Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Cauliflower

I like sweet pickled cauliflower and when you buy sweet pickles you only get
a couple of pieces.

Anyone have a recipe that doesn't include mustard seed?

--
mompeagram
FERGUS/HARLINGEN

Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >,
"news.albasani.net" > wrote:

> I like sweet pickled cauliflower and when you buy sweet pickles you only get
> a couple of pieces.
>
> Anyone have a recipe that doesn't include mustard seed?

Helen, I'll bet you could use a B&B pickle recipe like the one below and
just leave out the mustard seed. If the issue with the seeds is that
they're ‹ seeds ‹ and verboten because of diverticulitis or something,
put the mixture in a spice bag while you boil the syrup/brine and remove
it. Just some thoughts.

Bread & Butter Pickles
Barb Schaller, posted to r.f.preserving again 7-12-2008

€ 4 quarts sliced medium cukes (about 25)
€ 3 cups sliced onions (about 4 medium)
€ 2 green peppers chopped (or 1 red
€ and 1 green)
€ 3 cloves garlic sliced
€ 1/3 cup canning salt
€ 5 cups sugar
€ 3 cups cider vinegar
€ 1 1/2 teaspoons turmeric
€ 1 1/2 teaspoons celery seed
€ 2 tablespoons mustard seed
Combine cukes, onions, (cauliflower), pepper, and garlic. Add salt;
cover with cracked ice; mix thoroughly. Let stand three hours, drain
well. Combine remaining ingredients, pour over cuke mixture. Heat just
to a boil. Seal in hot, sterilized jars. Yield: 7-8 pints.

Source: My sister Anne adds 1 cup of cauliflowerettes to the vegetable
program.

Notes: Blue Ribbon Winner at the Minnesota State Fair in 1983, 1984,
2001, 2003, 2004, 2005. Best of the Pickles in 2001 -- Gedney prize.

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
rec.food.cooking
Posted to rec.food.preserving

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "news.albasani.net" > wrote:
>
>> I like sweet pickled cauliflower and when you buy sweet pickles you only
>> get
>> a couple of pieces.
>>
>> Anyone have a recipe that doesn't include mustard seed?

> Helen, I'll bet you could use a B&B pickle recipe like the one below and
> just leave out the mustard seed. If the issue with the seeds is that
> they're < seeds < and verboten because of diverticulitis or something,
> put the mixture in a spice bag while you boil the syrup/brine and remove
> it. Just some thoughts.
>

> Bread & Butter Pickles
> Barb Schaller, posted to r.f.preserving again 7-12-2008
>
> ? 4 quarts sliced medium cukes (about 25)
> ? 3 cups sliced onions (about 4 medium)
> ? 2 green peppers chopped (or 1 red
> ? and 1 green)
> ? 3 cloves garlic sliced
> ? 1/3 cup canning salt
> ? 5 cups sugar
> ? 3 cups cider vinegar
> ? 1 1/2 teaspoons turmeric
> ? 1 1/2 teaspoons celery seed
> ? 2 tablespoons mustard seed
> Combine cukes, onions, (cauliflower), pepper, and garlic. Add salt;
> cover with cracked ice; mix thoroughly. Let stand three hours, drain
> well. Combine remaining ingredients, pour over cuke mixture. Heat just
> to a boil. Seal in hot, sterilized jars. Yield: 7-8 pints.
>
> Source: My sister Anne adds 1 cup of cauliflowerettes to the vegetable
> program.
>
> Notes: Blue Ribbon Winner at the Minnesota State Fair in 1983, 1984,
> 2001, 2003, 2004, 2005. Best of the Pickles in 2001 -- Gedney prize.
>
> --
> -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
> rec.food.cooking
> Preserved Fruit Administrator
> "Always in a jam. Never in a stew." - Evergene

Thanks but it has just what I don't like in a sweet pickle. turmeric,
celery seed, mustard seed.

I want a plain sweet pickle. I have a recipe from my mom, but it is a 4
day pickle and I'm sure there is a more modern version out there. I do not
like mustardy pickles.

--
mompeagram
FERGUS/HARLINGEN

Posted to rec.food.preserving

news.albasani.net wrote:
> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message

>> Helen, I'll bet you could use a B&B pickle recipe like the one below and
>> just leave out the mustard seed. If the issue with the seeds is that
>> they're < seeds < and verboten because of diverticulitis or something,
>> put the mixture in a spice bag while you boil the syrup/brine and remove
>> it. Just some thoughts.

[...]

> Thanks but it has just what I don't like in a sweet pickle. turmeric,
> celery seed, mustard seed.

Then leave out the turmeric, celery seed, and mustard seed and just make
a plain mostly sweet-sour pickling syrup.

