Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Melba's Jamming

Well, as Barb has said, she got here late Tuesday afternoon due to bad
weather in Houston. We waited at our local runway patiently while
visiting with other folks waiting. Unfortunately her bag didn't make it
until yesterday morning so she and I had to go back after it.

Later yesterday she and I went shopping at my favorite supermarket.
Another incident occured there, I had a sugar low and had to drink one
of the full strength cokes Barb had in her shopping cart. One of the
store managers was nearby and I proceeded to rag him about the store
while we were sitting at a table in the deli area. Our store gives away
free coffee to shoppers but we abstained having had a large pot earlier
in the morning.

I've never had a visitor who persisted in shooting still pictures and
videos of me cooking, running the food processor, etc. I'm sure there
will be a new section on her web page when she gets back home. She's
really good to cook for as she is enthusiastic about all the dishes.
She, my wife, and I polished off most of a large moussaka, a bowl of
hummos, and another of taboole last night and several toasted pieces of
khobiz or pita, depending upon country of origin. Khobiz is the literal
transliteration of the Arabic word for bread and is pronounced "hobs."

Barb and Miz Anne, my handler and wife, hit it off immediately and
became fast friends. Barb is also easy to entertain. I guess after
Minnesota's winter our 80-90F weather is a relief and so is the air
conditioning. She is a joy to be around. Even Sleepy Dawg Shirley, our
resident rat terrier likes her and they get along fine napping on the
couch together. <VBG>

Today we are canning, in the pressure canner, black-eyed peas, a staple
of life in the south. I put dried peas on to soak last night and today
we will can about four pints of them. Now canned blackeyes sell for
about 49 cents for a #2 can at the market but I like to can my own as I
control the additives that way. Any dried pea or bean can be pressure
canned if soaked in advance and then treated as though it were a fresh
produce. I may wear my fancy apron and chef's hat while running this
advanced seminar but the flouncy frock, high heels, and pearls are at
the cleaners this week so she will see me in my usual, for this time of
year, shorts, tee shirt, and sneakers. Will probably get some forties
music going on the XM radio channels our satellite TV provider has or
might even put some sixties stuff on for Barb, depends on what she likes.

Life is good and we're having fun.

George

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"George Shirley" > wrote in message
> Well, as Barb has said, she got here late Tuesday afternoon due to bad
> weather in Houston. We waited at our local runway patiently while visiting
> with other folks waiting. Unfortunately her bag didn't make it until
> yesterday morning so she and I had to go back after it.
>
> Later yesterday she and I went shopping at my favorite supermarket.
> Another incident occured there, I had a sugar low and had to drink one of
> the full strength cokes Barb had in her shopping cart. One of the store
> managers was nearby and I proceeded to rag him about the store while we
> were sitting at a table in the deli area. Our store gives away free coffee
> to shoppers but we abstained having had a large pot earlier in the
> morning.
>
> I've never had a visitor who persisted in shooting still pictures and
> videos of me cooking, running the food processor, etc. I'm sure there will
> be a new section on her web page when she gets back home. She's really
> good to cook for as she is enthusiastic about all the dishes. She, my
> wife, and I polished off most of a large moussaka, a bowl of hummos, and
> another of taboole last night and several toasted pieces of khobiz or
> pita, depending upon country of origin. Khobiz is the literal
> transliteration of the Arabic word for bread and is pronounced "hobs."
>
> Barb and Miz Anne, my handler and wife, hit it off immediately and became
> fast friends. Barb is also easy to entertain. I guess after Minnesota's
> winter our 80-90F weather is a relief and so is the air conditioning. She
> is a joy to be around. Even Sleepy Dawg Shirley, our resident rat terrier
> likes her and they get along fine napping on the couch together. <VBG>
>
> Today we are canning, in the pressure canner, black-eyed peas, a staple of
> life in the south. I put dried peas on to soak last night and today we
> will can about four pints of them. Now canned blackeyes sell for about 49
> cents for a #2 can at the market but I like to can my own as I control the
> additives that way. Any dried pea or bean can be pressure canned if soaked
> in advance and then treated as though it were a fresh produce. I may wear
> my fancy apron and chef's hat while running this advanced seminar but the
> flouncy frock, high heels, and pearls are at the cleaners this week so she
> will see me in my usual, for this time of year, shorts, tee shirt, and
> sneakers. Will probably get some forties music going on the XM radio
> channels our satellite TV provider has or might even put some sixties
> stuff on for Barb, depends on what she likes.
>
> Life is good and we're having fun.

