Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Putting that lemon juice by again

So far we have ten quart bags of lemon juice cubes in the big freezer. I
think we finally used up all the lemons but one that is still on the
tree. Our citrus trees, lemon and kumquat, out did themselves this
winter. Copious amounts of fruit, really more than we can use.

Of course during this flu and cold season we drink a lot of hot lemonade
plus DW made a delicious lemon coconut pie yesterday, straight from the
old Betty Crocker cookbook. Have to mark that one as a keeper to go
along with her lemon meringue and lemon chess pies.

Balmy weather out with some distance thunderstorms and scattered rain
showers. Up to near 80F today. Soon be time to put in the spring garden.

George
Posted to rec.food.preserving

"George Shirley" > wrote in message
. ..
> So far we have ten quart bags of lemon juice cubes in the big freezer. I
> think we finally used up all the lemons but one that is still on the tree.
> Our citrus trees, lemon and kumquat, out did themselves this winter.
> Copious amounts of fruit, really more than we can use.
>
> Of course during this flu and cold season we drink a lot of hot lemonade
> plus DW made a delicious lemon coconut pie yesterday, straight from the
> old Betty Crocker cookbook. Have to mark that one as a keeper to go along
> with her lemon meringue and lemon chess pies.
>
> Balmy weather out with some distance thunderstorms and scattered rain
> showers. Up to near 80F today. Soon be time to put in the spring garden.
>
> George

lucky you George. Tell me again what kind of lemons you grow? The ones
that are almost as big as your head? Never seen anything like them,
anywhere but in your pics....I'd be drinking lemonade too...

I made a second batch of seville orange marmalade today - that's 12 jars
total. Gosh, it turned out pretty...

Kathi

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Kathi Jones wrote:
> "George Shirley" > wrote in message
> . ..
>> So far we have ten quart bags of lemon juice cubes in the big freezer. I
>> think we finally used up all the lemons but one that is still on the tree.
>> Our citrus trees, lemon and kumquat, out did themselves this winter.
>> Copious amounts of fruit, really more than we can use.
>>
>> Of course during this flu and cold season we drink a lot of hot lemonade
>> plus DW made a delicious lemon coconut pie yesterday, straight from the
>> old Betty Crocker cookbook. Have to mark that one as a keeper to go along
>> with her lemon meringue and lemon chess pies.
>>
>> Balmy weather out with some distance thunderstorms and scattered rain
>> showers. Up to near 80F today. Soon be time to put in the spring garden.
>>
>> George

> lucky you George. Tell me again what kind of lemons you grow? The ones
> that are almost as big as your head? Never seen anything like them,
> anywhere but in your pics....I'd be drinking lemonade too...
>
> I made a second batch of seville orange marmalade today - that's 12 jars
> total. Gosh, it turned out pretty...
>
> Kathi

They're Ponderosa lemons, from what I've learned they're a natural sport
between a lemon and a grapefruit. Certainly taste like lemons. The
rind/peel is very thick and they have lots of seeds but one 3 lb lemon
will produce a lot of juice. The tree was given to me by my eldest
grandkids when they were wee folk, now they range from 21 to 27. The
tree has been frozen back to the ground at least twice.

The Ponderosa grows true from the seed and/or a cutting. I've given away
probably a hundred of them and have sold another hundred at the Farmers
Market for a buck a piece in a 3 inch pot. Our tree is on the south side
of our garage, on a slope, in sandy loam with cypress bark on the
surface to retain water and stop erosion. Our prevailing wind is from
the SE most of the year and the tree is protected from a north wind. We
do cover it when a hard freeze is predicted.

