Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Pie Filling

After hemming and hawing about it for years, I finally broke down and put
out the money to buy a 25-pound bag of Clear Jell (that's how it comes at
the Cash & Carry where I bought it). $40, but a friend of mine who cans is
going to buy half of it from me so that decreases the ouch factor a bit.

First, I made a couple of jars of apple pie filling just to see how it would
work. I followed the directions on the NCHFP site, but I'm wondering if
maybe the amount of Clear Jel specified per quart is a little more than
necessary. It calls for 1/4 cup, plus 2 tbsp and it made the mixture
really, really thick. It was very difficult to get it to boil as the
directions stated since it got so thick and started sticking to the pan. No
amount of stirring helped. I went ahead and finished making the filling and
put it in the jars and processed it and it looks really pretty. I actually
had a little more filling than would fit in the jars so I put that in a
separate container in the fridge. Taste testing confirms that it's really,
really yummy.

Last night, I made one quart of plum pie filling. There's no recipe for it,
but I followed the directions for blueberry this time instead of apple since
it didn't call for apple juice or cinnamon. I have an Italian prune plum
tree that has produced much too abundantly this year and I have to do
something other than just can the plums or make them into jam or dehydrate
them. Same problem with it getting too thick.

Is it okay to experiment with the amount of Clear Jel to get it to the
consistency I want?

-Marilyn

Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >,
"Marilyn" > wrote:

> After hemming and hawing about it for years, I finally broke down and put
> out the money to buy a 25-pound bag of Clear Jell (that's how it comes at
> the Cash & Carry where I bought it). $40, but a friend of mine who cans is
> going to buy half of it from me so that decreases the ouch factor a bit.
>
> First, I made a couple of jars of apple pie filling just to see how it would
> work. I followed the directions on the NCHFP site, but I'm wondering if
> maybe the amount of Clear Jel specified per quart is a little more than
> necessary. It calls for 1/4 cup, plus 2 tbsp and it made the mixture
> really, really thick. It was very difficult to get it to boil as the
> directions stated since it got so thick and started sticking to the pan. No
> amount of stirring helped. I went ahead and finished making the filling and
> put it in the jars and processed it and it looks really pretty. I actually
> had a little more filling than would fit in the jars so I put that in a
> separate container in the fridge. Taste testing confirms that it's really,
> really yummy.
>
> Last night, I made one quart of plum pie filling. There's no recipe for it,
> but I followed the directions for blueberry this time instead of apple since
> it didn't call for apple juice or cinnamon. I have an Italian prune plum
> tree that has produced much too abundantly this year and I have to do
> something other than just can the plums or make them into jam or dehydrate
> them. Same problem with it getting too thick.
>
> Is it okay to experiment with the amount of Clear Jel to get it to the
> consistency I want?
>
> -Marilyn

Sure. It's there for thickening and nothing else. You got the right
kind, right? Just checking.

"Before assembling the other ingredients, including fresh fruits, to
make the pie fillings in Extension canning recommendations, check to
see if you will be able to get ClearJelŽ. There is no substitution for
ClearJelŽ that can be made in these recipes. This means do not use
other corn starch, flour, tapioca, or other thickener in our recipes.
You also must use ClearJelŽ and not Instant ClearJelŽ, ClearJel AŽ, any
other form of ClearJelŽ, or any other modified corn starch."
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller, and here's the link to my appearance
Posted to rec.food.preserving

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Marilyn" > wrote:
>
>> After hemming and hawing about it for years, I finally broke down and put
>> out the money to buy a 25-pound bag of Clear Jell (that's how it comes at
>> the Cash & Carry where I bought it). $40, but a friend of mine who cans
>> is
>> going to buy half of it from me so that decreases the ouch factor a bit.
>>
>> First, I made a couple of jars of apple pie filling just to see how it
>> would
>> work. I followed the directions on the NCHFP site, but I'm wondering if
>> maybe the amount of Clear Jel specified per quart is a little more than
>> necessary. It calls for 1/4 cup, plus 2 tbsp and it made the mixture
>> really, really thick. It was very difficult to get it to boil as the
>> directions stated since it got so thick and started sticking to the pan.
>> No
>> amount of stirring helped. I went ahead and finished making the filling
>> and
>> put it in the jars and processed it and it looks really pretty. I
>> actually
>> had a little more filling than would fit in the jars so I put that in a
>> separate container in the fridge. Taste testing confirms that it's
>> really,
>> really yummy.
>>
>> Last night, I made one quart of plum pie filling. There's no recipe for
>> it,
>> but I followed the directions for blueberry this time instead of apple
>> since
>> it didn't call for apple juice or cinnamon. I have an Italian prune plum
>> tree that has produced much too abundantly this year and I have to do
>> something other than just can the plums or make them into jam or
>> dehydrate
>> them. Same problem with it getting too thick.
>>
>> Is it okay to experiment with the amount of Clear Jel to get it to the
>> consistency I want?
>>
>> -Marilyn

