jamie

Default Is Saltpeter Sold In Canada?

A couple of days ago i whent to the shopers drug mart close to where i
live and i asked for salt peter and they said: we do not carry
saltpeter here. I asked do u know what saltpeter is? She replied yes
but we dont carry it.

Then i whent to another drug mart and searched around for it and one
of the people that worked there asked me what am I looking for? I said
saltpeter. She said i dont know what that is. Is it some type of salt.

So im basicly asking is saltpeter sold in canada?
And if it is where is the nearest location in Toronto?

>>>Thanks for the help. Jamie

zxcvbob

jamie wrote:

> A couple of days ago i whent to the shopers drug mart close to where i
> live and i asked for salt peter and they said: we do not carry
> saltpeter here. I asked do u know what saltpeter is? She replied yes
> but we dont carry it.
>
> Then i whent to another drug mart and searched around for it and one
> of the people that worked there asked me what am I looking for? I said
> saltpeter. She said i dont know what that is. Is it some type of salt.
>
> So im basicly asking is saltpeter sold in canada?
> And if it is where is the nearest location in Toronto?

Do you want it for preserving meat, or for making gunpowder? You don't
have to answer that. If you want it for preserving meat, look for
"Prague Powder" or "InstaCure", which are 6% sodium nitrite and work a
lot better than saltpeter for most meat curing purposes.

Best regards,
Bob
zxcvbob

jamie wrote:

> A couple of days ago i whent to the shopers drug mart close to where i
> live and i asked for salt peter and they said: we do not carry
> saltpeter here. I asked do u know what saltpeter is? She replied yes
> but we dont carry it.
>
> Then i whent to another drug mart and searched around for it and one
> of the people that worked there asked me what am I looking for? I said
> saltpeter. She said i dont know what that is. Is it some type of salt.
>
> So im basicly asking is saltpeter sold in canada?
> And if it is where is the nearest location in Toronto?

Do you want it for preserving meat, or for making gunpowder? You don't
have to answer that. If you want it for preserving meat, look for
"Prague Powder" or "InstaCure", which are 6% sodium nitrite and work a
lot better than saltpeter for most meat curing purposes.

Best regards,
Bob
Don T

It is given away in the forces. Wait until you are old enough and join up.
They will issue you a ration of it every morning and insist that you use all
of it by evening meal. If you don't use it on your taters they will put an
additional ration in your gravy. And an especially large dose will be in
your morning tea as tea covers the taste quite well.

--

Don Thompson

~~~~~~~~

"jamie" > wrote in message
om...
> A couple of days ago i whent to the shopers drug mart close to where i
> live and i asked for salt peter and they said: we do not carry
> saltpeter here. I asked do u know what saltpeter is? She replied yes
> but we dont carry it.
>
> Then i whent to another drug mart and searched around for it and one
> of the people that worked there asked me what am I looking for? I said
> saltpeter. She said i dont know what that is. Is it some type of salt.
>
> So im basicly asking is saltpeter sold in canada?
> And if it is where is the nearest location in Toronto?

Don T

It is given away in the forces. Wait until you are old enough and join up.
They will issue you a ration of it every morning and insist that you use all
of it by evening meal. If you don't use it on your taters they will put an
additional ration in your gravy. And an especially large dose will be in
your morning tea as tea covers the taste quite well.

--

Don Thompson

~~~~~~~~

"jamie" > wrote in message
om...
> A couple of days ago i whent to the shopers drug mart close to where i
> live and i asked for salt peter and they said: we do not carry
> saltpeter here. I asked do u know what saltpeter is? She replied yes
> but we dont carry it.
>
> Then i whent to another drug mart and searched around for it and one
> of the people that worked there asked me what am I looking for? I said
> saltpeter. She said i dont know what that is. Is it some type of salt.
>
> So im basicly asking is saltpeter sold in canada?
> And if it is where is the nearest location in Toronto?

William R. Watt

zxcvbob ) writes:

> Do you want it for preserving meat, or for making gunpowder? You don't
> have to answer that. If you want it for preserving meat, look for
> "Prague Powder" or "InstaCure", which are 6% sodium nitrite and work a
> lot better than saltpeter for most meat curing purposes.