Thanks for the updates, George, and please pass thanks on to Barb. I'm one
of the many who are reading your posts with more than a touch of envy.

About the canned beans -- do you bring them to a boil before you put them in
jars, or do they go into the pressure canner at room temp? I think the
recipes I have always want you to cook the beans and then can them hot,
which works great for soup, but I was thinking maybe not so good for just
beans.

Anny

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Anny Middon wrote:
> [...]
>>flouncy frock, high heels, and pearls are at the cleaners this week so she
>>will see me in my usual, for this time of year, shorts, tee shirt, and
>>sneakers. Will probably get some forties music going on the XM radio
>>channels our satellite TV provider has or might even put some sixties
>>stuff on for Barb, depends on what she likes.
>>
>>Life is good and we're having fun.
>>

> Thanks for the updates, George, and please pass thanks on to Barb. I'm one
> of the many who are reading your posts with more than a touch of envy.
>
> About the canned beans -- do you bring them to a boil before you put them in
> jars, or do they go into the pressure canner at room temp? I think the
> recipes I have always want you to cook the beans and then can them hot,
> which works great for soup, but I was thinking maybe not so good for just

Nope, can according to cold pack for fresh peas/beans. Place in sterile
jar, cover with boiling water, then pressure can according to pressure
and time.

George

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On May 24, 9:15 am, "Anny Middon" >
wrote:
> "George Shirley" > wrote in message

> > Well, as Barb has said, she got here late Tuesday afternoon due to bad
> > weather in Houston. We waited at our local runway patiently while visiting
> > with other folks waiting. Unfortunately her bag didn't make it until
> > yesterday morning so she and I had to go back after it.

> > Later yesterday she and I went shopping at my favorite supermarket.
> > Another incident occured there, I had a sugar low and had to drink one of
> > the full strength cokes Barb had in her shopping cart. One of the store
> > managers was nearby and I proceeded to rag him about the store while we
> > were sitting at a table in the deli area. Our store gives away free coffee
> > to shoppers but we abstained having had a large pot earlier in the
> > morning.

> > I've never had a visitor who persisted in shooting still pictures and
> > videos of me cooking, running the food processor, etc. I'm sure there will
> > be a new section on her web page when she gets back home. She's really
> > good to cook for as she is enthusiastic about all the dishes. She, my
> > wife, and I polished off most of a large moussaka, a bowl of hummos, and
> > another of taboole last night and several toasted pieces of khobiz or
> > pita, depending upon country of origin. Khobiz is the literal
> > transliteration of the Arabic word for bread and is pronounced "hobs."

> > Barb and Miz Anne, my handler and wife, hit it off immediately and became
> > fast friends. Barb is also easy to entertain. I guess after Minnesota's
> > winter our 80-90F weather is a relief and so is the air conditioning. She
> > is a joy to be around. Even Sleepy Dawg Shirley, our resident rat terrier
> > likes her and they get along fine napping on the couch together. <VBG>

> > Today we are canning, in the pressure canner, black-eyed peas, a staple of
> > life in the south. I put dried peas on to soak last night and today we
> > will can about four pints of them. Now canned blackeyes sell for about 49
> > cents for a #2 can at the market but I like to can my own as I control the
> > additives that way. Any dried pea or bean can be pressure canned if soaked
> > in advance and then treated as though it were a fresh produce. I may wear
> > my fancy apron and chef's hat while running this advanced seminar but the
> > flouncy frock, high heels, and pearls are at the cleaners this week so she
> > will see me in my usual, for this time of year, shorts, tee shirt, and
> > sneakers. Will probably get some forties music going on the XM radio
> > channels our satellite TV provider has or might even put some sixties
> > stuff on for Barb, depends on what she likes.

> > Life is good and we're having fun.

> Thanks for the updates, George, and please pass thanks on to Barb. I'm one
> of the many who are reading your posts with more than a touch of envy.

> Anny

We got the beans in and out of the canner with Chief Jorge at the helm
and me being the On Site Photojournalist. I'm telliin' ya, he cuts a
fine figure in his pearls. I'm gonna be rich off'n my pictures.

