Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Mustard--anyone got some good recipes?

Now that it's really winter here -- both cold and snow-- and the holiday
season is over, I'm thinking about foods to can that don't require
out-of-season fruits or veggies.

Which got me thinking about mustard. A bit over a year ago I made and
canned some mustards to go into Christmas boxes. As luck would have it the
amount made exactly fit my giving requirements so I didn't end up with any
for us. I made Cranberry Mustard and Oktoberfest Mustard (both from the big
Ball book).

I can make those again, but I'd like to try something else. Does anyone
have a good recipe for mustard that can be canned? I'm particularly
interested in whole grain mustards -- I've had some Eastern European ones
that are really delish.

TIA

Anny

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Jan 2, 7:11�am, "Anny Middon" > wrote:
> Now that it's really winter here -- both cold and snow-- and the holiday
> season is over, I'm thinking about foods to can that don't require
> out-of-season fruits or veggies.
>
> Which got me thinking about mustard. �A bit over a year ago I made and
> canned some mustards to go into Christmas boxes. �As luck would have it the
> amount made exactly fit my giving requirements so I didn't end up with any
> for us. �I made Cranberry Mustard and Oktoberfest Mustard (both from the big
> Ball book).
>
> I can make those again, but I'd like to try something else. �Does anyone
> have a good recipe for mustard that can be canned? �I'm particularly
> interested in whole grain mustards -- I've had some Eastern European ones
> that are really delish.
>
> TIA
>
> Anny

Try some of these. They are very nice.
http://www.ilhawaii.net/~danrubio/mustard/recipes.html
Posted to rec.food.preserving
Reg Reg is offline

Anny Middon wrote:
> Now that it's really winter here -- both cold and snow-- and the holiday
> season is over, I'm thinking about foods to can that don't require
> out-of-season fruits or veggies.
>
> Which got me thinking about mustard. A bit over a year ago I made and
> canned some mustards to go into Christmas boxes. As luck would have it the
> amount made exactly fit my giving requirements so I didn't end up with any
> for us. I made Cranberry Mustard and Oktoberfest Mustard (both from the big
> Ball book).
>
> I can make those again, but I'd like to try something else. Does anyone
> have a good recipe for mustard that can be canned? I'm particularly
> interested in whole grain mustards -- I've had some Eastern European ones
> that are really delish.

Coarse Grain Chile mustard

1/3 C rough chopped dried chiles, topped with 1/2 C boiling water
1/3 C yellow mustard seeds
1/4 C brown mustard seeds
3 T mustard powder
3 T white wine vinegar
2 T brown sugar
1 T honey
3 T olive oil
1 t turmeric
2 t salt
1/3 C red wine (approx)

Dump boiling water over chiles. Wait 10 minutes
and blend into a smooth puree. Add everything but wine.
Then add enough wine and blend until consistancy is right.
Adjust flavors, especially making sure the sweet
balances out the heat.

Blend until some but not all the whole seeds are
busted and it's all well combined. This is a coarse grain
mustard so leave a little texture in.

--
Reg

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"pamjd" > wrote in message
Try some of these. They are very nice.
http://www.ilhawaii.net/~danrubio/mustard/recipes.html

Thanks. They sould delicious.

Not sure how many can be canned, however.

Anny

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"Reg" > wrote in message
. net...

> Coarse Grain Chile mustard
>
> 1/3 C rough chopped dried chiles, topped with 1/2 C boiling water
> 1/3 C yellow mustard seeds
> 1/4 C brown mustard seeds
> 3 T mustard powder
> 3 T white wine vinegar
> 2 T brown sugar
> 1 T honey
> 3 T olive oil
> 1 t turmeric
> 2 t salt
> 1/3 C red wine (approx)
>
> Dump boiling water over chiles. Wait 10 minutes
> and blend into a smooth puree. Add everything but wine.
> Then add enough wine and blend until consistancy is right.
> Adjust flavors, especially making sure the sweet
> balances out the heat.
>
> Blend until some but not all the whole seeds are
> busted and it's all well combined. This is a coarse grain
> mustard so leave a little texture in.

Sounds really. good.

I'm a bit concerned about the olive oil. Is this a small enough amount that
it poses no problem for BWB processing?

Anny