Isn't there something similar called "glyceride of nitrate" or some such
name? Could it be used as a substitute for saltpeter in preserving meat?

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm
William R. Watt

zxcvbob ) writes:

> Do you want it for preserving meat, or for making gunpowder? You don't
> have to answer that. If you want it for preserving meat, look for
> "Prague Powder" or "InstaCure", which are 6% sodium nitrite and work a
> lot better than saltpeter for most meat curing purposes.

Isn't there something similar called "glyceride of nitrate" or some such
name? Could it be used as a substitute for saltpeter in preserving meat?

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm
zxcvbob

William R. Watt wrote:

> zxcvbob ) writes:
>

>>Do you want it for preserving meat, or for making gunpowder? You don't
>>have to answer that. If you want it for preserving meat, look for
>>"Prague Powder" or "InstaCure", which are 6% sodium nitrite and work a
>>lot better than saltpeter for most meat curing purposes.

> Isn't there something similar called "glyceride of nitrate" or some such
> name? Could it be used as a substitute for saltpeter in preserving meat?

Glyceryl trinitrate, or trinitroglycerol. I don't think it would work
very well as a preservative; it is unstable and I believe it is toxic.

Generally, you want nitrites rather than nitrates for curing meat.
Nitrates sort of work because they break down into nitrites.
Trinitroglycerol is one of the few high explosives that is loaded with
NO3 radicals rather than NO2, so perhaps TNT would be a better choice?

Hope this helps,
Bob
zxcvbob

William R. Watt wrote:

> zxcvbob ) writes:
>

>>Do you want it for preserving meat, or for making gunpowder? You don't
>>have to answer that. If you want it for preserving meat, look for
>>"Prague Powder" or "InstaCure", which are 6% sodium nitrite and work a
>>lot better than saltpeter for most meat curing purposes.

> Isn't there something similar called "glyceride of nitrate" or some such
> name? Could it be used as a substitute for saltpeter in preserving meat?

Glyceryl trinitrate, or trinitroglycerol. I don't think it would work
very well as a preservative; it is unstable and I believe it is toxic.

Generally, you want nitrites rather than nitrates for curing meat.
Nitrates sort of work because they break down into nitrites.
Trinitroglycerol is one of the few high explosives that is loaded with
NO3 radicals rather than NO2, so perhaps TNT would be a better choice?

Hope this helps,
Bob
Ken Anderson

"William R. Watt" > wrote in message

> zxcvbob ) writes:
>
> > Do you want it for preserving meat, or for making gunpowder? You don't
> > have to answer that. If you want it for preserving meat, look for
> > "Prague Powder" or "InstaCure", which are 6% sodium nitrite and work a
> > lot better than saltpeter for most meat curing purposes.

> Isn't there something similar called "glyceride of nitrate" or some such
> name? Could it be used as a substitute for saltpeter in preserving meat?

I think it works, but first he'll need a ton or two of its precursor, ammonium
nitrate, due to the low yield. Just ask around for that.

Ken Anderson

"William R. Watt" > wrote in message

> zxcvbob ) writes:
>
> > Do you want it for preserving meat, or for making gunpowder? You don't
> > have to answer that. If you want it for preserving meat, look for
> > "Prague Powder" or "InstaCure", which are 6% sodium nitrite and work a
> > lot better than saltpeter for most meat curing purposes.

> Isn't there something similar called "glyceride of nitrate" or some such
> name? Could it be used as a substitute for saltpeter in preserving meat?

I think it works, but first he'll need a ton or two of its precursor, ammonium
nitrate, due to the low yield. Just ask around for that.

Ross Reid

"Don T" > wrote:

> It is given away in the forces. Wait until you are old enough and join up.
>They will issue you a ration of it every morning and insist that you use all
>of it by evening meal. If you don't use it on your taters they will put an
>additional ration in your gravy. And an especially large dose will be in
>your morning tea as tea covers the taste quite well.