> Sure. It's there for thickening and nothing else. You got the right
> kind, right? Just checking.
>
> "Before assembling the other ingredients, including fresh fruits, to
> make the pie fillings in Extension canning recommendations, check to
> see if you will be able to get ClearJelŽ. There is no substitution for
> ClearJelŽ that can be made in these recipes. This means do not use
> other corn starch, flour, tapioca, or other thickener in our recipes.
> You also must use ClearJelŽ and not Instant ClearJelŽ, ClearJel AŽ, any
> other form of ClearJelŽ, or any other modified corn starch."
> --
> -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ

They only sell one kind there and it doesn't say instant on the bag. I
believe it just said regular. I have already disposed of the bag, though,
and distributed it into one-gallon canisters, which hold about five pounds.

I was thinking it was probably okay to lower the amount since it really
isn't a part of the preservation process. I also think that if I'm making a
small amount, say only a quart jar, then if I used a smaller pan (it calls
for using a large kettle) that maybe decreasing the surface area would make
it so it wouldn't get hot enough to thicken quite as fast. Does that make
sense?

I know I've got peaches sitting in my freezer that would be great to make
into pie filling, too.

-Marilyn

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Fri, 03 Oct 2008 18:13:05 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>In article >,
> "Marilyn" > wrote:
>
>> After hemming and hawing about it for years, I finally broke down and put
>> out the money to buy a 25-pound bag of Clear Jell (that's how it comes at
>> the Cash & Carry where I bought it). $40, but a friend of mine who cans is
>> going to buy half of it from me so that decreases the ouch factor a bit.
>>
>> First, I made a couple of jars of apple pie filling just to see how it would
>> work. I followed the directions on the NCHFP site, but I'm wondering if
>> maybe the amount of Clear Jel specified per quart is a little more than
>> necessary. It calls for 1/4 cup, plus 2 tbsp and it made the mixture
>> really, really thick. It was very difficult to get it to boil as the
>> directions stated since it got so thick and started sticking to the pan. No
>> amount of stirring helped. I went ahead and finished making the filling and
>> put it in the jars and processed it and it looks really pretty. I actually
>> had a little more filling than would fit in the jars so I put that in a
>> separate container in the fridge. Taste testing confirms that it's really,
>> really yummy.
>>
>> Last night, I made one quart of plum pie filling. There's no recipe for it,
>> but I followed the directions for blueberry this time instead of apple since
>> it didn't call for apple juice or cinnamon. I have an Italian prune plum
>> tree that has produced much too abundantly this year and I have to do
>> something other than just can the plums or make them into jam or dehydrate
>> them. Same problem with it getting too thick.
>>
>> Is it okay to experiment with the amount of Clear Jel to get it to the
>> consistency I want?
>>
>> -Marilyn

>Sure. It's there for thickening and nothing else. You got the right
>kind, right? Just checking.
>
>"Before assembling the other ingredients, including fresh fruits, to
>make the pie fillings in Extension canning recommendations, check to
>see if you will be able to get ClearJelŽ. There is no substitution for
>ClearJelŽ that can be made in these recipes. This means do not use
>other corn starch, flour, tapioca, or other thickener in our recipes.
>You also must use ClearJelŽ and not Instant ClearJelŽ, ClearJel AŽ, any
>other form of ClearJelŽ, or any other modified corn starch."

Also check the instructions carefully. I did some a few years ago and
it was too stiff. I reread the instructions and I had measured
something at the wrong stage. Haven't dried it again. Maybe I should
and see if I can get it right.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Fri, 3 Oct 2008 09:01:37 -0700, "Marilyn"
> wrote:

>After hemming and hawing about it for years, I finally broke down and put
>out the money to buy a 25-pound bag of Clear Jell (that's how it comes at
>the Cash & Carry where I bought it). $40, but a friend of mine who cans is
>going to buy half of it from me so that decreases the ouch factor a bit.
>
>First, I made a couple of jars of apple pie filling just to see how it would
>work. I followed the directions on the NCHFP site, but I'm wondering if
>maybe the amount of Clear Jel specified per quart is a little more than
>necessary. It calls for 1/4 cup, plus 2 tbsp and it made the mixture
>really, really thick. It was very difficult to get it to boil as the
>directions stated since it got so thick and started sticking to the pan. No
>amount of stirring helped. I went ahead and finished making the filling and
>put it in the jars and processed it and it looks really pretty. I actually
>had a little more filling than would fit in the jars so I put that in a
>separate container in the fridge. Taste testing confirms that it's really,
>really yummy.
>
>Last night, I made one quart of plum pie filling. There's no recipe for it,
>but I followed the directions for blueberry this time instead of apple since
>it didn't call for apple juice or cinnamon. I have an Italian prune plum
>tree that has produced much too abundantly this year and I have to do
>something other than just can the plums or make them into jam or dehydrate
>them. Same problem with it getting too thick.
>
>Is it okay to experiment with the amount of Clear Jel to get it to the
>consistency I want?
>
>-Marilyn

