Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default question about homemade vanilla extract

We are planning on making our own homemade vanilla extract. What I
want to do is to be able to give some as gifts. What size bottle would
anyone recommend for gifts? The other question is if I would need to
seal, like with canning, such jars of extract once it is made, after 6
months, or what? Would this homemade extract be ok just sitting on
shelves or should it be refrigerated or what? Any suggestions would be
appreciated.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Ozark Baby wrote:
> We are planning on making our own homemade vanilla extract. What I
> want to do is to be able to give some as gifts. What size bottle would
> anyone recommend for gifts? The other question is if I would need to
> seal, like with canning, such jars of extract once it is made, after 6
> months, or what? Would this homemade extract be ok just sitting on
> shelves or should it be refrigerated or what? Any suggestions would be
> appreciated.

Are you gonna get 5 ounce glass bottles for it? (I've never seen little
brown bottles for sale, but that would be the way to go if you can find
them.) I don't know how you intend to make your extract, I'll assume by
steeping chopped vanilla beans in bourbon or rye or vodka, but i think
you just need to screw the lids down tight.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.preserving

zxcvbob wrote:
> Ozark Baby wrote:
>> We are planning on making our own homemade vanilla extract. What I
>> want to do is to be able to give some as gifts. What size bottle would
>> anyone recommend for gifts? The other question is if I would need to
>> seal, like with canning, such jars of extract once it is made, after 6
>> months, or what? Would this homemade extract be ok just sitting on
>> shelves or should it be refrigerated or what? Any suggestions would be
>> appreciated.
>>

> Are you gonna get 5 ounce glass bottles for it? (I've never seen little
> brown bottles for sale, but that would be the way to go if you can find
> them.) I don't know how you intend to make your extract, I'll assume by
> steeping chopped vanilla beans in bourbon or rye or vodka, but i think
> you just need to screw the lids down tight.
>
> Bob

Most vanilla extract on the market is done in ethanol, ie 200 proof
alcohol IIRC. I guess you could do in the liquors you mentioned but
seems a waste of sipping booze.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 18:26:57 -0500, zxcvbob >
wrote:

>Ozark Baby wrote:
>> We are planning on making our own homemade vanilla extract. What I
>> want to do is to be able to give some as gifts. What size bottle would
>> anyone recommend for gifts? The other question is if I would need to
>> seal, like with canning, such jars of extract once it is made, after 6
>> months, or what? Would this homemade extract be ok just sitting on
>> shelves or should it be refrigerated or what? Any suggestions would be
>> appreciated.
>>

>Are you gonna get 5 ounce glass bottles for it? (I've never seen little
>brown bottles for sale, but that would be the way to go if you can find
>them.) I don't know how you intend to make your extract, I'll assume by
>steeping chopped vanilla beans in bourbon or rye or vodka, but i think
>you just need to screw the lids down tight.
>
>Bob

Thank you for your reply. Yes, I was thinking about 5-8 oz sizes, as
these will be presents for Christmas.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

"George Shirley" > wrote in message
. ..
> zxcvbob wrote:
>> Ozark Baby wrote:
>>> We are planning on making our own homemade vanilla extract. What I
>>> want to do is to be able to give some as gifts. What size bottle would
>>> anyone recommend for gifts? The other question is if I would need to
>>> seal, like with canning, such jars of extract once it is made, after 6
>>> months, or what? Would this homemade extract be ok just sitting on
>>> shelves or should it be refrigerated or what? Any suggestions would be
>>> appreciated.
>>>

>> Are you gonna get 5 ounce glass bottles for it? (I've never seen little
>> brown bottles for sale, but that would be the way to go if you can find
>> them.) I don't know how you intend to make your extract, I'll assume by
>> steeping chopped vanilla beans in bourbon or rye or vodka, but i think
>> you just need to screw the lids down tight.
>>
>> Bob
>>

> Most vanilla extract on the market is done in ethanol, ie 200 proof
> alcohol IIRC. I guess you could do in the liquors you mentioned but seems
> a waste of sipping booze.

