Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Food Saver Rolls - Beware alternate brands

Just wanted to share my experiences with trying alternates for
Food Saver rolls.

I was re-ordering Food Saver rolls from a place in Miami that had
good prices, and I noticed they had other brands for quite a bit less,
so decided to try two of the small sizes as an experiment. They
came with close-spaced vertical channel ridges along both sides of the
sheet, and you can feel them sticking up. They were a disaster.

I put some cheese in one, vacuum sealed it, and it looked OK at first,
and
put it in the fridge. Well, two days later, for no apparent reason,
the air was back in the package. I examined the sealed areas closely
and the seals appeared good, but obviously were not. So, I guess the
Food Saver either does not heat the plastic long enough for this type
of roll or the plastic itself leaks.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Tue, 23 Dec 2008 05:15:31 -0600, Jim > wrote:

>Just wanted to share my experiences with trying alternates for
>Food Saver rolls.
>
>I was re-ordering Food Saver rolls from a place in Miami that had
>good prices, and I noticed they had other brands for quite a bit less,
>so decided to try two of the small sizes as an experiment. They
>came with close-spaced vertical channel ridges along both sides of the
>sheet, and you can feel them sticking up. They were a disaster.
>
>I put some cheese in one, vacuum sealed it, and it looked OK at first,
>and
>put it in the fridge. Well, two days later, for no apparent reason,
>the air was back in the package. I examined the sealed areas closely
>and the seals appeared good, but obviously were not. So, I guess the
>Food Saver either does not heat the plastic long enough for this type
>of roll or the plastic itself leaks.

Order from the company. www.jardenstore.com When you order 1 roll,
the price is $9.99/roll, 10 rolls the price is $6.99/roll. Mine did
not come in individual boxes. I don't remember the shipping but no
sales tax and it was cheaper than buying them at the outlet kitchen
store.