Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Cranberry sauce

OK my turn to make it not just eat it, but both the ubiquitous Ocean
Spray and the store brand use high fructose corn syrup. Yeah it's
probably mostly harmless, but I try to avoid it when I can, and I've
stopped buying Ocean Spray products until and unless.

So, before I wander out to some of the better markets in the area to
see for myself (and still too early before Thanksgiving), can anybody
point to a canned cranberry sauce that does not use HFCS, or is it a
stupid question and I should just get a bag of cranberries and a cup
of sugar and take care of it myself anyway?

Thanks,

J.

ps - I plan to experiment with a number of additions to the basic
sauce.

pps - OK I guess I can at least Google ...
http://www.pacificfoods.com/food/sau...rry-sauce.aspx

Says it should be in every market, but I didn't see it in the canned
fruit section at Ralphs, maybe it's somewhere else or not in my
market, but should be in Whole Foods or others. Still it's canned,
and when cranberries are in season, is there a point to it?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 24 Sep 2015 17:02:25 -0700, JRStern >
wrote:

> or is it a
>stupid question and I should just get a bag of cranberries and a cup
>of sugar and take care of it myself anyway?

Making it yourself will be SO MUCH better, and pretty easy.

First time I made a pumpkin pie from real pumpkin,
I almost thought I'd died and gone to heaven!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/24/2015 8:02 PM, JRStern wrote:
> OK my turn to make it not just eat it, but both the ubiquitous Ocean
> Spray and the store brand use high fructose corn syrup. Yeah it's
> probably mostly harmless, but I try to avoid it when I can, and I've
> stopped buying Ocean Spray products until and unless.
>
> So, before I wander out to some of the better markets in the area to
> see for myself (and still too early before Thanksgiving), can anybody
> point to a canned cranberry sauce that does not use HFCS, or is it a
> stupid question and I should just get a bag of cranberries and a cup
> of sugar and take care of it myself anyway?

Ding ding ding ding! Absolutely, make it yourself. I make it
using a recipe with orange juice/rind. It couldn't be easier.

Of course, if you're looking for the jellied type, I'm sure
there's a recipe like that kicking around.

I never really bothered eating the canned cranberry stuff,
the fresh made sauce is an eye opener.

> pps - OK I guess I can at least Google ...
> http://www.pacificfoods.com/food/sau...rry-sauce.aspx
>
> Says it should be in every market, but I didn't see it in the canned
> fruit section at Ralphs, maybe it's somewhere else or not in my
> market, but should be in Whole Foods or others. Still it's canned,
> and when cranberries are in season, is there a point to it?

I don't think so. I'm not a can-hater but you really have
already put more energy into this search than you would buying
some cranberries and an orange and making your own.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 24 Sep 2015 20:39:01 -0400, Nancy Young
> wrote:

>On 9/24/2015 8:02 PM, JRStern wrote:
>> OK my turn to make it not just eat it, but both the ubiquitous Ocean
>> Spray and the store brand use high fructose corn syrup. Yeah it's
>> probably mostly harmless, but I try to avoid it when I can, and I've
>> stopped buying Ocean Spray products until and unless.
>>
>> So, before I wander out to some of the better markets in the area to
>> see for myself (and still too early before Thanksgiving), can anybody
>> point to a canned cranberry sauce that does not use HFCS, or is it a
>> stupid question and I should just get a bag of cranberries and a cup
>> of sugar and take care of it myself anyway?

>Ding ding ding ding! Absolutely, make it yourself. I make it
>using a recipe with orange juice/rind. It couldn't be easier.
>
>Of course, if you're looking for the jellied type, I'm sure
>there's a recipe like that kicking around.
>
>I never really bothered eating the canned cranberry stuff,
>the fresh made sauce is an eye opener.
>
>> pps - OK I guess I can at least Google ...
>> http://www.pacificfoods.com/food/sau...rry-sauce.aspx
>>
>> Says it should be in every market, but I didn't see it in the canned
>> fruit section at Ralphs, maybe it's somewhere else or not in my
>> market, but should be in Whole Foods or others. Still it's canned,
>> and when cranberries are in season, is there a point to it?

>I don't think so. I'm not a can-hater but you really have
>already put more energy into this search than you would buying
>some cranberries and an orange and making your own.

