Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Making VANILLA not so successfully.....

Hello,
Needing to ask about a fix or correction or if there is anything I can do to
save this.
My brother made some vanilla and we talked to him and also we did a little
research on the internet about how to do this.
The alcohol it said was optimum at 47.5%, and vanilla I believe we did 13.5
oz per gallon of alcohol.
We made three bottles, the first with straight vodka and the second two we
diluted one bottle of everclear with distilled water to make two bottles of
vanilla. So we have three litres extracting and will bottle them up into
smaller portions when they are done.
The PROBLEM is that the two bottles of diluted everclear became cloudy.
This really looks like crap and I wouldn't give them away to people like
this, they were going to be Xmas gifts for Christmas 2010.
IS THERE ANY WAY TO FIX THIS???
People on the internet said they had done it before with EverClear, but we
did not realize it would cloud.
Ugh.

Thanks for any suggestions,
Rita

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"Garland Grower" > wrote in message
> Hello,
> Needing to ask about a fix or correction or if there is anything I can do
> to save this.
> My brother made some vanilla and we talked to him and also we did a little
> research on the internet about how to do this.
> The alcohol it said was optimum at 47.5%, and vanilla I believe we did
> 13.5 oz per gallon of alcohol.
> We made three bottles, the first with straight vodka and the second two we
> diluted one bottle of everclear with distilled water to make two bottles
> of vanilla. So we have three litres extracting and will bottle them up
> into smaller portions when they are done.
> The PROBLEM is that the two bottles of diluted everclear became cloudy.
> This really looks like crap and I wouldn't give them away to people like
> this, they were going to be Xmas gifts for Christmas 2010.
> IS THERE ANY WAY TO FIX THIS???
> People on the internet said they had done it before with EverClear, but we
> did not realize it would cloud.
> Ugh.
>
> Thanks for any suggestions,
> Rita

NO ONE has any comment on how to or how not to make Vanilla??
Do you think I am o/t here? If so, please forgive, I'll post elsewhere.
I thinking drowning something in alcohol qualifies as preserving.
I know I've felt pickled before after a few too many : )

Rita Foust
Farmer Jones Eco Friendly Plants & Produce
Find us on Localharvest.org

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"Garland Grower" > wrote in message

> "Garland Grower" > wrote in message
>> Hello,
>> Needing to ask about a fix or correction or if there is anything I can do
>> to save this.
>> My brother made some vanilla and we talked to him and also we did a
>> little research on the internet about how to do this.
>> The alcohol it said was optimum at 47.5%, and vanilla I believe we did
>> 13.5 oz per gallon of alcohol.
>> We made three bottles, the first with straight vodka and the second two
>> we diluted one bottle of everclear with distilled water to make two
>> bottles of vanilla. So we have three litres extracting and will bottle
>> them up into smaller portions when they are done.
>> The PROBLEM is that the two bottles of diluted everclear became cloudy.
>> This really looks like crap and I wouldn't give them away to people like
>> this, they were going to be Xmas gifts for Christmas 2010.
>> IS THERE ANY WAY TO FIX THIS???
>> People on the internet said they had done it before with EverClear, but
>> we did not realize it would cloud.
>> Ugh.
>>
>> Thanks for any suggestions,
>> Rita
>>

> NO ONE has any comment on how to or how not to make Vanilla??
> Do you think I am o/t here? If so, please forgive, I'll post elsewhere.
> I thinking drowning something in alcohol qualifies as preserving.
> I know I've felt pickled before after a few too many : )
>

> Rita Foust
> Farmer Jones Eco Friendly Plants & Produce
> Find us on Localharvest.org

my experience with this group tells me 1) no one has anything to contribute
to this thread, 2) no one has made home made vanilla, 3) if they have, then
they don't have an explanation for your dilema, 4) as this is , for the most
part, a non preserving season, regular posters aren't checking in to the
group, 5) there's ALWAYS someone lurking who might have a comment, 6) just
be patient - even o/t posts get responses...eventually.....

see?

Kathi,
never made vanailla

Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >,
"Garland Grower" > wrote:

> NO ONE has any comment on how to or how not to make Vanilla??
> Do you think I am o/t here? If so, please forgive, I'll post elsewhere.
> I thinking drowning something in alcohol qualifies as preserving.
> I know I've felt pickled before after a few too many : )

the instructions I was given said to use one bean per 2 ounces of booze.
I used Smirnoff vodka. I haven't bothered to strain it yet. It does
not appear to be "cloudy."
FWIW.

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller 1-9-2010
Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >,
"Garland Grower" > wrote:

> NO ONE has any comment on how to or how not to make Vanilla??
> Do you think I am o/t here?

