Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default 1st half of the garden is planted!

Finally had a day when the confluence of weather, dryish ground and time
(been in Minn-e-sota the last week or so...shhhh don't tell Mom that I
didn't have time to stop by and see her)

In the ground and looking mighty fine a

Tomatoes
Better Boy (X6)
Beefsteak (X6)
Roma (X6)
Cherokee Purple
Beefeater

Peppers
Salsa Pepper (X6)
Jalapeno (X2)
Orange/Yellow/Green Bell (X6)
Fooled Ya (Jumbo Jalapeno without the heat)

Cucumbers
Zucchini Squash
Yellow Squash
Watermelon
Cantaloupe

Coming up next week will be:

Peas
Green Beans
Corn
Sunflowers
Variety of ornamental flowers

Later on we'll plant the Pumpkins

Update on the perennial crops....
Cherries are about 1-2 weeks away from being ready to pick
Apples, Peaches, Pears & Blueberries are having a banner year and I have
plums for the very first time on a tree that just turned 4 years old.

KW

Posted to rec.food.preserving,rec.gardens.edible

KW wrote:
> Finally had a day when the confluence of weather, dryish ground and time
> (been in Minn-e-sota the last week or so...shhhh don't tell Mom that I
> didn't have time to stop by and see her)
>
> In the ground and looking mighty fine a
>
> Tomatoes
> Better Boy (X6)
> Beefsteak (X6)
> Roma (X6)
> Cherokee Purple
> Beefeater
>
> Peppers
> Salsa Pepper (X6)
> Jalapeno (X2)
> Orange/Yellow/Green Bell (X6)
> Fooled Ya (Jumbo Jalapeno without the heat)
>
> Cucumbers
> Zucchini Squash
> Yellow Squash
> Watermelon
> Cantaloupe
>
> Coming up next week will be:
>
> Peas
> Green Beans
> Corn
> Sunflowers
> Variety of ornamental flowers
>
> Later on we'll plant the Pumpkins
>
> Update on the perennial crops....
> Cherries are about 1-2 weeks away from being ready to pick
> Apples, Peaches, Pears & Blueberries are having a banner year and I have
> plums for the very first time on a tree that just turned 4 years old.
>
> KW

I have very little planted, but getting started. Onion sets are up
good, and so is the mint. I've set out 2 Better Boy tomato plants
(small ones) and a couple of big basil plants that Mrs. bought for
me. The volunteer dill is coming up all over the place. And the
way too many year-old carrot plants (the carrots are impressive the
2nd year; they'll get 6 feet tall and bloom like Queen Anne's Lace)
I don't ever harvest the carrots; they aren't any good. I just
let them reseed every year and leave a few for cut flowers.

I have 2 more Better Boy plants to set out this weekend, and a
little pot full of Roma seedlings and another pot with a few Stupice
seedlings.

Also planning to grow jalapeño and de arbol peppers, hybrid okra,
Tatume squash, pole beans, sunflowers, radishes, and more basil. I
need to get the radish and bean seeds in the ground. The rest can
wait another week or two; don't want to rush it cuz the nights are
still too cool. My tomatoes look kind of purple from getting
chilled, but they are growing so I'm not worried. I haven't decided
whether to plant the sunflowers in the flower bed or in the garden.
I should probably put them in the garden within reach of the pole
beans, and put some of the *peppers* (the de arbols) in the flower bed.

I haven't seen any volunteer tomatillos yet.

The apple tree has a good crop this year, I'll need to thin the
fruit. (I should spray it tomorrow)

Bob
Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >,
"KW" > wrote:

> Finally had a day when the confluence of weather, dryish ground and time
> (been in Minn-e-sota the last week or so...shhhh don't tell Mom that I
> didn't have time to stop by and see her)
> KW

Never mind Mom.
Sorry I didn't know ‹ I'd've browbeat you into a cup of coffee.
Whereabouts were you? Better not have been in the Twin Cities.

--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller
Posted to rec.food.preserving

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "KW" > wrote:
>
>> Finally had a day when the confluence of weather, dryish ground and time
>> (been in Minn-e-sota the last week or so...shhhh don't tell Mom that I
>> didn't have time to stop by and see her)
>> KW

> Never mind Mom.
> Sorry I didn't know < I'd've browbeat you into a cup of coffee.
> Whereabouts were you? Better not have been in the Twin Cities.

Errrrr,,,Ummmmmm....Not so much to the Twin Cities exactly, more like just
through them. Flew in to MSP and then drove to our office in the Blaine/Ham
Lake area.

Next time I'm gonna be in town more than just a few hours, I'll give you a
shout....promise.

Keith
> --
> Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
> http://web.me.com/barbschaller
> Updated 4-24-2010 with food story and pictures

Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >,
"KW" > wrote:

> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> > In article >,
> > "KW" > wrote:
> >
> >> Finally had a day when the confluence of weather, dryish ground and time
> >> (been in Minn-e-sota the last week or so...shhhh don't tell Mom that I
> >> didn't have time to stop by and see her)
> >> KW

> > Never mind Mom.
> > Sorry I didn't know < I'd've browbeat you into a cup of coffee.
> > Whereabouts were you? Better not have been in the Twin Cities.

> Errrrr,,,Ummmmmm....Not so much to the Twin Cities exactly, more like just
> through them. Flew in to MSP and then drove to our office in the Blaine/Ham
> Lake area.
>
> Next time I'm gonna be in town more than just a few hours, I'll give you a
> shout....promise.
>
> Keith

You DO that, Sonny. I'm 20 minutes from the airport and could have met
you anywhere near there. I'm tellin' yer ma, too!! Blaine/Ham Lake are
part of the area. Pffthhgggbbtt!