Of course they have to be in season, which is coincidentally (not!)
around now through Thanksgiving ...

But yeah, I guess so, thanks.

J.

>nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 24 Sep 2015 17:02:25 -0700, JRStern >

>Says it should be in every market, but I didn't see it in the canned
>fruit section at Ralphs, maybe it's somewhere else or not in my
>market, but should be in Whole Foods or others. Still it's canned,
>and when cranberries are in season, is there a point to it?

I don;t know the point. I ate that crap that slides out of a can for
years at Thanksgiving and somehow always knew therte was sometrhing a
lot better. Then one year my sister said "Hey, there's a recipe right
here on the bag, let's try it" and YUM!!! That was it!!!

I liked adding a little Chambord too, YUM!!!

John Kuthe...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-09-24 20:02, JRStern wrote:

> So, before I wander out to some of the better markets in the area to
> see for myself (and still too early before Thanksgiving), can anybody
> point to a canned cranberry sauce that does not use HFCS, or is it a
> stupid question and I should just get a bag of cranberries and a cup
> of sugar and take care of it myself anyway?

Get some cranberries and make it yourself. It is easy. Rinse the
berries and remove and stems or other bits. Put them in a pot with some
water and sugar, bring it to a boil and boil for a couple minutes until
the berries pop. You can add a bit of orange zest or bits of peel for
something a little different.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-09-24 20:09, The New Other Guy wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Sep 2015 17:02:25 -0700, JRStern >
> wrote:
>
>> or is it a
>> stupid question and I should just get a bag of cranberries and a cup
>> of sugar and take care of it myself anyway?

> Making it yourself will be SO MUCH better, and pretty easy.
>
> First time I made a pumpkin pie from real pumpkin,
> I almost thought I'd died and gone to heaven!

I liked the pumpkin pie I made from scratch, but my wife objected to the
stringy texture.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"JRStern" > wrote in message
> OK my turn to make it not just eat it, but both the ubiquitous Ocean
> Spray and the store brand use high fructose corn syrup. Yeah it's
> probably mostly harmless, but I try to avoid it when I can, and I've
> stopped buying Ocean Spray products until and unless.
>
> So, before I wander out to some of the better markets in the area to
> see for myself (and still too early before Thanksgiving), can anybody
> point to a canned cranberry sauce that does not use HFCS, or is it a
> stupid question and I should just get a bag of cranberries and a cup
> of sugar and take care of it myself anyway?
>
> Thanks,
>
> J.
>
> ps - I plan to experiment with a number of additions to the basic
> sauce.
>
> pps - OK I guess I can at least Google ...
> http://www.pacificfoods.com/food/sau...rry-sauce.aspx
>
> Says it should be in every market, but I didn't see it in the canned
> fruit section at Ralphs, maybe it's somewhere else or not in my
> market, but should be in Whole Foods or others. Still it's canned,
> and when cranberries are in season, is there a point to it?

I just ordered some in a jar from The Vermont Country Store with sugar in
it. I also got some canned but can't remember the brand. It was organic.
QFC had it on clearance for cheap. Let me to check the name. Grown Right.
I have seen it elsewhere but not on clearance.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"The New Other Guy" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 24 Sep 2015 17:02:25 -0700, JRStern >
> wrote:
>
>> or is it a
>>stupid question and I should just get a bag of cranberries and a cup
>>of sugar and take care of it myself anyway?

> Making it yourself will be SO MUCH better, and pretty easy.
>
> First time I made a pumpkin pie from real pumpkin,
> I almost thought I'd died and gone to heaven!

I disagree. I have never had a homemade one that I like. Perhaps because
it is so very different than the canned.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
> On 9/24/2015 8:02 PM, JRStern wrote:
>> OK my turn to make it not just eat it, but both the ubiquitous Ocean
>> Spray and the store brand use high fructose corn syrup. Yeah it's
>> probably mostly harmless, but I try to avoid it when I can, and I've
>> stopped buying Ocean Spray products until and unless.
>>
>> So, before I wander out to some of the better markets in the area to
>> see for myself (and still too early before Thanksgiving), can anybody
>> point to a canned cranberry sauce that does not use HFCS, or is it a
>> stupid question and I should just get a bag of cranberries and a cup
>> of sugar and take care of it myself anyway?

