Chrissy

Default canning pot too big for burner

Hello -- I am a total newbie to this group and I hope I am not
repeating an oft-answered question.

My dear mom, who taught me to can, gave me my first boiling water
canning pot last year. This year I used it to sterilize some jars for
strawberry jam. I ended up scorching my stovetop around the burner
because the pot was too large and, I assume, the heat had no place to
go. Luckily I do not have a glass top nor any fancy electronics that
could have been fried.

So how can I remedy this? Can I straddle the pot over two burners? I
don't have access to any gas-powered gadget I could use outdoors.
What's my solution? I need to be able to use that pot (tomatoes are
coming in!) but I don't want to ruin my stove.

Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks.

CP
Casey Wilson

"Chrissy" > wrote in message
om...
> Hello -- I am a total newbie to this group and I hope I am not
> repeating an oft-answered question.
>
> My dear mom, who taught me to can, gave me my first boiling water
> canning pot last year. This year I used it to sterilize some jars for
> strawberry jam. I ended up scorching my stovetop around the burner
> because the pot was too large and, I assume, the heat had no place to
> go. Luckily I do not have a glass top nor any fancy electronics that
> could have been fried.
>
> So how can I remedy this? Can I straddle the pot over two burners? I
> don't have access to any gas-powered gadget I could use outdoors.
> What's my solution? I need to be able to use that pot (tomatoes are
> coming in!) but I don't want to ruin my stove.
>
> Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks.

Hi Chrissy,

I can tell you what I did on an older model gas stove. I used a wok
ring to lift the pot and still contain the heat. The ring was an truncated
cone with some holes cut in around the side. the additional inches above the
heat source made all the difference.

Take a look he

http://www.wokshop.com/HTML/products...s_wokring.html