Maybe, but that wouldn't stop anyone from responding here, I'm pretty
sure. Maybe no one has done it. Try rec.food.cooking. Or maybe
rec.food.baking. Or alt.cooking-chat.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller 1-9-2010

Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >,
"Kathi Jones" > wrote:

> "Garland Grower" > wrote in message

> > NO ONE has any comment on how to or how not to make Vanilla??

> my experience with this group tells me 1) no one has anything to contribute
> to this thread, 2) no one has made home made vanilla, 3) if they have, then
> they don't have an explanation for your dilema, 4) as this is , for the most
> part, a non preserving season, regular posters aren't checking in to the
> group, 5) there's ALWAYS someone lurking who might have a comment, 6) just
> be patient - even o/t posts get responses...eventually.....
>
> see?
>
> Kathi,
> never made vanailla

<g> I only saw the post tonight. About 3 minutes ago. I've replied
with my experience.

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller 1-9-2010
Posted to rec.food.preserving

"Dave Balderstone" > wrote in message
news:220120102300319867%dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_Sbalderst one.ca...
> In article >, Garland
> Grower > wrote:
>
>> NO ONE has any comment on how to or how not to make Vanilla??
>> Do you think I am o/t here? If so, please forgive, I'll post elsewhere.
>> I thinking drowning something in alcohol qualifies as preserving.
>> I know I've felt pickled before after a few too many : )

> It's a low traffic group. People check in and reply when they do. Live
> with it.
>
> But I'm curious... Do you only post to one forum/group/venue at a time?
> Why?

Thanks everyone.
I only posted it here. I guess I should have tried others, but the only
groups I've ever subscribed to where the rec.gardens,
rec.gardens.edible/organic, and now this one. I haven't posted anything in
years, it's not a regular thing for me like checking email. I basically use
it as reference material and get help when I need it. Truthfully, I don't
think the vanilla can be fixed so I did not put a huge effort into it, I
just thought I would ask. I think the recipients of this wonderful gift are
going to have to live with the fact that it's going to be cloudy.
Thanks again,
Rita

Farmer Jones Eco Friendly Plants & Produce
Localharvest.org

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"Garland Grower" > wrote in message

> "Garland Grower" > wrote in message
>> Hello,
>> Needing to ask about a fix or correction or if there is anything I can do
>> to save this.
>> My brother made some vanilla and we talked to him and also we did a
>> little research on the internet about how to do this.
>> The alcohol it said was optimum at 47.5%, and vanilla I believe we did
>> 13.5 oz per gallon of alcohol.
>> We made three bottles, the first with straight vodka and the second two
>> we diluted one bottle of everclear with distilled water to make two
>> bottles of vanilla. So we have three litres extracting and will bottle
>> them up into smaller portions when they are done.
>> The PROBLEM is that the two bottles of diluted everclear became cloudy.
>> This really looks like crap and I wouldn't give them away to people like
>> this, they were going to be Xmas gifts for Christmas 2010.
>> IS THERE ANY WAY TO FIX THIS???
>> People on the internet said they had done it before with EverClear, but
>> we did not realize it would cloud.
>> Ugh.
>>
>> Thanks for any suggestions,
>> Rita
>>

> NO ONE has any comment on how to or how not to make Vanilla??
> Do you think I am o/t here? If so, please forgive, I'll post elsewhere.
> I thinking drowning something in alcohol qualifies as preserving.
> I know I've felt pickled before after a few too many : )

I found your post quite interesting, but have no experience in this matter.
I have been waiting for any replies. Should you learn elsewhere the answer,
please be so kind as to post it here.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Dave Balderstone wrote:
> A quick google search for "cloudy vanilla extract" reveals that adding
> water to the mix will make the extract cloudy, as will grinding the
> vanilla bean instead of chopping it.

I have a bottle (started in November of 2006) that was 24 vanilla beans
shoved into a bottle of vodka. Over the years, I've take a bean or two
out, a few ounces of "juice" and refilled it with 95% alchohol.

This time when I did it, it turned cloudy. The difference is that 9 months
of the year, my kitchen is at least 80F. now, it is closer to 60.

I'll see in a few months when it warms up what happens.

The other side, the liquid from the bottle, made up to a pint with water
from my Brita filter seems fine.

Geoff.

New word I coined 12/13/09, "Sub-Wikipedia" adj, describing knowledge or
understanding, as in he has a sub-wikipedia understanding of the situation.
i.e possessing less facts or information than can be found in the Wikipedia.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

"Dave Balderstone" > wrote in message
news:230120101522547849%dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_Sbalderst one.ca...

> A quick google search for "cloudy vanilla extract" reveals that adding
> water to the mix will make the extract cloudy, as will grinding the
> vanilla bean instead of chopping it.
>
> As for making it "uncloudy", I suggest starting over. Or accepting that
> it's normal.

