Recipes (alt.food.recipes) An alternative recipe newsgroup. For the posting and sharing of recipes.

elizabeth emerald

Default replacing lemon juice

my son is allergic to citrus (among other things) & i am trying to find
something to replace lemon/citrus juice & rind in recipes. it is an
important ingredient in so many recipes both savoury & sweet.

any ideas?
--
elizabeth (in australia)

"Anything lost can be found again, except for time wasted" -- Hilltop Hoods

Jesper Madsen

There is a great amount of orange juice on the market, that tastes like it
has never seen an orange. So there should be a product out there. And if it
is just for cooking, then finding some of those cheap imitated fruit juices
and have them tested for citrus, could be a possibility.
If your son is severely allergic to citrus, this might not work, but if he
knows what the symptoms are, and he can handle them easy, if there is too
much citrus in the samples, maybe a doctor should be involved in the
testings.
On alot of bars and hotels, their "freshly pressed orange juice" is a powder
they stir in some water. I do not know if this is an imitated orange, or it
is dried orange, but if you have not tried getting that, then try asking at
a hotel or bar in your area.

Jesper (Denmark - we have no oranges in Denmark - I guess you have in
Australia, so substitutes might not be so common..)

"elizabeth emerald" > wrote in message
> my son is allergic to citrus (among other things) & i am trying to find
> something to replace lemon/citrus juice & rind in recipes. it is an
> important ingredient in so many recipes both savoury & sweet.
>
> any ideas?
> --
> elizabeth (in australia)
>
> "Anything lost can be found again, except for time wasted" -- Hilltop

Hoods

elizabeth emerald

"Jesper Madsen" > wrote in message
> There is a great amount of orange juice on the market, that tastes like it
> has never seen an orange. So there should be a product out there. And if

it
> is just for cooking, then finding some of those cheap imitated fruit

juices
> and have them tested for citrus, could be a possibility.
> If your son is severely allergic to citrus, this might not work, but if he
> knows what the symptoms are, and he can handle them easy, if there is too
> much citrus in the samples, maybe a doctor should be involved in the
> testings.
> On alot of bars and hotels, their "freshly pressed orange juice" is a

powder
> they stir in some water. I do not know if this is an imitated orange, or

it
> is dried orange, but if you have not tried getting that, then try asking

at
> a hotel or bar in your area.
>
> Jesper (Denmark - we have no oranges in Denmark - I guess you have in
> Australia, so substitutes might not be so common..)

i haven't seen substitutes, but we have "imitation" essences so i will check
those out.
unfortunately, he has severe allergies and all fruit derivatives & traces
are out.

--
elizabeth (in australia)

"Old school don't mean I'm better, I'm just getting older" -- Bias B

elizabeth emerald

"Jesper Madsen" > wrote in message
> There is a great amount of orange juice on the market, that tastes like it
> has never seen an orange. So there should be a product out there. And if

it
> is just for cooking, then finding some of those cheap imitated fruit

juices
> and have them tested for citrus, could be a possibility.
> If your son is severely allergic to citrus, this might not work, but if he
> knows what the symptoms are, and he can handle them easy, if there is too
> much citrus in the samples, maybe a doctor should be involved in the
> testings.
> On alot of bars and hotels, their "freshly pressed orange juice" is a

powder
> they stir in some water. I do not know if this is an imitated orange, or

it
> is dried orange, but if you have not tried getting that, then try asking

at
> a hotel or bar in your area.
>
> Jesper (Denmark - we have no oranges in Denmark - I guess you have in
> Australia, so substitutes might not be so common..)

i haven't seen substitutes, but we have "imitation" essences so i will check
those out.
unfortunately, he has severe allergies and all fruit derivatives & traces
are out.

--
elizabeth (in australia)

"Old school don't mean I'm better, I'm just getting older" -- Bias B

elizabeth emerald

"Duckie ®" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 16:44:46 +1100, "elizabeth emerald"
> > wrote:
>
> >my son is allergic to citrus (among other things) & i am trying to find
> >something to replace lemon/citrus juice & rind in recipes. it is an
> >important ingredient in so many recipes both savoury & sweet.
> >
> >any ideas?