> Ding ding ding ding! Absolutely, make it yourself. I make it
> using a recipe with orange juice/rind. It couldn't be easier.
>
> Of course, if you're looking for the jellied type, I'm sure
> there's a recipe like that kicking around.
>
> I never really bothered eating the canned cranberry stuff,
> the fresh made sauce is an eye opener.
>
>> pps - OK I guess I can at least Google ...
>> http://www.pacificfoods.com/food/sau...rry-sauce.aspx
>>
>> Says it should be in every market, but I didn't see it in the canned
>> fruit section at Ralphs, maybe it's somewhere else or not in my
>> market, but should be in Whole Foods or others. Still it's canned,
>> and when cranberries are in season, is there a point to it?

> I don't think so. I'm not a can-hater but you really have
> already put more energy into this search than you would buying
> some cranberries and an orange and making your own.
>
> nancy

Easy to make but if you are looking for the same taste and texture as
canned, nope.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 24 Sep 2015 17:09:37 -0700, The New Other Guy
> wrote:

>On Thu, 24 Sep 2015 17:02:25 -0700, JRStern >
>wrote:
>
>> or is it a
>>stupid question and I should just get a bag of cranberries and a cup
>>of sugar and take care of it myself anyway?

>Making it yourself will be SO MUCH better, and pretty easy.
>
>First time I made a pumpkin pie from real pumpkin,
>I almost thought I'd died and gone to heaven!

I agree. I've made pumpkin pie from scratch exactly once, and it was
head and shoulders above anything I've ever made from a can.

I think the secret is that you have to roast the pumpkin for a very
long time.

Doris
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 24 Sep 2015 19:56:18 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"JRStern" > wrote in message
.. .
>> OK my turn to make it not just eat it, but both the ubiquitous Ocean
>> Spray and the store brand use high fructose corn syrup. Yeah it's
>> probably mostly harmless, but I try to avoid it when I can, and I've
>> stopped buying Ocean Spray products until and unless.
>>
>> So, before I wander out to some of the better markets in the area to
>> see for myself (and still too early before Thanksgiving), can anybody
>> point to a canned cranberry sauce that does not use HFCS, or is it a
>> stupid question and I should just get a bag of cranberries and a cup
>> of sugar and take care of it myself anyway?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> J.
>>
>> ps - I plan to experiment with a number of additions to the basic
>> sauce.
>>
>> pps - OK I guess I can at least Google ...
>> http://www.pacificfoods.com/food/sau...rry-sauce.aspx
>>
>> Says it should be in every market, but I didn't see it in the canned
>> fruit section at Ralphs, maybe it's somewhere else or not in my
>> market, but should be in Whole Foods or others. Still it's canned,
>> and when cranberries are in season, is there a point to it?

>I just ordered some in a jar from The Vermont Country Store with sugar in
>it. I also got some canned but can't remember the brand. It was organic.
>QFC had it on clearance for cheap. Let me to check the name. Grown Right.
>I have seen it elsewhere but not on clearance.

Thanks. Out of curiosity, I'll still look for cans, but I'm going to
grab a bag of berries as soon as they show up locally.

J.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 24 Sep 2015 20:47:27 -0500, John Kuthe >
wrote:

>On Thu, 24 Sep 2015 17:02:25 -0700, JRStern >
>wrote:

>>Says it should be in every market, but I didn't see it in the canned
>>fruit section at Ralphs, maybe it's somewhere else or not in my
>>market, but should be in Whole Foods or others. Still it's canned,
>>and when cranberries are in season, is there a point to it?

>I don;t know the point. I ate that crap that slides out of a can for
>years at Thanksgiving and somehow always knew therte was sometrhing a
>lot better. Then one year my sister said "Hey, there's a recipe right
>here on the bag, let's try it" and YUM!!! That was it!!!
>
>I liked adding a little Chambord too, YUM!!!

Now that's an idea, adding wine or liquor ... I presume you do nothing
to cook out the alcohol!

J.

>John Kuthe...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 24 Sep 2015 19:57:00 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"The New Other Guy" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Thu, 24 Sep 2015 17:02:25 -0700, JRStern >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> or is it a
>>>stupid question and I should just get a bag of cranberries and a cup
>>>of sugar and take care of it myself anyway?