Actually, it's not, esp. as it's for a gift. I made a quart bottle of
coffee/vanilla liquor with about 6 vanilla beans and extrastrong espresso. I
used Everclear (the highest proof food-type alcohol I could buy). It was
tasty but would have been better with brandy or 151 rum. Smoother, nicer,
you know? BTW, the vanilla beans eventually dissolved altogether. One can
buy cutsy (pint?) bottles with a vanilla bean or two in thar and one pours
over one's likker of choice. Might be an idea here, and not have to worry
about preservation. I kept my concoction in the cupboard till I drank it all
up, and I didn't get blinded or nothin'. I believe the alcohol successfully
kills most germs and renders the stuff unlikely to grow any more.
If you know your friend's drink of choice, maybe two-gifts-in-one? Bottle
of likker, pretty little bottle with fancy vanilla bean? Cork. There you go.
Edrena

Posted to rec.food.preserving

The Joneses wrote:
> "George Shirley" > wrote in message
> . ..
>> zxcvbob wrote:
>>>>

>>> Are you gonna get 5 ounce glass bottles for it? (I've never seen little
>>> brown bottles for sale, but that would be the way to go if you can find
>>> them.) I don't know how you intend to make your extract, I'll assume by
>>> steeping chopped vanilla beans in bourbon or rye or vodka, but i think
>>> you just need to screw the lids down tight.
>>>
>>> Bob
>>>

>> Most vanilla extract on the market is done in ethanol, ie 200 proof
>> alcohol IIRC. I guess you could do in the liquors you mentioned but seems
>> a waste of sipping booze.

> Actually, it's not, esp. as it's for a gift. I made a quart bottle of
> coffee/vanilla liquor with about 6 vanilla beans and extrastrong espresso. I
> used Everclear (the highest proof food-type alcohol I could buy). It was
> tasty but would have been better with brandy or 151 rum. Smoother, nicer,
> you know? BTW, the vanilla beans eventually dissolved altogether. One can
> buy cutsy (pint?) bottles with a vanilla bean or two in thar and one pours
> over one's likker of choice. Might be an idea here, and not have to worry
> about preservation. I kept my concoction in the cupboard till I drank it all
> up, and I didn't get blinded or nothin'. I believe the alcohol successfully
> kills most germs and renders the stuff unlikely to grow any more.
> If you know your friend's drink of choice, maybe two-gifts-in-one? Bottle
> of likker, pretty little bottle with fancy vanilla bean? Cork. There you go.
> Edrena

Yahbut! That's a liqueur, not vanilla extract, which is what you asked
about.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Sep 20, 6:15*pm, Ozark Baby > wrote:
> On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 18:26:57 -0500, zxcvbob >
> wrote:
>

> >Ozark Baby wrote:
> >> We are planning on making our own homemade vanilla extract. What I
> >> want to do is to be able to give some as gifts. What size bottle would
> >> anyone recommend for gifts? The other question is if I would need to
> >> seal, like with canning, such jars of extract once it is made, after 6
> >> months, or what? Would this homemade extract be ok just sitting on
> >> shelves or should it be refrigerated or what? Any suggestions would be
> >> appreciated.

> >Are you gonna get 5 ounce glass bottles for it? *(I've never seen little
> >brown bottles for sale, but that would be the way to go if you can find
> >them.) *I don't know how you intend to make your extract, I'll assume by
> >steeping chopped vanilla beans in bourbon or rye or vodka, but i think
> >you just need to screw the lids down tight.

> >Bob

> Thank you for your reply. Yes, I was thinking about 5-8 oz sizes, as
> these will be presents for Christmas.

Well you do realize that once we open those bottles of vanilla they
sit in the cupboard sometimes for years and are just fine. My bottle
source is Mountain Rose Herbs http://www.mountainroseherbs.com/sup...s_bottles.html
Posted to rec.food.preserving

cooksalot wrote:
> On Sep 20, 6:15 pm, Ozark Baby > wrote:
>> On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 18:26:57 -0500, zxcvbob >
>> wrote:

>>> Are you gonna get 5 ounce glass bottles for it? (I've never seen little
>>> brown bottles for sale, but that would be the way to go if you can find
>>> them.) I don't know how you intend to make your extract, I'll assume by
>>> steeping chopped vanilla beans in bourbon or rye or vodka, but i think
>>> you just need to screw the lids down tight.
>>> Bob

>> Thank you for your reply. Yes, I was thinking about 5-8 oz sizes, as
>> these will be presents for Christmas.

