Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default NOTICE

To all members of HOSSPOJ living north of a line running just above the
Louisiana northern border. You are obviously not doing something right,
it is cold in SW Louisiana again today. Snow yesterday, cold and frost
today, stop it immediately.

You are hereby instructed to take out those big wooden spoons and beat
back the Canadian air entering the domain of the Father Inquisitor. That
goes for you too Mother Superior, you may be demoted to Mother Inferior.

I know Sister Edrena isn't involved as she lives West of me. Go forth,
invoke Saint Pectina of Jella and do good.

/s/

George Shirley
Father Inquisitor, HOSSPOJ and a devotee of Saint Vinegarette to boot.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

"George Shirley" > wrote in message
> To all members of HOSSPOJ living north of a line running just above the
> Louisiana northern border. You are obviously not doing something right, it
> is cold in SW Louisiana again today. Snow yesterday, cold and frost today,
> stop it immediately.
>
> You are hereby instructed to take out those big wooden spoons and beat
> back the Canadian air entering the domain of the Father Inquisitor. That
> goes for you too Mother Superior, you may be demoted to Mother Inferior.
>
> I know Sister Edrena isn't involved as she lives West of me. Go forth,
> invoke Saint Pectina of Jella and do good.
>
> /s/
>
> George Shirley
> Father Inquisitor, HOSSPOJ and a devotee of Saint Vinegarette to boot.

We got snow too. Didn't last out the day, but ol'Whiskerface & I stayed in
and watched Stargate films all day. I will get out the holiday cards this
year, I will.
Edrena

Posted to rec.food.preserving

The Joneses wrote:
> "George Shirley" > wrote in message
>> To all members of HOSSPOJ living north of a line running just above the
>> Louisiana northern border. You are obviously not doing something right, it
>> is cold in SW Louisiana again today. Snow yesterday, cold and frost today,
>> stop it immediately.
>>
>> You are hereby instructed to take out those big wooden spoons and beat
>> back the Canadian air entering the domain of the Father Inquisitor. That
>> goes for you too Mother Superior, you may be demoted to Mother Inferior.
>>
>> I know Sister Edrena isn't involved as she lives West of me. Go forth,
>> invoke Saint Pectina of Jella and do good.
>>
>> /s/
>>
>> George Shirley
>> Father Inquisitor, HOSSPOJ and a devotee of Saint Vinegarette to boot.

> We got snow too. Didn't last out the day, but ol'Whiskerface & I stayed in
> and watched Stargate films all day. I will get out the holiday cards this
> year, I will.
> Edrena

Lawdy, another Stargate fan. Stargate Atlantis is coming soon with the
series finale. I hope they replace it with something decent. Sanctuary
doesn't cut the mustard with me. Looks like the SciFi channel is turning
into the Horror and Monster channel.

You and Miz Anne have the same mantra. We been married 48 years this
month and I can't remember a time when the cards went out before
mid-January. Right now I'm trying to head off the gift buying for grand
babies plague. She seems to think that because she works and brings home
a pay check she can spend it as she pleases. Let's see, where did I put
that big wooden spoon?

Glad ol' whiskers is doing better. I'm feeling better since I went back
to work. I'm working for the guy who is running my old bidness, keep my
own hours, do what work I want, it's the best job I ever had. Yee hah!
Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default OT: Sci-Fi

Brian Mailman wrote:
> George Shirley wrote:
>

>> Sanctuary doesn't cut the mustard with me. Looks like the SciFi
>> channel is turning into the Horror and Monster channel.