Another thing about the Ponderosa, it blooms and sets fruit throughout
the year. HTH

George
Posted to rec.food.preserving

George, I have a Meyer Lemon that is 3 years old this season. Last year
it only had 5-6 buds and the birds got them. How do I prevent that this
year? We also have a Kumquat and planted a satsuma this past fall. Our
neighbor had the most wonderful satsumas this winter. We live on the Al
/ Fl line near Perdido Bay and there are lots of citrus trees in the
yards around here. Some of our neighbors have those giant lemons.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

Spcovelady wrote:
> George, I have a Meyer Lemon that is 3 years old this season. Last year
> it only had 5-6 buds and the birds got them. How do I prevent that this
> year? We also have a Kumquat and planted a satsuma this past fall. Our
> neighbor had the most wonderful satsumas this winter. We live on the Al
> / Fl line near Perdido Bay and there are lots of citrus trees in the
> yards around here. Some of our neighbors have those giant lemons.

I've never had birds bother my citrus trees. The plums, pears, peaches,
and figs have to be netted to keep the birds off the fruit.

A couple of satsuma trees will be my next purchase. Just have to
convince DW to let me have them and then find a place to put them. We
live on a 75X150 city lot with a 2400 square foot house on it. Doesn't
leave a lot of room.

George

Posted to rec.food.preserving

George Shirley wrote:
> Spcovelady wrote:
>> George, I have a Meyer Lemon that is 3 years old this season. Last
>> year it only had 5-6 buds and the birds got them. How do I prevent
>> that this year? We also have a Kumquat and planted a satsuma this
>> past fall. Our neighbor had the most wonderful satsumas this winter.
>> We live on the Al / Fl line near Perdido Bay and there are lots of
>> citrus trees in the yards around here. Some of our neighbors have
>> those giant lemons.

> I've never had birds bother my citrus trees. The plums, pears,
> peaches, and figs have to be netted to keep the birds off the fruit.
>
> A couple of satsuma trees will be my next purchase. Just have to
> convince DW to let me have them and then find a place to put them. We
> live on a 75X150 city lot with a 2400 square foot house on it. Doesn't
> leave a lot of room.
>
> George

Have you considered growing them as espaliers?

Posted to rec.food.preserving

GreenieLeBrun wrote:
> George Shirley wrote:
>> Spcovelady wrote:
>>> George, I have a Meyer Lemon that is 3 years old this season. Last
>>> year it only had 5-6 buds and the birds got them. How do I prevent
>>> that this year? We also have a Kumquat and planted a satsuma this
>>> past fall. Our neighbor had the most wonderful satsumas this winter.
>>> We live on the Al / Fl line near Perdido Bay and there are lots of
>>> citrus trees in the yards around here. Some of our neighbors have
>>> those giant lemons.

>> I've never had birds bother my citrus trees. The plums, pears,
>> peaches, and figs have to be netted to keep the birds off the fruit.
>>
>> A couple of satsuma trees will be my next purchase. Just have to
>> convince DW to let me have them and then find a place to put them. We
>> live on a 75X150 city lot with a 2400 square foot house on it. Doesn't
>> leave a lot of room.
>>
>> George

> Have you considered growing them as espaliers?

Yes, but I would have to find a place to espalier them. Not a lot of
room left except for the front yard and DW jealously protects her swath
of mowable lawn.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

George;

What variety of Plums do you have success with? I think we live
fairly close together in Louisiana. Is it Santa Rosa?

Jim

On Thu, 21 Feb 2008 09:19:01 -0600, George Shirley
> wrote:

>Spcovelady wrote:
>> George, I have a Meyer Lemon that is 3 years old this season. Last year
>> it only had 5-6 buds and the birds got them. How do I prevent that this
>> year? We also have a Kumquat and planted a satsuma this past fall. Our
>> neighbor had the most wonderful satsumas this winter. We live on the Al
>> / Fl line near Perdido Bay and there are lots of citrus trees in the
>> yards around here. Some of our neighbors have those giant lemons.

