Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Muscadine grapes.

We just picked about 24 pounds of muscadines today. Right now I am
making juice with the Mehu Liisa. I will probably make 2 or 3 batches
of jelly and then can the rest as juice. Right now it is going into
the freezer until I have more time. Besides, entries for next year's
Fair must be made after Oct. 15.

Back to work. The pressure canner is cooling off with my pint jars of
pinto beans. I do hope they all seal. I think I may get some dry
black beans and can them in pint jars. Must do a little math and see
whether it is going to cost me lots more to do that rather than buy
the cans in the grocery.
--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default pinto beans (was: Muscadine grapes.

The Cook wrote:

> Back to work. The pressure canner is cooling off with my pint jars of
> pinto beans. I do hope they all seal. I think I may get some dry
> black beans and can them in pint jars. Must do a little math and see
> whether it is going to cost me lots more to do that rather than buy
> the cans in the grocery.

I assume these were dried beans rather than fresh. Do you fully cook
them before canning, or just soak and then maybe parboil before you fill
the jars?

Bob
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Sun, 08 Oct 2006 14:47:19 -0500, zxcvbob >
wrote:

>The Cook wrote:
>>
>> Back to work. The pressure canner is cooling off with my pint jars of
>> pinto beans. I do hope they all seal. I think I may get some dry
>> black beans and can them in pint jars. Must do a little math and see
>> whether it is going to cost me lots more to do that rather than buy
>> the cans in the grocery.

>I assume these were dried beans rather than fresh. Do you fully cook
>them before canning, or just soak and then maybe parboil before you fill
>the jars?
>
>Bob

Yes, the pintos were dried. This year's crop. I did the 2 minute
boil and the let them sit for 1 hour. The drain, add fresh water and
cook for 30 minutes.

They are out of the canner and all have sealed. One of the quart jars
I did on Friday did not seal. Supper tonight with cole slaw and
cornbread.
--
Susan N.

Muscadine jelly George Shirley Preserving 4 01-09-2007 01:36 PM
Tart Muscadine bwesley8 Winemaking 1 03-06-2006 07:56 PM
Muscadine Second-Run bwesley8 Winemaking 2 19-09-2005 06:42 PM
muscadine grapes Elmer H. Fuddd Winemaking 1 19-08-2005 11:51 PM
Foam on Muscadine Must Greg Winemaking 6 13-09-2004 12:12 AM