> I've only seen the pilot and I have some reservations about it; I
> certainly hope it gets better. I mean, nobody's noticed that castle on
> the Hudson, and someone with those kinds of resources doesn't have the
> kind of security that would text her cell phone when the electromagnetic
> walls were taken down?
>
> OTOH, maybe it's just not aimed at our demographic.
>
> OBRFP: picked up the eggs, Safeway had bogo on the 18 pack so I got 72,
> to pickle for the new year's eve's day open house (serena, you there?).
> They'll sit until Monday so they'll be easier to peel when berled.
> Going back to Safeway to get the rest of the supplies now.
>
> B/, not 18-25

Kroger ran an add this week for large eggs at one buck a carton, touted
as being from California, of course it was one of those 10 for 10 bucks
deals, got to buy 10 cartons to get the good price. Reckon the
California egg producers are getting rid of eggs in preparation for
moving out of state before the "free range" laying hen proposition goes
into effect?

Pickled eggs affect me in ways we don't mention in polite company so I
no longer pickle them. In my gravy days used to love to sidle into a bar
room and have a couple of pickled eggs, a couple of pickled polish
sausage, and a couple dozen draft beers.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Dec 12, 3:41*pm, George Shirley > wrote:
> Brian Mailman wrote:
> > George Shirley wrote:
> >

> >> Sanctuary doesn't cut the mustard with me. Looks like the SciFi
> >> channel is turning into the Horror and Monster channel.

> > I've only seen the pilot and I have some reservations about it; I
> > certainly hope it gets better. *I mean, nobody's noticed that castle on
> > the Hudson, and someone with those kinds of resources doesn't have the
> > kind of security that would text her cell phone when the electromagnetic
> > walls were taken down?

> > OTOH, maybe it's just not aimed at our demographic.

> > OBRFP: picked up the eggs, Safeway had bogo on the 18 pack so I got 72,
> > to pickle for the new year's eve's day open house (serena, you there?).
> > *They'll sit until Monday so they'll be easier to peel when berled.
> > Going back to Safeway to get the rest of the supplies now.

> > B/, not 18-25

> Kroger ran an add this week for large eggs at one buck a carton, touted
> as being from California, of course it was one of those 10 for 10 bucks
> deals, got to buy 10 cartons to get the good price. Reckon the
> California egg producers are getting rid of eggs in preparation for
> moving out of state before the "free range" laying hen proposition goes
> into effect?
>
> Pickled eggs affect me in ways we don't mention in polite company so I
> no longer pickle them. In my gravy days used to love to sidle into a bar
> room and have a couple of pickled eggs, a couple of pickled polish
> sausage, and a couple dozen draft beers.- Hide quoted text -

I don't know about Cal, but here inthe midwest "10 for 10" simply
means each one is one buck. You don't have to buy ten of anything.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

wrote:
> On Dec 12, 3:41 pm, George Shirley > wrote:
>> Brian Mailman wrote:

>>> I've only seen the pilot and I have some reservations about it; I
>>> certainly hope it gets better. I mean, nobody's noticed that castle on
>>> the Hudson, and someone with those kinds of resources doesn't have the
>>> kind of security that would text her cell phone when the electromagnetic
>>> walls were taken down?
>>> OTOH, maybe it's just not aimed at our demographic.
>>> OBRFP: picked up the eggs, Safeway had bogo on the 18 pack so I got 72,
>>> to pickle for the new year's eve's day open house (serena, you there?).
>>> They'll sit until Monday so they'll be easier to peel when berled.
>>> Going back to Safeway to get the rest of the supplies now.
>>> B/, not 18-25

>> Kroger ran an add this week for large eggs at one buck a carton, touted
>> as being from California, of course it was one of those 10 for 10 bucks
>> deals, got to buy 10 cartons to get the good price. Reckon the
>> California egg producers are getting rid of eggs in preparation for
>> moving out of state before the "free range" laying hen proposition goes
>> into effect?
>>
>> Pickled eggs affect me in ways we don't mention in polite company so I
>> no longer pickle them. In my gravy days used to love to sidle into a bar
>> room and have a couple of pickled eggs, a couple of pickled polish
>> sausage, and a couple dozen draft beers.- Hide quoted text -

> I don't know about Cal, but here inthe midwest "10 for 10" simply
> means each one is one buck. You don't have to buy ten of anything.

