Melba's Jammin'

In article et>,
> wrote:

> zxcvbob > wrote:
> > It freezes very well, but that's pretty much the only option that works
> > for preserving it.

> from a caterer on news:rec.food.cooking I learned to freeze herbs
> in vinegar or sherry in small cubes e.g. ice cube trays...

Or water. I think vinegar or sherry would add unwanted flavor. (Would
the sherry freeze?)
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 9-22-04; Fairs Fare tab.
"Peace will come when the power of love overcomes the love of power."

Loki

Hi,
I was told by an old Italian woman that the way the basil flavour was
preserved over winter was to store the seeds in oil. Ok it's not
pesto, but my pesto never lasted more than 2 days anyway :-) mmmm

There are pesto products on the supermarket shelf so they must
preserve them somehow, of course once they're opened they won't last.
Maybe they're irradiated, that would kill the bugs.

--
Cheers,

Brian Mailman

Loki wrote:

> Hi,
> I was told by an old Italian woman that the way the basil flavour was
> preserved over winter was to store the seeds in oil. Ok it's not
> pesto, but my pesto never lasted more than 2 days anyway :-) mmmm
>
> There are pesto products on the supermarket shelf so they must
> preserve them somehow, of course once they're opened they won't last.
> Maybe they're irradiated, that would kill the bugs.

You can freeze the basil/garlic puree and freeze, then add the cheese later.

Commercial concerns have equipment and techniques that we at home don't
have.

B/

Darwin Vander Stelt

"Loki" > wrote in message
> There are pesto products on the supermarket shelf so they must
> preserve them somehow, of course once they're opened they won't last.
> Maybe they're irradiated, that would kill the bugs.

I always grow a nice patch of the mammoth leaf basil and make a big batch
of pesto when I have a 5 gal bucket or so of leaves. I put in a fair amount
of EVOO and a generous amount of parmesan and romano cheese, along with
walnuts and pine nuts, and of course garlic, salt , and a little pepper. I
put it in small vaccum bags and freeze it, and it keeps very well all
winter. The color remains perfect, and I have been doing it for 4 years.

Darwin Vander Stelt

"Loki" > wrote in message
> There are pesto products on the supermarket shelf so they must
> preserve them somehow, of course once they're opened they won't last.
> Maybe they're irradiated, that would kill the bugs.

I always grow a nice patch of the mammoth leaf basil and make a big batch
of pesto when I have a 5 gal bucket or so of leaves. I put in a fair amount
of EVOO and a generous amount of parmesan and romano cheese, along with
walnuts and pine nuts, and of course garlic, salt , and a little pepper. I
put it in small vaccum bags and freeze it, and it keeps very well all
winter. The color remains perfect, and I have been doing it for 4 years.

Loki

il Wed, 15 Dec 2004 22:21:59 -0700, "Darwin Vander Stelt" ha scritto:

> I always grow a nice patch of the mammoth leaf basil and make a big batch
> of pesto when I have a 5 gal bucket or so of leaves. I put in a fair amount
> of EVOO and a generous amount of parmesan and romano cheese, along with
> walnuts and pine nuts, and of course garlic, salt , and a little pepper. I
> put it in small vaccum bags and freeze it, and it keeps very well all
> winter. The color remains perfect, and I have been doing it for 4 years.

Good for you.
Hmmm, I wouldn't dare eat anything left in my freezer for too long.
(whatever the date) It has no door and is really an icebox for
icecubes. My basil tends to be the simple sort. Basil, garlic, pine
nuts roasted, and salt to help the grinding motion, then parmesan and
evo oil as the whim takes me. :-) I don't even waste a bowl, I just
put the cooked pasta in the big mortar. That way I don't waste a
drop! I do have to watch out for aphids later on - I'm not too keen
to munch those.
I've tried buying ungrated cheese, but once I start nibbling it,
there's usually nothing left to grate in a short while. ahhh, the
trials of ife...

--
Cheers,