Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default pesto

gotta pesto question.

I have recently seen and witnessed some pretty wicked pesto being made. Is
it preservable? If so how? Has a lot of basil, parsley and cheese in it.
Any recipes?
-ginny

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Virginia Tadrzynski wrote:
> gotta pesto question.
>
> I have recently seen and witnessed some pretty wicked pesto being
> made. Is it preservable? If so how? Has a lot of basil, parsley
> and cheese in it. Any recipes? -ginny

What I would do is prepare the basic mix and then freeze. Mix in the
cheese when it thaws.

For basil pesto and other pesto recipes, try the Sauces section of my
site (the recipe archive for my Yahoogroup)
http://www.jewishfood-list.com/recip...uce_index.html
or
http://tinyurl.com/ko3k7a

B/
Posted to rec.food.preserving

Virginia Tadrzynski wrote:
> gotta pesto question.
>
> I have recently seen and witnessed some pretty wicked pesto being made. Is
> it preservable? If so how? Has a lot of basil, parsley and cheese in it.
> Any recipes?
> -ginny

I agree with Brian and Dave, that's what I do. Make the pesto (pine nuts
too expensive here so I use walnuts), leave out the cheese, freeze it on
a bun sheet, then slice it up with a pizza cutter and put in vac bags,
stores easily as you can stack them up flat. I store in 1 cup measures
myself.

Alternatively I have put the cheese in it, spooned it into ice cube
trays, froze it and then bagged it. One cube equals approximately one
tablespoon. Gets used up pretty quick so the cheese doesn't really have
time to degrade.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

George Shirley wrote:
> Virginia Tadrzynski wrote:
>> gotta pesto question.
>>
>> I have recently seen and witnessed some pretty wicked pesto being
>> made. Is it preservable? If so how? Has a lot of basil, parsley and
>> cheese in it. Any recipes?
>> -ginny
>>

> I agree with Brian and Dave, that's what I do. Make the pesto (pine nuts
> too expensive here so I use walnuts), leave out the cheese, freeze it on
> a bun sheet, then slice it up with a pizza cutter and put in vac bags,
> stores easily as you can stack them up flat. I store in 1 cup measures
> myself.
>
> Alternatively I have put the cheese in it, spooned it into ice cube
> trays, froze it and then bagged it. One cube equals approximately one
> tablespoon. Gets used up pretty quick so the cheese doesn't really have
> time to degrade.

It freezes really well. I use roasted sunflower seeds instead of pine
nuts. I recently found a quart of basil puree (not pesto) in the
freezer. Yippee!

I've planted purple ruffles basil this year. Don't know how that's
gonna work for pesto. Maybe I should plant some green too...

Bob
Posted to rec.food.preserving

zxcvbob wrote:
> George Shirley wrote:
>> Virginia Tadrzynski wrote:
>>> gotta pesto question.
>>>
>>> I have recently seen and witnessed some pretty wicked pesto being
>>> made. Is it preservable? If so how? Has a lot of basil, parsley
>>> and cheese in it. Any recipes?
>>> -ginny
>>>

>> I agree with Brian and Dave, that's what I do. Make the pesto (pine
>> nuts too expensive here so I use walnuts), leave out the cheese,
>> freeze it on a bun sheet, then slice it up with a pizza cutter and put
>> in vac bags, stores easily as you can stack them up flat. I store in 1
>> cup measures myself.
>>
>> Alternatively I have put the cheese in it, spooned it into ice cube
>> trays, froze it and then bagged it. One cube equals approximately one
>> tablespoon. Gets used up pretty quick so the cheese doesn't really
>> have time to degrade.

> It freezes really well. I use roasted sunflower seeds instead of pine
> nuts. I recently found a quart of basil puree (not pesto) in the
> freezer. Yippee!
>
> I've planted purple ruffles basil this year. Don't know how that's
> gonna work for pesto. Maybe I should plant some green too...
>
> Bob

I would, tried the purple stuff one year, didn't have the same taste and
the color was nasty.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Fri, 29 May 2009 13:48:56 -0500, zxcvbob >
wrote:

>George Shirley wrote:
>> Virginia Tadrzynski wrote:
>>> gotta pesto question.
>>>
>>> I have recently seen and witnessed some pretty wicked pesto being
>>> made. Is it preservable? If so how? Has a lot of basil, parsley and
>>> cheese in it. Any recipes?
>>> -ginny
>>>

>> I agree with Brian and Dave, that's what I do. Make the pesto (pine nuts
>> too expensive here so I use walnuts), leave out the cheese, freeze it on
>> a bun sheet, then slice it up with a pizza cutter and put in vac bags,
>> stores easily as you can stack them up flat. I store in 1 cup measures
>> myself.
>>
>> Alternatively I have put the cheese in it, spooned it into ice cube
>> trays, froze it and then bagged it. One cube equals approximately one
>> tablespoon. Gets used up pretty quick so the cheese doesn't really have
>> time to degrade.