I don't know about Cal either, I live in Louisiana and what is says is
what it means as far as I can find out. Thought like you did at first
but bought three of one of the 10 for 10 deals and they cost me the
regular price.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

Yup, we got snow too. Still had to go to work though. Although, the
timing was good--I go in a little later on Thursdays. Honestly, I
stood in front of my closet and wondered what I was going to wear that
day?!? Then, it struck me. I bought a pair of flannel lined denim
jeans on a trip to Tyler, Texas last spring. It turned out to be a
bit colder than forecast and I didn't want to freeze to death going to
Canton that weekend.

I got my wooden spoon ready...

: - )
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Fri 12 Dec 2008 04:13:22p, George Shirley told us...

> wrote:

on

electromagnetic

72,

there?).
>>> Kroger ran an add this week for large eggs at one buck a carton, touted
>>> as being from California, of course it was one of those 10 for 10 bucks
>>> deals, got to buy 10 cartons to get the good price. Reckon the
>>> California egg producers are getting rid of eggs in preparation for
>>> moving out of state before the "free range" laying hen proposition goes
>>> into effect?
>>>
>>> Pickled eggs affect me in ways we don't mention in polite company so I
>>> no longer pickle them. In my gravy days used to love to sidle into a

bar
>>> room and have a couple of pickled eggs, a couple of pickled polish
>>> sausage, and a couple dozen draft beers.- Hide quoted text -

>> I don't know about Cal, but here inthe midwest "10 for 10" simply
>> means each one is one buck. You don't have to buy ten of anything.
>>

> I don't know about Cal either, I live in Louisiana and what is says is
> what it means as far as I can find out. Thought like you did at first
> but bought three of one of the 10 for 10 deals and they cost me the
> regular price.

It's rare here in the Phoenix area in all the major chains that you can't
buy the number you want, say 3 out of 10, and still just pay the sale
price. In fact, if that isn't the case, the conditions of having to buy
the full number are displayed explicitly.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Date: Friday, 12(XII)/12(XII)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Christmas Day
1wks 5dys 2hrs 6mins
Wait a minute... You ain't heard nothin' yet.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >,
George Shirley > wrote:

> To all members of HOSSPOJ living north of a line running just above the
> Louisiana northern border. You are obviously not doing something right,
> it is cold in SW Louisiana again today. Snow yesterday, cold and frost
> today, stop it immediately.
>
> You are hereby instructed to take out those big wooden spoons and beat
> back the Canadian air entering the domain of the Father Inquisitor. That
> goes for you too Mother Superior, you may be demoted to Mother Inferior.
>
> I know Sister Edrena isn't involved as she lives West of me. Go forth,
> invoke Saint Pectina of Jella and do good.
>
> /s/
>
> George Shirley
> Father Inquisitor, HOSSPOJ and a devotee of Saint Vinegarette to boot.

Huh! It's 25 degrees here today. We didn't wear coats when we went to
the Mall of America this morning. Huh!

(Nyaah, nyaah!!)

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
<http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/amytaylor> -- the world can

Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >,
George Shirley > wrote:

>] I'm feeling better since I went back
> to work. I'm working for the guy who is running my old bidness, keep
> my own hours, do what work I want, it's the best job I ever had. Yee
> hah!

I'll bet Miz Anne is happier about it than you are.

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
<http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/amytaylor> -- the world can
learn much about grace from Amy and Warren.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

> It's rare here in the Phoenix area in all the major chains that you can't
> buy the number you want, say 3 out of 10, and still just pay the sale
> price. In fact, if that isn't the case, the conditions of having to buy
> the full number are displayed explicitly.
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright

Last week the local grocery had medium sized eggs for 88 cents a dozen - but
a limit of 2 dozen. This week they were $1.19. Regularly $1.69.

And I do like my 1 egg, 3 egg white omelets in the morning. And my cat
agrees because she gets the raw yolks.

