Hoges in WA

Default preserved lemons

I've made a couple of jars of these. The first lot I tried I stuffed up big
time - tried to keep them down in the liquid by ramming in a ball of
aluminium foil. You think the lemon juice didn't make short work of that
stuff!

Anyway, I've got these two jars now so what can I do with them? I put a
couple of slices into two baked chickens I roasted on the weekend but that
doesn't seem to be a good use - I could have just poured in some lemon juice
to get the same effect.

Anyone have any truly brilliant uses that make the six weeks of shaking and
storing seem worthwhile?

--
Hoges in WA
Remove the zeds.

Judy Cosler

hmmmmmm......I'll have to remember; I used up a jar easily a year or
so ago. delicious in most any past dish, hot or cold! what
else..........???????? chicken salad? grains (rice,
couscous....).....salads? anytime you'd eat olives. send them to
me!!! ))

On Wed, 08 Oct 2003 15:39:52 GMT, "Hoges in WA"
> wrote:

>I've made a couple of jars of these. The first lot I tried I stuffed up big
>time - tried to keep them down in the liquid by ramming in a ball of
>aluminium foil. You think the lemon juice didn't make short work of that
>stuff!
>
>Anyway, I've got these two jars now so what can I do with them? I put a
>couple of slices into two baked chickens I roasted on the weekend but that
>doesn't seem to be a good use - I could have just poured in some lemon juice
>to get the same effect.
>
>Anyone have any truly brilliant uses that make the six weeks of shaking and
>storing seem worthwhile?

((.)) '))
((((((((
))(/)((
Peggy

Hoges in WA wrote:

> I've made a couple of jars of these. The first lot I tried I stuffed up big
> time - tried to keep them down in the liquid by ramming in a ball of
> aluminium foil. You think the lemon juice didn't make short work of that
> stuff!
>
> Anyway, I've got these two jars now so what can I do with them? I put a
> couple of slices into two baked chickens I roasted on the weekend but that
> doesn't seem to be a good use - I could have just poured in some lemon juice
> to get the same effect.
>
> Anyone have any truly brilliant uses that make the six weeks of shaking and
> storing seem worthwhile?

They are absolutely delicious when you tuck little pieces of them into
mashed potatoes, and serve topped with grilled shrimp. Yum! Also great
in chicken or fish with Moroccan spices (cumin, coriander, cinnamon).

Cheers!
Peg

Reg

Hoges in WA wrote:
> I've made a couple of jars of these. The first lot I tried I stuffed up big
> time - tried to keep them down in the liquid by ramming in a ball of
> aluminium foil. You think the lemon juice didn't make short work of that
> stuff!
>
> Anyway, I've got these two jars now so what can I do with them? I put a
> couple of slices into two baked chickens I roasted on the weekend but that
> doesn't seem to be a good use - I could have just poured in some lemon juice
> to get the same effect.
>
> Anyone have any truly brilliant uses that make the six weeks of shaking and
> storing seem worthwhile?

COPYRIGHT 2003 – Barbara Lowery

Serving Suggestion: Chop Preserved Lemon rind finely before adding to:

* a prawn or scallop salad along with sliced semi-dried tomatoes, black
olives & sliced red onion in a garlicky dressing. Serve on a bed of
rocket leaves.

* risotto, particularly with shell fish. Add at the end of cooking.

* prepared couscous along with chopped mint and pine nuts. Serve with
grilled lamb, beef or chicken.

* a potato salad made from baby potatoes in skins, chopped Lebanese
cucumber, sliced shallots, black olives and an olive oil & lemon juice
dressing

* chopped chives and scattering over fresh oysters in the shell,
sliced smoked salmon or sliced avocado

* mayonnaise with chopped fresh coriander. Use as a dip for cooked
prawns

* thick Greek-style plain yogurt with chopped mint and chives and use
as a dip for crudite or to spoon over cooked fish

* a lemon vinaigrette to spoon into avocado halves

* pasta, rice, noodle or chick pea salads

* stuffings for baked chicken, fish or lamb

* mayonnaise for chicken sandwiches

* 50/50 mayonnaise and thick yogurt with chopped flat-leaf parsley to
serve over freshly cooked and cooled asparagus spears.

Brian Mailman

Judy Cosler wrote:

> On Wed, 08 Oct 2003 15:39:52 GMT, "Hoges in WA"
> > wrote:

> >Anyway, I've got these two jars now so what can I do with them?

http://www.jewishfood-list.com/recip...oroccan01.html

B/

Preserved Lemons gloria.p Preserving 5 25-05-2010 09:08 PM
Preserved lemons gloria.p Preserving 4 01-05-2010 04:57 AM
Preserved lemons--oil? Michael General Cooking 24 07-09-2005 06:41 AM
preserved lemons Lisa Kendall Preserving 22 27-08-2004 04:58 PM
Preserved lemons...and... mangodance General Cooking 21 26-06-2004 08:00 AM