Fudge

Default Wild Raspberry Liqueur

This is the best fruit liqueur ever. Best with fresh wild raspberries but
cultivated berries will work as well

1 750 ml bottle Canadian Rye whisky
(American Bourbon would be second choice)
2 cups very ripe wild raspberries
1 cup dark wildflower honey. (the darker the better)

Mash berries and soak in whisky for about 2 weeks.
Strain and add cup of honey.
Shake to dissolve honey.
Age minimum of 1 hour before drinking. Really good with a silky sweet
raspberry taste. Serve in a cocktail glass with a single ice cube.

Farmer John

Puester

Fudge wrote:

> This is the best fruit liqueur ever. Best with fresh wild raspberries but
> cultivated berries will work as well
>
> 1 750 ml bottle Canadian Rye whisky
> (American Bourbon would be second choice)
> 2 cups very ripe wild raspberries
> 1 cup dark wildflower honey. (the darker the better)
>
> Mash berries and soak in whisky for about 2 weeks.
> Strain and add cup of honey.
> Shake to dissolve honey.
> Age minimum of 1 hour before drinking. Really good with a silky sweet
> raspberry taste. Serve in a cocktail glass with a single ice cube.
>
> Farmer John

Sounds delightful, but why the "brown" whiskeys instead of vodka?
Just asking because some Scandinavian friends use vodka to
steep a variety of fruits and berries (individually, of course)
and they are quite nice.

gloria p
Fudge

Just about any neutral or non objectionably flavoured spirit could be used.
I like the taste of Canadian Rye whisky but vodka would do just as well. I
have used Crown Royal but couldn't tell because the fruit and honey masks
the taste of premium whisky. The same recipe could be used with fresh ripe
strawberries substituted for raspberries. An excellent Drambuie substitute
can be made with scotch and rosemary.

Ersatz Drambuie

1 bottle cheap scotch whiskey
Sprigs of rosemary
1 cup wildflower honey

Bruise rosemary and soak in scotch for 2 days. Remove rosemary. Add honey
and shake to dissolve. Age 1 minute before tasting. Serve over ice. Purists
will **** on this but the price is right and after a few shots, who
cares!!!!

Farmer John
"Fudge" > wrote in message
. ..
> This is the best fruit liqueur ever. Best with fresh wild raspberries but
> cultivated berries will work as well
>
> 1 750 ml bottle Canadian Rye whisky
> (American Bourbon would be second choice)
> 2 cups very ripe wild raspberries
> 1 cup dark wildflower honey. (the darker the better)
>
> Mash berries and soak in whisky for about 2 weeks.
> Strain and add cup of honey.
> Shake to dissolve honey.
> Age minimum of 1 hour before drinking. Really good with a silky sweet
> raspberry taste. Serve in a cocktail glass with a single ice cube.
>
> Farmer John

Elizabeth Naime

Best fruit... drink... ever I got from this newsgroup, years and years
ago. My black rasberries (domestic) were yeilding a handful here and
there, because they take a long time to get established and make jammin'
and jellin' quantities. Someone suggested putting a handful or a few at
a time into a jar of brandy.

I did that for about four years. By the fourth year the brambles were
yielding enough that I still have a few small treasured jars of black
rasberry jelly, but I threw a few in the "berry brandy jar" anyway. From
time to time, at least once a year in the winter when I wasn't adding
any fruit, I squished and strained out the "old" berries.

It tasted pretty good, very berry-y. Then we moved (sob! wail! No
bramble berries on the new place!!). The jar of "berry brandy" came out
of the old fridge, into the back of the fridge at the new house, and was
promptly forgotten.

It's been about four years since the move. I recently found the bottle,
sparkling clear from its final pre-move straining.

OH. MY. GOODNESS!!!! A mouthful of pure July! I almost felt a hot summer
breeze go by, and I'm sure I heard cicadas. Nectar of the Gods, I kid
thee not. :-D

SO... whatever your fresh berry liqueur recipe... save some aside. Put
it in the fridge. Forget it for several years. I *know* mine didn't
taste this good in 2000.

Only know that there is no spork.

Raspberry Liqueur Truffles Tim Recipes 0 17-07-2005 07:47 PM
Raspberry Schnapps vs.Liqueur? Pomeroy3 General Cooking 17 23-11-2004 07:46 PM
Wild Raspberry Liqueur Puester Preserving 1 05-08-2004 08:02 PM
wild black raspberry jelly donald girod General Cooking 2 05-07-2004 09:02 PM
Hank's Raspberry Liqueur Truffles Duckie ® Recipes 0 28-02-2004 03:29 PM