Straggler

Default fruit purveyor?

Hello all,

Last week I made the mistake (a good one though) of taking a jar of
watermelon rind pickles I made to work with me. Before the day was
over 8 people asked me to make some for them (must be nostalgia for
childhood treats), which was pretty cool, since I figured only 1
friend would like them.

So I thought that my next day off (which was today) I'd go ahead and
make 12 pints (might as well have a few extras). To make a long story
short, my hands are killing me from all the knife work and I've got a
fridge full of watermelon meat that I've no idea what to do with (from
2 large ones and a small round one).

soooo....

Does anyone know of a commercial purveyor of prepared rind strips or
pieces? That would sure make things easier next time, lol.

thanks

scott
Puester

Straggler wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> Last week I made the mistake (a good one though) of taking a jar of
> watermelon rind pickles I made to work with me. Before the day was
> over 8 people asked me to make some for them (must be nostalgia for
> childhood treats), which was pretty cool, since I figured only 1
> friend would like them.
>
> So I thought that my next day off (which was today) I'd go ahead and
> make 12 pints (might as well have a few extras). To make a long story
> short, my hands are killing me from all the knife work and I've got a
> fridge full of watermelon meat that I've no idea what to do with (from
> 2 large ones and a small round one).
>
> soooo....
>
> Does anyone know of a commercial purveyor of prepared rind strips or
> pieces? That would sure make things easier next time, lol.
>
> thanks
>
> scott

No, but I'd suggest handing out copies of the recipe instead
of making pickles for everyone who asks for them. I'd say your
co-workers were a pretty nervy bunch to actually ask you to make
pickles for them.

I'd take a large container of the melon, cut into small
chunks, for the break room at work.

gloria p
Puester

Straggler wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> Last week I made the mistake (a good one though) of taking a jar of
> watermelon rind pickles I made to work with me. Before the day was
> over 8 people asked me to make some for them (must be nostalgia for
> childhood treats), which was pretty cool, since I figured only 1
> friend would like them.
>
> So I thought that my next day off (which was today) I'd go ahead and
> make 12 pints (might as well have a few extras). To make a long story
> short, my hands are killing me from all the knife work and I've got a
> fridge full of watermelon meat that I've no idea what to do with (from
> 2 large ones and a small round one).
>
> soooo....
>
> Does anyone know of a commercial purveyor of prepared rind strips or
> pieces? That would sure make things easier next time, lol.
>
> thanks
>
> scott

No, but I'd suggest handing out copies of the recipe instead
of making pickles for everyone who asks for them. I'd say your
co-workers were a pretty nervy bunch to actually ask you to make
pickles for them.

I'd take a large container of the melon, cut into small
chunks, for the break room at work.

gloria p
Melba's Jammin'

In article >, Straggler
> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> Last week I made the mistake (a good one though) of taking a jar of
> watermelon rind pickles I made to work with me. Before the day was
> over 8 people asked me to make some for them (must be nostalgia for
> childhood treats), which was pretty cool, since I figured only 1
> friend would like them.

Isn't it fun to be surprised? "I haven't had those since. . . ." "My
grandma used to make those. . . ." etc.

> So I thought that my next day off (which was today) I'd go ahead and
> make 12 pints (might as well have a few extras). To make a long story
> short, my hands are killing me from all the knife work and I've got a
> fridge full of watermelon meat that I've no idea what to do with (from
> 2 large ones and a small round one).

Neighbors? Take it to work. Send it to work.

> soooo....
>
> Does anyone know of a commercial purveyor of prepared rind strips or
> pieces? That would sure make things easier next time, lol.

I can't imagine it and if I could, you'd probably have to order a
truckload.

Next time, have those lunkers provide you with peeled rind and tell them
you'll consider it. :-) Or give them the recipe and tell them to
have a go. Or charge them mightily and don't fuss.

--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 9-22-04; Fairs Fare tab.
"Peace will come when the power of love overcomes the love of power."

Straggler

On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 02:33:04 GMT, Puester >
wrote:

>Straggler wrote:
>>
>> Hello all,
>>
>> Last week I made the mistake (a good one though) of taking a jar of
>> watermelon rind pickles I made to work with me. Before the day was
>> over 8 people asked me to make some for them (must be nostalgia for
>> childhood treats), which was pretty cool, since I figured only 1
>> friend would like them.

actually, not nervy at all, as I'm getting $7 a pint for them ( I
named an arbitrary price, lol). On the other hand, all that rind didnt
make 12 pints, in fact it didnt even make 8! I'm thinking these will
have to be a rare treat.

>No, but I'd suggest handing out copies of the recipe instead
>of making pickles for everyone who asks for them. I'd say your
>co-workers were a pretty nervy bunch to actually ask you to make
>pickles for them.

I foisted some off on my sister. thanks for the suggestion though.

>I'd take a large container of the melon, cut into small
>chunks, for the break room at work.
>
>gloria p

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, Straggler
> wrote:

> actually, not nervy at all, as I'm getting $7 a pint for them ( I
> named an arbitrary price, lol).

Good for you! Go for what the traffic will bear! LOL!

--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 9-22-04; Fairs Fare tab.
"Peace will come when the power of love overcomes the love of power."
-Jimi Hendrix, and Lt. Joe Corcoran, Retired; St. Paul PD, Homicide Divn.

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, Straggler

--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 9-22-04; Fairs Fare tab.
"Peace will come when the power of love overcomes the love of power."
-Jimi Hendrix, and Lt. Joe Corcoran, Retired; St. Paul PD, Homicide Divn.

Best fruit James Silverton[_4_] General Cooking 63 07-03-2013 09:40 AM
Fruit Cake - "Fruit Cake.rtf" yEnc (1/1) sf[_9_] General Cooking 0 04-12-2009 10:19 PM
Four RECIPES: "Fruit Spreads" - use concentrated fruit juice for sweetener Melba's Jammin' Preserving 20 27-05-2006 12:51 AM
first fruit William R. Watt Preserving 1 01-08-2005 02:45 AM
Frozen Fruit versus fresh fruit [email protected] Baking 2 03-02-2005 09:38 PM