Yes, thanks..
We knew that putting the distilled water into the Everclear is what made it
cloudy because the one with pure Vodka is fine.
I guess we need to find out what makes water turn alcohol cloudy? Not sure,
but I guess the cost savings of using the Everclear (one liter of everclear
diluted equaled two liters of mix for extracting vanilla beans) was not
really worth it.

Rita
Garland, TX
Zone 7b-8a
Farmer Jones Eco Friendly Plants & Produce
http://www.localharvest.org/farms/M10383

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"Geoffrey S. Mendelson" > wrote in message

> The other side, the liquid from the bottle, made up to a pint with water
> from my Brita filter seems fine.
>
> Geoff.

I'm sorry, did not quite understand that last part... Are you saying you
dilute with purified water the ounces you took out of the bottle to use as
your kitchen/baking vanilla?

Rita
Garland, TX
Zone 7b-8a
Farmer Jones Eco Friendly Plants & Produce
http://www.localharvest.org/farms/M10383

Posted to rec.food.preserving

I too have not experienced cloudiness. Right now, I have vanilla
beans in a fifth of brandy. Been brewing since May 2009 and the only
thing floatin' around in it is little specs of the vanilla and the 1-
inch or so pieces of the beans. I add a scraped bean when I use one--
saw no point in the little bit left on it to go to waste. I give it a
shake every now & then. It smells grand...

: - ]

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Ran??e at Arabian Knits wrote:

> My initial question was why the water was added at all. I make it
> with vodka and with bourbon and I've read of it being made with
> everclear, but never with water added.

The first recipe I found for it used one bean, and brandy diluted 1 part to
2 water. I prefer the low alcohol level.

BTW, I don't use Everclear, I use 95% (drinking) alcohol. I assume Everclear
is a US only product. If I don't dilute it, the vanilla has a "harsh" flavor.

Why don't I use vodka? Because the cheapest vodka is at least twice the price of
the 95% alcohol.

Geoff.

New word I coined 12/13/09, "Sub-Wikipedia" adj, describing knowledge or
understanding, as in he has a sub-wikipedia understanding of the situation.
i.e possessing less facts or information than can be found in the Wikipedia.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:

> BTW, I don't use Everclear, I use 95% (drinking) alcohol. I assume Everclear
> is a US only product.

Everclear is the best known US brand for 95% ethanol. Just a brand
name.

> If I don't dilute it, the vanilla has a "harsh" flavor.

I've only put vanilla in sugar so I can't comment on that.

> Why don't I use vodka? Because the cheapest vodka is at least twice the price of
> the 95% alcohol.

Good reason.

Vodka is ethanol and water. If mixing it makes the result cloudy I
think that's a matter of timing. Mix the ethanol and water to make
homemade vodka, shake and let settle for a bit. Then add the vanilla.
As opposed to add the vanilla to concentrated alcohol and then add the
water.

My theory is the different solubilities or organics in an organic
solvant like alcohol, in an inorganic solvant like water and
in a mixture. I think there's something that dissolved in the nearly
pure alcohol that would not have dissolved in the vodka. When water was
added to it that ingredient precipitated out in a fine dust to form the
cloud.

I wonder if the particles are coarse enough that a coffee filter will
strain them out? They could be so fine that won't work but it's an easy
thing to try.

Alternately you may not be willing to use them as gifts but I bet it
still tastes good. Hot cocoa time!
Posted to rec.food.preserving

--
Rita Foust
Garland, TX
"Ranée at Arabian Knits" > wrote in message
> In article <230120101522547849%dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_Sbalderstone. ca>,
> Dave Balderstone > wrote:
>
>> A quick google search for "cloudy vanilla extract" reveals that adding
>> water to the mix will make the extract cloudy, as will grinding the
>> vanilla bean instead of chopping it.

> My initial question was why the water was added at all. I make it
> with vodka and with bourbon and I've read of it being made with
> everclear, but never with water added.

Everclear's too strong, it's 95 percent alcohol. Research results found
that optimum extraction occurs at 47.5%.
Okay, now I sound like a total geek : P
We used it because it came out cheaper. The dilemma was that you don't want
to use the really cheap vodka, too many impurities etc. So we settled on
Tito's, a handmade Vodka made here in TX. It was on sale for 14.99 but now
is 17.99, it won many awards and was compared to Absolut and some other good
Vodkas. We wanted to do three liters or so to give away at Xmas so we did
one with the Titos. Then we bought the Everclear and diluted by half to do
two more. It all smells yummy, but the Vodka one is beautifully clear, the
other not so much.

Rita

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"Geoffrey S. Mendelson" > wrote in message

> BTW, I don't use Everclear, I use 95% (drinking) alcohol. I assume
> Everclear
> is a US only product. If I don't dilute it, the vanilla has a "harsh"
> flavor.
>
> Why don't I use vodka? Because the cheapest vodka is at least twice the
> price of
> the 95% alcohol.