> Well you do realize that once we open those bottles of vanilla they
> sit in the cupboard sometimes for years and are just fine. My bottle
> source is Mountain Rose Herbs http://www.mountainroseherbs.com/sup...s_bottles.html

Specialty Bottle (http://www.specialtybottle.com/) is another fine
source for containers. I've been very happy with my orders from them.
I use their tins for dry herbs and spices and have some eye-dropper
bottles for citrus oils and the like. They have very competitive
pricing too (always a bonus).
Posted to rec.food.preserving

zipporah wrote:
> cooksalot wrote:
>> On Sep 20, 6:15 pm, Ozark Baby > wrote:

>>> Thank you for your reply. Yes, I was thinking about 5-8 oz sizes, as
>>> these will be presents for Christmas.

>> Well you do realize that once we open those bottles of vanilla they
>> sit in the cupboard sometimes for years and are just fine. My bottle
>> source is Mountain Rose Herbs
>> http://www.mountainroseherbs.com/sup...s_bottles.html

> Specialty Bottle (http://www.specialtybottle.com/) is another fine
> source for containers. I've been very happy with my orders from them. I
> use their tins for dry herbs and spices and have some eye-dropper
> bottles for citrus oils and the like. They have very competitive
> pricing too (always a bonus).

I think I would use these: (either the 2 oz or 4 oz with plain lids)
http://www.specialtybottle.com/index...on=Custom&ID=2

Bob
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Sun, 21 Sep 2008 16:06:28 -0500, zxcvbob >
wrote:

>zipporah wrote:
>> cooksalot wrote:

>>> Well you do realize that once we open those bottles of vanilla they
>>> sit in the cupboard sometimes for years and are just fine. My bottle
>>> source is Mountain Rose Herbs
>>> http://www.mountainroseherbs.com/sup...s_bottles.html

>> Specialty Bottle (http://www.specialtybottle.com/) is another fine
>> source for containers. I've been very happy with my orders from them. I
>> use their tins for dry herbs and spices and have some eye-dropper
>> bottles for citrus oils and the like. They have very competitive
>> pricing too (always a bonus).

>I think I would use these: (either the 2 oz or 4 oz with plain lids)
>http://www.specialtybottle.com/index...on=Custom&ID=2
>
>Bob

I am wondering if plastic can be used? What are your thoughts?

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Ozark Baby wrote:
> On Sun, 21 Sep 2008 16:06:28 -0500, zxcvbob >
> wrote:
>
>> zipporah wrote:

>>> Specialty Bottle (http://www.specialtybottle.com/) is another fine
>>> source for containers. I've been very happy with my orders from them. I
>>> use their tins for dry herbs and spices and have some eye-dropper
>>> bottles for citrus oils and the like. They have very competitive
>>> pricing too (always a bonus).

>> I think I would use these: (either the 2 oz or 4 oz with plain lids)
>> http://www.specialtybottle.com/index...on=Custom&ID=2
>>
>> Bob

> I am wondering if plastic can be used? What are your thoughts?

The extract will last a lot longer in glass (especially brown glass) and
you don't have to worry about the alcohol slowly leaching chemicals from
the plastic.

BTW, I read an article in Cooks magazine a few years ago, and their
homemade vanilla was more expensive than commercial vanilla and not as
good -- even though they used good beans. Of course yours will be
different ;-)

What spirits are you planning to use? (I would use bourbon or rye
whiskey because they have a spicy aroma already.)

Bob
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Sun 21 Sep 2008 03:08:15p, Ozark Baby told us...

> On Sun, 21 Sep 2008 16:06:28 -0500, zxcvbob >
> wrote:
>
>>zipporah wrote:

>>> Specialty Bottle (http://www.specialtybottle.com/) is another fine
>>> source for containers. I've been very happy with my orders from them.
>>> I use their tins for dry herbs and spices and have some eye-dropper
>>> bottles for citrus oils and the like. They have very competitive
>>> pricing too (always a bonus).

