Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Wine grape jelly

At first glance it appears that they do not jell. I have made two
batches today and neither one has jelled. I will wait a week or so
and see if they improve. The taste of the Pinotage is sorta blah. The
Cabernet Sauvignon tastes better. Will keep you posted.
--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"The Cook" > wrote in message
> At first glance it appears that they do not jell. I have made two
> batches today and neither one has jelled. I will wait a week or so
> and see if they improve. The taste of the Pinotage is sorta blah. The
> Cabernet Sauvignon tastes better. Will keep you posted.

Using a candy thermometer, make sure your reaching 220 when
rolling boiling.

Then, do a rolling boil and keep testing every 10 minutes for
jelling. After a couple of tests, toss in another packet of pectin
and continue boiling and testing. You will eventually get it to
jell. I assume your adding in additional acid, like lemon juice?

Ted

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Sun, 09 Sep 2007 09:07:14 -0700, Steve M >
wrote:

>I've always had good luck with the following recipe:
>

>* Exported from MasterCook *
>
> Wine Jelly
>
>Recipe By :
>Serving Size : 64 Preparation Time :0:00
>Categories : Jams & Jellies

>-------- ------------ --------------------------------
> 2 cups wine
> 3 1/4 cups sugar
> 3 ounces pectin -- liquid
>
>Add wine to sugar and bring to boil. Add pectin and boil 1 min.
>
>Skim foam and pour into jars.
>
>Seal jars.
>
>- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>
>Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 49 Calories; trace Fat (0.1%
>calories from fat); trace Protein; 11g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary
>Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 8mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 Other Carbohydrates.
>
>NOTES : Makes 2 pints / 4 jelly jars
>BTW: Zinfandel is my favorite
>
>Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
>> "The Cook" > wrote in message
>>> At first glance it appears that they do not jell. I have made two
>>> batches today and neither one has jelled. I will wait a week or so
>>> and see if they improve. The taste of the Pinotage is sorta blah. The
>>> Cabernet Sauvignon tastes better. Will keep you posted.

>> Using a candy thermometer, make sure your reaching 220 when
>> rolling boiling.
>>
>> Then, do a rolling boil and keep testing every 10 minutes for
>> jelling. After a couple of tests, toss in another packet of pectin
>> and continue boiling and testing. You will eventually get it to
>> jell. I assume your adding in additional acid, like lemon juice?
>>
>> Ted

I am using wine grapes, not wine.
--
Susan N.

Wine Grape Jelly The Cook Preserving 1 14-08-2007 07:10 PM
Apple Grape Jelly Deweydecimal Recipes (moderated) 0 19-09-2006 04:53 AM
I can make great wine WHY? can't I make grape Jelly HonkingGoose Preserving 6 12-10-2005 03:21 AM
Grape and wine jelly Frances Preserving 34 08-12-2004 04:48 PM
grape jelly Ron w Recipes 0 16-09-2004 05:17 PM