>> Making it yourself will be SO MUCH better, and pretty easy.
>>
>> First time I made a pumpkin pie from real pumpkin,
>> I almost thought I'd died and gone to heaven!

>I disagree. I have never had a homemade one that I like. Perhaps because
>it is so very different than the canned.

That's so sad.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jeßus" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 24 Sep 2015 19:57:00 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>>"The New Other Guy" > wrote in message
. ..

>>> Making it yourself will be SO MUCH better, and pretty easy.
>>>
>>> First time I made a pumpkin pie from real pumpkin,
>>> I almost thought I'd died and gone to heaven!

>>I disagree. I have never had a homemade one that I like. Perhaps because
>>it is so very different than the canned.

> That's so sad.

No it's not.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 24 Sep 2015 22:38:46 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Jeßus" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Thu, 24 Sep 2015 19:57:00 -0700, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:

>>>I disagree. I have never had a homemade one that I like. Perhaps because
>>>it is so very different than the canned.

>> That's so sad.

>No it's not.

If you say something is not, then that only confirms the opposite.
It's really sad that you prefer canned vegetables.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jeßus" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 24 Sep 2015 22:38:46 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>>"Jeßus" > wrote in message
. ..
>>> On Thu, 24 Sep 2015 19:57:00 -0700, "Julie Bove"

m...

>>> That's so sad.

>>No it's not.

> If you say something is not, then that only confirms the opposite.
> It's really sad that you prefer canned vegetables.

Prefer them to what? What are you talking about? I prefer raw vegetables!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

JRStern > wrote in
:

> or is it a
> stupid question and I should just get a bag of cranberries and a cup
> of sugar and take care of it myself anyway?
>
> Thanks,
>
> J.
>
> If you decide to roll your own, here's my old standby recipe that always

(well, usually...) gets good reviews:

1 lb fresh cranberries, rinsed and picked over
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup fresh orange juice
1 tsp freshly grated lemon zest
1/2 cup meyer lemon marmalade

Put cranberries, sugar, orange juice, lemon zest and 1/2 cup water into a
medium saucepan and simmer over medium heat, stirring often, until sugar
disolves and cranberries pop, 10 - 15 minutes. Reduce heat to medium low,
stir in marmalade, and cook for 5 minutes more. Set aside to let cool,
stirring occasionally.

Transfer cranberry sauce to a glass or ceramic bowl, cover, and refrigerate
until well chilled. Sauce will keep, refrigerated, for up to two weeks.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 24 Sep 2015 21:01:37 -0700, JRStern >
wrote:

>On Thu, 24 Sep 2015 19:56:18 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:
>

>>"JRStern" > wrote in message
. ..
>>> OK my turn to make it not just eat it, but both the ubiquitous Ocean
>>> Spray and the store brand use high fructose corn syrup. Yeah it's
>>> probably mostly harmless, but I try to avoid it when I can, and I've
>>> stopped buying Ocean Spray products until and unless.
>>>
>>> So, before I wander out to some of the better markets in the area to
>>> see for myself (and still too early before Thanksgiving), can anybody
>>> point to a canned cranberry sauce that does not use HFCS, or is it a
>>> stupid question and I should just get a bag of cranberries and a cup
>>> of sugar and take care of it myself anyway?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> J.
>>>
>>> ps - I plan to experiment with a number of additions to the basic
>>> sauce.
>>>
>>> pps - OK I guess I can at least Google ...
>>> http://www.pacificfoods.com/food/sau...rry-sauce.aspx
>>>
>>> Says it should be in every market, but I didn't see it in the canned
>>> fruit section at Ralphs, maybe it's somewhere else or not in my
>>> market, but should be in Whole Foods or others. Still it's canned,
>>> and when cranberries are in season, is there a point to it?

>>I just ordered some in a jar from The Vermont Country Store with sugar in
>>it. I also got some canned but can't remember the brand. It was organic.
>>QFC had it on clearance for cheap. Let me to check the name. Grown Right.
>>I have seen it elsewhere but not on clearance.

>Thanks. Out of curiosity, I'll still look for cans, but I'm going to
>grab a bag of berries as soon as they show up locally.
>
>J.

Cranberries freeze well. I try to buy a large bag and break it down
into bags of the amount of I use for different things. None of the
bags they sell at Thanksgiving are the right amount for any of my
recipes. And the frozen ones are easier to grind for a salad I make.

