Ribitt

Default Dried horseradish??

Is it possible to dry horseradish in a home dryer? Or would all the pungent
aroma disappear in the liquid that would be removed?

If it is possible, should it be shredded first, then dried, or should it be
dried in thin slices then shredded?

Thanks

Reg

Ribitt wrote:

> Is it possible to dry horseradish in a home dryer? Or would all the pungent
> aroma disappear in the liquid that would be removed?
>
> If it is possible, should it be shredded first, then dried, or should it be
> dried in thin slices then shredded?

I've tried it before. Sliced it thin crosswise, gave it about 16 hours
of heat at 140-150 F. I've done it with and without smoke.

I keep it in a jar and grind it as I need it (think wasabi powder).

It's doesn't lose any flavor or aroma, but given what I can buy
horseradish powder for in bulk, it's not a big money saver for me.

Reg

Horseradish cybercat General Cooking 25 20-08-2008 09:48 PM
Horseradish Andiez Preserving 9 30-06-2008 07:56 PM
Have any of you dried freezing cooked dried beans? Marc[_4_] General Cooking 11 20-03-2007 12:48 AM
horseradish SMParker General Cooking 4 17-04-2005 02:05 AM
Horseradish wolf Preserving 1 26-10-2003 01:28 AM