>>I think I would use these: (either the 2 oz or 4 oz with plain lids)
>>http://www.specialtybottle.com/index...on=Custom&ID=2
>>
>>Bob

> I am wondering if plastic can be used? What are your thoughts?

Food or medical grade plasic can be used. I have bought pure vanilla
extract at Costco in one pint plastic bottles.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Sunday, 09(IX)/21(XXI)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Veteran's Day
7wks 1dys 6hrs 45mins
An evil mind is a constant solace.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Sun 21 Sep 2008 03:25:04p, zxcvbob told us...

> Ozark Baby wrote:
>> On Sun, 21 Sep 2008 16:06:28 -0500, zxcvbob >
>> wrote:

>>> I think I would use these: (either the 2 oz or 4 oz with plain lids)
>>> http://www.specialtybottle.com/index...on=Custom&ID=2
>>>
>>> Bob

>> I am wondering if plastic can be used? What are your thoughts?

> The extract will last a lot longer in glass (especially brown glass) and
> you don't have to worry about the alcohol slowly leaching chemicals from
> the plastic.
>
> BTW, I read an article in Cooks magazine a few years ago, and their
> homemade vanilla was more expensive than commercial vanilla and not as
> good -- even though they used good beans. Of course yours will be
> different ;-)
>
> What spirits are you planning to use? (I would use bourbon or rye
> whiskey because they have a spicy aroma already.)
>
> Bob

I always use bourbon when I make my own.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Sunday, 09(IX)/21(XXI)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Veteran's Day
7wks 1dys 6hrs 44mins
My cat walks all over me! :* :* :* :*

Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >,
Ozark Baby > wrote:

> I am wondering if plastic can be used? What are your thoughts?

I don't like stuff like that in plastic bottles.
Why do you want to consider plastic?
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller,
Posted to rec.food.preserving

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Sun 21 Sep 2008 03:25:04p, zxcvbob told us...
>
>> What spirits are you planning to use? (I would use bourbon or rye
>> whiskey because they have a spicy aroma already.)
>>
>> Bob
>>

> I always use bourbon when I make my own.

That's what I always thought would be best, but I've acquired a taste
for J.B. rye whiskey. I think it would make a really nice vanilla
extract. (OTOH, George might be right and it would be a waste of good
whiskey.)

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Sun 21 Sep 2008 09:15:02p, zxcvbob told us...

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> On Sun 21 Sep 2008 03:25:04p, zxcvbob told us...
>>
>>> What spirits are you planning to use? (I would use bourbon or rye
>>> whiskey because they have a spicy aroma already.)
>>>
>>> Bob
>>>

>> I always use bourbon when I make my own.
>>

> That's what I always thought would be best, but I've acquired a taste
> for J.B. rye whiskey. I think it would make a really nice vanilla
> extract. (OTOH, George might be right and it would be a waste of good
> whiskey.)

If you're going to drink it, then it might make a big difference in the
taste. In baking, however, I think the distinctiveness of rye would
usually be lost.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Sunday, 09(IX)/21(XXI)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Veteran's Day
7wks 1dys 16mins
Tongue-tied and twisted, just an
earthbound misfit, I.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

zxcvbob wrote:
> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> On Sun 21 Sep 2008 03:25:04p, zxcvbob told us...
>>
>>> What spirits are you planning to use? (I would use bourbon or rye
>>> whiskey because they have a spicy aroma already.)
>>>
>>> Bob
>>>

>> I always use bourbon when I make my own.
>>

> That's what I always thought would be best, but I've acquired a taste
> for J.B. rye whiskey. I think it would make a really nice vanilla
> extract. (OTOH, George might be right and it would be a waste of good
> whiskey.)

I haven't had a drink in more than thirty years but when I did have a
tipple or two I drank George Dickel 25-year old sipping whiskey with a
splash of branch water in it. I've always felt that people who drank gin
or scotch had to be drunks, mainly because both of those have a nasty
taste to me. Rye in moderation is okay, blended whiskeys are best sent
to Canada, straight bourbon is okay in a pinch. I would even drink a few
drinks of Jack Black if Dickel wasn't available.