>I've never had birds bother my citrus trees. The plums, pears, peaches,
>and figs have to be netted to keep the birds off the fruit.
>
>A couple of satsuma trees will be my next purchase. Just have to
>convince DW to let me have them and then find a place to put them. We
>live on a 75X150 city lot with a 2400 square foot house on it. Doesn't
>leave a lot of room.
>
>George

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Jim wrote:
> George;
>
> What variety of Plums do you have success with? I think we live
> fairly close together in Louisiana. Is it Santa Rosa?
>
> Jim

I have a Santa Rosa as the pollination partner to my Bruce Plum. Both
are supposed to be a Japanese variety as compared to the European plums.
So far the Santa Rosa has been struggling, the trunk is only about one
inch in diameter now, but the Bruce manages to give us a dozen or so
plums each year as it grows. Both are dwarf trees, I grow mostly dwarf
trees as they take up less room. Once the Santa Rosa catches up to the
Bruce I expect larger crops from the two of them.

LSU ag has some recommendations on fruit trees for various parts of
Louisiana.

George
Posted to rec.food.preserving

"George Shirley" > dwrote in message
. ..
-clipped-
> GreenieLeBrun wrote:
>> George Shirley wrote:
>>> A couple of satsuma trees will be my next purchase. Just have to
>>> convince DW to let me have them and then find a place to put them. We
>>> live on a 75X150 city lot with a 2400 square foot house on it. Doesn't
>>> leave a lot of room.
>>>
>>> George

>> Have you considered growing them as espaliers?

> Yes, but I would have to find a place to espalier them. Not a lot of room
> left except for the front yard and DW jealously protects her swath of
> mowable lawn.

George - IIRC, your wife is an arty type. Why not have her or one of her
arty friends create a sculpture that is different in shape to the ordinary
espalier? Then it's art, not crops!
Edrena

Posted to rec.food.preserving

The Joneses wrote:
> "George Shirley" > dwrote in message
> . ..
> -clipped-
>> GreenieLeBrun wrote:

>>> Have you considered growing them as espaliers?

>> Yes, but I would have to find a place to espalier them. Not a lot of room
>> left except for the front yard and DW jealously protects her swath of
>> mowable lawn.

> George - IIRC, your wife is an arty type. Why not have her or one of her
> arty friends create a sculpture that is different in shape to the ordinary
> espalier? Then it's art, not crops!
> Edrena

Oh yes, she is arty, has been all her life and is fifth generation fine
artist in her family. I dare not give her an opportunity to bring more
"junk" home that "might" be converted into a sculpture one day.

She's going to New Orleans on Wednesday for an art educators convention.
While she's gone I'm going to haul off as much of her useless "stuff" as
I can get onto the pickup. One of these days I'm going to be able to get
into my garage and do some of the stuff I like to do, like woodworking.

I'm always telling her that my next wife is NOT going to be an artist.
She just nods her head and agrees with me, knowing full well she will
outlive me by several decades. Her mom will be 100 yo this October.

You know all you women folk belong to that exclusive club - "She who
dies with the most stuff wins."

George
Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >,
George Shirley > wrote:

> The Joneses wrote:
> > "George Shirley" > dwrote in message
> > . ..
> > -clipped-

> >> Yes, but I would have to find a place to espalier them. Not a lot of room
> >> left except for the front yard and DW jealously protects her swath of
> >> mowable lawn.

> > George - IIRC, your wife is an arty type. Why not have her or one of her
> > arty friends create a sculpture that is different in shape to the ordinary
> > espalier? Then it's art, not crops!
> > Edrena
> >

> Oh yes, she is arty, has been all her life and is fifth generation fine
> artist in her family. I dare not give her an opportunity to bring more
> "junk" home that "might" be converted into a sculpture one day.

I'm tellin'!!!!

> She's going to New Orleans on Wednesday for an art educators convention.
> While she's gone I'm going to haul off as much of her useless "stuff" as
> I can get onto the pickup.

You like sleeping in the garage, do you? Fool!!