>It freezes really well. I use roasted sunflower seeds instead of pine
>nuts. I recently found a quart of basil puree (not pesto) in the
>freezer. Yippee!
>
>I've planted purple ruffles basil this year. Don't know how that's
>gonna work for pesto. Maybe I should plant some green too...
>
>Bob

Purple makes a great vinegar.
--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >,
"Virginia Tadrzynski" > wrote:

> gotta pesto question.
>
> I have recently seen and witnessed some pretty wicked pesto being made. Is
> it preservable?

Only by freezing. Some say to leave the cheese out until you're going to
use it; others complete it and freeze it in ice cube trays. I think
zxcvbob likes to do a flat pack in a freezer back and then just breaks
some off to thaw and use.

http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/freeze/pesto.html
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - good news 4-6-2009
Posted to rec.food.preserving

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> Only by freezing. Some say to leave the cheese out until you're going to
> use it; others complete it and freeze it in ice cube trays. I think
> zxcvbob likes to do a flat pack in a freezer back and then just breaks
> some off to thaw and use.
>
> http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/freeze/pesto.html

Not me (I think it's George but might have been Ross who mentioned
that.) I've always put it up in small Tupperware containers in the
freezer. I'm going to try a freezer bag frozen into a flat pack next time.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.preserving

Brian Mailman > wrote:
> Virginia Tadrzynski wrote:
> > gotta pesto question.
> >
> > I have recently seen and witnessed some pretty wicked pesto being
> > made. Is it preservable? If so how? Has a lot of basil, parsley
> > and cheese in it. Any recipes? -ginny

> What I would do is prepare the basic mix and then freeze. Mix in the
> cheese when it thaws.
>
> For basil pesto and other pesto recipes, try the Sauces section of my
> site (the recipe archive for my Yahoogroup)
> http://www.jewishfood-list.com/recip...uce_index.html
> or
> http://tinyurl.com/ko3k7a

Thanks for posting the web site, Brian.

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Posted to rec.food.preserving

"Dave Balderstone" > wrote in message
news:290520091701272605%dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_Sbalderst one.ca...
> In article >, zxcvbob
> > wrote:
>
>> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>>
>> > Only by freezing. Some say to leave the cheese out until you're going
>> > use it; others complete it and freeze it in ice cube trays. I think
>> > zxcvbob likes to do a flat pack in a freezer back and then just breaks
>> > some off to thaw and use.
>> >
>> > http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/freeze/pesto.html

>> Not me (I think it's George but might have been Ross who mentioned
>> that.) I've always put it up in small Tupperware containers in the
>> freezer. I'm going to try a freezer bag frozen into a flat pack next
>> time.

> I did that last fall and it works fine, but I like the idea of freezing
> on a tray and slicing it up!
>
> --

Out'chere in pecahn country, I like pecans or pine nuts. And far more garlic
than ever called for! I add a whisker of rice vinegar and salty to taste,
prob helps keeping quality? I do add the cheese all before so I can give
away the occasional present. I have liked freezing in teeny mason jars,
handy for the fridge afterwards, about what we can eat in a few days before
it discolors. I also vacuum pack the jars with the Tilia suck'em up dealy
with the mason jar adapter. Oxygen is not our buddy here.
Y'all ever served avocados stuffed with pesto? Using quarters here or teeny
avocados. Very rich, serve with a crispy sort of bread.
Edrena, lustingth over the teeny basil babies.

pesto Gus[_3_] General Cooking 12 26-06-2014 08:29 PM
TJ's tub o' pesto! Andy[_2_] General Cooking 12 25-06-2007 06:20 AM
Pesto ~patches~ General Cooking 5 02-09-2005 09:14 AM
Pesto! Andy General Cooking 13 28-11-2004 08:22 AM
Uses for Pesto news.u.washington.edu General Cooking 13 03-11-2003 09:27 PM