I've told him that he's to put my name on his jar lifter so that it
doesn't wind up in the trash when he croaks. It's a beaut. A 45-year-
old (at least, I'm thinking) Grip-Tite number. Dayam! Nothing like
the rubberized Ball jar lifter that's so common today. This one is a
gravity lifter and I'm lusting after it.

Lunch is imminent and we're going to do Round 2 on last night's
dinner. Ohbabyohbaby! It's going to be the moussaka he's been
bragging about, tabbouleh, and the rest of the hummous. Propriety
demands, I guess, that I leave some for Miz Anne.

Our canning seminar is finished and I feel like I've sat at the feet
of The Master.

This is good!

-Barb

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default blackeyed peas

George Shirley wrote:
> [...]
>>> get some forties music going on the XM radio channels our satellite
>>> TV provider has or might even put some sixties stuff on for Barb,
>>> depends on what she likes.
>>>
>>> Life is good and we're having fun.
>>>

>> Thanks for the updates, George, and please pass thanks on to Barb.
>> I'm one of the many who are reading your posts with more than a touch
>> of envy.
>>
>> About the canned beans -- do you bring them to a boil before you put
>> them in jars, or do they go into the pressure canner at room temp? I
>> think the recipes I have always want you to cook the beans and then
>> can them hot, which works great for soup, but I was thinking maybe not
>> so good for just beans.
>>
>> Anny
>>

> Nope, can according to cold pack for fresh peas/beans. Place in sterile
> jar, cover with boiling water, then pressure can according to pressure

I thought you'd have to cook them for about 5 minutes and then pack them
hot, just so they won't absorb all the water in the jar (like my
fresh-dried cranberry beans did when I canned them 2 years ago.) At
least that's what I was planning to try next time. They'd still be raw
after 5 minutes, but maybe they would be about through soaking up all
available water by then.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.preserving
KW KW is offline

"zxcvbob" > wrote in message
> George Shirley wrote:
> > Anny Middon wrote:

> >> Thanks for the updates, George, and please pass thanks on to Barb.
> >> I'm one of the many who are reading your posts with more than a touch
> >> of envy.
> >>
> >> About the canned beans -- do you bring them to a boil before you put
> >> them in jars, or do they go into the pressure canner at room temp? I
> >> think the recipes I have always want you to cook the beans and then
> >> can them hot, which works great for soup, but I was thinking maybe not
> >> so good for just beans.
> >>
> >> Anny
> >>

> > Nope, can according to cold pack for fresh peas/beans. Place in sterile
> > jar, cover with boiling water, then pressure can according to pressure
> > and time.
> >
> > George
> >

> I thought you'd have to cook them for about 5 minutes and then pack them
> hot, just so they won't absorb all the water in the jar (like my
> fresh-dried cranberry beans did when I canned them 2 years ago.) At
> least that's what I was planning to try next time. They'd still be raw
> after 5 minutes, but maybe they would be about through soaking up all
> available water by then.
>
> Bob

IIRC, George and Barb soaked the BEP's overnight before canning them.

KW

Posted to rec.food.preserving

zxcvbob wrote:
> George Shirley wrote:
>
>> Anny Middon wrote:

>>> Thanks for the updates, George, and please pass thanks on to Barb.
>>> I'm one of the many who are reading your posts with more than a touch
>>> of envy.
>>>
>>> About the canned beans -- do you bring them to a boil before you put
>>> them in jars, or do they go into the pressure canner at room temp? I
>>> think the recipes I have always want you to cook the beans and then
>>> can them hot, which works great for soup, but I was thinking maybe
>>> not so good for just beans.
>>>
>>> Anny
>>>

>> Nope, can according to cold pack for fresh peas/beans. Place in
>> sterile jar, cover with boiling water, then pressure can according to
>> pressure and time.
>>
>> George
>>

> I thought you'd have to cook them for about 5 minutes and then pack them
> hot, just so they won't absorb all the water in the jar (like my
> fresh-dried cranberry beans did when I canned them 2 years ago.) At
> least that's what I was planning to try next time. They'd still be raw
> after 5 minutes, but maybe they would be about through soaking up all
> available water by then.
>
> Bob

