Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Paradise Jelly

I recently read a recipe for Paradise Jelly and it has me wanting to make
some. For those who (like I, until I read the recipe) don't know what
paradise jelly is, it's made from apples, quinces, and cranberries.

Anyone got any ideas on where I might be able to buy fresh quinces? I live
in suburban Chicago. I was thinking of asking at the Nichols Farm stand at
the farmers market, since they have a lot of stuff I never see anywhere
else. Any other thoughts?

The recipe I have does not ask for added pectin -- what with the apples and
the quince you're not supposed to need it. I have a ton of expereince at
making syrups that were supposed to be jams or jellies. Any hints or tips
to prevent that happening this time? I'd hate to got to the trouble of
getting fresh quinces (hmmm... maybe the plural is just quince) to make
syrup.

Anny

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"Anny Middon" > wrote in message
. net...
>I recently read a recipe for Paradise Jelly and it has me wanting to make
>some. For those who (like I, until I read the recipe) don't know what
>paradise jelly is, it's made from apples, quinces, and cranberries.
>
> Anyone got any ideas on where I might be able to buy fresh quinces? I
> live in suburban Chicago. I was thinking of asking at the Nichols Farm
> stand at the farmers market, since they have a lot of stuff I never see
> anywhere else. Any other thoughts?
>
> The recipe I have does not ask for added pectin -- what with the apples
> and the quince you're not supposed to need it. I have a ton of expereince
> at making syrups that were supposed to be jams or jellies. Any hints or
> tips to prevent that happening this time? I'd hate to got to the trouble
> of getting fresh quinces (hmmm... maybe the plural is just quince) to make
> syrup.
>
> Anny

Call around to some ethnic food markets. Frozen quinces (Merriam-Webster
dictionary on-line) may be had in an ethnic Mexican grocery near my house.
The last fresh ones I got cooked down with a lovely rose amber color all by
their own selfs.
When I made fresh quince jelly, I used only about half the seed/seed
package, as the rest were icky. That quince jelly jelled hard as a rock. I
saved some of the seeds out in a bowl and they jelled without cooking, in
the fridge! Quinces got a lot of pectin.
Use a candy thermometer and make sure you reach your jelling point for
your altitude, 4 deg. F above boiling, iirc. Or use whatever cookdown method
works for you.
Good luck and let us know how it goes!
Edrena

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"Anny Middon" > wrote in message
. net...
>I recently read a recipe for Paradise Jelly and it has me wanting to make
>some. For those who (like I, until I read the recipe) don't know what
>paradise jelly is, it's made from apples, quinces, and cranberries.
>
> Anyone got any ideas on where I might be able to buy fresh quinces? I
> live in suburban Chicago. I was thinking of asking at the Nichols Farm
> stand at the farmers market, since they have a lot of stuff I never see
> anywhere else. Any other thoughts?
>
> The recipe I have does not ask for added pectin -- what with the apples
> and the quince you're not supposed to need it. I have a ton of expereince
> at making syrups that were supposed to be jams or jellies. Any hints or
> tips to prevent that happening this time? I'd hate to got to the trouble
> of getting fresh quinces (hmmm... maybe the plural is just quince) to make
> syrup.
>
> Anny

I thought they were seasonal. I've only seen them in my local stores
(Ottawa, Ontario) during late winter or early spring (if I remember
correctly). hmmmm...that's not much help is it? Good luck!

Kathi

Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >,
"The Joneses" > wrote:

> Use a candy thermometer and make sure you reach your jelling point for
> your altitude, 4 deg. F above boiling, iirc.
> Edrena

Eight degrees, I think. George uses a thermometer‹he'll know.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com - Fair baking
Posted to rec.food.preserving

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article >,
> "The Joneses" > wrote:
>
>> Use a candy thermometer and make sure you reach your jelling point for
>> your altitude, 4 deg. F above boiling, iirc.
>> Edrena

> Eight degrees, I think. George uses a thermometer‹he'll know.

Yup, IIRC that's what I do. I have to look it up again each time you
know. Getting a little senile probably. I shoot for 220 to 222F for gel
stage. Sometimes even that isn't enough for some jelliesjams.

George

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Aug 27, 6:12 pm, "Kathi Jones" > wrote:
> "Anny Middon" > wrote in message
>
> . net...
>

> >I recently read a recipe for Paradise Jelly and it has me wanting to make
> >some. For those who (like I, until I read the recipe) don't know what
> >paradise jelly is, it's made from apples, quinces, and cranberries.

> > Anyone got any ideas on where I might be able to buy fresh quinces? I
> > live in suburban Chicago. I was thinking of asking at the Nichols Farm
> > stand at the farmers market, since they have a lot of stuff I never see
> > anywhere else. Any other thoughts?

> > The recipe I have does not ask for added pectin -- what with the apples
> > and the quince you're not supposed to need it. I have a ton of expereince
> > at making syrups that were supposed to be jams or jellies. Any hints or
> > tips to prevent that happening this time? I'd hate to got to the trouble
> > of getting fresh quinces (hmmm... maybe the plural is just quince) to make
> > syrup.

> > Anny

> I thought they were seasonal. I've only seen them in my local stores
> (Ottawa, Ontario) during late winter or early spring (if I remember
> correctly). hmmmm...that's not much help is it? Good luck!
>
> Kathi

Oh yum that sounds to yummy. I would say with quince you shouldn't
have too much of a problem since they are so high in pectin. I would
check around with any apple growers. More than likely it will be
found in a garden of some old house. I found it really hard to find
quince. Then I found some and had to move to Idaho. So every old
tree that maybe an apple I look at closely to see if I've been told
wrong and it's a quince. LOL!

Vicky

Posted to rec.food.preserving

cooksalot wrote:
> On Aug 27, 6:12 pm, "Kathi Jones" > wrote:
>> "Anny Middon" > wrote in message
>>
>> . net...
>>

>>> I recently read a recipe for Paradise Jelly and it has me wanting to make
>>> some. For those who (like I, until I read the recipe) don't know what
>>> paradise jelly is, it's made from apples, quinces, and cranberries.
>>> Anyone got any ideas on where I might be able to buy fresh quinces? I
>>> live in suburban Chicago. I was thinking of asking at the Nichols Farm
>>> stand at the farmers market, since they have a lot of stuff I never see
>>> anywhere else. Any other thoughts?
>>> The recipe I have does not ask for added pectin -- what with the apples
>>> and the quince you're not supposed to need it. I have a ton of expereince
>>> at making syrups that were supposed to be jams or jellies. Any hints or
>>> tips to prevent that happening this time? I'd hate to got to the trouble
>>> of getting fresh quinces (hmmm... maybe the plural is just quince) to make
>>> syrup.
>>> Anny

>> I thought they were seasonal. I've only seen them in my local stores
>> (Ottawa, Ontario) during late winter or early spring (if I remember
>> correctly). hmmmm...that's not much help is it? Good luck!
>>
>> Kathi

> Oh yum that sounds to yummy. I would say with quince you shouldn't
> have too much of a problem since they are so high in pectin. I would
> check around with any apple growers. More than likely it will be
> found in a garden of some old house. I found it really hard to find
> quince. Then I found some and had to move to Idaho. So every old
> tree that maybe an apple I look at closely to see if I've been told
> wrong and it's a quince. LOL!
>
> Vicky

You can buy fruiting quince trees from Stark Bros. nursery in Louisiana,
MO. I bought one much earlier this year and it's already grown about 3
feet taller. Notice that I said fruiting, many quince trees are grown as
decorative trees with pretty blooms. Same goes with crabapples, not all
of them fruit.

George