--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"The Cook" > wrote in message

> Cranberries freeze well. I try to buy a large bag and break it down
> into bags of the amount of I use for different things. None of the
> bags they sell at Thanksgiving are the right amount for any of my
> recipes. And the frozen ones are easier to grind for a salad I make.

Please will you share the things you use cranberries for/with?

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 25 Sep 2015 12:43:20 +0100, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>"The Cook" > wrote in message
.. .

>> Cranberries freeze well. I try to buy a large bag and break it down
>> into bags of the amount of I use for different things. None of the
>> bags they sell at Thanksgiving are the right amount for any of my
>> recipes. And the frozen ones are easier to grind for a salad I make.

>Please will you share the things you use cranberries for/with?

http://www.npr.org/2006/11/23/417601...-relish-recipe
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Boron Elgar" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 25 Sep 2015 12:43:20 +0100, "Ophelia" >
> wrote:
>

>>"The Cook" > wrote in message
. ..

>>> Cranberries freeze well. I try to buy a large bag and break it down
>>> into bags of the amount of I use for different things. None of the
>>> bags they sell at Thanksgiving are the right amount for any of my
>>> recipes. And the frozen ones are easier to grind for a salad I make.

>>Please will you share the things you use cranberries for/with?

> http://www.npr.org/2006/11/23/417601...-relish-recipe

Thanks very much All recipes gratefully accepted

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-09-25 12:01 AM, JRStern wrote:
>>I just ordered some in a jar from The Vermont Country Store with sugar in
>> it. I also got some canned but can't remember the brand. It was organic.
>> QFC had it on clearance for cheap. Let me to check the name. Grown Right.
>> I have seen it elsewhere but not on clearance.

> Thanks. Out of curiosity, I'll still look for cans, but I'm going to
> grab a bag of berries as soon as they show up locally.

You can use frozen cranberries and the sauce will be just as good as it
would be from fresh.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-09-25 12:33 AM, Je�us wrote:

>> I disagree. I have never had a homemade one that I like. Perhaps because
>> it is so very different than the canned.

> That's so sad.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-09-25 12:33 AM, Je�us wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Sep 2015 19:57:00 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:

>> I disagree. I have never had a homemade one that I like. Perhaps because
>> it is so very different than the canned.

> That's so sad.

Figures. Add that to Julie's long list of dislikes and trying to twist
threads around to being about her.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

JRStern wrote:

> OK my turn to make it not just eat it, but both the ubiquitous Ocean
> Spray and the store brand use high fructose corn syrup. Yeah it's
> probably mostly harmless, but I try to avoid it when I can, and I've
> stopped buying Ocean Spray products until and unless.
>
> So, before I wander out to some of the better markets in the area to
> see for myself (and still too early before Thanksgiving), can anybody
> point to a canned cranberry sauce that does not use HFCS, or is it a
> stupid question and I should just get a bag of cranberries and a cup
> of sugar and take care of it myself anyway?
>
> Thanks,
>
> J.
>
> ps - I plan to experiment with a number of additions to the basic
> sauce.

The basic sauce...very basic...is just one pound of cranberries, one
cup of sugar and some water. I found that sickenly sweet.

Anyway, for jelled cranberry sauce, I do like the taste of canned. I
have in my pantry right now a can of Ocean Spray. The HFCS is in it
but as long as I like the taste, I don't worry about that. I buy maybe
2-3 cans per year. It's not like I eat it everyday. My taste buds win
on that issue.

I also have a 1-pound bag of cranberries in my freezer. I'll use that
for chunky cranberry sauce. I like the idea of using orange juice
rather than water and also putting some orange zest in it too. I will
reduce the amount of sugar next time. One cup is way to much for me.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote:
> "The Cook" > wrote in message
>
>> Cranberries freeze well. I try to buy a large bag and break it down
>> into bags of the amount of I use for different things. None of the
>> bags they sell at Thanksgiving are the right amount for any of my
>> recipes. And the frozen ones are easier to grind for a salad I make.

> Please will you share the things you use cranberries for/with?

