Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Reduced Sugar pectin?

Can anyone tell me what the chemical difference is between "regular"
(yellow box) and "less sugar" (pink box) pectin (SureJel brand)? I have
read the ingredients and they don't seem that different (yellow has
citric acid, pink has fumaric acid and sodium citrate.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >,
"gloria.p" > wrote:

> Can anyone tell me what the chemical difference is between "regular"
> (yellow box) and "less sugar" (pink box) pectin (SureJel brand)? I have
> read the ingredients and they don't seem that different (yellow has
> citric acid, pink has fumaric acid and sodium citrate.
>
> gloria p

It's a different kind of pectin - how's that? :-) It's called low
methoxyl pectin. There are a boatload of different pectin types
available to commercial producers, each with different applications and
characteristics. Look up a pectin producer in Oakhurst, CA -- National
Pectin?? I think they have descriptions.

--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Holy Order of the Sacred Sisters of
Posted to rec.food.preserving

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article >,
> "gloria.p" > wrote:
>
>> Can anyone tell me what the chemical difference is between "regular"
>> (yellow box) and "less sugar" (pink box) pectin (SureJel brand)? I have
>> read the ingredients and they don't seem that different (yellow has
>> citric acid, pink has fumaric acid and sodium citrate.
>>
>> gloria p

> It's a different kind of pectin - how's that? :-) It's called low
> methoxyl pectin. There are a boatload of different pectin types
> available to commercial producers, each with different applications and
> characteristics. Look up a pectin producer in Oakhurst, CA -- National
> Pectin?? I think they have descriptions.

THX.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.preserving

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article >,
> "gloria.p" > wrote:
>
>> Can anyone tell me what the chemical difference is between "regular"
>> (yellow box) and "less sugar" (pink box) pectin (SureJel brand)? I have
>> read the ingredients and they don't seem that different (yellow has
>> citric acid, pink has fumaric acid and sodium citrate.
>>
>> gloria p

> It's a different kind of pectin - how's that? :-) It's called low
> methoxyl pectin. There are a boatload of different pectin types
> available to commercial producers, each with different applications and
> characteristics. Look up a pectin producer in Oakhurst, CA -- National
> Pectin?? I think they have descriptions.

Pacific Pectin, and OMG what a lot of information! I need to save the
URL till I'm more awake.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >,
"gloria.p" > wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> > In article >,
> > "gloria.p" > wrote:
> >
> >> Can anyone tell me what the chemical difference is between "regular"
> >> (yellow box) and "less sugar" (pink box) pectin (SureJel brand)? I have
> >> read the ingredients and they don't seem that different (yellow has
> >> citric acid, pink has fumaric acid and sodium citrate.
> >>
> >> gloria p

> > It's a different kind of pectin - how's that? :-) It's called low
> > methoxyl pectin. There are a boatload of different pectin types
> > available to commercial producers, each with different applications and
> > characteristics. Look up a pectin producer in Oakhurst, CA -- National
> > Pectin?? I think they have descriptions.
> >

> Pacific Pectin, and OMG what a lot of information! I need to save the
> URL till I'm more awake.
>
> gloria p

There you go!! Pacific Pectin. My brother lives in Oakhurst, so I
hoped that if I had the name wrong you'd still be able to find them. :-)