Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Can I freeze tomatoes until I have enough to can a batch?

I have some early tomatoes that either need to be eaten or put up, but it's
not really enough to run a canning batch. I've also got tons of green ones
still on the plants. I'd like to save the early ones until the green ones
are ripe too. How about freezing the ripe ones until the others are ripe?
I know it would make them mushy when thawed, but they get all mushy when we
can them anyway. If freezing is OK, would you recommend freezing them whole
or peeling & chopping them first?

Ya'll's thoughts?

Robert in the hills of Tennessee

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Robert Lewis wrote:
> I have some early tomatoes that either need to be eaten or put up, but it's
> not really enough to run a canning batch. I've also got tons of green ones
> still on the plants. I'd like to save the early ones until the green ones
> are ripe too. How about freezing the ripe ones until the others are ripe?
> I know it would make them mushy when thawed, but they get all mushy when we
> can them anyway. If freezing is OK, would you recommend freezing them whole
> or peeling & chopping them first?
>
> Ya'll's thoughts?
>
> Robert in the hills of Tennessee

Freeze them whole and the skins will slip off easily when they are
thawed. They are more versatile that way but you're right--they just
end up mushy anyway.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article > ,
"Robert Lewis" > wrote:

> I have some early tomatoes that either need to be eaten or put up, but it's
> not really enough to run a canning batch. I've also got tons of green ones
> still on the plants. I'd like to save the early ones until the green ones
> are ripe too. How about freezing the ripe ones until the others are ripe?
> I know it would make them mushy when thawed, but they get all mushy when we
> can them anyway. If freezing is OK, would you recommend freezing them whole
> or peeling & chopping them first?
>
> Ya'll's thoughts?
>
> Robert in the hills of Tennessee

I wouldn't freeze them and then can them. You may want to freeze them
and leave them frozen. How about simply canning smaller batches?
Quarts? Put up and process three quarts instead of seven.

By the way, refrigerating tomatoes doesn't do anything for their flavor.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller , blahblahblog is back and
Posted to rec.food.preserving

yes, I gather tomatoes as they ripen, put them into zip-lock bagsin flat
packages, and use the tomatoes when they needed or I have enough for my
purposes. Furthermore they thaw almost as if they had been cooked.I zap
them in a blender for about a minute, run them through an applesauce
mill, and after this there are no seed or skin. Can be done very quickly
this way.