B/
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Jul 11, 8:29 pm, "news.albasani.net" > wrote:
> I like sweet pickled cauliflower and when you buy sweet pickles you only get
> a couple of pieces.
>
> Anyone have a recipe that doesn't include mustard seed?
>
> --
> mompeagram
> FERGUS/HARLINGEN

I thought you were looking to just pickle cauliflour, and the replies
are talking about pickling cukes.

I have an improvised, lazy man's method to make just a few. When I
am done with the contents of a large glass jar of pickles, either dill
or sweet - I prefer the dill - I save the jar and the liquid.

Cut up couliflour and broccoli - just the tender flowerette tips (save
the rest for soup). Dump them in the pickle brine in the original
jar, and fridge it for a few days. Of course you have to taste a
couple each day, and when they are ready they will be mostly gone!

I find I can use the same brine about three times. For repeats, I add
some vinegar (wine, balsamic, whatever) , and a green herb -- dill,
terragon, cilantro, but not all together.

Oh, one time I dumped in the few olivs left in another small jar and
most of its juice, reserving some for those dirt martinis.

Hey, I cook, but I'm not manic about it.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Cauliflower (Long 2 rec)

"news.albasani.net" > wrote in message

> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
>> In article >,
>> "news.albasani.net" > wrote:
>>
>>> I like sweet pickled cauliflower and when you buy sweet pickles you only
>>> get
>>> a couple of pieces.
>>>
>>> Anyone have a recipe that doesn't include mustard seed?

>> Helen, I'll bet you could use a B&B pickle recipe like the one below and
>> just leave out the mustard seed. If the issue with the seeds is that
>> they're < seeds < and verboten because of diverticulitis or something,
>> put the mixture in a spice bag while you boil the syrup/brine and remove
>> it. Just some thoughts.
>>

>> Bread & Butter Pickles
>> Barb Schaller, posted to r.f.preserving again 7-12-2008
>>
>> ? 4 quarts sliced medium cukes (about 25)
>> ? 3 cups sliced onions (about 4 medium)
>> ? 2 green peppers chopped (or 1 red
>> ? and 1 green)
>> ? 3 cloves garlic sliced
>> ? 1/3 cup canning salt
>> ? 5 cups sugar
>> ? 3 cups cider vinegar
>> ? 1 1/2 teaspoons turmeric
>> ? 1 1/2 teaspoons celery seed
>> ? 2 tablespoons mustard seed
>> Combine cukes, onions, (cauliflower), pepper, and garlic. Add salt;
>> cover with cracked ice; mix thoroughly. Let stand three hours, drain
>> well. Combine remaining ingredients, pour over cuke mixture. Heat just
>> to a boil. Seal in hot, sterilized jars. Yield: 7-8 pints.
>>
>> Source: My sister Anne adds 1 cup of cauliflowerettes to the vegetable
>> program.
>>
>> Notes: Blue Ribbon Winner at the Minnesota State Fair in 1983, 1984,
>> 2001, 2003, 2004, 2005. Best of the Pickles in 2001 -- Gedney prize.
>>
>> --
>> -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
>> rec.food.cooking
>> Preserved Fruit Administrator
>> "Always in a jam. Never in a stew." - Evergene

> Thanks but it has just what I don't like in a sweet pickle. turmeric,
> celery seed, mustard seed.
>
> I want a plain sweet pickle. I have a recipe from my mom, but it is a 4
> day pickle and I'm sure there is a more modern version out there. I do
> not like mustardy pickles.
>
> --
> mompeagram
> FERGUS/HARLINGEN

Small Batch Preseving has a great "Winter Pickle" with 8 cups of veggies,
one can sub out and about. And iirc, it doesn't use those spices. I posted
this
quite awhile ago (Mar 3, 2005):

From _The Complete Book of Year-Round Small-Batch
Preserving_,
by E. Topp & M.Howard, Firefly Books, c. 2001
Winter Salad Pickle
2 cups cauliflower florets [about 1/2 a cauliflower]
1 cup peeled pearl onions, or larger onions, quartered
1 cup thickly sliced celery
1 cup sliced carrot
1 cup thickly sliced zucchini [!!]
1 cup yellow beans, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
2 medium sweet red peppers, cut into squares
3 cups white wine vinegar or Herb Vinegar
1.5 cups granulated sugar
1 1/3 cups water
2 teaspoons pickling salt
1/8 teaspoon paprika
1. Combine cauliflower, onions, celery and carrot in a large bowl.
Combine zucchini, beans and peppers in a separate bowl.
2. Combine vinegar, sugar, water, salt and paprika in a large stainless
steel or enamel saucepan. Bring to a full boil over high heat. Add
cauliflower, onions, celery and carrot and return just to a boil.
Remove from heat and stir in zucchini, beans and peppers.
3. Remove hot jars from canner. Remove vegetables from liquid
with a slotted spoon; pack into jars. Pour liquid over vegetables
to within 1/2 inch of rim.
Process 10 minutes for pint jars and 15 minutes for quart jars.
Makes 4 pint jars.
Variation: use any combination of vegetables for a total of 8 cups.