> One of these days I'm going to be able to get
> into my garage and do some of the stuff I like to do, like woodworking.
>
> I'm always telling her that my next wife is NOT going to be an artist.
> She just nods her head and agrees with me, knowing full well she will
> outlive me by several decades. Her mom will be 100 yo this October.
>
> You know all you women folk belong to that exclusive club - "She who
> dies with the most stuff wins."

Oh, puh-LEEZE!

> George

-Barb

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/amytaylor
Posted to rec.food.preserving

> You know all you women folk belong to that exclusive club - "She who dies
> with the most stuff wins."
>
> George

Does that mean just the house or does it include the storage locker?
Edrena

Posted to rec.food.preserving

The Joneses wrote:
>> You know all you women folk belong to that exclusive club - "She who dies
>> with the most stuff wins."
>>
>> George

> Does that mean just the house or does it include the storage locker?
> Edrena

Anywhere you have it hidden Edrena. Here's an example: my wife used to
sew a lot. While working foreign she managed to buy about 50 meters of
silk, Chinese, Thai, Italian, Indian, etc. All different kinds of silk
for making outer clothing, sari's, suitable for underwear, etc. It's
still in the cedar chest in the spare bedroom. Mention getting rid of
any of her stuff and she just gives me that cold, deadly, snakelike look
as if saying "Don't you dare." It's scary how y'all protect your stuff.

George
Posted to rec.food.preserving

George Shirley wrote:

> You know all you women folk belong to that exclusive club - "She who
> dies with the most stuff wins."

Huh. It's the men in this family who are the hoarders -- I'm
constantly giving stuff away and decluttering, and they want to hang
on to EVERYthing. Should I be questioning their masculinity? ;-)

Serene

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Serene Sprat wrote:
> George Shirley wrote:
>>
>> You know all you women folk belong to that exclusive club - "She who
>> dies with the most stuff wins."

> Huh. It's the men in this family who are the hoarders -- I'm constantly
> giving stuff away and decluttering, and they want to hang on to
> EVERYthing. Should I be questioning their masculinity? ;-)
>
> Serene

If they're hoarding fabric, clothing patterns, silverware and china I
certainly would. :-) I used to collect guns until the time came when I
needed money for medical bills and decided to sell them all. It's
surprising the things people will collect. I reckon that's why all these
collectible things are newly minted.

George
Posted to rec.food.preserving

George Shirley wrote:
> Serene Sprat wrote:
>> George Shirley wrote:
>>> You know all you women folk belong to that exclusive club - "She who
>>> dies with the most stuff wins."

>> Huh. It's the men in this family who are the hoarders -- I'm constantly
>> giving stuff away and decluttering, and they want to hang on to
>> EVERYthing. Should I be questioning their masculinity? ;-)
>>
>> Serene

> If they're hoarding fabric, clothing patterns, silverware and china I
> certainly would. :-)

James is an outstanding tailor, and is in charge of picking our
dishware and decor items, but I'm here to tell you, he's really
really really a man. :-)

> I used to collect guns until the time came when I
> needed money for medical bills and decided to sell them all. It's
> surprising the things people will collect. I reckon that's why all these
> collectible things are newly minted.

Well, we all agree around here that if we need the money, that's
what having stuff is for -- we'll sell it if we need to. Guy would
have the hardest time, though. He wants to keep EVERYTHING, and I
mean Ev.Er.Y.Thing.

Serene

Lemon juice [email protected] General Cooking 31 16-10-2015 09:50 AM
Substituting Lime Juice for Lemon Juice Marilyn[_3_] Preserving 15 13-08-2010 03:49 PM
LEMON JUICE No Name General Cooking 1 16-01-2010 03:34 AM
Lemon juice in marinade Nonnymus[_8_] Barbecue 1 01-07-2007 11:28 PM
replacing lemon juice elizabeth emerald Recipes 9 02-12-2004 12:44 AM