Now, there's an urban legend that's been around for a few years. First
time I heard it was in basic training in the RCN, back in '52.
Anyway, judging by one of the groups where the question was posted,
the OP was more concerned with the results of an extremely rapid
oxidation of the product.

Ross.
Ross Reid

"Don T" > wrote:

> It is given away in the forces. Wait until you are old enough and join up.
>They will issue you a ration of it every morning and insist that you use all
>of it by evening meal. If you don't use it on your taters they will put an
>additional ration in your gravy. And an especially large dose will be in
>your morning tea as tea covers the taste quite well.

Now, there's an urban legend that's been around for a few years. First
time I heard it was in basic training in the RCN, back in '52.
Anyway, judging by one of the groups where the question was posted,
the OP was more concerned with the results of an extremely rapid
oxidation of the product.

Ross.
zxcvbob

Ken Anderson wrote:

> "William R. Watt" > wrote in message
>
>>zxcvbob ) writes:
>>

>>>Do you want it for preserving meat, or for making gunpowder? You don't
>>>have to answer that. If you want it for preserving meat, look for
>>>"Prague Powder" or "InstaCure", which are 6% sodium nitrite and work a
>>>lot better than saltpeter for most meat curing purposes.

>>Isn't there something similar called "glyceride of nitrate" or some such
>>name? Could it be used as a substitute for saltpeter in preserving meat?
>>

> I think it works, but first he'll need a ton or two of its precursor, ammonium
> nitrate, due to the low yield. Just ask around for that.

You can actually make saltpeter out of AN fertilizer by disolving the AN
in water, heating, and slowly adding lye just until all the ammonia
gasses out. The mineral contaminants in the water and in the AN will
precipitate out as hydroxides. Filter out the particulates and
evaporate the clear solution to leave relatively pure sodium nitrate.

Not sure why I know this,
Bob

zxcvbob

Ken Anderson wrote:

> "William R. Watt" > wrote in message
>
>>zxcvbob ) writes:
>>

>>>Do you want it for preserving meat, or for making gunpowder? You don't
>>>have to answer that. If you want it for preserving meat, look for
>>>"Prague Powder" or "InstaCure", which are 6% sodium nitrite and work a
>>>lot better than saltpeter for most meat curing purposes.

>>Isn't there something similar called "glyceride of nitrate" or some such
>>name? Could it be used as a substitute for saltpeter in preserving meat?
>>

> I think it works, but first he'll need a ton or two of its precursor, ammonium
> nitrate, due to the low yield. Just ask around for that.

You can actually make saltpeter out of AN fertilizer by disolving the AN
in water, heating, and slowly adding lye just until all the ammonia
gasses out. The mineral contaminants in the water and in the AN will
precipitate out as hydroxides. Filter out the particulates and
evaporate the clear solution to leave relatively pure sodium nitrate.

Not sure why I know this,
Bob

Don T

"Ross Reid" > wrote in message
> "Don T" > wrote:
>
> > It is given away in the forces. Wait until you are old enough and join

up.
> >They will issue you a ration of it every morning and insist that you use

all
> >of it by evening meal. If you don't use it on your taters they will put

an
> >additional ration in your gravy. And an especially large dose will be in
> >your morning tea as tea covers the taste quite well.

> Now, there's an urban legend that's been around for a few years. First
> time I heard it was in basic training in the RCN, back in '52.
> Anyway, judging by one of the groups where the question was posted,
> the OP was more concerned with the results of an extremely rapid
> oxidation of the product.
>
> Ross.

Quite so. The dispensation in tea provides the optimum for rapid oxidation
of peter salt. (answering from the aforementioned other group). ;-}

--

Don Thompson

~~~~~~~~

Don T

"Ross Reid" > wrote in message
> "Don T" > wrote:
>
> > It is given away in the forces. Wait until you are old enough and join

up.
> >They will issue you a ration of it every morning and insist that you use

all
> >of it by evening meal. If you don't use it on your taters they will put

an
> >additional ration in your gravy. And an especially large dose will be in
> >your morning tea as tea covers the taste quite well.

> Now, there's an urban legend that's been around for a few years. First
> time I heard it was in basic training in the RCN, back in '52.
> Anyway, judging by one of the groups where the question was posted,
> the OP was more concerned with the results of an extremely rapid
> oxidation of the product.
>
> Ross.

Quite so. The dispensation in tea provides the optimum for rapid oxidation
of peter salt. (answering from the aforementioned other group). ;-}

--

Don Thompson

