Default 4 burner vs. 5 burner range?

So I'm redoing my kitchen, not spending a phenomenal amount on
appliances because I'm just not that good a cook, but hope to get a
nice range for $1000-$1500. There are a couple 5 burner models
available in this price range; anybody care to share their experiences
going from 4 to 5? Like it? Hate it? Can't live without it?

Most of the 5th burners are round, so I'd guess their main intended use
is as a wok burner (or a solid place to put that huuuge stock pot), but
some of the GE Profile models have griddle burners. A quick glance at
specs seems to show the 5th burners power in the 7-9K BTU area.

While I'm at it, I'd love recommendations for an inexpensive (hah!)
counter-depth refrigerator. I like bottom mount but my wife is
undecided.

Thanks. - Richard

Don Wiss

On 8 Aug 2005 13:26:12 -0700, " wrote:

>While I'm at it, I'd love recommendations for an inexpensive (hah!)
>counter-depth refrigerator. I like bottom mount but my wife is
>undecided.

All refrigerators are counter depth if you simply make the counter the same
depth as the refrigerator. Why people continue to install the silly narrow
24" base cabinets is beyond me.

Robert Klute

On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 11:33:12 -0400, Don Wiss >
wrote:

>On 8 Aug 2005 13:26:12 -0700, " wrote:
>
>>While I'm at it, I'd love recommendations for an inexpensive (hah!)
>>counter-depth refrigerator. I like bottom mount but my wife is
>>undecided.

>All refrigerators are counter depth if you simply make the counter the same
>depth as the refrigerator. Why people continue to install the silly narrow
>24" base cabinets is beyond me.

Works great for me. When I remodeled my kitchen, I brought the counter
next to the refrigerator out to 30" and added another row of cabinet
doors down at counter level. My 'appliance garage' is hidden behind the
bottom set of doors with outlets in the back wall and 18" of counter in
the front. My refrigerator is framed with the same wood as the
cabinets.
fourmations

on the burners:

a five is invaluable for me as a wok or large frying pan burner

Its location in the middle means it wont affect the use of the four others
but you would not fit a wok on the normal four corner type as
it will be too wide and close to your wall

I got a 700mm wide zannussi hob and its great (cast iron grates)
its 100mm wider that the aperture (hole) and although it sounds like
nothing, the extra 4inches helps when you have a few pots on

rgds

niall

"Robert Klute" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 11:33:12 -0400, Don Wiss >
> wrote:
>
> >On 8 Aug 2005 13:26:12 -0700, " wrote:
> >
> >>While I'm at it, I'd love recommendations for an inexpensive (hah!)
> >>counter-depth refrigerator. I like bottom mount but my wife is
> >>undecided.

> >All refrigerators are counter depth if you simply make the counter the

same
> >depth as the refrigerator. Why people continue to install the silly

narrow
> >24" base cabinets is beyond me.

> Works great for me. When I remodeled my kitchen, I brought the counter
> next to the refrigerator out to 30" and added another row of cabinet
> doors down at counter level. My 'appliance garage' is hidden behind the
> bottom set of doors with outlets in the back wall and 18" of counter in
> the front. My refrigerator is framed with the same wood as the
> cabinets.

Robert Klute

On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 15:42:12 +0100, "fourmations"
> wrote:

>on the burners:
>
>a five is invaluable for me as a wok or large frying pan burner
>
>Its location in the middle means it wont affect the use of the four others
>but you would not fit a wok on the normal four corner type as
>it will be too wide and close to your wall
>
>I got a 700mm wide zannussi hob and its great (cast iron grates)
>its 100mm wider that the aperture (hole) and although it sounds like
>nothing, the extra 4inches helps when you have a few pots on

I have a Dacor 46" dual fuel 4 gas burners plus an electric insert that
can take either a halogen pair (for a total of 6 burners) or a griddle.
Unfortunately, it doesn't look like they still offer that model - only
all gas or all electric.

For sorta' wok capability and spaghetti for 100 I have a separate 17K
BTU Gaggenau hob.

Robert Klute

On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 18:09:57 GMT, Robert Klute
> wrote:

>On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 15:42:12 +0100, "fourmations"
> wrote:
>
>>on the burners:
>>
>>a five is invaluable for me as a wok or large frying pan burner
>>
>>Its location in the middle means it wont affect the use of the four others
>>but you would not fit a wok on the normal four corner type as
>>it will be too wide and close to your wall
>>
>>I got a 700mm wide zannussi hob and its great (cast iron grates)
>>its 100mm wider that the aperture (hole) and although it sounds like
>>nothing, the extra 4inches helps when you have a few pots on
>>

>I have a Dacor 46" dual fuel 4 gas burners plus an electric insert that
>can take either a halogen pair (for a total of 6 burners) or a griddle.
>Unfortunately, it doesn't look like they still offer that model - only
>all gas or all electric.

Forgot one comment about the Dacor. The grill on them is a 5 pointed
inward star. It is a pain with small saucepans that have heavy handles.
You have to line the handle up with a spoke or the pan will tilt.
Viviane

The wok burner isn't always in the middle on the 5 burner cook tops. The
one we had, the wok burner was on the bottom right, which meant it was easy
to control the work. The burners were arranged with 2 on the right and 2 on
the left, with a long burner (for fish kettles, long griddles etc) down the
middle.

We have moved and have gone back to 4 burners and I really miss the space
that came with 5 burners - it's impossible to have 2 large pots or pans side
by side now. I can see a kitchen remodelling coming on!

"fourmations" > wrote in message
> on the burners:
>
> a five is invaluable for me as a wok or large frying pan burner
>
> Its location in the middle means it wont affect the use of the four others
> but you would not fit a wok on the normal four corner type as
> it will be too wide and close to your wall
>
> I got a 700mm wide zannussi hob and its great (cast iron grates)
> its 100mm wider that the aperture (hole) and although it sounds like
> nothing, the extra 4inches helps when you have a few pots on
>
> rgds
>
> niall
>

> "Robert Klute" > wrote in message
>> On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 11:33:12 -0400, Don Wiss >
>> wrote:

>> >All refrigerators are counter depth if you simply make the counter the

> same
>> >depth as the refrigerator. Why people continue to install the silly

> narrow
>> >24" base cabinets is beyond me.

>> Works great for me. When I remodeled my kitchen, I brought the counter
>> next to the refrigerator out to 30" and added another row of cabinet
>> doors down at counter level. My 'appliance garage' is hidden behind the
>> bottom set of doors with outlets in the back wall and 18" of counter in
>> the front. My refrigerator is framed with the same wood as the
>> cabinets.

Thanks for everybody's comments. The "budget" part of my original post
partially applies to the house; we're in a smalll space (it's a galley
that will become a U.) So, sadly, no 30" cabinets with the fridge,
because Don is absolutely right and C-D refrigerators are highway
robbery, and we'd be tight for space with a 36" top, so it's looking
like a Profile 5 burner.

More research turns up the Profile oval 5th burner is 6K BTU, and comes
with a griddle grate. Probably good enough for sausage/bacon, panini,
and the occasional 4" pancake.

A 46" Dacor. Does that come with a fold-out mattress?

Thanks. - Richard