I soaked one lb of peas (2 cups) from about 6pm one night until about 9
am the next day. There was still liquid water in the soaking pot. then I
poured off the soaking water and rinsed the peas thoroughly. Put them
into hot pint jars to about 1 1/2 inches from the top without packing,
poured boiling water over them to within a half inch of the top, put on
the hot lids, hand tightened the rings and put them in the canner. Water
in the canner was pretty hot and reached over the mid-point on the peas.
Let steam run through the vent for about 5 minutes or a little over and
then put the jiggler on. My old canner has a 17 lb jiggler that just
lets you know the pressure is to high, I use a steam gauge canner. Got
the pressure up to 11 lbs and tried to hold it there for 35 minutes.
Once the time was up let the canner cool naturally until pressure was at
zero again, removed the lid and tossed a tea towel over the open canner
for about 5 minutes, then removed the jars to a folded towel with the
old Grip-Tite jar lifter Barb is lusting after. The jars sit undisturbed
for 24-hours then I take the rings off, wash the jars with a wet cloth
to get any calcium deposits off (the canner water has 5% USP white
vinegar, two tablespoons in it to neutralize the calcium). then I label
the lids with a Sharpy, date the jar and put them in the pantry.

When canning peas and beans, even fresh ones, a goodly bit of the water
poured over them will get absorbed by the produce. When you open a jar
to heat them just add back a little water and proceed as normal. If you
buy a can of black-eyed peas you will find that the water in the can is
not at full liquid and you might have to add a bit. At least that has
been my experience over the last sixty years. HTH

George

Posted to rec.food.preserving

KW wrote:

> "zxcvbob" > wrote in message
>
>>George Shirley wrote:

>>>Nope, can according to cold pack for fresh peas/beans. Place in sterile
>>>jar, cover with boiling water, then pressure can according to pressure
>>>and time.
>>>
>>>George
>>>

>>I thought you'd have to cook them for about 5 minutes and then pack them
>>hot, just so they won't absorb all the water in the jar (like my
>>fresh-dried cranberry beans did when I canned them 2 years ago.) At
>>least that's what I was planning to try next time. They'd still be raw
>>after 5 minutes, but maybe they would be about through soaking up all
>>available water by then.
>>
>>Bob

> IIRC, George and Barb soaked the BEP's overnight before canning them.
>
> KW

Yuppers, you got it right.

George

Posted to rec.food.preserving

KW wrote:
> "zxcvbob" > wrote in message
>> George Shirley wrote:

>>> Nope, can according to cold pack for fresh peas/beans. Place in sterile
>>> jar, cover with boiling water, then pressure can according to pressure
>>> and time.
>>>
>>> George
>>>

>> I thought you'd have to cook them for about 5 minutes and then pack them
>> hot, just so they won't absorb all the water in the jar (like my
>> fresh-dried cranberry beans did when I canned them 2 years ago.) At
>> least that's what I was planning to try next time. They'd still be raw
>> after 5 minutes, but maybe they would be about through soaking up all
>> available water by then.
>>
>> Bob

> IIRC, George and Barb soaked the BEP's overnight before canning them.
>
> KW

I know that. I meant parboil them after soaking and before packing the
jars. :-)

Bob
Posted to rec.food.preserving

George Shirley wrote:
> zxcvbob wrote:
>> George Shirley wrote:

>>> Nope, can according to cold pack for fresh peas/beans. Place in
>>> sterile jar, cover with boiling water, then pressure can according to
>>> pressure and time.
>>>
>>> George
>>>

>> I thought you'd have to cook them for about 5 minutes and then pack
>> them hot, just so they won't absorb all the water in the jar (like my
>> fresh-dried cranberry beans did when I canned them 2 years ago.) At
>> least that's what I was planning to try next time. They'd still be
>> raw after 5 minutes, but maybe they would be about through soaking up
>> all available water by then.
>>
>> Bob