~~~~~~~~

Jerry

Saltpeter is potassium nitrite, and is not for sale to normal humans
(us..) due to it's use in gunpowder, and the potential carcinoginc (sp?)
properties...
You can also look for "curing salt" at some spice outlets and its the
same as Bob states below...
Jerry

zxcvbob wrote:

> jamie wrote:
>
>> A couple of days ago i whent to the shopers drug mart close to where i
>> live and i asked for salt peter and they said: we do not carry
>> saltpeter here. I asked do u know what saltpeter is? She replied yes
>> but we dont carry it.
>>
>> Then i whent to another drug mart and searched around for it and one
>> of the people that worked there asked me what am I looking for? I said
>> saltpeter. She said i dont know what that is. Is it some type of salt.
>>
>> So im basicly asking is saltpeter sold in canada?
>> And if it is where is the nearest location in Toronto?

> Do you want it for preserving meat, or for making gunpowder? You don't
> have to answer that. If you want it for preserving meat, look for
> "Prague Powder" or "InstaCure", which are 6% sodium nitrite and work a
> lot better than saltpeter for most meat curing purposes.
>
> Best regards,
> Bob

Jerry

zxcvbob wrote:

> jamie wrote:
>
>> A couple of days ago i whent to the shopers drug mart close to where i
>> live and i asked for salt peter and they said: we do not carry
>> saltpeter here. I asked do u know what saltpeter is? She replied yes
>> but we dont carry it.
>>
>> Then i whent to another drug mart and searched around for it and one
>> of the people that worked there asked me what am I looking for? I said
>> saltpeter. She said i dont know what that is. Is it some type of salt.
>>
>> So im basicly asking is saltpeter sold in canada?
>> And if it is where is the nearest location in Toronto?

> Do you want it for preserving meat, or for making gunpowder? You don't
> have to answer that. If you want it for preserving meat, look for
> "Prague Powder" or "InstaCure", which are 6% sodium nitrite and work a
> lot better than saltpeter for most meat curing purposes.
>
> Best regards,
> Bob

Dave

http://www.jtbaker.com/msds/englishhtml/p5950.htm

POTASSIUM NITRATE

11. Toxicological Information

Oral rat LD50: 3750 mg/kg. Investigated as a mutagen, reproductive effector.

--------\Cancer
Lists\------------------------------------------------------
---NTP Carcinogen---
Ingredient Known Anticipated
IARC Category
------------------------------------ ----- ----------- -----------
--
Potassium Nitrate (7757-79-1) No No None

"Jerry" > wrote in message
> Saltpeter is potassium nitrite, and is not for sale to normal humans
> (us..) due to it's use in gunpowder, and the potential carcinoginc (sp?)
> properties...
> You can also look for "curing salt" at some spice outlets and its the
> same as Bob states below...
> Jerry
>
> zxcvbob wrote:
>
> > jamie wrote:
> >
> >> A couple of days ago i whent to the shopers drug mart close to where i
> >> live and i asked for salt peter and they said: we do not carry
> >> saltpeter here. I asked do u know what saltpeter is? She replied yes
> >> but we dont carry it.
> >>
> >> Then i whent to another drug mart and searched around for it and one
> >> of the people that worked there asked me what am I looking for? I said
> >> saltpeter. She said i dont know what that is. Is it some type of salt.
> >>
> >> So im basicly asking is saltpeter sold in canada?
> >> And if it is where is the nearest location in Toronto?