I can honestly say I don't miss alcoholic beverages, never was much of a
drinker but after nearly dying from Hepatitis A I had to give it up,
hurt to much to drink it. Don't miss smoking either and I smoked from
age 15 to age 55 before I gave that up. I'll not mention other
age-related things I've had to give up. <VBG>
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Sun, 21 Sep 2008 20:27:41 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>In article >,
> Ozark Baby > wrote:
>
>> I am wondering if plastic can be used? What are your thoughts?

>I don't like stuff like that in plastic bottles.
>Why do you want to consider plastic?

It had to do with cost only and shipping costs on top of the cost of
the bottles themselves.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Mon, 22 Sep 2008 00:17:00 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>On Sun 21 Sep 2008 03:25:04p, zxcvbob told us...
>
>> Ozark Baby wrote:

>>> I am wondering if plastic can be used? What are your thoughts?

>> The extract will last a lot longer in glass (especially brown glass) and
>> you don't have to worry about the alcohol slowly leaching chemicals from
>> the plastic.
>>
>> BTW, I read an article in Cooks magazine a few years ago, and their
>> homemade vanilla was more expensive than commercial vanilla and not as
>> good -- even though they used good beans. Of course yours will be
>> different ;-)
>>
>> What spirits are you planning to use? (I would use bourbon or rye
>> whiskey because they have a spicy aroma already.)
>>
>> Bob
>>

>I always use bourbon when I make my own.

You think bourbon is better than vodka to use? Does the taste of
borbon stay with it ot does the vanilla take over completely? This is
not for drinking at all, just for cooking in the end, plus gifts for
the same.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

Ozark Baby wrote:
> You think bourbon is better than vodka to use? Does the taste of
> borbon stay with it ot does the vanilla take over completely? This is
> not for drinking at all, just for cooking in the end, plus gifts for
> the same.

I use 95% grain alcohol because it is the cheapest possible booze here.
It's even cheaper than vodka, rotgut brandy, and most wine.

It produces good vanilla, but it has a "harsh" taste. To give it away,
I mix it with brandy and water.

Geoff.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Ozark Baby wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Sep 2008 00:17:00 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> > wrote:

>>> The extract will last a lot longer in glass (especially brown glass) and
>>> you don't have to worry about the alcohol slowly leaching chemicals from
>>> the plastic.
>>>
>>> BTW, I read an article in Cooks magazine a few years ago, and their
>>> homemade vanilla was more expensive than commercial vanilla and not as
>>> good -- even though they used good beans. Of course yours will be
>>> different ;-)
>>>
>>> What spirits are you planning to use? (I would use bourbon or rye
>>> whiskey because they have a spicy aroma already.)
>>>
>>> Bob
>>>

>> I always use bourbon when I make my own.

> You think bourbon is better than vodka to use? Does the taste of
> borbon stay with it ot does the vanilla take over completely? This is
> not for drinking at all, just for cooking in the end, plus gifts for
> the same.

The vanilla will take over, but IMHO a good whiskey already has some
vanilla notes to it that will add a little complexity to the extract.
Gin in the other hand... ;-)

(of course it is for cooking. Vanilla extract tastes *nasty*)

Bob
Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >,
Ozark Baby > wrote:

> On Mon, 22 Sep 2008 00:17:00 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> > wrote:

> >> The extract will last a lot longer in glass (especially brown glass) and
> >> you don't have to worry about the alcohol slowly leaching chemicals from
> >> the plastic.
> >>
> >> BTW, I read an article in Cooks magazine a few years ago, and their
> >> homemade vanilla was more expensive than commercial vanilla and not as
> >> good -- even though they used good beans. Of course yours will be
> >> different ;-)
> >>
> >> What spirits are you planning to use? (I would use bourbon or rye
> >> whiskey because they have a spicy aroma already.)
> >>
> >> Bob
> >>

> >I always use bourbon when I make my own.

> You think bourbon is better than vodka to use? Does the taste of
> borbon stay with it ot does the vanilla take over completely? This is
> not for drinking at all, just for cooking in the end, plus gifts for
> the same.