> I soaked one lb of peas (2 cups) from about 6pm one night until about 9
> am the next day. There was still liquid water in the soaking pot. then I
> poured off the soaking water and rinsed the peas thoroughly. Put them
> into hot pint jars to about 1 1/2 inches from the top without packing,
> poured boiling water over them to within a half inch of the top, put on
> the hot lids, hand tightened the rings and put them in the canner. Water
> in the canner was pretty hot and reached over the mid-point on the peas.
> Let steam run through the vent for about 5 minutes or a little over and
> then put the jiggler on. My old canner has a 17 lb jiggler that just
> lets you know the pressure is to high, I use a steam gauge canner. Got
> the pressure up to 11 lbs and tried to hold it there for 35 minutes.
> Once the time was up let the canner cool naturally until pressure was at
> zero again, removed the lid and tossed a tea towel over the open canner
> for about 5 minutes, then removed the jars to a folded towel with the
> old Grip-Tite jar lifter Barb is lusting after. The jars sit undisturbed
> for 24-hours then I take the rings off, wash the jars with a wet cloth
> to get any calcium deposits off (the canner water has 5% USP white
> vinegar, two tablespoons in it to neutralize the calcium). then I label
> the lids with a Sharpy, date the jar and put them in the pantry.
>
> When canning peas and beans, even fresh ones, a goodly bit of the water
> poured over them will get absorbed by the produce. When you open a jar
> to heat them just add back a little water and proceed as normal. If you
> buy a can of black-eyed peas you will find that the water in the can is
> not at full liquid and you might have to add a bit. At least that has
> been my experience over the last sixty years. HTH
>
> George

I think maybe I just filled my jars too full before covering them with
boiling water. They still turned out really good, but not something I
would enter in the county fair cuz they didn't look right.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.preserving

zxcvbob wrote:
> George Shirley wrote:
>
>> zxcvbob wrote:

>>> I thought you'd have to cook them for about 5 minutes and then pack
>>> them hot, just so they won't absorb all the water in the jar (like my
>>> fresh-dried cranberry beans did when I canned them 2 years ago.) At
>>> least that's what I was planning to try next time. They'd still be
>>> raw after 5 minutes, but maybe they would be about through soaking up
>>> all available water by then.
>>>
>>> Bob

>> I soaked one lb of peas (2 cups) from about 6pm one night until about
>> 9 am the next day. There was still liquid water in the soaking pot.
>> then I poured off the soaking water and rinsed the peas thoroughly.
>> Put them into hot pint jars to about 1 1/2 inches from the top without
>> packing, poured boiling water over them to within a half inch of the
>> top, put on the hot lids, hand tightened the rings and put them in the
>> canner. Water in the canner was pretty hot and reached over the
>> mid-point on the peas. Let steam run through the vent for about 5
>> minutes or a little over and then put the jiggler on. My old canner
>> has a 17 lb jiggler that just lets you know the pressure is to high, I
>> use a steam gauge canner. Got the pressure up to 11 lbs and tried to
>> hold it there for 35 minutes. Once the time was up let the canner cool
>> naturally until pressure was at zero again, removed the lid and tossed
>> a tea towel over the open canner for about 5 minutes, then removed the
>> jars to a folded towel with the old Grip-Tite jar lifter Barb is
>> lusting after. The jars sit undisturbed for 24-hours then I take the
>> rings off, wash the jars with a wet cloth to get any calcium deposits
>> off (the canner water has 5% USP white vinegar, two tablespoons in it
>> to neutralize the calcium). then I label the lids with a Sharpy, date
>> the jar and put them in the pantry.
>>
>> When canning peas and beans, even fresh ones, a goodly bit of the
>> water poured over them will get absorbed by the produce. When you open
>> a jar to heat them just add back a little water and proceed as normal.
>> If you buy a can of black-eyed peas you will find that the water in
>> the can is not at full liquid and you might have to add a bit. At
>> least that has been my experience over the last sixty years. HTH
>>
>> George
>>

> I think maybe I just filled my jars too full before covering them with
> boiling water. They still turned out really good, but not something I
> would enter in the county fair cuz they didn't look right.
>
> Bob

Well, you can have pretty peas to enter in the fair or good peas to eat
for dinner tonight. Sometimes you can get both. I have canned fresh peas
and beans and had the same results. I would think that the commercial
producers thereof probably cook them pretty good and then retort them
and put a lid on and sell them. That may account for all the liquid in
them. If an old friend of mine still worked at the cannery I could send
him an email and check but he's now a clinical psychologist and
disinterested in canning. <G>

George

TN: French, Spanish, and Italian wines- some jammy, some jamming DaleW Wine 0 20-09-2011 03:06 PM
Jamming Dave Smith[_1_] General Cooking 9 26-06-2009 02:09 AM
Thanks, Melba! Puester General Cooking 1 28-02-2008 06:48 AM
Oh Melba... BOB General Cooking 5 05-12-2006 06:51 AM
Somebody feed Melba this. Andy General Cooking 5 18-11-2006 12:17 AM