raw pack tomatoes in water (2T lemon juice,
> boiling water, 1/2 in headspace, 40 min BWB). While they were
> processing, I was rereading the recipe and decided that the water that
> I added to the jars probably hadn't been actually boiling so I
> processed for 85 minutes per the tomatoes in juice recipe.

> Second, the quarts seem to have tomato bits stuck in the "corners" -
> inside the jar where the rim meets the lid. I shook the jars to see
> if I could dislodge them but they are stuck fast. This tells me there
> is probably tomato under the lid and the jar may not have sealed
> properly. There is also a 1-2 inches of liquid at the bottom of the
> jars and about an inch of tomato sticking out of the liquid at the
> top. The lids don't flex when I push down on them and they don't move
> when I try to pull them off but I'm thinking I'll probably toss those
> two.
>
> I'm thinking that the headspace wasn't quite correct and that there
> may not have been enough boiling water over the tops of the jars.
> (Probably closer to 1 inch than 2.)
>
> Any input will be appreciated.

Won't comment on question 1.

Question 2: Our method for canning tomatoes in a BWB is: scald
'em,(only a minute or two to loosen the skin) peel em, cut 'em up, pack
'em with a little vinegar 15ml/pint or 30ml /quart and process 15
minutes for pints, 20 minutes for quarts. We never add liquid.
We only fill jars to the bottom of the neck, so probably closer to an
inch of headspace.

We start timing when the BWB starts boiling vigorously, and only have
maybe an inch or water covering the jars.

Stuff coming out is usually an indication of too full a jar; it does
expand a little when in the BWB.

The tomatoes floating up is normal, usually settles when sitting in the
pantry.

Don't throw jars out that don't seal; leave a little more headspace and
freeze, or make pasta sauce, chili, soup, etc.

Our method is from Putting Food By, probably 30 year old book by now.

PLEASE; no flames. Yeah it's 30+ years old. This is what we do. Not
gonna change our method based on your rant. Follow the latest to be safe
if it makes you feel better.

Mark
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Tue, 14 Sep 2010 07:25:33 -0500, pheasant16 >
wrote:

>PLEASE; no flames. Yeah it's 30+ years old. This is what we do. Not
>gonna change our method based on your rant. Follow the latest to be safe
>if it makes you feel better.
>Mark

Not a flame nor a rant, just a simple statement of fact.
I and most others on this group will continue to 'follow the latest',
knowing we're doing our best to safeguard family and friends. I'll be
turning 76 in a couple of weeks but, I'm sure as Hell not stuck in the
past.

Ross.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 9/15/2010 10:43 AM, Ross@home wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Sep 2010 07:25:33 -0500, >
> wrote:
>
>> PLEASE; no flames. Yeah it's 30+ years old. This is what we do. Not
>> gonna change our method based on your rant. Follow the latest to be safe
>> if it makes you feel better.
>> Mark

> Not a flame nor a rant, just a simple statement of fact.
> I and most others on this group will continue to 'follow the latest',
> knowing we're doing our best to safeguard family and friends. I'll be
> turning 76 in a couple of weeks but, I'm sure as Hell not stuck in the
> past.
>
> Ross.

Hear, hear. That's why always recommend folks go to:
http://tinyurl.com/9fy34
for advice on how to preserve foods. The food scientists at the
University of Georgia do a really good job of helping us keep our food
supply, particularly home preserved food, safe and healthy.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >, pheasant16 >
wrote:

> Beti wrote:
> > Second, the quarts seem to have tomato bits stuck in the "corners" -
> > inside the jar where the rim meets the lid. I shook the jars to see
> > if I could dislodge them but they are stuck fast. This tells me there
> > is probably tomato under the lid and the jar may not have sealed
> > properly. There is also a 1-2 inches of liquid at the bottom of the
> > jars and about an inch of tomato sticking out of the liquid at the
> > top. The lids don't flex when I push down on them and they don't move
> > when I try to pull them off but I'm thinking I'll probably toss those
> > two.

(snipped)
> Question 2: Our method for canning tomatoes in a BWB is: scald
> 'em,(only a minute or two to loosen the skin) peel em, cut 'em up, pack
> 'em with a little vinegar 15ml/pint or 30ml /quart and process 15
> minutes for pints, 20 minutes for quarts. We never add liquid.
> We only fill jars to the bottom of the neck, so probably closer to an
> inch of headspace.
>
> We start timing when the BWB starts boiling vigorously, and only have
> maybe an inch or water covering the jars.
>
> Stuff coming out is usually an indication of too full a jar; it does
> expand a little when in the BWB.
>
> The tomatoes floating up is normal, usually settles when sitting in the
> pantry.
>
> Don't throw jars out that don't seal; leave a little more headspace and
> freeze, or make pasta sauce, chili, soup, etc.
>
> Our method is from Putting Food By, probably 30 year old book by now.
>
> PLEASE; no flames. Yeah it's 30+ years old. This is what we do. Not
> gonna change our method based on your rant. Follow the latest to be safe
> if it makes you feel better.
>
> Mark

I don't think I've ever seen anyone here rant, Mark * but as soon as you
post here you have to expect discussion and differences of opinion.

You've posted enough here that you're probably familiar with our
preference for the info on the National Center for Home Food
Preservation site: <http://www.uga.edu/nchfp>. I wouldn't call it
ranting. Their current bwb recommendation for tomatoes without added
liquid is 45 minutes for quarts.

If you like Putting Food By (lots of folks swear by it‹it has a lot of
info about various preserving methods), maybe you want to pick up the
Fifth Edition, published in May 2010. My copy of the Fourth Edition of
PFB doesn't seem to have any times for raw pack tomatoes-only. Their
info is for hot pack only.

Here's the Amazon link to the newest PFB:
<http://www.amazon.com/Putting-Food-F.../0452296226/re
f=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1284833237&sr=1-1>

--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Holy Order of the Sacred Sisters of St. Pectina of Jella
Posted to rec.food.preserving

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article >, pheasant16 >
> wrote:
>
> I don't think I've ever seen anyone here rant, Mark * but as soon as you
> post here you have to expect discussion and differences of opinion.

Thanks Barb

I guess I forget this is about the only Usenet group where folks still
are civil.

I apologize to the group for my wording; and will indeed peek at the
link you posted to Univ of Ga.

Mark

Posted to rec.food.preserving
ST ST is offline

>>differences of opinion.

Unnecessary comment:
Everyone here is _!_NOT_!_ in favor of severe food related difficulties.*
No one here differs on that point.

Shawn Turner
Ohio, USA
*Such as everyone who has eaten the badly preserved food having a very bad to
somewhat horrible two to five day long death.
SDT

Canning Tomatoes For The First Time Melba's Jammin' Preserving 2 19-09-2010 10:29 PM
canning tomatoes Dave[_33_] Preserving 3 05-09-2008 02:08 AM
Canning Tomatoes Kswck General Cooking 86 20-08-2007 05:53 AM
Canning Tomatoes.... doug ventura General Cooking 3 06-10-2004 05:26 PM
canning tomatoes Rick MacDougall Preserving 13 02-09-2004 12:04 AM