AFAIC, all you need is alcohol (or some liquid, booze seems most common)
as a carrier for the vanilla essence. I don't know many recipes that
ask for more than about a teaspoon or two of vanilla extract. I don't
concern myself with any lingering cheap brandy flavor that might remain
in my dish after I've baked it. And if it's in an icing, a little
brandy never hurt anything.

You're making this way too complicated. You fishing?

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller, and here's the link to my appearance
Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >,
Ozark Baby > wrote:

> On Sun, 21 Sep 2008 20:27:41 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> > wrote:
>
> >In article >,
> > Ozark Baby > wrote:
> >
> >> I am wondering if plastic can be used? What are your thoughts?

> >I don't like stuff like that in plastic bottles.
> >Why do you want to consider plastic?

> It had to do with cost only and shipping costs on top of the cost of
> the bottles themselves.

You said you wanted something like 6-8 bottles? Don't worry about it.
And if you're going to the trouble of making it for a nice gift, don't
skimp on the packaging. Packaging is what it's about, believe me! Why
do you think gift baskets are so expensive? It's not because of the
contents.

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller, and here's the link to my appearance
on "A Prairie Home Companion," <http://prairiehome.publicradio.org/
programs/2008/08/30/>
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Mon, 22 Sep 2008 10:49:00 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>In article >,
> Ozark Baby > wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 22 Sep 2008 00:17:00 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
>> > wrote:
>>
>> >On Sun 21 Sep 2008 03:25:04p, zxcvbob told us...

>> >I always use bourbon when I make my own.

>> You think bourbon is better than vodka to use? Does the taste of
>> borbon stay with it ot does the vanilla take over completely? This is
>> not for drinking at all, just for cooking in the end, plus gifts for
>> the same.

>AFAIC, all you need is alcohol (or some liquid, booze seems most common)
>as a carrier for the vanilla essence. I don't know many recipes that
>ask for more than about a teaspoon or two of vanilla extract. I don't
>concern myself with any lingering cheap brandy flavor that might remain
>in my dish after I've baked it. And if it's in an icing, a little
>brandy never hurt anything.
>
>You're making this way too complicated. You fishing?

Fishing for what?
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Mon, 22 Sep 2008 10:51:57 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>In article >,
> Ozark Baby > wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 21 Sep 2008 20:27:41 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
>> > wrote:

>> >I don't like stuff like that in plastic bottles.
>> >Why do you want to consider plastic?

>> It had to do with cost only and shipping costs on top of the cost of
>> the bottles themselves.

>You said you wanted something like 6-8 bottles? Don't worry about it.
>And if you're going to the trouble of making it for a nice gift, don't
>skimp on the packaging. Packaging is what it's about, believe me! Why
>do you think gift baskets are so expensive? It's not because of the
>contents.

You do have a point there and thank you for your help.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Mon 22 Sep 2008 06:16:50a, Ozark Baby told us...

> On Mon, 22 Sep 2008 00:17:00 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> > wrote:

if

can

>>> The extract will last a lot longer in glass (especially brown glass)

and
>>> you don't have to worry about the alcohol slowly leaching chemicals

from
>>> the plastic.
>>>
>>> BTW, I read an article in Cooks magazine a few years ago, and their
>>> homemade vanilla was more expensive than commercial vanilla and not as
>>> good -- even though they used good beans. Of course yours will be
>>> different ;-)
>>>
>>> What spirits are you planning to use? (I would use bourbon or rye
>>> whiskey because they have a spicy aroma already.)
>>>
>>> Bob
>>>

>>I always use bourbon when I make my own.

> You think bourbon is better than vodka to use? Does the taste of
> borbon stay with it ot does the vanilla take over completely? This is
> not for drinking at all, just for cooking in the end, plus gifts for
> the same.

The bourbon flavor is not at all pronounced, but I think it makes for an
overall smoother vanilla flavor.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Monday, 09(IX)/22(XXII)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Veteran's Day
7wks 10hrs 20mins
Being weird isn't enough.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

>>> Thank you for your reply. Yes, I was thinking about 5-8 oz sizes, as
>>> these will be presents for Christmas.