Notes - broccoli and broclirab are not good for this. I thought the
beans a waste of time, but broad beans might be nice if not too tough.
Sugar snap peas got limp. I parboil the carrots 3-5 minutes - using baby
carrots is nice.
I had to add processing time for altitude.
Double the cauliflower! Increase the red pepper! Green pepper will
fade to a nasty color. Use a brightly colored jalepenyo (there are mild
red, orange and yellow now avail) if you like. This stuff sold like
hotcakes at the Farmers' Market.
*To go sugar free: reduce salt by half, delete sugar, use 1+ cups
Splenda, tasting as you go. Do not use Equal.

And here's another Julie Altschuler posted some time ago
(Friday, November 19, 2004 6:12 PM):
Chilled Marinated Cauliflower
Combine in a large saucepan; bring to aboil, reduce heat, cover, and
simmer about 15 minutes until cauliflower is tender:
3/4 cup olive oil
3/4 cup red wine vinegar
1/2 cup water
2 medium sized cloves of crushed garlic
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp whole peppercorns
2 bay leaves
1 medium cauliflower, broken into flowerettes.
Transfer to serving bowl and chill. Just before serving, add and mix:
1/2 minced red onion
1/2 cup freshly minced parsley
2-3 fresh minced basil leaves
1 packed cup coarsely grated carrot.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

" > wrote in message
> On Jul 11, 8:29 pm, "news.albasani.net" > wrote:
>> I like sweet pickled cauliflower and when you buy sweet pickles you only
>> get
>> a couple of pieces.
>>
>> Anyone have a recipe that doesn't include mustard seed?
>>
>> --
>> mompeagram
>> FERGUS/HARLINGEN

> I thought you were looking to just pickle cauliflour, and the replies
> are talking about pickling cukes.
>
> I have an improvised, lazy man's method to make just a few. When I
> am done with the contents of a large glass jar of pickles, either dill
> or sweet - I prefer the dill - I save the jar and the liquid.
>
> Cut up couliflour and broccoli - just the tender flowerette tips (save
> the rest for soup). Dump them in the pickle brine in the original
> jar, and fridge it for a few days. Of course you have to taste a
> couple each day, and when they are ready they will be mostly gone!
>
> I find I can use the same brine about three times. For repeats, I add
> some vinegar (wine, balsamic, whatever) , and a green herb -- dill,
> terragon, cilantro, but not all together.
>
> Oh, one time I dumped in the few olivs left in another small jar and
> most of its juice, reserving some for those dirt martinis.
>
> Hey, I cook, but I'm not manic about it.

I'd thought about that too. thanks

Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >,
Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

> Bread & Butter Pickles
> Barb Schaller, posted to r.f.preserving again 7-12-2008
>
> € 4 quarts sliced medium cukes (about 25)
> € 3 cups sliced onions (about 4 medium)
> € 2 green peppers chopped (or 1 red
> € and 1 green)
> € 3 cloves garlic sliced
> € 1/3 cup canning salt
> € 5 cups sugar
> € 3 cups cider vinegar
> € 1 1/2 teaspoons turmeric
> € 1 1/2 teaspoons celery seed
> € 2 tablespoons mustard seed
> Combine cukes, onions, (cauliflower), pepper, and garlic. Add salt;
> cover with cracked ice; mix thoroughly. Let stand three hours, drain
> well. Combine remaining ingredients, pour over cuke mixture. Heat just
> to a boil. Seal in hot, sterilized jars. Yield: 7-8 pints.
>
> Source: My sister Anne adds 1 cup of cauliflowerettes to the vegetable
> program.
>
> Notes: Blue Ribbon Winner at the Minnesota State Fair in 1983, 1984,
> 2001, 2003, 2004, 2005. Best of the Pickles in 2001 -- Gedney prize.

You did not post this recipe in vain. Thank you so much for posting it.
I love turmeric and, besides, it is really healthy for you too! I put
it in my zucchini pickles and relish as well. I can hardly wait to try
this recipe. We are using row covers on our cukes (and zucchini) this
year (and hand pollinating) to try and avoid the darn cucumber beetles
and other problems. So I'm hoping to finally have some cukes.

