Old Dog

Default Is Saltpeter Sold In Canada?

"Nitrite" is not "nitrate"...

And sodium nitrate isn't saltpeter, it's Chilean saltpeter, not the same thing
at all...

I have no idea what you mean by "measuring safe amounts". There's no problem
whatsoever "measuring safe amounts" of pure saltpeter.

-Rich

"Sean" > wrote in message
news
> Try a local butcher's supply store. I purchase my nitrite cure this way.
> They are quite helpful, and more than happy to sell you a plastic jug that
> will most likely take a very, very (very) long time to use up and only cost
> a few dollars. The stuff I got was "Nitrite Action Cure" and is just 11.0%
> Sodium Nitrite in a salt base. You need it diluted anyway, as otherwise you
> could not accurately measure safe amounts.
>
> Hope that helps.
>
> Sean
>

> "jamie" > wrote in message
> om...
> > A couple of days ago i whent to the shopers drug mart close to where i
> > live and i asked for salt peter and they said: we do not carry
> > saltpeter here. I asked do u know what saltpeter is? She replied yes
> > but we dont carry it.
> >
> > Then i whent to another drug mart and searched around for it and one
> > of the people that worked there asked me what am I looking for? I said
> > saltpeter. She said i dont know what that is. Is it some type of salt.
> >
> > So im basicly asking is saltpeter sold in canada?
> > And if it is where is the nearest location in Toronto?

Offbreed

Old Dog wrote:

> "Nitrite" is not "nitrate"...
>
> And sodium nitrate isn't saltpeter, it's Chilean saltpeter, not the same thing
> at all...
>
> I have no idea what you mean by "measuring safe amounts". There's no problem
> whatsoever "measuring safe amounts" of pure saltpeter.

A large dose is bad for you.
Offbreed

Old Dog wrote:

> "Nitrite" is not "nitrate"...
>
> And sodium nitrate isn't saltpeter, it's Chilean saltpeter, not the same thing
> at all...
>
> I have no idea what you mean by "measuring safe amounts". There's no problem
> whatsoever "measuring safe amounts" of pure saltpeter.

A large dose is bad for you.
Sean

I was simply offering friendly advice on obtaining Sodium Nitrite based
cures (as well as others possibly), as the OP did not state what they wanted
saltpeter for. Depending on what use they intended it for, they may well be
interested in getting a commercially available cure instead. This should
have been obvious even to a simpleton trying to cause trouble. It was also
completely obvious I was referring to the Sodium Nitrite when talking about
measuring safe amounts. If you really had no idea what I meant, I'm really
surprised you have the ability to read and write, or even the motor skills
to type your response.

- Sean

"Old Dog" > wrote in message
> "Nitrite" is not "nitrate"...
>
> And sodium nitrate isn't saltpeter, it's Chilean saltpeter, not the same

thing
> at all...
>
> I have no idea what you mean by "measuring safe amounts". There's no

problem
> whatsoever "measuring safe amounts" of pure saltpeter.
>
> -Rich
>
> "Sean" > wrote in message
> news
> > Try a local butcher's supply store. I purchase my nitrite cure this way.
> > They are quite helpful, and more than happy to sell you a plastic jug

that
> > will most likely take a very, very (very) long time to use up and only

cost
> > a few dollars. The stuff I got was "Nitrite Action Cure" and is just

11.0%
> > Sodium Nitrite in a salt base. You need it diluted anyway, as otherwise

you
> > could not accurately measure safe amounts.
> >
> > Hope that helps.
> >
> > Sean
> >

> > "jamie" > wrote in message
> > om...
> > > A couple of days ago i whent to the shopers drug mart close to where i
> > > live and i asked for salt peter and they said: we do not carry
> > > saltpeter here. I asked do u know what saltpeter is? She replied yes
> > > but we dont carry it.
> > >
> > > Then i whent to another drug mart and searched around for it and one
> > > of the people that worked there asked me what am I looking for? I said
> > > saltpeter. She said i dont know what that is. Is it some type of salt.
> > >
> > > So im basicly asking is saltpeter sold in canada?
> > > And if it is where is the nearest location in Toronto?