I prefer Egglands - even though they are more expensive. But the last time
I bought them (with a coupon) noticed they were not as fresh as usual.
(Whites spread, yolks flattened out a bit). Wondering if the economy is
pushing people to buy the generic more and the premium (Egglands) less?

And as far as Sci-Fi goes - have most of SG-1 episodes on tape. But miss
RDA.

JonquilJan in very white and cold northern New York

Learn something new every day
As long as you are learning, you are living
When you stop learning, you start dying

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article >,
> George Shirley > wrote:
>
>> To all members of HOSSPOJ living north of a line running just above the
>> Louisiana northern border. You are obviously not doing something right,
>> it is cold in SW Louisiana again today. Snow yesterday, cold and frost
>> today, stop it immediately.
>>
>> You are hereby instructed to take out those big wooden spoons and beat
>> back the Canadian air entering the domain of the Father Inquisitor. That
>> goes for you too Mother Superior, you may be demoted to Mother Inferior.
>>
>> I know Sister Edrena isn't involved as she lives West of me. Go forth,
>> invoke Saint Pectina of Jella and do good.
>>
>> /s/
>>
>> George Shirley
>> Father Inquisitor, HOSSPOJ and a devotee of Saint Vinegarette to boot.

> Huh! It's 25 degrees here today. We didn't wear coats when we went to
> the Mall of America this morning. Huh!
>
> (Nyaah, nyaah!!)

Aw righty! and maybe, Yah! You betcha!

It's warming up again here, pretty day today. Garden shot due to frost
but still have fresh eggplant and peppers on the counter, and about a
bucket of green tomatoes.

(Nyaah, nyaah!!)
Posted to rec.food.preserving

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article >,
> George Shirley > wrote:
>
>> ] I'm feeling better since I went back
>> to work. I'm working for the guy who is running my old bidness, keep
>> my own hours, do what work I want, it's the best job I ever had. Yee
>> hah!

> I'll bet Miz Anne is happier about it than you are.

Why would she be? She's never here except to eat and sleep, today she
was teaching a freebie class on watercolor painting your own greeting cards.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

"George Shirley" > wrote in message
> To all members of HOSSPOJ living north of a line running just above the
> Louisiana northern border. You are obviously not doing something right, it
> is cold in SW Louisiana again today. Snow yesterday, cold and frost today,
> stop it immediately.
>
> You are hereby instructed to take out those big wooden spoons and beat
> back the Canadian air entering the domain of the Father Inquisitor. That
> goes for you too Mother Superior, you may be demoted to Mother Inferior.
>
> I know Sister Edrena isn't involved as she lives West of me. Go forth,
> invoke Saint Pectina of Jella and do good.
>
> /s/
>
> George Shirley
> Father Inquisitor, HOSSPOJ and a devotee of Saint Vinegarette to boot.

sorry George, I didn't mean to do it. I was just afraid I was gonna end up
with the same amount of snow as we had last year. Thought I'd spread the
'cheer' so to speak....

Kathi,
Carleton Place, Ontario Canada,
knee deep in it already....and hoping you'd send some of the tropics up our
way....

Posted to rec.food.preserving

George Shirley wrote:
> Brian Mailman wrote:

>> OBRFP: picked up the eggs, Safeway had bogo on the 18 pack so I got
>> 72, to pickle for the new year's eve's day open house (serena, you
>> there?). They'll sit until Monday so they'll be easier to peel
>> when berled. Going back to Safeway to get the rest of the supplies
>> now.

[...]

> Pickled eggs affect me in ways we don't mention in polite company so
> I no longer pickle them. In my gravy days used to love to sidle into
> a bar room and have a couple of pickled eggs, a couple of pickled
> polish sausage, and a couple dozen draft beers.

These are the "gilded eggs" from Helen Witty's "Fancy Pantry." Pretty
mild, and they only cure 2 weeks. I do one batch as the recipe says for
bright yellow, and another batch with beets and horseradish for purple.
I also cut them in half so if anyone is going to be affected they only
have themselves to blame.

