Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Jamming

I wasn't going to bother making strawberry jam this year because I still
have lots left over from last year. When I had lunch with my son on
Father's Day I asked him if he wanted me to make some for him. He loves
strawberry jam and when he used to come to visit I would send a jar or
two home with him. Now that he is living closer to home I can send a
larger amount with him.

Yesterday afternoon I had some errands to run. I stopped at the local
fruit stand to check out the berries. They had some nice small, dark red
berries, nice and sweet and not bloated with water. I got a few quarts
and raced home and made a batch of jam.

Now I have a dilemma. I have at least a dozen jars left over from last
year, but that batch was somewhat disappointing. So I have to decide
whether to give him some of last years in order to get rid of it, or to
give him this year's, which turned out to be excellent. Maybe I will
compromise and give him some of each and advice him to use the old stuff
first.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith said...

> I wasn't going to bother making strawberry jam this year because I still
> have lots left over from last year. When I had lunch with my son on
> Father's Day I asked him if he wanted me to make some for him. He loves
> strawberry jam and when he used to come to visit I would send a jar or
> two home with him. Now that he is living closer to home I can send a
> larger amount with him.
>
> Yesterday afternoon I had some errands to run. I stopped at the local
> fruit stand to check out the berries. They had some nice small, dark red
> berries, nice and sweet and not bloated with water. I got a few quarts
> and raced home and made a batch of jam.
>
> Now I have a dilemma. I have at least a dozen jars left over from last
> year, but that batch was somewhat disappointing. So I have to decide
> whether to give him some of last years in order to get rid of it, or to
> give him this year's, which turned out to be excellent. Maybe I will
> compromise and give him some of each and advice him to use the old stuff
> first.

How about gift a couple of last and this years batches together? He
probably won't complain.

I wouldn't.

Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Dave Smith > wrote:
> give him this year's, which turned out to be excellent. Maybe I will
> compromise and give him some of each and advice him to use the old stuff
> first.

FIFO, Dave. What he doesn't know won't hurt you. :-)
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - good news 4-6-2009
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article >,
> Dave Smith > wrote:
>> give him this year's, which turned out to be excellent. Maybe I will
>> compromise and give him some of each and advice him to use the old stuff
>> first.

> FIFO, Dave. What he doesn't know won't hurt you. :-)

So was that FIFO for "first in, first out" :-)

Bob
Member

Location: Bartonsville, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Smith[_1_] View Post
[...]

While the jam can remain edible up to three years (maximum, under ideal conditions), it is best eaten within one year. After that it tends to begin losing it's flavor and color.

Jim

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 24 Jun 2009 14:15:30 -0400, Dave Smith wrote:

> I wasn't going to bother making strawberry jam this year because I still
> have lots left over from last year. When I had lunch with my son on
> Father's Day I asked him if he wanted me to make some for him. He loves
> strawberry jam and when he used to come to visit I would send a jar or
> two home with him. Now that he is living closer to home I can send a
> larger amount with him.
>
> Yesterday afternoon I had some errands to run. I stopped at the local
> fruit stand to check out the berries. They had some nice small, dark red
> berries, nice and sweet and not bloated with water. I got a few quarts
> and raced home and made a batch of jam.
>
> Now I have a dilemma. I have at least a dozen jars left over from last
> year, but that batch was somewhat disappointing. So I have to decide
> whether to give him some of last years in order to get rid of it, or to
> give him this year's, which turned out to be excellent. Maybe I will
> compromise and give him some of each and advice him to use the old stuff
> first.

that sounds a reasonable compromise. he might not find last year's batch
as disappointing as you did.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy wrote:

>> Now I have a dilemma. I have at least a dozen jars left over from last
>> year, but that batch was somewhat disappointing. So I have to decide
>> whether to give him some of last years in order to get rid of it, or to
>> give him this year's, which turned out to be excellent. Maybe I will
>> compromise and give him some of each and advice him to use the old stuff
>> first.

> that sounds a reasonable compromise. he might not find last year's batch
> as disappointing as you did.

That's the way I figure it. Even though it isn't my best, it's better
than store bought, and he isn't likely to be making any himself. I would
prefer to use up the old stock because it does not have an indefinite
shelf life.

I am going to have to go through my old jams and throw out some of the
old stuff. In the past I made way too much. There are some that have
been there for more than 10 years. I'm not going to take a chance on it.
It seems such a waste. I guess that when I first got into making jam I
was ready to try everything, strawberry, raspberry, peach, plum, sweet
cherry, sour cherry, pear and ginger. I made way more than I can ever
eat. My wife rarely eats jam and the boy moved out 10 years ago.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article > ,
Dave Smith > wrote:
> That's the way I figure it. Even though it isn't my best, it's better
> than store bought,

BINGO!!

> and he isn't likely to be making any himself. I would
> prefer to use up the old stock because it does not have an indefinite
> shelf life.
>
> I am going to have to go through my old jams and throw out some of the
> old stuff. In the past I made way too much. There are some that have
> been there for more than 10 years. I'm not going to take a chance on it.
> It seems such a waste.

(snip)

What's your concern about the age of the jam, Dave? If it is still
sealed and was properly processed and stored (cool, dark place), you
shouldn't have any problems with it, even if it's been around for some
years. It will have lost quality and, likely, color may have changed
some, but as far as *wholesomeness* goes, it would be safe to eat.

*** You're not going to get botulism from it. It won't have molded if
it was sealed properly. ***

By the way, I'd toss it, too. If you've got any that's no more than,
say, four years old and you enjoyed it when you made it, don't chuck all
of it without tasting a bit ‹ it could well be worth keeping around.

Mix some chipotle pepper (chopped), onions, garlic, and vinegar with the
cherry jams and you'll have a very nice condiment for grilled meat.
Same with the peach or plum jams. Cut the sweet with vinegar and have
some very acceptable dipping sauces or glazes for chicken, egg rolls,
pork chops.

Waste not, want not. "-)

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - good news 4-6-2009
"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle."
-Philo of Alexandria
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

>> I am going to have to go through my old jams and throw out some of the
>> old stuff. In the past I made way too much. There are some that have
>> been there for more than 10 years. I'm not going to take a chance on it.
>> It seems such a waste.

> (snip)
>
> What's your concern about the age of the jam, Dave? If it is still
> sealed and was properly processed and stored (cool, dark place), you
> shouldn't have any problems with it, even if it's been around for some
> years. It will have lost quality and, likely, color may have changed
> some, but as far as *wholesomeness* goes, it would be safe to eat.
>
> *** You're not going to get botulism from it. It won't have molded if
> it was sealed properly. ***
>
> By the way, I'd toss it, too. If you've got any that's no more than,
> say, four years old and you enjoyed it when you made it, don't chuck all
> of it without tasting a bit ‹ it could well be worth keeping around.

The plum shame is probably 15 years old and the sweet cherry more than 10.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article > ,
Dave Smith > wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> > By the way, I'd toss it, too. If you've got any that's no more than,
> > say, four years old and you enjoyed it when you made it, don't chuck all
> > of it without tasting a bit Ð it could well be worth keeping around.

> The plum shame is probably 15 years old and the sweet cherry more than 10.

I toss them and promise to not make the same mistake again. :-)
Even if you won't get botulism poisoning. :-)