Exactly! Just what I just explained to the other nice lady.
Everclear is just a brand name of the 95% alcohol, fyi.
We found a site where standards for commercial vanilla here was 13 something
ounces of vanilla bean per gallon of alcohol, so that's what we used, about
24 beans per liter of vodka/ Everclear mix.

Rita
Garland, TX
Zone 7b-8a
Farmer Jones Eco Friendly Plants & Produce
http://www.localharvest.org/farms/M10383

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Doug Freyburger" > wrote in message
> Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
>>

> Vodka is ethanol and water. If mixing it makes the result cloudy I
> think that's a matter of timing. Mix the ethanol and water to make
> homemade vodka, shake and let settle for a bit. Then add the vanilla.
> As opposed to add the vanilla to concentrated alcohol and then add the
> water.

Yep, this makes a lot of sense. If commercial vodka is ethanol and water,
we should be able to make it work too, w/o the cloudiness. Little did we
know we were making homemade Vodka as well as homemade vanilla. I think we
did add the beans to the pure Everclear, then dilute. There are little
drops of oil floating which I have not seen in commercial vanilla, in line
with your theory that the pure alcohol may have pulled that out.

> My theory is the different solubilities or organics in an organic
> solvant like alcohol, in an inorganic solvant like water and
> in a mixture. I think there's something that dissolved in the nearly
> pure alcohol that would not have dissolved in the vodka. When water was
> added to it that ingredient precipitated out in a fine dust to form the
> cloud.

Makes sense.

> I wonder if the particles are coarse enough that a coffee filter will
> strain them out? They could be so fine that won't work but it's an easy
> thing to try.

If I strain this through a coffee filter I will strain out all the loose
vanilla particles which I want to remain in there. I suppose it could be
done at the end after all is extracted out. I'm sure that is what I'll do.
Strain it before we bottle into the smaller bottles for gift giving.

> Alternately you may not be willing to use them as gifts but I bet it
> still tastes good. Hot cocoa time!

Yep! Thanks,

Rita
Garland, TX
Zone 7b-8a
Farmer Jones Eco Friendly Plants & Produce
http://www.localharvest.org/farms/M10383

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Garland Grower wrote:

>The dilemma was that you don't want
> to use the really cheap vodka, too many impurities etc. So we settled on
> Tito's, a handmade Vodka made here in TX. It was on sale for 14.99 but now
> is 17.99, it won many awards and was compared to Absolut and some other good
> Vodkas.

This reminds me of a blind tasting we did with a group in the college
dorms (serious expertese, sure ;^). We got 3 brands of cheap Vodka -
Kamchatka, Popov and something, plus 3 brands of fancy vodka - Absolut,
Finlandia and Stoli straight from the Soviet Union (this was long before
the wall fell).

Once the letter codes on the shot glasses were converted back to the
brands it turned out that no one could tell any of the cheap brands from
each other, no one could tell any of the expensive brands from each
other, about half of us could tell the cheap brands from the expensive
brands.

If you can find an inexpensive vodka that reviews against Absolut I
already know I will not be able to them the two apart in a blind tasting.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Sun, 17 Jan 2010 22:56:55 -0600, "Garland Grower"
> wrote:

>Hello,
>Needing to ask about a fix or correction or if there is anything I can do to
>save this.
>My brother made some vanilla and we talked to him and also we did a little
>research on the internet about how to do this.
>The alcohol it said was optimum at 47.5%, and vanilla I believe we did 13.5
>oz per gallon of alcohol.
>We made three bottles, the first with straight vodka and the second two we
>diluted one bottle of everclear with distilled water to make two bottles of
>vanilla. So we have three litres extracting and will bottle them up into
>smaller portions when they are done.
>The PROBLEM is that the two bottles of diluted everclear became cloudy.
>This really looks like crap and I wouldn't give them away to people like
>this, they were going to be Xmas gifts for Christmas 2010.
>IS THERE ANY WAY TO FIX THIS???
>People on the internet said they had done it before with EverClear, but we
>did not realize it would cloud.
>Ugh.
>
>Thanks for any suggestions,
>Rita

I have made and do make homemade vanilla. I usually make Mexican and
Tahitian vanilla.

I have never used anything except vodka. I allow mine to sit for at
least 6 months. Did you do that? Once I the vanilla beans all split
and scraped into the vodka, and I also use the bean hulls, I shake the
jars and bottles really good every day for a week and then every other
day for the next week. The third week I shake every couple days. By
the 4th week they just sit in the dark. Did you allow them to sit in a
closet or some place dark? I always gave a good shake at least once a
week while it is sitting and brewing.