>> Well you do realize that once we open those bottles of vanilla they
>> sit in the cupboard sometimes for years and are just fine. My bottle
>> source is Mountain Rose Herbs
>> http://www.mountainroseherbs.com/sup...s_bottles.html

> Specialty Bottle (http://www.specialtybottle.com/) is another fine source
> for containers. I've been very happy with my orders from them. I use
> their tins for dry herbs and spices and have some eye-dropper bottles for
> citrus oils and the like. They have very competitive pricing too (always
> a bonus).

I get my 5 oz woozy (hot sauce bottles) from there. I am close to Seattle
so shipping is not much for me.
Its cheaper to pay for shipping . approximately 15$ for 10 dozen bottles
than to pay for the ferry and gas to pick it up.

Freund Container.com is another place I have ordered from whatever is
closer to you will probably be the best buy. The shipping charges increase
the further away you are.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
5.250...
> On Mon 22 Sep 2008 06:16:50a, Ozark Baby told us...
>
>> On Mon, 22 Sep 2008 00:17:00 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
>> > wrote:
>>
>>>On Sun 21 Sep 2008 03:25:04p, zxcvbob told us...

> if

> can

> and

> from

>>>I always use bourbon when I make my own.

>> You think bourbon is better than vodka to use? Does the taste of
>> borbon stay with it ot does the vanilla take over completely? This is
>> not for drinking at all, just for cooking in the end, plus gifts for
>> the same.
>>

> The bourbon flavor is not at all pronounced, but I think it makes for an
> overall smoother vanilla flavor.
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright

> Date: Monday, 09(IX)/22(XXII)/08(MMVIII)
> Countdown till Veteran's Day
> 7wks 10hrs 20mins
> Being weird isn't enough.

How about using Captain Morgan's?

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"Ozark Baby" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 21 Sep 2008 20:27:41 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> > wrote:
>
>>In article >,
>> Ozark Baby > wrote:
>>
>>> I am wondering if plastic can be used? What are your thoughts?

>>I don't like stuff like that in plastic bottles.
>>Why do you want to consider plastic?

> It had to do with cost only and shipping costs on top of the cost of
> the bottles themselves.

The few times I have looked into plastic bottles they cost substantially
more than glass bottles. Although I will admit I didn't factor in the
shipping costs. My glass bottles go in the dishwasher to sanitize them
and then I hand pour a Boiling mix into them . I dont like the idea of
using plastic for my application

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Mon 22 Sep 2008 09:12:15p, Mike told us...

@charter.net>

What

>> if

seen

>> can

sizes,

they

lids)

>> and

>> from

as

>>> You think bourbon is better than vodka to use? Does the taste of
>>> borbon stay with it ot does the vanilla take over completely? This is
>>> not for drinking at all, just for cooking in the end, plus gifts for
>>> the same.
>>>

>> The bourbon flavor is not at all pronounced, but I think it makes for an
>> overall smoother vanilla flavor.

> How about using Captain Morgan's?

If you like it. I don't.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Monday, 09(IX)/22(XXII)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Veteran's Day
7wks 2hrs 7mins
Cat Toy (n): Any object on the ground.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Mon, 22 Sep 2008 21:20:55 -0700, "Mike"
> wrote:

>"Ozark Baby" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Sun, 21 Sep 2008 20:27:41 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
>> > wrote:

>>>I don't like stuff like that in plastic bottles.
>>>Why do you want to consider plastic?

>> It had to do with cost only and shipping costs on top of the cost of
>> the bottles themselves.

>The few times I have looked into plastic bottles they cost substantially
>more than glass bottles. Although I will admit I didn't factor in the
>shipping costs. My glass bottles go in the dishwasher to sanitize them
>and then I hand pour a Boiling mix into them . I dont like the idea of
>using plastic for my application

I am going to go with glass bottle. They are nicer and the vanilla
would keep longer I think. Thanks for your help.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
.250...
> On Mon 22 Sep 2008 09:12:15p, Mike told us...

(clipped a bit)

>>> The bourbon flavor is not at all pronounced, but I think it makes for an
>>> overall smoother vanilla flavor.