> > Do you want it for preserving meat, or for making gunpowder? You don't
> > have to answer that. If you want it for preserving meat, look for
> > "Prague Powder" or "InstaCure", which are 6% sodium nitrite and work a
> > lot better than saltpeter for most meat curing purposes.
> >
> > Best regards,
> > Bob

Dave

"Jerry" > wrote in message
> Saltpeter is potassium nitrite, and is not for sale to normal humans
> (us..) due to it's use in gunpowder, and the potential carcinoginc (sp?)
> properties...
> You can also look for "curing salt" at some spice outlets and its the
> same as Bob states below...
> Jerry
>
> zxcvbob wrote:
>
> > jamie wrote:
> >
> >> A couple of days ago i whent to the shopers drug mart close to where i
> >> live and i asked for salt peter and they said: we do not carry
> >> saltpeter here. I asked do u know what saltpeter is? She replied yes
> >> but we dont carry it.
> >>
> >> Then i whent to another drug mart and searched around for it and one
> >> of the people that worked there asked me what am I looking for? I said
> >> saltpeter. She said i dont know what that is. Is it some type of salt.
> >>
> >> So im basicly asking is saltpeter sold in canada?
> >> And if it is where is the nearest location in Toronto?

> > Do you want it for preserving meat, or for making gunpowder? You don't
> > have to answer that. If you want it for preserving meat, look for
> > "Prague Powder" or "InstaCure", which are 6% sodium nitrite and work a
> > lot better than saltpeter for most meat curing purposes.
> >
> > Best regards,
> > Bob

Mike

Actually in South Hampton there is a place called plant products co.
Although they are a wholesaler you may be able to get a bag, get the
technical grade 50lb for $20.
"jamie" > wrote in message
om...
> A couple of days ago i whent to the shopers drug mart close to where i
> live and i asked for salt peter and they said: we do not carry
> saltpeter here. I asked do u know what saltpeter is? She replied yes
> but we dont carry it.
>
> Then i whent to another drug mart and searched around for it and one
> of the people that worked there asked me what am I looking for? I said
> saltpeter. She said i dont know what that is. Is it some type of salt.
>
> So im basicly asking is saltpeter sold in canada?
> And if it is where is the nearest location in Toronto?

Mike

Actually in South Hampton there is a place called plant products co.
Although they are a wholesaler you may be able to get a bag, get the
technical grade 50lb for $20.
"jamie" > wrote in message
om...
> A couple of days ago i whent to the shopers drug mart close to where i
> live and i asked for salt peter and they said: we do not carry
> saltpeter here. I asked do u know what saltpeter is? She replied yes
> but we dont carry it.
>
> Then i whent to another drug mart and searched around for it and one
> of the people that worked there asked me what am I looking for? I said
> saltpeter. She said i dont know what that is. Is it some type of salt.
>
> So im basicly asking is saltpeter sold in canada?
> And if it is where is the nearest location in Toronto?

George Shirley

Ross Reid wrote:
> "Don T" > wrote:
>

>>It is given away in the forces. Wait until you are old enough and join up.
>>They will issue you a ration of it every morning and insist that you use all
>>of it by evening meal. If you don't use it on your taters they will put an
>>additional ration in your gravy. And an especially large dose will be in
>>your morning tea as tea covers the taste quite well.

> Now, there's an urban legend that's been around for a few years. First
> time I heard it was in basic training in the RCN, back in '52.
> Anyway, judging by one of the groups where the question was posted,
> the OP was more concerned with the results of an extremely rapid
> oxidation of the product.
>
> Ross.

Same rumors were going around when I enlisted in the US Navy in 1957.
"They", meaning the gubmint, were putting saltpeter in all our food.
Mainly to keep high spirited young men in control. From personal
experience I can't say if it was added to our food but from that same
personal experience I can say that if "they" did it sure didn't work. <BSEG>

George

George Shirley

Ross Reid wrote:
> "Don T" > wrote:
>

>>It is given away in the forces. Wait until you are old enough and join up.
>>They will issue you a ration of it every morning and insist that you use all
>>of it by evening meal. If you don't use it on your taters they will put an
>>additional ration in your gravy. And an especially large dose will be in
>>your morning tea as tea covers the taste quite well.

> Now, there's an urban legend that's been around for a few years. First
> time I heard it was in basic training in the RCN, back in '52.
> Anyway, judging by one of the groups where the question was posted,
> the OP was more concerned with the results of an extremely rapid
> oxidation of the product.
>
> Ross.

