Wayne Lundberg

Default Recipes just don't cut the mustard... sorry

So, just how bland has this newsgroup gotten since the comments that the
cultural aspects of Mexican food/meals is not really important?

Posting recipes may be what a lot of us want; but the spice comes from
sharing how, when and why a typical Mexican Food recipe is used.

Am I wrong?

Wayne

Draegus

Wayne Lundberg wrote:
> So, just how bland has this newsgroup gotten since the comments that the
> cultural aspects of Mexican food/meals is not really important?
>
> Posting recipes may be what a lot of us want; but the spice comes from
> sharing how, when and why a typical Mexican Food recipe is used.
>
> Am I wrong?
>
> Wayne

"BONK!"

David Wright

On Fri, 05 Dec 2003 22:13:05 GMT, "Wayne Lundberg"
> wrote:

>So, just how bland has this newsgroup gotten since the comments that the
>cultural aspects of Mexican food/meals is not really important?
>
>Posting recipes may be what a lot of us want; but the spice comes from
>sharing how, when and why a typical Mexican Food recipe is used.
>
>Am I wrong?
>
>Wayne

Wayne,

Everyone around this newsgroup who knows anything about Mexican
culture knows that the recipes don't stand alone.

I said one time at a dinner with friends at our house, that "What's on
the plate isn't nearly as important as whose butts are in the chairs."

I know we've had some posters recently who have thought otherwise (And
isn't it interesting that they all went away at the same time? ;-),
but I don't think any of we viejos and viejas on this group went along
with their thinking.

My wife and I will be making tamales soon, with friends, just as we
have for many years, and, just as I did with friends when I lived in
such far-away places as Idaho, Washington state, and Illinois, thanks
to packages of corn shucks and masa harina sent from home.

The getting together to celebrate making food is certainly more
important than how the food turns out.

Wouldn't it be enjoyable if the friendly people on afm-c could get
together for a tamalada?

BTW there is a play that has been produced in San Antonio for a few
years that involves some young women who are new to tamale making, and
whose ghostly ancestors hang over them making sure they do it right.
If I can find a link I'll post it here.

David
The Ranger

Wayne Lundberg > asked in message
> So, just how bland has this newsgroup gotten since the
> comments that the cultural aspects of Mexican food/meals
> is not really important?
>
> Posting recipes may be what a lot of us want; but the spice
> comes from sharing how, when and why a typical Mexican
> Food recipe is used.
>
> Am I wrong?

Yes and no; it's not as clear as that most of the time.

I enjoy the recipes that are posted where the format is straight-forward and
logical. I don't enjoy reading a recipe that reads like an essay because
pulling the necessary information (measurements, ingredients, method) from
the text is just too time-consuming. I don't mind reading the dialogue
_after_ a recipe, or even prior to it -- helping with set-up and delivery,
but not mixed throughout.

As for that blockhead (and all his puppets) from the never-ending September
invasion... Quality over quantity any day.

The Ranger

David Wright

On Fri, 5 Dec 2003 16:24:42 -0800, "The Ranger"
> wrote:

>I enjoy the recipes that are posted where the format is straight-forward and
>logical. I don't enjoy reading a recipe that reads like an essay because
>pulling the necessary information (measurements, ingredients, method) from
>the text is just too time-consuming. I don't mind reading the dialogue
>_after_ a recipe, or even prior to it -- helping with set-up and delivery,
>but not mixed throughout.

Maybe I'm such an old fart that I don't need to read recipes anymore,
but I like to know how other people are making the same dishes I like
to make, and to read their stories.

I *really* like it that Rolly is sharing Doņa Marta's cooking wisdom
with us, just as I'm glad to read Wayne's adventures, from both then
and now.

>As for that blockhead (and all his puppets) from the never-ending September
>invasion... Quality over quantity any day.

I'm with you there!

>The Ranger

David

David Wright

On Sat, 06 Dec 2003 00:50:30 GMT, David Wright
> wrote:

>I *really* like it that Rolly is sharing Doņa Marta's cooking wisdom
>with us, just as I'm glad to read Wayne's adventures, from both then
>and now.

