Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Cranberry sauce

I don't know why I didn't do this before. Maybe because it's a cheaper to
buy the canned cranberry sauce? I often make my own whole-berry sauce, but
we just eat it fresh. I bought a big bag of cranberries from Costco last
week and this morning I made 6 pints of sauce and canned them.

--
-Marilyn

Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >,
"Marilyn" > wrote:

> I don't know why I didn't do this before. Maybe because it's a cheaper to
> buy the canned cranberry sauce? I often make my own whole-berry sauce, but
> we just eat it fresh. I bought a big bag of cranberries from Costco last
> week and this morning I made 6 pints of sauce and canned them.

did you use the whole berry sauce recipe on the label and then process
it? Cool beans!

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - Who Said Chickens Have Fingers?
Posted to rec.food.preserving

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Marilyn" > wrote:
>
>> I don't know why I didn't do this before. Maybe because it's a cheaper
>> buy the canned cranberry sauce? I often make my own whole-berry sauce,
>> but
>> we just eat it fresh. I bought a big bag of cranberries from Costco last
>> week and this morning I made 6 pints of sauce and canned them.

> did you use the whole berry sauce recipe on the label and then process
> it? Cool beans!
>

> --
> -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
> http://web.me.com/barbschaller - Who Said Chickens Have Fingers?
> 10-30-2009

No, I actually used the one in the Ball Complete Book. I didn't even think
about the one on the package. Actually, I don't remember if there was a
recipe on the package. I didn't even look. The brand Costco carries here
isn't Ocean Spray, it's some Canadian company. Berries are larger and much
fresher looking than the Ocean Spray ones because I had a 12-oz package of
Ocean Spray ones that I opened later and made into cranberry-orange relish,
which I did not can.

The recipe in the Ball book calls for 8 cups of berries, 4 cups of sugar and
4 cups of water and the addition of the zest from one orange, if you desire.
I actually had 14 cups of cranberries so I increased the water and sugar
proportionally. You boil the water and sugar first, then add the berries,
bring it back to a boil and boil gently for at least 15 minutes or until the
sauce starts to sheet off a cold metal spoon. Took longer than 15 minutes.
I'd say maybe more like 25 to 30 minutes. Fill the hot jars and process for
15 minutes in a BWB.

--
-Marilyn

Posted to rec.food.preserving

It's funny [to me] that most of my family likes the stuff that comes
in a can, complete with cutting "lines". It's a snap to make it, why
buy it in a can??? I always make it fresh--this year with a cup of
apple cider in place of the water--makes a richer sauce. I ate the
best-est turkey sandwich the day after--with the cranberry sauce
smeared on the bread in place of mayonaise. Yum!!!

: - )
Posted to rec.food.preserving

"Mimi" > wrote in message
> It's funny [to me] that most of my family likes the stuff that comes
> in a can, complete with cutting "lines". It's a snap to make it, why
> buy it in a can??? I always make it fresh--this year with a cup of
> apple cider in place of the water--makes a richer sauce. I ate the
> best-est turkey sandwich the day after--with the cranberry sauce
> smeared on the bread in place of mayonaise. Yum!!!
>
> : - )

I went back to Costco the day after Thanksgiving, hoping to buy another
package of those really nice cranberries and they either were out of them
and hadn't restocked or were done having them in stock period. I wanted to
make some more sauce and can it again so that I could give some away at
Christmas.

I haven't tried making the kind that's just jellied sauce without the whole
berries. Too impatient to wait for the liquid to strain.

I've got a turkey thawing as I type, waiting to pop into the oven tomorrow
morning to let cook while we're at church. We'll have a nice Sunday dinner
and the carcass will get stripped and go into the stockpot and the meat will
go in the fridge to await canning.

--
-Marilyn