Same rumors were going around when I enlisted in the US Navy in 1957.
"They", meaning the gubmint, were putting saltpeter in all our food.
Mainly to keep high spirited young men in control. From personal
experience I can't say if it was added to our food but from that same
personal experience I can say that if "they" did it sure didn't work. <BSEG>

George

Ross Reid

George Shirley > wrote:

>Ross Reid wrote:
>> "Don T" > wrote:
>>

>>>It is given away in the forces. Wait until you are old enough and join up.
>>>They will issue you a ration of it every morning and insist that you use all
>>>of it by evening meal. If you don't use it on your taters they will put an
>>>additional ration in your gravy. And an especially large dose will be in
>>>your morning tea as tea covers the taste quite well.

>> Now, there's an urban legend that's been around for a few years. First
>> time I heard it was in basic training in the RCN, back in '52.
>> Anyway, judging by one of the groups where the question was posted,
>> the OP was more concerned with the results of an extremely rapid
>> oxidation of the product.
>>
>> Ross.

>Same rumors were going around when I enlisted in the US Navy in 1957.
>"They", meaning the gubmint, were putting saltpeter in all our food.
>Mainly to keep high spirited young men in control. From personal
>experience I can't say if it was added to our food but from that same
>personal experience I can say that if "they" did it sure didn't work. <BSEG>
>
>George

That's for sure. And, it's impossible to hide in those bell bottoms.
Like the old song parody says,
"Bell bottom trousers, buttons made of brass,
Loose around the ankles, tight around the a**."
What I wouldn't give to fit in those pants these days ;-).

Ross.
Ross Reid

George Shirley > wrote:

>Ross Reid wrote:
>> "Don T" > wrote:
>>

>>>It is given away in the forces. Wait until you are old enough and join up.
>>>They will issue you a ration of it every morning and insist that you use all
>>>of it by evening meal. If you don't use it on your taters they will put an
>>>additional ration in your gravy. And an especially large dose will be in
>>>your morning tea as tea covers the taste quite well.

>> Now, there's an urban legend that's been around for a few years. First
>> time I heard it was in basic training in the RCN, back in '52.
>> Anyway, judging by one of the groups where the question was posted,
>> the OP was more concerned with the results of an extremely rapid
>> oxidation of the product.
>>
>> Ross.

>Same rumors were going around when I enlisted in the US Navy in 1957.
>"They", meaning the gubmint, were putting saltpeter in all our food.
>Mainly to keep high spirited young men in control. From personal
>experience I can't say if it was added to our food but from that same
>personal experience I can say that if "they" did it sure didn't work. <BSEG>
>
>George

That's for sure. And, it's impossible to hide in those bell bottoms.
Like the old song parody says,
"Bell bottom trousers, buttons made of brass,
Loose around the ankles, tight around the a**."
What I wouldn't give to fit in those pants these days ;-).

Ross.
William R. Watt

saltpeter occurs in natural deposits. I recall on vacation in Virginia
seeing a cave where a sign said it was mined in colonial times to make
gunppwder.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm

George Shirley

Ross Reid wrote:
> George Shirley > wrote:
>

>>Ross Reid wrote:

>>>Now, there's an urban legend that's been around for a few years. First
>>>time I heard it was in basic training in the RCN, back in '52.
>>>Anyway, judging by one of the groups where the question was posted,
>>>the OP was more concerned with the results of an extremely rapid
>>>oxidation of the product.
>>>
>>>Ross.

>>Same rumors were going around when I enlisted in the US Navy in 1957.
>>"They", meaning the gubmint, were putting saltpeter in all our food.
>>Mainly to keep high spirited young men in control. From personal
>>experience I can't say if it was added to our food but from that same
>>personal experience I can say that if "they" did it sure didn't work. <BSEG>
>>
>>George

> That's for sure. And, it's impossible to hide in those bell bottoms.
> Like the old song parody says,
> "Bell bottom trousers, buttons made of brass,
> Loose around the ankles, tight around the a**."
> What I wouldn't give to fit in those pants these days ;-).
>
> Ross.

