Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Introducing myself : ANN

Hello Group,

I would like to introduce myself. My name is Ann and I live in Tennessee.

We are in a severe drought here so my husband has been watering our garden
twice a day.

I am married and have 1 grown son, no grandchildren yet.

I like to b described as a stay at home wife...
I preserve or put up a lot of the food we eat.
Such as:
applesauce, peaches, fruit cocktail, green beans, canned corn, canned sweet
potatoes, white potatoes, dill pickles, sweet bread and butter pickles,
salsa, tomatoes, tomato sauce, beef stew, split pea soup, chicken soup,
mexican chicken soup, chicken broth, beef broth, canned chicken, canned
beef, canned pork, spaghetti meat sauce, taco meat, chili meat, kidney
beans, bean soup, pork and beans, pickled beets, dill relish, gren tomato
pickles,white beans, yellow wax beans, preserves, italian beef and I will
try a few new things this year.

I also make my own bread, hamburger buns, beef buns, make homemade mixes for
baking. I also make my own spice and seasoning mixes.

I have a small organic garden using raised beds. We grow green beans, wax
beans, lettuce, radishes, beets, white potatoes, sweet and bell peppers,
tomatoes, onions, cantaloupes, kolorabi, some cabbage, eggplant, dill, other
herbs, asparagus.

WE have a small orchard but it froze out this year from late freezes and
frosts.

I am very busy in the spring, summer and fall.

But I truly love it.

Ann

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"D.L." > wrote in message
> Hello Group,
>
> I would like to introduce myself. My name is Ann and I live in Tennessee.
>
> We are in a severe drought here so my husband has been watering our garden
> twice a day.
>
> I am married and have 1 grown son, no grandchildren yet.
>
> I like to b described as a stay at home wife...
> I preserve or put up a lot of the food we eat.
> Such as:
> applesauce, peaches, fruit cocktail, green beans, canned corn, canned
> sweet
> potatoes, white potatoes, dill pickles, sweet bread and butter pickles,
> salsa, tomatoes, tomato sauce, beef stew, split pea soup, chicken soup,
> mexican chicken soup, chicken broth, beef broth, canned chicken, canned
> beef, canned pork, spaghetti meat sauce, taco meat, chili meat, kidney
> beans, bean soup, pork and beans, pickled beets, dill relish, gren tomato
> pickles,white beans, yellow wax beans, preserves, italian beef and I will
> try a few new things this year.
>
> I also make my own bread, hamburger buns, beef buns, make homemade mixes
> for
> baking. I also make my own spice and seasoning mixes.
>
> I have a small organic garden using raised beds. We grow green beans, wax
> beans, lettuce, radishes, beets, white potatoes, sweet and bell peppers,
> tomatoes, onions, cantaloupes, kolorabi, some cabbage, eggplant, dill,
> other
> herbs, asparagus.
>
> WE have a small orchard but it froze out this year from late freezes and
> frosts.
> I am very busy in the spring, summer and fall.
> But I truly love it.
> Ann

Welcome, Sister Ann! You're truly a devotee to Padre Presto The Pressure
Canner, a hitherto unknown saint.
Our brother George freezes eggplant moussaka and another eggplant dish I'm
dying to try. Among other things, I like freezing caponata (Rachel Ray's
recipe more or less), it's a bit like rich Italian salsa with lots of olives
(and eggplant), but not lots of heat. And try the red wine pickled beets.
*Most* of the wine alcohol cooks off, but the taste is divine. I suppose one
could make it with just red wine vinegar, but it would not be quite the
same.
Out in west high desert (we'll see your drought and raise you a high wind)
Edrena
faithful disciple of St. Vinaigrette, Holy Order of the
Sacred Sisters (& Brothers) of St. Pectina of Jella (HOSS&BSPJ)

Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >,
"D.L." > wrote:

> Hello Group,
>
> I would like to introduce myself. My name is Ann and I live in Tennessee.
>
> We are in a severe drought here so my husband has been watering our garden
> twice a day.
>
> I am married and have 1 grown son, no grandchildren yet.
>
> I like to b described as a stay at home wife...
> I preserve or put up a lot of the food we eat.
> Such as:
> applesauce, peaches, fruit cocktail, green beans, canned corn, canned sweet
> potatoes, white potatoes, dill pickles, sweet bread and butter pickles,
> salsa, tomatoes, tomato sauce, beef stew, split pea soup, chicken soup,
> mexican chicken soup, chicken broth, beef broth, canned chicken, canned
> beef, canned pork, spaghetti meat sauce, taco meat, chili meat, kidney
> beans, bean soup, pork and beans, pickled beets, dill relish, gren tomato
> pickles,white beans, yellow wax beans, preserves, italian beef and I will
> try a few new things this year.
>
> I also make my own bread, hamburger buns, beef buns, make homemade mixes for
> baking. I also make my own spice and seasoning mixes.
>
> I have a small organic garden using raised beds. We grow green beans, wax
> beans, lettuce, radishes, beets, white potatoes, sweet and bell peppers,
> tomatoes, onions, cantaloupes, kolorabi, some cabbage, eggplant, dill, other
> herbs, asparagus.
>
> WE have a small orchard but it froze out this year from late freezes and
> frosts.
>
> I am very busy in the spring, summer and fall.
>
> But I truly love it.
>

> Ann

Lordy, Ann, I almost got the vapors just from reading all that!! :-)
Do you have a good recipe for a dill relish? I make a fair bread &
butter pickle - what's yours like?

{ Exported from MasterCook Mac }

Bread & Butter Pickles

Recipe By: Barb Schaller posted again to rec.food.preserving 6-30-2007

4 quarts sliced medium cukes (about 25)
3 cups sliced onions (about 4 medium)
2 green peppers chopped (or 1 red
and 1 green)
3 cloves garlic sliced
1/3 cup canning salt
5 cups sugar
3 cups cider vinegar
1 1/2 teaspoons turmeric
1 1/2 teaspoons celery seed
2 tablespoons mustard seed

Combine cukes, onions, cauliflower, pepper, and garlic. Add salt; cover
with cracked ice; mix thoroughly. Let stand three hours, drain well.
Combine second column ingredients, pour over cuke mixture. Heat just to
a boil. Seal in hot, sterilized jars. Yield: 7-8 pints.

Source: Recipe is originally from an old Better Homes & Gardens
cookbook in 1983.
‹‹‹‹‹
Notes: Blue Ribbon Winner at the Minnesota State Fair in 1983, 1984,
2001, 2003, 2004, 2005. Because of those last three ribbons, I can't
compete in the lot for two years. I'll live.
Best of the Pickles in 2001 -- Gedney prize.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com - story and
Posted to rec.food.preserving

D.L. wrote:

> I like to b described as a stay at home wife...

I call myself an "alternative housewife". :-)

> I preserve or put up a lot of the food we eat.
> Such as:
> applesauce, peaches, fruit cocktail, green beans, canned corn, canned sweet
> potatoes, white potatoes, dill pickles, sweet bread and butter pickles,
> salsa, tomatoes, tomato sauce, beef stew, split pea soup, chicken soup,
> mexican chicken soup, chicken broth, beef broth, canned chicken, canned
> beef, canned pork, spaghetti meat sauce, taco meat, chili meat, kidney
> beans, bean soup, pork and beans, pickled beets, dill relish, gren tomato
> pickles,white beans, yellow wax beans, preserves, italian beef and I will
> try a few new things this year.
>
> I also make my own bread, hamburger buns, beef buns, make homemade mixes for
> baking. I also make my own spice and seasoning mixes.

I'm so impressed with you. I'm working on it. Just this minute, I
ordered the Ball Blue Book, and I do make all our bread, but the
only thing I've ever canned was several pints of *delicious* citrus
jelly last year. What I'd love to do is make most or all of our
condiments -- pickles, jams, chutney, relish, hot sauce, etc.

Anyway, I'm mostly a lurker/reader here, but welcome!

Serene
Posted to rec.food.preserving

"D.L." > wrote in message
> Hello Group,
>
> I would like to introduce myself. My name is Ann and I live in Tennessee.
>
> We are in a severe drought here so my husband has been watering our garden
> twice a day.
>
> I am married and have 1 grown son, no grandchildren yet.
>
> I like to b described as a stay at home wife...
> I preserve or put up a lot of the food we eat.
> Such as:
> applesauce, peaches, fruit cocktail, green beans, canned corn, canned
> sweet
> potatoes, white potatoes, dill pickles, sweet bread and butter pickles,
> salsa, tomatoes, tomato sauce, beef stew, split pea soup, chicken soup,
> mexican chicken soup, chicken broth, beef broth, canned chicken, canned
> beef, canned pork, spaghetti meat sauce, taco meat, chili meat, kidney
> beans, bean soup, pork and beans, pickled beets, dill relish, gren tomato
> pickles,white beans, yellow wax beans, preserves, italian beef and I will
> try a few new things this year.