Reg

Old Dog wrote:

> I have no idea what you mean by "measuring safe amounts". There's no problem
> whatsoever "measuring safe amounts" of pure saltpeter.

He means the amount would be too small to easily measure if it
weren't mixed with some sort of carrier. Used as a preservative
it has to be dispensed in small quantities.

In the case of sodium nitrite, the maximum allowable amount in meat
products in the US is 200 part per million. That works out to about
0.432 grams per 5 pounds of meat. It's not easy to measure that
amount of pure nitrite, and it's likely that it won't get dispersed
properly. When used in a standardized amount (6.25% nitrite, the
remainder salt) it works out to about 1 teaspoon, which makes
dispensing it much simpler.

Jeff

zxcvbob > wrote

> So use caustic potash instead of lye. My method should have a much
> higher efficiency than one you posted. Since OP posted in a food
> preserving group I assumed he wanted the sodium salt, or didn't care
> which cation.
>
> Best regards,
> Bob

He crossposted to rec.pyrotechnics, clouding the issue. I was assuming
he intended to use the KNO3 for pyrotechnical purposes and was just
having trouble finding it - a common problem for a young pyro
enthusiast. My supposition is that he had heard saltpeter was used to
cure meat and tried to cover all bases by posting to both groups.

Jeff
zxcvbob

Jeff wrote:
> zxcvbob > wrote
>
>>So use caustic potash instead of lye. My method should have a much
>>higher efficiency than one you posted. Since OP posted in a food
>>preserving group I assumed he wanted the sodium salt, or didn't care
>>which cation.
>>
>>Best regards,
>>Bob

> He crossposted to rec.pyrotechnics, clouding the issue. I was assuming
> he intended to use the KNO3 for pyrotechnical purposes and was just
> having trouble finding it - a common problem for a young pyro
> enthusiast. My supposition is that he had heard saltpeter was used to
> cure meat and tried to cover all bases by posting to both groups.
>
> Jeff

I think the issue was intentionally cloudy. You'll notice that the OP
hasn't replied to anything posted. He posted an ambiguous question to 2
groups that he knew would have different answers to try to start an
argument. That's OK; the discussion has been interesting, so the joke
is on him.

Best regards,
Bob

P.S. Most brands of "Stump Remover" are prilled KNO3. It is hard to
dissolve, so I think it has a waxy coated added, but it still might be
pure enough to be useful for pyrotechnics -- perhaps not pure enough for
reports but good enough for fountains or roman candles or lifting charges?
zxcvbob

Jeff wrote:
> zxcvbob > wrote
>
>>So use caustic potash instead of lye. My method should have a much
>>higher efficiency than one you posted. Since OP posted in a food
>>preserving group I assumed he wanted the sodium salt, or didn't care
>>which cation.
>>
>>Best regards,
>>Bob

> He crossposted to rec.pyrotechnics, clouding the issue. I was assuming
> he intended to use the KNO3 for pyrotechnical purposes and was just
> having trouble finding it - a common problem for a young pyro
> enthusiast. My supposition is that he had heard saltpeter was used to
> cure meat and tried to cover all bases by posting to both groups.
>
> Jeff

I think the issue was intentionally cloudy. You'll notice that the OP
hasn't replied to anything posted. He posted an ambiguous question to 2
groups that he knew would have different answers to try to start an
argument. That's OK; the discussion has been interesting, so the joke
is on him.

