Old 21-09-2008, 12:20 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Homemade Vanilla Extract

We are planning on making our own homemade vanilla extract. What I
want to do is to be able to give some as gifts. What size bottle would
anyone recommend for gifts? The other question is if I would need to
seal, like with canning, such jars of extract once it is made, after 6
months, or what? Would this homemade extract be ok just sitting on
shelves or should it be refrigerated or what? Any suggestions would be
appreciated.

Old 21-09-2008, 12:27 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Ozark Baby wrote in
:

We are planning on making our own homemade vanilla extract. What I
want to do is to be able to give some as gifts. What size bottle would
anyone recommend for gifts? The other question is if I would need to
seal, like with canning, such jars of extract once it is made, after 6
months, or what? Would this homemade extract be ok just sitting on
shelves or should it be refrigerated or what? Any suggestions would be
appreciated.

http://www.virtualrecipes.com.au/recipe~num~1884.asp

http://www.cooks.com/rec/search/0,1-...xtract,FF.html

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load...848173366.html

I've got a 40oz bottle of (vodka) extract brewing at the moment......
it's been in there for quite a bit, and I'll be leaving it till
Christmas time.

After it's brewed, I'm just going to put it in bottles with either screw
caps, or corks, and give away as presents.

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

If we are not meant to eat animals,
why are they made of meat?
Old 21-09-2008, 12:35 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
Ozark Baby wrote:

We are planning on making our own homemade vanilla extract. What I
want to do is to be able to give some as gifts. What size bottle would
anyone recommend for gifts? The other question is if I would need to
seal, like with canning, such jars of extract once it is made, after 6
months, or what? Would this homemade extract be ok just sitting on
shelves or should it be refrigerated or what? Any suggestions would be
appreciated.

Mine's been sitting on the counter for at least a year. I've got a
couple vanilla beans soaking in some cheap brandy and I replenish the
brandy when the volume gets low. I don't use it very often so it has
time to rejuvenate. I have no idea if or when I'll know that the
vanilla beans have lost their vanilla selves. I'd recommend a nice 8-10
ounce bottle, myself. Try some fancy schmancy kitchen shops or some low
class dollar stores for the bottles. If they don't come with corks, buy
some.

-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller
Old 21-09-2008, 01:14 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 18:35:29 -0500, Melba's Jammin'

Ozark Baby wrote:

[...]

Thank you for your kind reply. I will do as you suggested. Good idea
btw.

Old 21-09-2008, 01:14 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 23:27:42 +0000 (UTC), PeterLucas
wrote:

Ozark Baby wrote in
:

[...]

Hey, thanks so much for the links.

Old 21-09-2008, 01:20 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Would any of you know how to make the "clear" type of vanilla extract?
Is it possible for us to make it homemade?
Old 21-09-2008, 01:29 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
Ozark Baby wrote:

Would any of you know how to make the "clear" type of vanilla extract?
Is it possible for us to make it homemade?

Not if you're going to use a brown vanilla bean or two.

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller, and here's the link to my appearance
Old 21-09-2008, 01:48 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
In article ,
Ozark Baby wrote:

Would any of you know how to make the "clear" type of vanilla extract?
Is it possible for us to make it homemade?

Not if you're going to use a brown vanilla bean or two.

I don't know why not. Some of the best vanilla I have has has been
clear. It came from the Dominican Republic. I have some clear vanilla
from Mexico, but it is not so good.
Old 21-09-2008, 02:16 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Ozark Baby wrote in
:

On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 23:27:42 +0000 (UTC), PeterLucas
wrote:

Ozark Baby wrote in
m:

[...]

No sweat. It reminded me to go check my own brew in the pantry :-)

Old 21-09-2008, 04:33 AM posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.ozdebate

PeterLucas wrote:

Ozark Baby wrote in
:

[...]

You *honestly* think we believe such a half - arsed fairy tale...???

Another one of yer "silly wabbit" stories, I'd aver...

Don't you know nothing, as they say...???

:-D

--
Best
Greg

" I find Greg Morrow lowbrow, witless, and obnoxious. For him to claim that
we are some
kind of comedy team turns my stomach."
- "cybercat" to me on rec.food.cooking

Old 21-09-2008, 05:59 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ozark Baby" wrote in message
We are planning on making our own homemade vanilla extract. What I
want to do is to be able to give some as gifts. What size bottle would
anyone recommend for gifts? The other question is if I would need to
seal, like with canning, such jars of extract once it is made, after 6
months, or what? Would this homemade extract be ok just sitting on
shelves or should it be refrigerated or what? Any suggestions would be
appreciated.

I'm assuming you're making it with alcohol, yes? So that would be fine on
the shelf. My mom used to make it years back and I remember thinking that
someone should make a perfume that smelled like vanilla...little did I know
years later there would be perfume, bath soaps, lotions....heheh

How much are you making? If you use a 750ml bottle of alcohol (which is
about 25 1/2 ounces), you can then use roughly six 4 ounce bottles for
bottling. Apothecary bottles with screw tops would work fine, and you don't
need to process it.

kimberly
--
http://eating-sandiego.blogspot.com/

Old 21-09-2008, 06:06 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" wrote in message
Melba's Jammin' wrote:
In article ,
Ozark Baby wrote:

Would any of you know how to make the "clear" type of vanilla extract?
Is it possible for us to make it homemade?

Not if you're going to use a brown vanilla bean or two.

I don't know why not. Some of the best vanilla I have has has been clear.
It came from the Dominican Republic. I have some clear vanilla from
Mexico, but it is not so good.

What you had is likely *not* vanilla, but a glycerine or propylene glycol
base with vanillin, a by-product of the wood industry. That isn't vanilla
extract.

kimberly
--
http://eating-sandiego.blogspot.com/

Old 21-09-2008, 06:24 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nexis" wrote in :

"Dave Smith" wrote in message
Melba's Jammin' wrote:
In article ,
Ozark Baby wrote:

Would any of you know how to make the "clear" type of vanilla
extract? Is it possible for us to make it homemade?

Not if you're going to use a brown vanilla bean or two.

I don't know why not. Some of the best vanilla I have has has been
clear. It came from the Dominican Republic. I have some clear
vanilla from Mexico, but it is not so good.

What you had is likely *not* vanilla, but a glycerine or propylene
glycol base with vanillin, a by-product of the wood industry. That
isn't vanilla extract.

I was wondering how they made a black extract clear :-)

Old 21-09-2008, 12:49 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 21:59:16 -0700, "Nexis" wrote:

"Ozark Baby" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Yes, I plan on using vodka to make it in and I plan on buying a fifth,
however much that is. LOLOL Thanks so much for your help.
Old 21-09-2008, 12:50 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 19:29:05 -0500, Melba's Jammin'

Ozark Baby wrote:

Would any of you know how to make the "clear" type of vanilla extract?
Is it possible for us to make it homemade?

Not if you're going to use a brown vanilla bean or two.

That is what I was afraid of. Thanks.