Welcome, Ann. I'm so impressed with your canning list! I've canned some of
the items on your list, but nowhere near what you've done.

Would you mind posting your recipes for mexican chicken soup and italian
beef? Last year I did some meat-based dishes and I really like the
convenience of having most of a meal sitting on my pantry shelf.

Also, have you entered any of your canned goods in your local fair? Some of
us here do and we love to brag about our results.

Anny

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Anny Middon wrote:

> Also, have you entered any of your canned goods in your local fair?
> Some of us here do and we love to brag about our results.

As well you should!

B/
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Sat, 30 Jun 2007 11:14:05 -0700, Serene >
wrote:

>D.L. wrote:
>
>> I like to b described as a stay at home wife...

>I call myself an "alternative housewife". :-)
>
>> I preserve or put up a lot of the food we eat.
>> Such as:
>> applesauce, peaches, fruit cocktail, green beans, canned corn, canned sweet
>> potatoes, white potatoes, dill pickles, sweet bread and butter pickles,
>> salsa, tomatoes, tomato sauce, beef stew, split pea soup, chicken soup,
>> mexican chicken soup, chicken broth, beef broth, canned chicken, canned
>> beef, canned pork, spaghetti meat sauce, taco meat, chili meat, kidney
>> beans, bean soup, pork and beans, pickled beets, dill relish, gren tomato
>> pickles,white beans, yellow wax beans, preserves, italian beef and I will
>> try a few new things this year.
>>
>> I also make my own bread, hamburger buns, beef buns, make homemade mixes for
>> baking. I also make my own spice and seasoning mixes.

>I'm so impressed with you. I'm working on it. Just this minute, I
>ordered the Ball Blue Book, and I do make all our bread, but the
>only thing I've ever canned was several pints of *delicious* citrus
>jelly last year. What I'd love to do is make most or all of our
>condiments -- pickles, jams, chutney, relish, hot sauce, etc.
>
>Anyway, I'm mostly a lurker/reader here, but welcome!
>
>Serene

First - Welcome to the group Ann. I'm mostly a lurker myself.

Serene -

Relish - I made this one last year and everyone who tried it liked it.
The next door neighbor called it "kick ass"

http://www.cooks.com/rec/doc/0,1736,...243192,00.html

Pickles - http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,191,...237202,00.html

Chutney -
http://www.riverford.co.uk/recipes/r...id=111&catid=9

I grated the ginger and used crushed chilies rather than steeping in a
cloth bag. I also used a blend of cider and malt vinegars. This makes
a lot of chutney - around 20 pints. It's really good with curried
chicken (my own curry blend, of course).

As you can tel, iI had a lot of green tomatoes last fall.

- Mark
Posted to rec.food.preserving

wrote:
> On Sat, 30 Jun 2007 11:14:05 -0700, Serene >
> wrote:

>> Just this minute, I
>> ordered the Ball Blue Book, and I do make all our bread, but the
>> only thing I've ever canned was several pints of *delicious* citrus
>> jelly last year. What I'd love to do is make most or all of our
>> condiments -- pickles, jams, chutney, relish, hot sauce, etc.
>>
>> Anyway, I'm mostly a lurker/reader here, but welcome!

<snip>

> Relish - I made this one last year and everyone who tried it liked it.
> The next door neighbor called it "kick ass"

http://www.cooks.com/rec/doc/0,1736,...243192,00.html

> Pickles - http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,191,...237202,00.html
>
> Chutney -
> http://www.riverford.co.uk/recipes/r...id=111&catid=9

Thank you! That's great. I'm going to pring out those recipes and
add them to my list of things to try. I'm really on a domestic jag
lately, and there's only so much bread and toffee our household
needs. :-)

Next weekend, Guy and I plan to make jelly from the citrus fruits on
his land. We'll also, if there are enough plums to do it, try plum
jam. In addition, Carin's cactuses have lots of fruit right now, so
I may try prickly pear jelly, and I've promised Carol I will do
jalapeno jelly (I got a recipe from this group for that).

I'm excited about it.

Serene

introducing myself Jaclyn[_2_] General Cooking 37 23-06-2010 03:29 AM
Introducing myself Anj Preserving 16 14-07-2009 08:52 PM
Introducing Myself... Lupine Predator Barbecue 11 08-07-2008 04:24 PM
New Member - Introducing myself Gabbygurrl General Cooking 34 23-02-2007 05:22 PM
Introducing the First Virtual Tea-Salon Conde-do-Cha Tea 0 25-11-2003 11:38 PM