Best regards,
Bob

P.S. Most brands of "Stump Remover" are prilled KNO3. It is hard to
dissolve, so I think it has a waxy coated added, but it still might be
pure enough to be useful for pyrotechnics -- perhaps not pure enough for
reports but good enough for fountains or roman candles or lifting charges?
blah

zxcvbob wrote:

> Jeff wrote:
> > zxcvbob > wrote >
> >
> >>You can actually make saltpeter out of AN fertilizer by disolving the AN
> >>in water, heating, and slowly adding lye just until all the ammonia
> >>gasses out. The mineral contaminants in the water and in the AN will
> >>precipitate out as hydroxides. Filter out the particulates and
> >>evaporate the clear solution to leave relatively pure sodium nitrate.
> >>

> > Bob, that produces Chile Saltpeter. The OP was asking for saltpeter,
> > which is always a potassium salt. The procedure to produce KNO3 from
> > KCl and ammonium nitrate is outlined at this site:
> >
> > http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaver...kno3/kno3.html

Is caustic potash the same thing as lye? The reason I'm asking is my favourite
Greek black olives are cured in lye and tingle the tongue. Also was curious
because when I was young (a long time ago) pretzles were lye -pickled, then
baked also tingling the tongue.

Hmmm....tongue likes tingling...there's a thought! (LOL)

Annie

> > Jeff

> So use caustic potash instead of lye. My method should have a much
> higher efficiency than one you posted. Since OP posted in a food
> preserving group I assumed he wanted the sodium salt, or didn't care
> which cation.
>
> Best regards,
> Bob

blah

zxcvbob wrote:

> Jeff wrote:
> > zxcvbob > wrote >
> >
> >>You can actually make saltpeter out of AN fertilizer by disolving the AN
> >>in water, heating, and slowly adding lye just until all the ammonia
> >>gasses out. The mineral contaminants in the water and in the AN will
> >>precipitate out as hydroxides. Filter out the particulates and
> >>evaporate the clear solution to leave relatively pure sodium nitrate.
> >>

> > Bob, that produces Chile Saltpeter. The OP was asking for saltpeter,
> > which is always a potassium salt. The procedure to produce KNO3 from
> > KCl and ammonium nitrate is outlined at this site:
> >
> > http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaver...kno3/kno3.html

Is caustic potash the same thing as lye? The reason I'm asking is my favourite
Greek black olives are cured in lye and tingle the tongue. Also was curious
because when I was young (a long time ago) pretzles were lye -pickled, then
baked also tingling the tongue.

Hmmm....tongue likes tingling...there's a thought! (LOL)

Annie

> > Jeff

> So use caustic potash instead of lye. My method should have a much
> higher efficiency than one you posted. Since OP posted in a food
> preserving group I assumed he wanted the sodium salt, or didn't care
> which cation.
>
> Best regards,
> Bob

Old Dog

Yes, but this is posted to rec.pyrotechnics...

-Rich

"Reg" > wrote in message
> Old Dog wrote:
>
> > I have no idea what you mean by "measuring safe amounts". There's no problem
> > whatsoever "measuring safe amounts" of pure saltpeter.

> He means the amount would be too small to easily measure if it
> weren't mixed with some sort of carrier. Used as a preservative
> it has to be dispensed in small quantities.
>
> In the case of sodium nitrite, the maximum allowable amount in meat
> products in the US is 200 part per million. That works out to about
> 0.432 grams per 5 pounds of meat. It's not easy to measure that
> amount of pure nitrite, and it's likely that it won't get dispersed
> properly. When used in a standardized amount (6.25% nitrite, the
> remainder salt) it works out to about 1 teaspoon, which makes
> dispensing it much simpler.
>
> --
> Reg email: RegForte (at) (that free MS email service) (dot) com

Old Dog

If you look at the header, you might just notice it was cross-posted to
rec.pyrotechnics. Duh...