Like Barb has said, it's only for thickening so it should be OK to
play with the amount. Now, I have a sort of related question.
Anybody know where to get ClearJel up here in Canada?
Bernardin's web site lists it but says it is not a product sold by
Bernardin and gives a link to a retailer (Golda's Kitchen). But, when
you go there it says:
Availability: not available
We no longer have stock of this item and will not be obtaining
additional stock.
Beside that, at the price listed, $6.00 for 500 grams(3-3/4 cups), I
wouldn't be buying it anyway.
I guess I'll stick to tapioca, it works well enough for me.

Ross.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"The Cook" > wrote in message
> [...]
>>> consistency I want?
>>>
>>> -Marilyn

>>Sure. It's there for thickening and nothing else. You got the right
>>kind, right? Just checking.
>>
>>"Before assembling the other ingredients, including fresh fruits, to
>>make the pie fillings in Extension canning recommendations, check to
>>see if you will be able to get ClearJelŽ. There is no substitution for
>>ClearJelŽ that can be made in these recipes. This means do not use
>>other corn starch, flour, tapioca, or other thickener in our recipes.
>>You also must use ClearJelŽ and not Instant ClearJelŽ, ClearJel AŽ, any
>>other form of ClearJelŽ, or any other modified corn starch."

> Also check the instructions carefully. I did some a few years ago and
> it was too stiff. I reread the instructions and I had measured
> something at the wrong stage. Haven't dried it again. Maybe I should

I followed the instructions at the NCHFP site for apple pie filling:

"For fresh fruit, place 6 cups at a time in 1 gallon of boiling water. Boil
each batch 1 minute after the water returns to a boil. Drain, but keep
heated fruit in a covered bowl or pot. Combine sugar, Clear JelŽ, and
cinnamon in a large kettle with water and apple juice. If desired, food
coloring and nutmeg may be added. Stir and cook on medium high heat until
mixture thickens and begins to bubble. Add lemon juice and boil 1 minute,
stirring constantly. Fold in drained apple slices immediately and fill jars
with mixture without delay, leaving 1 inch headspace. Adjust lids and
process immediately according to the recommendations in Table 2."

Amount of Clear Jel for each quart is 1/4 cup. It just seemed that the
liquid to Clear Jel ratio was maybe a little light on the liquid side. I
have not opened a jar to make pie with yet to see if the filling bakes to
the correct consistency so we'll see what happens when I get around to that.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Marilyn" > wrote:
>

>> Is it okay to experiment with the amount of Clear Jel to get it to the
>> consistency I want?
>>
>> -Marilyn

> Sure. It's there for thickening and nothing else. You got the right
> kind, right? Just checking.

I thought there was some caution against stuff being too thick -- something
about the heat not getting into the product enough during processing. I
know that is the reason you can't can mashed pumpkin.

Maybe that doesn't apply to Clear Jel products though?

Anny

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"Anny Middon" > wrote in message
> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
>> In article >,
>> "Marilyn" > wrote:
>>

>>> Is it okay to experiment with the amount of Clear Jel to get it to the
>>> consistency I want?
>>>
>>> -Marilyn

>> Sure. It's there for thickening and nothing else. You got the right
>> kind, right? Just checking.
>>

> I thought there was some caution against stuff being too thick --
> something about the heat not getting into the product enough during
> processing. I know that is the reason you can't can mashed pumpkin.
>
> Maybe that doesn't apply to Clear Jel products though?
>
> Anny

I don't think this applies when you're talking about fruit, though. Pumpkin
is different. If you read what the NCHFP site says, you'll see the
difference:

http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/publication...in_butter.html

It's not just the viscosity, but also the acidity and the water activity.

Pie filling in cake? [email protected] General Cooking 12 03-07-2013 04:18 PM
Filling Up My Cupboard Isabella Woodhouse Preserving 13 17-08-2008 09:18 AM
jar filling dave Preserving 1 09-08-2008 02:46 PM
Ho Ho Filling [email protected] Recipes (moderated) 0 14-02-2007 01:58 PM
cream filling help Larry Clark Baking 5 16-11-2004 01:23 AM