One of my favorites is a cranberry-orange quick bread. I use a Grand
Marnier glaze on the top of it. I also use them in my broccoli (and/or
cauliflower) salad in place of raisins or sultanas.
--
jinx the minx
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 25 Sep 2015 08:20:10 -0400, Dave Smith
> > wrote:
>
>>On 2015-09-25 12:33 AM, Je?us wrote:
>>> On Thu, 24 Sep 2015 19:57:00 -0700, "Julie Bove"

>>> That's so sad.
>>>

>>Figures. Add that to Julie's long list of dislikes and trying to twist
>>threads around to being about her.

> Please get a life. You must have something better to do.

He hasn't had anything better to do for several years now. Sad or what?

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>"The Cook" > wrote in message
.. .

>> Cranberries freeze well. I try to buy a large bag and break it down
>> into bags of the amount of I use for different things. None of the
>> bags they sell at Thanksgiving are the right amount for any of my
>> recipes. And the frozen ones are easier to grind for a salad I make.

>Please will you share the things you use cranberries for/with?

Just cooked cranberries or a congealed cranberry salad.
--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Fri, 25 Sep 2015 12:43:20 +0100, "Ophelia" >
> wrote:
>

>>"The Cook" > wrote in message
. ..

>>> Cranberries freeze well. I try to buy a large bag and break it down
>>> into bags of the amount of I use for different things. None of the
>>> bags they sell at Thanksgiving are the right amount for any of my
>>> recipes. And the frozen ones are easier to grind for a salad I make.

>>Please will you share the things you use cranberries for/with?

> I have a nice cheesecake (of course) recipe for cranberries. I also
> love the dried cranberries as some people might like to snack on
> candy. There are cranberry everythings, cup cakes, cakes,
> cheesecakes, cookies, even icecream.

Not something I've had much to do with but I am willing to learn I could
dehy them if you think them worth it too. The only time I buy them is (as
sauce in a jar) for Christmas. D likes them with poultry. Too sweet for
me though. So, I will be watching for the recipes. I always like to try
something new

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 24 Sep 2015 21:02:17 -0700, JRStern >
wrote:

>On Thu, 24 Sep 2015 20:47:27 -0500, John Kuthe >
>wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 24 Sep 2015 17:02:25 -0700, JRStern >
>>wrote:

>>>Says it should be in every market, but I didn't see it in the canned
>>>fruit section at Ralphs, maybe it's somewhere else or not in my
>>>market, but should be in Whole Foods or others. Still it's canned,
>>>and when cranberries are in season, is there a point to it?

>>I don;t know the point. I ate that crap that slides out of a can for
>>years at Thanksgiving and somehow always knew therte was sometrhing a
>>lot better. Then one year my sister said "Hey, there's a recipe right
>>here on the bag, let's try it" and YUM!!! That was it!!!
>>
>>I liked adding a little Chambord too, YUM!!!

>Now that's an idea, adding wine or liquor ... I presume you do nothing
>to cook out the alcohol!
>
>J.

No, I put the Chambord in at the beginning of cooking the
cranberries/water/sugar together. Not so much to get the alcohol out
but just because it seemed a good way to do it. And it is.

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"The Cook" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 25 Sep 2015 12:43:20 +0100, "Ophelia" >
> wrote:
>

>>"The Cook" > wrote in message
. ..

>>> Cranberries freeze well. I try to buy a large bag and break it down
>>> into bags of the amount of I use for different things. None of the
>>> bags they sell at Thanksgiving are the right amount for any of my
>>> recipes. And the frozen ones are easier to grind for a salad I make.

>>Please will you share the things you use cranberries for/with?

> Just cooked cranberries or a congealed cranberry salad.

If I may ask ..what do you serve with your cooked cranberries?
--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 25 Sep 2015 09:29:06 -0500, John Kuthe >
wrote:

>On Thu, 24 Sep 2015 21:02:17 -0700, JRStern >
>wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 24 Sep 2015 20:47:27 -0500, John Kuthe >
>>wrote:

>>>I don;t know the point. I ate that crap that slides out of a can for
>>>years at Thanksgiving and somehow always knew therte was sometrhing a
>>>lot better. Then one year my sister said "Hey, there's a recipe right
>>>here on the bag, let's try it" and YUM!!! That was it!!!
>>>
>>>I liked adding a little Chambord too, YUM!!!

>>Now that's an idea, adding wine or liquor ... I presume you do nothing
>>to cook out the alcohol!
>>
>>J.

