Old 16-01-2010, 06:27 PM posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Question for all about Making Jelly

I have done quite a few jellies, jams, preserves and marmalades over the
past few years, but I am stuck for some reason on this particular project. I
managed to score a 5lb bag of frozen hulled, halved strawberries and a 4lb
bag of frozen triple berry (blue, rasp and strawberries). I got them at a
fair price, considering the time of year and cost of fresh these days. I
want to make jelly out of both bags. That part I can do. What I am looking
for is an answer to this: Can I extract the juice needed from the frozen
berries to make a normal batch of jelly and THEN use the pulp to make any
decent kind of jam? What do I do to make the jam - add extra water to
compensate for the jelly juice that was extracted? It seems like such a
waste to throw the pulp away, but I don't want to waste my time with it if
the end product won't be very good in the long run. Would I be better off
making the pulp into a butter of sorts? Any help you guys can provide would
be appreciated. I don't want to waste it is I don't have to. I am normally
just a lurker here, and enjoy reading about all of your projects as the
seasons change, but rarely have I posted in the 8 years I've been here.
Thanks again in advance for any help you guys can provide me!

--

Bunny McElwee
Event Coordinator

www.lowcountrymiataclub.net
www.miatasdointhecharleston.com - Miatas Doin' the Charleston II - Doin' it
again in 2010!

Old 16-01-2010, 07:20 PM posted to rec.food.preserving

"Dave Balderstone" wrote in message
news:160120101245005304%[email protected]_O_T_T_H_I_Sbalderst one.ca...
In article , Bunny McElwee
wrote:

[...]

Too much of the flavour is in the juice. You could, I suppose, buy
juice and add it to the pulp but why not just buy the juice and make
your jelly from that?

maybe use some of the juice to make jelly, and put some of the juice back
with the pulp to make jam?

Old 17-01-2010, 10:57 PM posted to rec.food.preserving

"Bunny McElwee" wrote in message
[...]

I go strawberry picking every year. We eat what we can fresh, and I freeze
the rest for later use.

When I thaw them, I strain off the juice and make jelly. Then I make jam
out of the pulp. I don't add water. Results for my jam and jelly are
wonderful.

Barb will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe she does the same thing. I
don't make butters, but she does, so if she adds to this thread, I'm sure
she'll comment on that. When in doubt, ask Barb - she knews pretty much
everything.....about jams, jellies and butters...... :P

Kathi

Jelly Making The Cook Preserving 5 27-04-2012 11:36 PM
Making pear jelly George Shirley[_2_] Preserving 2 15-08-2011 07:28 PM
Making jelly less set Anny Middon Preserving 4 19-07-2006 05:44 AM
Making Jelly Pete Preserving 3 27-06-2004 08:36 PM
Making jelly from roselle Bob Gillespie Preserving 7 04-11-2003 07:53 AM