Heck Ross, when I got out of boot camp in August 1957 I weighed 149 lbs.
Up until recently I weighed more than a 100 lbs more than that. I jumped
out of a lot of airplanes at 165 lbs in the sixties and seventies and
would like to weigh that again. I broke the 200 mark this month, down to
199 from 262 and still trying to get to at least 180. Oh yeah, wish I
had the same metabolism and energy I had at 17 or even at 40.

It must be all the good cooking and preserving I do nowadays. <VBG>

George

George Shirley

Ross Reid wrote:
> George Shirley > wrote:
>

>>Ross Reid wrote:

>>>Now, there's an urban legend that's been around for a few years. First
>>>time I heard it was in basic training in the RCN, back in '52.
>>>Anyway, judging by one of the groups where the question was posted,
>>>the OP was more concerned with the results of an extremely rapid
>>>oxidation of the product.
>>>
>>>Ross.

>>Same rumors were going around when I enlisted in the US Navy in 1957.
>>"They", meaning the gubmint, were putting saltpeter in all our food.
>>Mainly to keep high spirited young men in control. From personal
>>experience I can't say if it was added to our food but from that same
>>personal experience I can say that if "they" did it sure didn't work. <BSEG>
>>
>>George

> That's for sure. And, it's impossible to hide in those bell bottoms.
> Like the old song parody says,
> "Bell bottom trousers, buttons made of brass,
> Loose around the ankles, tight around the a**."
> What I wouldn't give to fit in those pants these days ;-).
>
> Ross.

Heck Ross, when I got out of boot camp in August 1957 I weighed 149 lbs.
Up until recently I weighed more than a 100 lbs more than that. I jumped
out of a lot of airplanes at 165 lbs in the sixties and seventies and
would like to weigh that again. I broke the 200 mark this month, down to
199 from 262 and still trying to get to at least 180. Oh yeah, wish I
had the same metabolism and energy I had at 17 or even at 40.

It must be all the good cooking and preserving I do nowadays. <VBG>

George

George Shirley

Ross Reid wrote:
> George Shirley > wrote:
>

>>Ross Reid wrote:

>>>Now, there's an urban legend that's been around for a few years. First
>>>time I heard it was in basic training in the RCN, back in '52.
>>>Anyway, judging by one of the groups where the question was posted,
>>>the OP was more concerned with the results of an extremely rapid
>>>oxidation of the product.
>>>
>>>Ross.

>>Same rumors were going around when I enlisted in the US Navy in 1957.
>>"They", meaning the gubmint, were putting saltpeter in all our food.
>>Mainly to keep high spirited young men in control. From personal
>>experience I can't say if it was added to our food but from that same
>>personal experience I can say that if "they" did it sure didn't work. <BSEG>
>>
>>George

> That's for sure. And, it's impossible to hide in those bell bottoms.
> Like the old song parody says,
> "Bell bottom trousers, buttons made of brass,
> Loose around the ankles, tight around the a**."
> What I wouldn't give to fit in those pants these days ;-).
>
> Ross.

Heck Ross, when I got out of boot camp in August 1957 I weighed 149 lbs.
Up until recently I weighed more than a 100 lbs more than that. I jumped
out of a lot of airplanes at 165 lbs in the sixties and seventies and
would like to weigh that again. I broke the 200 mark this month, down to
199 from 262 and still trying to get to at least 180. Oh yeah, wish I
had the same metabolism and energy I had at 17 or even at 40.

It must be all the good cooking and preserving I do nowadays. <VBG>

George

George Shirley

IIRC correctly it is found at the bottom of old dung piles and in guano
caves. Used to have all that information readily at hand but the brain
is slowing down a lot nowadays.

George

William R. Watt wrote:

> saltpeter occurs in natural deposits. I recall on vacation in Virginia
> seeing a cave where a sign said it was mined in colonial times to make
> gunppwder.