-Rich

"Sean" > wrote in message
> I was simply offering friendly advice on obtaining Sodium Nitrite based
> cures (as well as others possibly), as the OP did not state what they wanted
> saltpeter for. Depending on what use they intended it for, they may well be
> interested in getting a commercially available cure instead. This should
> have been obvious even to a simpleton trying to cause trouble. It was also
> completely obvious I was referring to the Sodium Nitrite when talking about
> measuring safe amounts. If you really had no idea what I meant, I'm really
> surprised you have the ability to read and write, or even the motor skills
> to type your response.
>
> - Sean
>

> "Old Dog" > wrote in message
> > "Nitrite" is not "nitrate"...
> >
> > And sodium nitrate isn't saltpeter, it's Chilean saltpeter, not the same

> thing
> > at all...
> >
> > I have no idea what you mean by "measuring safe amounts". There's no

> problem
> > whatsoever "measuring safe amounts" of pure saltpeter.
> >
> > -Rich
> >
> > "Sean" > wrote in message
> > news
> > > Try a local butcher's supply store. I purchase my nitrite cure this way.
> > > They are quite helpful, and more than happy to sell you a plastic jug

> that
> > > will most likely take a very, very (very) long time to use up and only

> cost
> > > a few dollars. The stuff I got was "Nitrite Action Cure" and is just

> 11.0%
> > > Sodium Nitrite in a salt base. You need it diluted anyway, as otherwise

> you
> > > could not accurately measure safe amounts.
> > >
> > > Hope that helps.
> > >
> > > Sean
> > >

> > > "jamie" > wrote in message
> > > om...

Old Dog

"Sean" > wrote in message
> I was simply offering friendly advice on obtaining Sodium Nitrite based
> cures (as well as others possibly), as the OP did not state what they wanted
> saltpeter for. Depending on what use they intended it for, they may well be
> interested in getting a commercially available cure instead. This should
> have been obvious even to a simpleton trying to cause trouble. It was also
> completely obvious I was referring to the Sodium Nitrite when talking about
> measuring safe amounts. If you really had no idea what I meant, I'm really
> surprised you have the ability to read and write, or even the motor skills
> to type your response.
>
> - Sean
>

> "Old Dog" > wrote in message
> > "Nitrite" is not "nitrate"...
> >
> > And sodium nitrate isn't saltpeter, it's Chilean saltpeter, not the same

> thing
> > at all...
> >
> > I have no idea what you mean by "measuring safe amounts". There's no

> problem
> > whatsoever "measuring safe amounts" of pure saltpeter.
> >
> > -Rich
> >
> > "Sean" > wrote in message
> > news
> > > Try a local butcher's supply store. I purchase my nitrite cure this way.
> > > They are quite helpful, and more than happy to sell you a plastic jug

> that
> > > will most likely take a very, very (very) long time to use up and only

> cost
> > > a few dollars. The stuff I got was "Nitrite Action Cure" and is just

> 11.0%
> > > Sodium Nitrite in a salt base. You need it diluted anyway, as otherwise

> you
> > > could not accurately measure safe amounts.
> > >
> > > Hope that helps.
> > >
> > > Sean
> > >

> > > "jamie" > wrote in message
> > > om...

Reg

Old Dog wrote:

> Yes, but this is posted to rec.pyrotechnics...

I understand that, but it's not relevant.

Reg

Old Dog wrote:

> Yes, but this is posted to rec.pyrotechnics...

I understand that, but it's not relevant.

blah

zxcvbob wrote:

> blah wrote:
> >
> > zxcvbob wrote:

> > Is caustic potash the same thing as lye? The reason I'm asking is my favourite
> > Greek black olives are cured in lye and tingle the tongue. Also was curious
> > because when I was young (a long time ago) pretzles were lye -pickled, then
> > baked also tingling the tongue.
> >
> > Hmmm....tongue likes tingling...there's a thought! (LOL)
> >
> > Annie

> Caustic potash is potasium hydroxide, and lye is sodium hydroxide. Lye
> is the easier one to find in reasonably small quantities.
>
> Best regards,
> Bob

Thanks