Rick MacDougall

Default canning tomatoes

I was wondering how much salt you need to add to tomotoes for canning. Also
we might not get to them for a while, and wonder if they can be frozen until
opportunity comes up for canning. And is there a special way to do that.
Thanks alot.

Pinky

zxcvbob

Rick MacDougall wrote:
> I was wondering how much salt you need to add to tomotoes for canning.

However much or little you think will taste the best. The salt is just
for seasoning, it does not add significantly to the preservation.

> Also
> we might not get to them for a while, and wonder if they can be frozen until
> opportunity comes up for canning. And is there a special way to do that.
> Thanks alot.

Freezing with destroy the texture of the tomatoes, then canning will
mush them even further. I don't recommend this at all. Do you have
room in the freezer to leave them there?

Best regards,
Bob
zxcvbob

Rick MacDougall wrote:
> I was wondering how much salt you need to add to tomotoes for canning.

However much or little you think will taste the best. The salt is just
for seasoning, it does not add significantly to the preservation.

> Also
> we might not get to them for a while, and wonder if they can be frozen until
> opportunity comes up for canning. And is there a special way to do that.
> Thanks alot.

Freezing with destroy the texture of the tomatoes, then canning will
mush them even further. I don't recommend this at all. Do you have
room in the freezer to leave them there?

Best regards,
Bob
Dwayne

I use a teaspoon per quart. Try a batch and adjust to taste.

I agree with Bob about frreezing them first. I tried it and they look
terrible, so bad in fact, I am afraid to try eating them.

Dwayne

"Rick MacDougall" > wrote in message
> I was wondering how much salt you need to add to tomotoes for canning.

Also
> we might not get to them for a while, and wonder if they can be frozen

until
> opportunity comes up for canning. And is there a special way to do that.
> Thanks alot.
>
> Pinky

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, "Rick MacDougall"
> wrote:

> I was wondering how much salt you need to add to tomotoes for
> canning. Also we might not get to them for a while, and wonder if
> they can be frozen until opportunity comes up for canning. And is
> there a special way to do that. Thanks alot.
>

> Pinky

You don't need to add any salt. It's not a requirement for safety; just
for taste. Here's a link to some reliable information about canning
tomatoes: http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/can3_tomato.html

As for freezing, you can just leave them in the freezer and use them at
will for recipes. Take the stem off first. I surely would not freeze
them as a means of temporary storage before canning unless I were going
to make sauce or juice to can. And then I wouldn't do it. The texture
of the frozen tomato when thawed is pretty soft; cooking it again before
canning will render it mush. Unless, of course, you just want a jar of
mushy tomatoes -- maybe not a bad idea for spaghetti sauce or use in a
hotdish.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> An update on 8/22/04; check the Fairs Fare tab.

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, "Rick MacDougall"
> wrote:

> I was wondering how much salt you need to add to tomotoes for
> canning. Also we might not get to them for a while, and wonder if
> they can be frozen until opportunity comes up for canning. And is
> there a special way to do that. Thanks alot.
>

> Pinky

You don't need to add any salt. It's not a requirement for safety; just
for taste. Here's a link to some reliable information about canning
tomatoes: http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/can3_tomato.html

As for freezing, you can just leave them in the freezer and use them at
will for recipes. Take the stem off first. I surely would not freeze
them as a means of temporary storage before canning unless I were going
to make sauce or juice to can. And then I wouldn't do it. The texture
of the frozen tomato when thawed is pretty soft; cooking it again before
canning will render it mush. Unless, of course, you just want a jar of
mushy tomatoes -- maybe not a bad idea for spaghetti sauce or use in a
hotdish.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> An update on 8/22/04; check the Fairs Fare tab.

nutNhoney

Rick MacDougall wrote:

> I was wondering how much salt you need to add to tomotoes for canning. Also
> we might not get to them for a while, and wonder if they can be frozen until
> opportunity comes up for canning. And is there a special way to do that.
> Thanks alot.
>
> Pinky

I've been doing a lot of tomatoes the last week, 5 hampers so far.
Tomatoes, Canning & Speciality Recipes by Bernardin indicates that salt
is optional for crushed, whole, sauce, and juice. I don't use salt if
possible. Amount of salt for the above mentioned if adding is: 1/2 tsp
per 500 ml (pint) jar, 1 tsp per 1 L (quart) jar. Whole tomatoes and
juice can be processed in 1.5 L jars. Add 1 1/4 tsp to each jar. HTH
nutNhoney

Rick MacDougall wrote:

> I was wondering how much salt you need to add to tomotoes for canning. Also
> we might not get to them for a while, and wonder if they can be frozen until
> opportunity comes up for canning. And is there a special way to do that.
> Thanks alot.
>
> Pinky

I've been doing a lot of tomatoes the last week, 5 hampers so far.
Tomatoes, Canning & Speciality Recipes by Bernardin indicates that salt
is optional for crushed, whole, sauce, and juice. I don't use salt if
possible. Amount of salt for the above mentioned if adding is: 1/2 tsp
per 500 ml (pint) jar, 1 tsp per 1 L (quart) jar. Whole tomatoes and
juice can be processed in 1.5 L jars. Add 1 1/4 tsp to each jar. HTH
Melba's Jammin'

How is it they look so terrible, Dwayne? If they were processed
properly, they should be safe to eat. Don't confuse good looking and
safe. :-)
-Barb

In article >, "Dwayne"

--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> An update on 8/22/04; check the Fairs Fare tab.

Melba's Jammin'

--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> An update on 8/22/04; check the Fairs Fare tab.

Dwayne

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> How is it they look so terrible, Dwayne? If they were processed
> properly, they should be safe to eat. Don't confuse good looking and
> safe. :-)
> -Barb

I will try them, but half of the tomatoes in the jar floats and half sinks.
I didnt know if it was smart to eat something that cant make up its mind.

I also added tobasco sauce and raw garlic cloves to some of the jars before
hot bathing. Was that OK, of should I have pressure canned it after adding
them?

Dwayne

> In article >, "Dwayne"
> > wrote:
>
> > I use a teaspoon per quart. Try a batch and adjust to taste.
> >
> > I agree with Bob about frreezing them first. I tried it and they look
> > terrible, so bad in fact, I am afraid to try eating them.
> >
> > Dwayne
> >
> > "Rick MacDougall" > wrote in message
> > > I was wondering how much salt you need to add to tomotoes for
> > > canning. Also we might not get to them for a while, and wonder if
> > > they can be frozen until opportunity comes up for canning. And is
> > > there a special way to do that. Thanks alot.
> > >
> > > Pinky
> > >

> --
> -Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> An update on 8/22/04; check the Fairs Fare

tab.

Dwayne

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> How is it they look so terrible, Dwayne? If they were processed
> properly, they should be safe to eat. Don't confuse good looking and
> safe. :-)
> -Barb

I will try them, but half of the tomatoes in the jar floats and half sinks.
I didnt know if it was smart to eat something that cant make up its mind.

I also added tobasco sauce and raw garlic cloves to some of the jars before
hot bathing. Was that OK, of should I have pressure canned it after adding
them?

Dwayne

> In article >, "Dwayne"
> > wrote:
>
> > I use a teaspoon per quart. Try a batch and adjust to taste.
> >
> > I agree with Bob about frreezing them first. I tried it and they look
> > terrible, so bad in fact, I am afraid to try eating them.
> >
> > Dwayne
> >
> > "Rick MacDougall" > wrote in message
> > > I was wondering how much salt you need to add to tomotoes for
> > > canning. Also we might not get to them for a while, and wonder if
> > > they can be frozen until opportunity comes up for canning. And is
> > > there a special way to do that. Thanks alot.
> > >
> > > Pinky
> > >

> --
> -Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> An update on 8/22/04; check the Fairs Fare

tab.

Rick MacDougall

Thank you for your responses.

Pinky

"Rick MacDougall" > wrote in message
> I was wondering how much salt you need to add to tomotoes for canning.

Also
> we might not get to them for a while, and wonder if they can be frozen

until
> opportunity comes up for canning. And is there a special way to do that.
> Thanks alot.
>
> Pinky

Rick MacDougall

Thank you for your responses.

Pinky

"Rick MacDougall" > wrote in message
> I was wondering how much salt you need to add to tomotoes for canning.

Also
> we might not get to them for a while, and wonder if they can be frozen

until
> opportunity comes up for canning. And is there a special way to do that.
> Thanks alot.
>
> Pinky

Newbe - Canning Tomatoes? Dan L. Preserving 82 06-09-2009 11:21 PM
canning tomatoes Dave[_33_] Preserving 3 05-09-2008 02:08 AM
de-seeding tomatoes for canning [email protected] Preserving 6 19-08-2008 04:30 AM
Canning Tomatoes Kswck General Cooking 86 20-08-2007 05:53 AM
Canning Tomatoes.... doug ventura General Cooking 3 06-10-2004 05:26 PM