P.S. I just got mushy over Karina's fifth birthday party ...

http://www.rollybrook.com/07-26-03.htm

David, a pre-grampa
David Wright

On Fri, 05 Dec 2003 22:43:19 GMT, Draegus > wrote:

>"BONK!"

LOL!

What does BONK! mean. Is it related to PLONK? And if so, why?
Who is this Draegus who has no history here?

A1, is it you? Or one of your clones?

David
Jim Lane

David Wright wrote:
> On Fri, 05 Dec 2003 22:43:19 GMT, Draegus > wrote:
>

>>"BONK!"

> LOL!
>
> What does BONK! mean. Is it related to PLONK? And if so, why?
> Who is this Draegus who has no history here?
>
> A1, is it you? Or one of your clones?
>
> David

Think sock puppet, for obvious reasons.

jim

Linda

"Wayne Lundberg" > wrote in message
> So, just how bland has this newsgroup gotten since the comments that the
> cultural aspects of Mexican food/meals is not really important?
>
> Posting recipes may be what a lot of us want; but the spice comes from
> sharing how, when and why a typical Mexican Food recipe is used.
>
> Am I wrong?
>
> Wayne

no you're absolutely right..
...and we need you to spice things up!
a.f.m-c bland with no Wayne

Linda

Wayne Lundberg

"Linda" > wrote in message

> "Wayne Lundberg" > wrote in message

---snip---

..gee, golly, gosh Linda.... I'm blushing!

(And loving it!)
Wayne

Smack Smack

Default OT - Recipes just don't cut the mustard... sorry

"Wayne Lundberg" > wrote in message
> (And loving it!)

I happen to enjoy the additional history and anecdotes added to
posts here, long as they're appropriately on-topic, short and
not self-absorbed.
But sorry to say, the incessant weeping, bla-bla woof-woof by
some leaves them open to jabs, such as, I just wonder if any of
those longwinded, crying chefs can chew food at the table with
their mouths closed?

Come-on, please take this with a "grain of salt", maintaining a
sense of humor and don't BONK or PLONK me.
After all ....... Tis The Season To Be Jolly

Merry everything all!

Frogleg

On Fri, 05 Dec 2003 22:13:05 GMT, "Wayne Lundberg"
> wrote:

>So, just how bland has this newsgroup gotten since the comments that the
>cultural aspects of Mexican food/meals is not really important?
>
>Posting recipes may be what a lot of us want; but the spice comes from
>sharing how, when and why a typical Mexican Food recipe is used.
>
>Am I wrong?

Is this more true of Mexican cooking than any other flavor? I wax
nostalgic about New Mexico Mexican, from exquisite meals in good
restaurants to the every-other-Friday "Mexican" lunch in my Albuq.
school cafeteria (cold raw tortilla covered with beans, tomato,
lettuce, & cheese) to wangling a couple of seasonal tamales from
another NM ex-pat. Arguing red/green with anyone remotely
knowledgable is enjoyable.

But *many* cooking/eating occasions are valued more for the
circumstances and company than the recipes. I learned something about
Indian veg cooking from a family that ran a taco franchise in SE
Virginia. (Go figure.) Hurricane food this past fall was interesting
-- my first meal with neighbors of 4-5 years was bacon and pancakes
cooked on a grill and eaten from a card table in the back yard.
David Wright

On Sat, 6 Dec 2003 13:04:43 -0600, "Smack Smack" > wrote:

>"Wayne Lundberg" > wrote in message
>> (And loving it!)

>I happen to enjoy the additional history and anecdotes added to
>posts here, long as they're appropriately on-topic, short and
>not self-absorbed.
>But sorry to say, the incessant weeping, bla-bla woof-woof by
>some leaves them open to jabs, ...

Another suspect first-timer who has nothing to contribute.

David
Wayne Lundberg

---snip----

..> Another suspect first-timer who has nothing to contribute.

> David

Right on David, a perfect example of the arrogance of ignorance syndrome.

Wayne