Izzy
--
"I will show you fear in a handful of dust"
-T.S. Eliot
Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article
Isabella Woodhouse > wrote:

> In article >,
> Melba's Jammin' > wrote:
>
> > Bread & Butter Pickles
> > Barb Schaller, posted to r.f.preserving again 7-12-2008
> >
> > € 4 quarts sliced medium cukes (about 25)
> > € 3 cups sliced onions (about 4 medium)
> > € 2 green peppers chopped (or 1 red
> > € and 1 green)
> > € 3 cloves garlic sliced
> > € 1/3 cup canning salt
> > € 5 cups sugar
> > € 3 cups cider vinegar
> > € 1 1/2 teaspoons turmeric
> > € 1 1/2 teaspoons celery seed
> > € 2 tablespoons mustard seed
> > Combine cukes, onions, (cauliflower), pepper, and garlic. Add salt;
> > cover with cracked ice; mix thoroughly. Let stand three hours, drain
> > well. Combine remaining ingredients, pour over cuke mixture. Heat just
> > to a boil. Seal in hot, sterilized jars. Yield: 7-8 pints.
> >
> > Source: My sister Anne adds 1 cup of cauliflowerettes to the vegetable
> > program.
> >
> > Notes: Blue Ribbon Winner at the Minnesota State Fair in 1983, 1984,
> > 2001, 2003, 2004, 2005. Best of the Pickles in 2001 -- Gedney prize.

> You did not post this recipe in vain. Thank you so much for posting it.
> I love turmeric and, besides, it is really healthy for you too! I put
> it in my zucchini pickles and relish as well. I can hardly wait to try
> this recipe. We are using row covers on our cukes (and zucchini) this
> year (and hand pollinating) to try and avoid the darn cucumber beetles
> and other problems. So I'm hoping to finally have some cukes.
>
> Izzy

I believe you can use zucchini slices in place of cukes in this recipe,
Isabella. :-) In fact, I think I did it once about 35 years ago.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
rec.food.cooking
Preserved Fruit Administrator
"Always in a jam. Never in a stew." - Evergene
Posted to rec.food.preserving

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> In article
> >,
> Isabella Woodhouse > wrote:
>
>> In article >,
>> Melba's Jammin' > wrote:
>>
>> > Bread & Butter Pickles
>> > Barb Schaller, posted to r.f.preserving again 7-12-2008
>> >
>> > ? 4 quarts sliced medium cukes (about 25)
>> > ? 3 cups sliced onions (about 4 medium)
>> > ? 2 green peppers chopped (or 1 red
>> > ? and 1 green)
>> > ? 3 cloves garlic sliced
>> > ? 1/3 cup canning salt
>> > ? 5 cups sugar
>> > ? 3 cups cider vinegar
>> > ? 1 1/2 teaspoons turmeric
>> > ? 1 1/2 teaspoons celery seed
>> > ? 2 tablespoons mustard seed
>> > Combine cukes, onions, (cauliflower), pepper, and garlic. Add salt;
>> > cover with cracked ice; mix thoroughly. Let stand three hours, drain
>> > well. Combine remaining ingredients, pour over cuke mixture. Heat just
>> > to a boil. Seal in hot, sterilized jars. Yield: 7-8 pints.
>> >
>> > Source: My sister Anne adds 1 cup of cauliflowerettes to the vegetable
>> > program.
>> >
>> > Notes: Blue Ribbon Winner at the Minnesota State Fair in 1983, 1984,
>> > 2001, 2003, 2004, 2005. Best of the Pickles in 2001 -- Gedney prize.

>> You did not post this recipe in vain. Thank you so much for posting it.
>> I love turmeric and, besides, it is really healthy for you too! I put
>> it in my zucchini pickles and relish as well. I can hardly wait to try
>> this recipe. We are using row covers on our cukes (and zucchini) this
>> year (and hand pollinating) to try and avoid the darn cucumber beetles
>> and other problems. So I'm hoping to finally have some cukes.
>>
>> Izzy

> I believe you can use zucchini slices in place of cukes in this recipe,
> Isabella. :-) In fact, I think I did it once about 35 years ago.

oh pleeze...Barb, you didn't do anything but CRAWL 35 years ago....as if!!!

Kathi

> --
> -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
> rec.food.cooking
> Preserved Fruit Administrator
> "Always in a jam. Never in a stew." - Evergene

Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >,
Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

> I believe you can use zucchini slices in place of cukes in this recipe,
> Isabella. :-) In fact, I think I did it once about 35 years ago.

Thank you, Barb. I will most definitely try that since we usually have
plenty of zucchini. Ravens do reasonably well here in MO and, of
course, now I have to do some zucchini jam or marmalade too.

BTW, we had some of the frozen zucchini with some fresh-picked carrots
for dinner tonight. Now that I have it on my mind, we'll hopefully use
it up quickly. The carrots were so good..... Nelsons I believe. The
Kurodas split with all the rain we've been having.

Isabella