B/

Posted to rec.food.preserving
ljp ljp is offline

On Dec 13, 1:51 pm, Melba's Jammin' >
wrote:
> In article >,
> George Shirley > wrote:
>
> > To all members of HOSSPOJ living north of a line running just above the
> > Louisiana northern border. You are obviously not doing something right,
> > it is cold in SW Louisiana again today. Snow yesterday, cold and frost
> > today, stop it immediately.

> > You are hereby instructed to take out those big wooden spoons and beat
> > back the Canadian air entering the domain of the Father Inquisitor. That
> > goes for you too Mother Superior, you may be demoted to Mother Inferior.

> Huh! It's 25 degrees here today. We didn't wear coats when we went to
> the Mall of America this morning. Huh!
>
> (Nyaah, nyaah!!)

It may get up -15 F today and 8 F by Tuesday and then temperatures are
expected to drop again. Working in Celsius, when we came in last
night the house and the green house were the same temperature. Only
it was +21 C indoors and - 21 C in the greenhouse. If you wondered
why we are so enthusiastic about contributing to global warming,

Edmonton relatively warm in Alberta.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

"Kathi Jones" > wrote in message

> "George Shirley" > wrote in message
>> To all members of HOSSPOJ living north of a line running just above the
>> Louisiana northern border. You are obviously not doing something right,
>> it is cold in SW Louisiana again today. Snow yesterday, cold and frost
>> today, stop it immediately.
>>
>> You are hereby instructed to take out those big wooden spoons and beat
>> back the Canadian air entering the domain of the Father Inquisitor. That
>> goes for you too Mother Superior, you may be demoted to Mother Inferior.
>>
>> I know Sister Edrena isn't involved as she lives West of me. Go forth,
>> invoke Saint Pectina of Jella and do good.
>>
>> /s/
>>
>> George Shirley
>> Father Inquisitor, HOSSPOJ and a devotee of Saint Vinegarette to boot.

> sorry George, I didn't mean to do it. I was just afraid I was gonna end
> up with the same amount of snow as we had last year. Thought I'd spread
> the 'cheer' so to speak....
>
> Kathi,
> Carleton Place, Ontario Canada,
> knee deep in it already....and hoping you'd send some of the tropics up
> our way....
>wooden spoons..ha..they will not defend you from us

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"lamont cranston" > wrote in message

> "Kathi Jones" > wrote in message
>>
>> "George Shirley" > wrote in message
>>> To all members of HOSSPOJ living north of a line running just above the
>>> Louisiana northern border. You are obviously not doing something right,
>>> it is cold in SW Louisiana again today. Snow yesterday, cold and frost
>>> today, stop it immediately.
>>>
>>> You are hereby instructed to take out those big wooden spoons and beat
>>> back the Canadian air entering the domain of the Father Inquisitor. That
>>> goes for you too Mother Superior, you may be demoted to Mother Inferior.
>>>
>>> I know Sister Edrena isn't involved as she lives West of me. Go forth,
>>> invoke Saint Pectina of Jella and do good.
>>>
>>> /s/
>>>
>>> George Shirley
>>> Father Inquisitor, HOSSPOJ and a devotee of Saint Vinegarette to boot.

>> sorry George, I didn't mean to do it. I was just afraid I was gonna end
>> up with the same amount of snow as we had last year. Thought I'd spread
>> the 'cheer' so to speak....
>>
>> Kathi,
>> Carleton Place, Ontario Canada,
>> knee deep in it already....and hoping you'd send some of the tropics up
>> our way....
>>wooden spoons..ha..they will not defend you from us

looks like I got my wish...it's raining here today!. It's +4C right now and
going up to +9C later today - that would almost be considered tropical this
time of year!

Kathi,
headed to the dentist to get my first ever crown made! UGH! What a great
Christmas gift to myself!