> If your child can drink Kool Aid, Flavor Aid, etc, you may want to try
> and experiement w/ it to see if you can sub the lemon juice w/ the
> flavored drinks. I know in a pinch, I will make a small amnt of the
> flavored powdered lemon ade w/o the sugar and use it as I would w/
> regular lemon juice.Lemon ade w/o the sugar is very tart and very much
> like the real thing.

all these items i have seen in australia contain citric acid which he cannot
have. he is severely allergic so all fruit derivatives are out. (he has many
allergies).

> For dried lemon / orange zest, I have no ideas as I usually use fresh
> zest if the recipe calls for it--*however*, I will not go out of my
> way to get the ingredient if I do not have it and at times, I have
> ommitted the zest, and it still turns out great.

that's good to know. i will try omitting it & see how it goes.

> Please keep us informed as I am sure this kind of allergy is rather
> common but we just do not *hear* about it b/c we do not know people
> who are allerigic to citrus.

it is a little common in people who have multiple allergies, but i have
found a big lack of info on the internet. it is all about what to avoid not
how to replace!

> Duckie
>
> PS---perhaps your doc can refer to you a dietician who works w/
> patients who have citrus allergies. She / He might have ideas /
> recipes for you too.

we have just changed pediatric allergist (the last one was shocking) and we
have to wait until march next year to see her. i have a list of questions
for her dietician!
--
elizabeth (in australia)

"Old school don't mean I'm better, I'm just getting older" -- Bias B

elizabeth emerald

"Duckie ®" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 16:44:46 +1100, "elizabeth emerald"
> > wrote:
>
> >my son is allergic to citrus (among other things) & i am trying to find
> >something to replace lemon/citrus juice & rind in recipes. it is an
> >important ingredient in so many recipes both savoury & sweet.
> >
> >any ideas?

> If your child can drink Kool Aid, Flavor Aid, etc, you may want to try
> and experiement w/ it to see if you can sub the lemon juice w/ the
> flavored drinks. I know in a pinch, I will make a small amnt of the
> flavored powdered lemon ade w/o the sugar and use it as I would w/
> regular lemon juice.Lemon ade w/o the sugar is very tart and very much
> like the real thing.

all these items i have seen in australia contain citric acid which he cannot
have. he is severely allergic so all fruit derivatives are out. (he has many
allergies).

> For dried lemon / orange zest, I have no ideas as I usually use fresh
> zest if the recipe calls for it--*however*, I will not go out of my
> way to get the ingredient if I do not have it and at times, I have
> ommitted the zest, and it still turns out great.

that's good to know. i will try omitting it & see how it goes.

> Please keep us informed as I am sure this kind of allergy is rather
> common but we just do not *hear* about it b/c we do not know people
> who are allerigic to citrus.

it is a little common in people who have multiple allergies, but i have
found a big lack of info on the internet. it is all about what to avoid not
how to replace!

> Duckie
>
> PS---perhaps your doc can refer to you a dietician who works w/
> patients who have citrus allergies. She / He might have ideas /
> recipes for you too.

we have just changed pediatric allergist (the last one was shocking) and we
have to wait until march next year to see her. i have a list of questions
for her dietician!
--
elizabeth (in australia)

"Old school don't mean I'm better, I'm just getting older" -- Bias B

DJ Daimon

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 11:56:13 +1100, "elizabeth emerald"
> wrote:

>"Duckie ®" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 16:44:46 +1100, "elizabeth emerald"
>> > wrote:
>>
>> >my son is allergic to citrus (among other things) & i am trying to find
>> >something to replace lemon/citrus juice & rind in recipes. it is an
>> >important ingredient in so many recipes both savoury & sweet.
>> >
>> >any ideas?

>> If your child can drink Kool Aid, Flavor Aid, etc, you may want to try
>> and experiement w/ it to see if you can sub the lemon juice w/ the
>> flavored drinks. I know in a pinch, I will make a small amnt of the
>> flavored powdered lemon ade w/o the sugar and use it as I would w/
>> regular lemon juice.Lemon ade w/o the sugar is very tart and very much
>> like the real thing.

>all these items i have seen in australia contain citric acid which he cannot
>have. he is severely allergic so all fruit derivatives are out. (he has many
>allergies).

I grew up with, and eventually out of citrus allergies, so I can feel
your sons' pain, and your frustration. I was annoyed as all hell that
my brother could drink pop, but I couldn't...