>> How about using Captain Morgan's?

> If you like it. I don't.

> Wayne Boatwright

I don't either - and I believe I would try and remember the point of this -
*vanilla* extract. Morgan's has a lot of other flavors that might overwhelm.
Edrena

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Tue 23 Sep 2008 09:25:23a, The Joneses told us...

> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> .250...
>> On Mon 22 Sep 2008 09:12:15p, Mike told us...
>>

> (clipped a bit)

>>> How about using Captain Morgan's?

>> If you like it. I don't.

>> Wayne Boatwright

> I don't either - and I believe I would try and remember the point of
> this - *vanilla* extract. Morgan's has a lot of other flavors that might
> overwhelm. Edrena

Exactly so.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Tuesday, 09(IX)/23(XXIII)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Veteran's Day
6wks 6dys 3hrs 42mins
Truck Pulls: for people who cannot
understand the WWF
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Sep 21, 11:22*am, zipporah > wrote:
> cooksalot wrote:
> > On Sep 20, 6:15 pm, Ozark Baby > wrote:

> >> Thank you for your reply. Yes, I was thinking about 5-8 oz sizes, as
> >> these will be presents for Christmas.

> > Well you do realize that once we open those bottles of vanilla they
> > sit in the cupboard sometimes for years and are just fine. *My bottle
> > source is Mountain Rose Herbshttp://www.mountainroseherbs.com/supply/glass_bottles.html

> Specialty Bottle (http://www.specialtybottle.com/) is another fine
> source for containers. *I've been very happy with my orders from them.
> I use their tins for dry herbs and spices and have some eye-dropper
> bottles for citrus oils and the like. *They have very competitive
> pricing too (always a bonus).- Hide quoted text -

Thanks for the link- very cool!
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 10:34:16 -0700 (PDT), Merryb >
wrote:

>On Sep 21, 11:22*am, zipporah > wrote:
>> cooksalot wrote:

>> > Well you do realize that once we open those bottles of vanilla they
>> > sit in the cupboard sometimes for years and are just fine. *My bottle
>> > source is Mountain Rose Herbshttp://www.mountainroseherbs.com/supply/glass_bottles.html

>> Specialty Bottle (http://www.specialtybottle.com/) is another fine
>> source for containers. *I've been very happy with my orders from them.
>> I use their tins for dry herbs and spices and have some eye-dropper
>> bottles for citrus oils and the like. *They have very competitive
>> pricing too (always a bonus).- Hide quoted text -

>Thanks for the link- very cool!

I was lucky and found a place that is not to far from me physically,
meaning I can order the 4-oz bottles and go and pick them up, thereby
saving the high shipping fees.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

zxcvbob wrote:
> Ozark Baby wrote:
>> We are planning on making our own homemade vanilla extract. What I
>> want to do is to be able to give some as gifts. What size bottle would
>> anyone recommend for gifts? The other question is if I would need to
>> seal, like with canning, such jars of extract once it is made, after 6
>> months, or what? Would this homemade extract be ok just sitting on
>> shelves or should it be refrigerated or what? Any suggestions would be
>> appreciated.
>>

> Are you gonna get 5 ounce glass bottles for it? (I've never seen little
> brown bottles for sale, but that would be the way to go if you can find
> them.) I don't know how you intend to make your extract, I'll assume by
> steeping chopped vanilla beans in bourbon or rye or vodka, but i think
> you just need to screw the lids down tight.
>
> Bob

I bet you could buy empty brown bottles at a pharmacy that
compounds liquid medications.

Anything steeped in a high-proof alcohol shouldn't need special
storage.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >,
Ozark Baby > wrote:

> I was lucky and found a place that is not to far from me physically,
> meaning I can order the 4-oz bottles and go and pick them up, thereby
> saving the high shipping fees.

Excellent! Good luck with the project.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller,
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 23:28:37 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>In article >,
> Ozark Baby > wrote:
>
>> I was lucky and found a place that is not to far from me physically,
>> meaning I can order the 4-oz bottles and go and pick them up, thereby
>> saving the high shipping fees.

>Excellent! Good luck with the project.

Thanks so much. I think it will be fun! ;-)