>No, I put the Chambord in at the beginning of cooking the
>cranberries/water/sugar together. Not so much to get the alcohol out
>but just because it seemed a good way to do it. And it is.

Hmm, ... well, it's child-safe anyway!

J.

>John Kuthe...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 25 Sep 2015 08:40:42 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>JRStern wrote:
>>
>> OK my turn to make it not just eat it, but both the ubiquitous Ocean
>> Spray and the store brand use high fructose corn syrup. Yeah it's
>> probably mostly harmless, but I try to avoid it when I can, and I've
>> stopped buying Ocean Spray products until and unless.
>>
>> So, before I wander out to some of the better markets in the area to
>> see for myself (and still too early before Thanksgiving), can anybody
>> point to a canned cranberry sauce that does not use HFCS, or is it a
>> stupid question and I should just get a bag of cranberries and a cup
>> of sugar and take care of it myself anyway?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> J.
>>
>> ps - I plan to experiment with a number of additions to the basic
>> sauce.

>The basic sauce...very basic...is just one pound of cranberries, one
>cup of sugar and some water. I found that sickenly sweet.
>
>Anyway, for jelled cranberry sauce, I do like the taste of canned. I
>have in my pantry right now a can of Ocean Spray. The HFCS is in it
>but as long as I like the taste, I don't worry about that. I buy maybe
>2-3 cans per year. It's not like I eat it everyday. My taste buds win
>on that issue.
>
>I also have a 1-pound bag of cranberries in my freezer. I'll use that
>for chunky cranberry sauce. I like the idea of using orange juice
>rather than water and also putting some orange zest in it too. I will
>reduce the amount of sugar next time. One cup is way to much for me.

Frozen! Thanks to all who suggested, never even occurred to me.

TJ's offers cranberry juices with no sugar they sweeten with grape,
pear, or other fruit juices instead, which I now prefer to the old
sugar-sweetened versions, wonder if that will work for cooking fresh
berries? I think we want fairly sweet to go on a Thanksgiving plate.

One of my favorite variations is with crushed pineapple, btw, which
can dilute both the bitterness of the cranberries and also sweetens
with just the juice.

J.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 25 Sep 2015 07:56:10 -0700, JRStern >
wrote:

>On Fri, 25 Sep 2015 09:29:06 -0500, John Kuthe >
>wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 24 Sep 2015 21:02:17 -0700, JRStern >
>>wrote:

>>>Now that's an idea, adding wine or liquor ... I presume you do nothing
>>>to cook out the alcohol!
>>>
>>>J.

>>No, I put the Chambord in at the beginning of cooking the
>>cranberries/water/sugar together. Not so much to get the alcohol out
>>but just because it seemed a good way to do it. And it is.

>Hmm, ... well, it's child-safe anyway!

I only put a couple of tablespoons in for a whole bag of cranberries,
and Chambord is not terribly high proof, so I doubt even if the
alcolol didn't cook off (which much probably does) not enough in a
serving of cranberry sauce to get anyone inebriated.

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 25 Sep 2015 15:30:52 +0100, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>"The Cook" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Fri, 25 Sep 2015 12:43:20 +0100, "Ophelia" >
>> wrote:

>>>Please will you share the things you use cranberries for/with?

>> Just cooked cranberries or a congealed cranberry salad.

>If I may ask ..what do you serve with your cooked cranberries?

They are served at Thanksgiving with the turkey, dressing, vegetables.
--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 25 Sep 2015 12:07:33 -0400, The Cook >
wrote:

>On Fri, 25 Sep 2015 15:30:52 +0100, "Ophelia" >
>wrote:
>

>>"The Cook" > wrote in message
. ..
> [...]
m...

>>> Just cooked cranberries or a congealed cranberry salad.

>>If I may ask ..what do you serve with your cooked cranberries?

>They are served at Thanksgiving with the turkey, dressing, vegetables.

Yes, it's part of the Revisionist History lie the U.S. tells ourselves
about when the first European settlers/conquerers came over to the
North American continent and encountered some difficulty surviving,
and the lying legen describes how the indigineous North American
people (the Indians) helped us survive by teaching us the ways of
agriculture which worked here in N. America.

Lies of couirse, but Revisionist History always is!

John Kuthe...