> William R Watt National Capital FreeNet Ottawa's free community network
> homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm
> warning: non-FreeNet email must have "notspam" in subject or it's returned

George Shirley

William R. Watt wrote:

> saltpeter occurs in natural deposits. I recall on vacation in Virginia
> seeing a cave where a sign said it was mined in colonial times to make
> gunppwder.

> William R Watt National Capital FreeNet Ottawa's free community network
> homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm
> warning: non-FreeNet email must have "notspam" in subject or it's returned

Marcus Leech

"Mike" > wrote in message >...
> Actually in South Hampton there is a place called plant products co.
> Although they are a wholesaler you may be able to get a bag, get the
> technical grade 50lb for $20.

I have some of the Plant Prod KNO3+trace nutrients that I got from my local
feed-n-fertilizer store. I live out in the countryside of the Ottawa
valley, though, so bulk sales of fertilizers aren't very suspicious
out here.

Another thing to try is your local hydroponics supplier--they'll carry
KNO3 in 1 or 2lb quantities sometimes.

sarah

jamie > wrote:

[-]

> So im basicly asking is saltpeter sold in canada?
> And if it is where is the nearest location in Toronto?

I don't know -- I'm in the UK. But when I couldn't order it from the
chemist, I rang a 'butchers supplier' in the Yellow Pages, and they sent
me a kilo the next day. Worth a try.

regards
sarah

--
NB. Note change of *usenet* email address:
'amitiel.demon.do.uk' has ceased to function.
Jeff

zxcvbob > wrote >
> You can actually make saltpeter out of AN fertilizer by disolving the AN
> in water, heating, and slowly adding lye just until all the ammonia
> gasses out. The mineral contaminants in the water and in the AN will
> precipitate out as hydroxides. Filter out the particulates and
> evaporate the clear solution to leave relatively pure sodium nitrate.

Bob, that produces Chile Saltpeter. The OP was asking for saltpeter,
which is always a potassium salt. The procedure to produce KNO3 from
KCl and ammonium nitrate is outlined at this site:

http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaver...kno3/kno3.html

Jeff
zxcvbob

Jeff wrote:
> zxcvbob > wrote >
>
>>You can actually make saltpeter out of AN fertilizer by disolving the AN
>>in water, heating, and slowly adding lye just until all the ammonia
>>gasses out. The mineral contaminants in the water and in the AN will
>>precipitate out as hydroxides. Filter out the particulates and
>>evaporate the clear solution to leave relatively pure sodium nitrate.
>>

> Bob, that produces Chile Saltpeter. The OP was asking for saltpeter,
> which is always a potassium salt. The procedure to produce KNO3 from
> KCl and ammonium nitrate is outlined at this site:
>
> http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaver...kno3/kno3.html
>
> Jeff

So use caustic potash instead of lye. My method should have a much
higher efficiency than one you posted. Since OP posted in a food
preserving group I assumed he wanted the sodium salt, or didn't care
which cation.

Best regards,
Bob
Sean

Try a local butcher's supply store. I purchase my nitrite cure this way.
They are quite helpful, and more than happy to sell you a plastic jug that
will most likely take a very, very (very) long time to use up and only cost
a few dollars. The stuff I got was "Nitrite Action Cure" and is just 11.0%
Sodium Nitrite in a salt base. You need it diluted anyway, as otherwise you
could not accurately measure safe amounts.

Hope that helps.

Sean

"jamie" > wrote in message
om...
> A couple of days ago i whent to the shopers drug mart close to where i
> live and i asked for salt peter and they said: we do not carry
> saltpeter here. I asked do u know what saltpeter is? She replied yes
> but we dont carry it.
>
> Then i whent to another drug mart and searched around for it and one
> of the people that worked there asked me what am I looking for? I said
> saltpeter. She said i dont know what that is. Is it some type of salt.
>
> So im basicly asking is saltpeter sold in canada?
> And if it is where is the nearest location in Toronto?

Old Dog

"Nitrite" is not "nitrate"...

And sodium nitrate isn't saltpeter, it's Chilean saltpeter, not the same thing
at all...

I have no idea what you mean by "measuring safe amounts". There's no problem
whatsoever "measuring safe amounts" of pure saltpeter.

-Rich

news