Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Putting it by on Sunday

I have four trays of Mexican Mint Marigold and three of oregano on the
dehydrator. The whole house smells of licorice. Probably going to be a
years supply of tarragon substitute but I will be harvesting more
oregano as the stuff is growing like the weed it is.

Getting ready to put up a few more jars of pickled green beans. Think I
will can both dill and basil this time, not together but in separate
batches. Wonder what pickled green beans with mint would taste like? Got
a world of mint growing out there.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

George Shirley wrote:
> I have four trays of Mexican Mint Marigold and three of oregano on the
> dehydrator. The whole house smells of licorice. Probably going to be a
> years supply of tarragon substitute but I will be harvesting more
> oregano as the stuff is growing like the weed it is.
>
> Getting ready to put up a few more jars of pickled green beans. Think I
> will can both dill and basil this time, not together but in separate
> batches. Wonder what pickled green beans with mint would taste like? Got
> a world of mint growing out there.

I use dried mint as a substitute for bay leaf. Try it; it works.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.preserving

zxcvbob wrote:
> George Shirley wrote:
>> I have four trays of Mexican Mint Marigold and three of oregano on the
>> dehydrator. The whole house smells of licorice. Probably going to be a
>> years supply of tarragon substitute but I will be harvesting more
>> oregano as the stuff is growing like the weed it is.
>>
>> Getting ready to put up a few more jars of pickled green beans. Think
>> I will can both dill and basil this time, not together but in separate
>> batches. Wonder what pickled green beans with mint would taste like?
>> Got a world of mint growing out there.

> I use dried mint as a substitute for bay leaf. Try it; it works.
>
> Bob

The taste is totally different to me and I grow both of them here.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

George Shirley wrote:
> I have four trays of Mexican Mint Marigold and three of oregano on the
> dehydrator.

I'm curious about your Mont Marigold. I've never heard of it before you
posted a while back. If you use it as a substitute for tarragon, I
guess I don't need it because right now we have a large perennial
tarragon taking over a half whiskey barrel planter.

> Wonder what pickled green beans with mint would taste like? Got
> a world of mint growing out there.

Mmmm, Moroccan mint tea over ice in a big glass.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.preserving

gloria.p wrote:
> George Shirley wrote:
>> I have four trays of Mexican Mint Marigold and three of oregano on the
>> dehydrator.

> I'm curious about your Mont Marigold. I've never heard of it before you
> posted a while back. If you use it as a substitute for tarragon, I
> guess I don't need it because right now we have a large perennial
> tarragon taking over a half whiskey barrel planter.

Mexican Mint Marigold is a low-growing plant with a strong licorice
smell and does well in our area. I've planted real tarragon several
times but it always dies pretty quick. I think it is unhappy with our
heat and humidity. Dehydrating the Mint Marigold left the whole house
smelling faintly of licorice, certainly covers up the two old people and
a dog smell. <G>

>> Wonder what pickled green beans with mint would taste like? Got a
>> world of mint growing out there.

> Mmmm, Moroccan mint tea over ice in a big glass.
>
> gloria p

Ours is just plain old peppermint. Down here in the south it is usually
grown around a water faucet as it demands lots of water. At our farmette
we had spear, pepper, apple and another I can remember mint. The beds
got so big I mowed them with the Farmall Cub tractor. Made the whole
place smell like a big peppermint candy. I can't believe people will buy
the stuff at the Farmer's Market when we go there. I will pot up fifty
to one hundred pots of peppermint, Mexican Mint Marigold, oregano,
thyme, and even lemon trees grown from the seed of the Ponderosa lemons.
People willing pay two bucks a pot for them and we generally sell out.
They're getting six to eight bucks for pint jars of homemade jams and
jellies. One lady puts up pint jars of etouffee sauce and sells them for
seven bucks each. I generally trade for a couple of jars from her. One
guy brings in the best watermelons and we trade for those too. A good
bunch of folks. Miz Anne always manages to sell a few paintings too.
IIRC Barb went to market with us in 2007 but that was before I started
selling stuff I preserved.