If what you're looking for is simply the tartness that lemon juice
provides to a dish, try using various vinegars - they ad a tartness,
without the citrus.

Aren't allergies fun?

Chris

Ontario Metal Pages - The Ultimate Authority on Metal in Ontario
http://www.ontariometal.net

Advertise here for only $14.95 per month. Ask me how.
Domenick Amato

An alternative to vinegar, which is acetic acid, is citric acid. It is the
actual acid in citrus fruits. Hence the name, citric.

Dom Amato

"DJ Daimon" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 11:56:13 +1100, "elizabeth emerald"
> > wrote:
>

>>"Duckie ®" > wrote in message
. ..
>>> On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 16:44:46 +1100, "elizabeth emerald"

>>> If your child can drink Kool Aid, Flavor Aid, etc, you may want to try
>>> and experiement w/ it to see if you can sub the lemon juice w/ the
>>> flavored drinks. I know in a pinch, I will make a small amnt of the
>>> flavored powdered lemon ade w/o the sugar and use it as I would w/
>>> regular lemon juice.Lemon ade w/o the sugar is very tart and very much
>>> like the real thing.

>>all these items i have seen in australia contain citric acid which he
>>cannot
>>have. he is severely allergic so all fruit derivatives are out. (he has
>>many
>>allergies).

> I grew up with, and eventually out of citrus allergies, so I can feel
> your sons' pain, and your frustration. I was annoyed as all hell that
> my brother could drink pop, but I couldn't...
>
> If what you're looking for is simply the tartness that lemon juice
> provides to a dish, try using various vinegars - they ad a tartness,
> without the citrus.
>
> Aren't allergies fun?
>
> Chris
>

> Ontario Metal Pages - The Ultimate Authority on Metal in Ontario
> http://www.ontariometal.net
>
> Advertise here for only $14.95 per month. Ask me how.

Domenick Amato

"DJ Daimon" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 11:56:13 +1100, "elizabeth emerald"
> > wrote:
>

>>"Duckie ®" > wrote in message
. ..
>>> On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 16:44:46 +1100, "elizabeth emerald"

>>> If your child can drink Kool Aid, Flavor Aid, etc, you may want to try
>>> and experiement w/ it to see if you can sub the lemon juice w/ the
>>> flavored drinks. I know in a pinch, I will make a small amnt of the
>>> flavored powdered lemon ade w/o the sugar and use it as I would w/
>>> regular lemon juice.Lemon ade w/o the sugar is very tart and very much
>>> like the real thing.

>>all these items i have seen in australia contain citric acid which he
>>cannot
>>have. he is severely allergic so all fruit derivatives are out. (he has
>>many
>>allergies).

> I grew up with, and eventually out of citrus allergies, so I can feel
> your sons' pain, and your frustration. I was annoyed as all hell that
> my brother could drink pop, but I couldn't...
>
> If what you're looking for is simply the tartness that lemon juice
> provides to a dish, try using various vinegars - they ad a tartness,
> without the citrus.
>
> Aren't allergies fun?
>
> Chris
>

> Ontario Metal Pages - The Ultimate Authority on Metal in Ontario
> http://www.ontariometal.net
>
> Advertise here for only $14.95 per month. Ask me how.

DJ Daimon

On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 11:43:23 -0600, "Domenick Amato"
> wrote:

>An alternative to vinegar, which is acetic acid, is citric acid. It is the
>actual acid in citrus fruits. Hence the name, citric.
>
>Dom Amato

Ummm, Dom, the problem is that her son has bad citrus allergies, hence
why I suggested vinegar.

Ontario Metal Pages - The Ultimate Authority on Metal in Ontario
http://www.ontariometal.net

Advertise here for only $14.95 per month. Ask me how.

Lemon juice [email protected] General Cooking 31 16-10-2015 09:50 AM
Substituting Lime Juice for Lemon Juice Marilyn[_3_] Preserving 15 13-08-2010 03:49 PM
LEMON JUICE No Name General Cooking 1 16-01-2010 03:34 AM
replacing lemon juice elizabeth emerald General Cooking 33 01-12-2004 11:14 PM
replacing lemon juice elizabeth emerald Baking 13 24-11-2004 02:30 AM