Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Need help canning peppers in oil

I have a box of goathorn peppers I would like to can (like Mama Lil's).
I have read that canning in oil is not to be done, Sooooo, I contacted
Mama Lil's and the person I spoke with said it can be done. What I was
told is to pickle some garlic (to add acidity. Question here; Do I
pickle the garlic then process in a HWB?) Then pour brine over the
peppers, drain, then pack in jars with oil garlic and spices. Then
process in a HWB until internal temp is 170 degrees. Any help would be
greatly appreciated,,,,,if you have a recipe that would be appreciated
as well.
Thanks for your time in advance.
Suzi

Posted to rec.food.preserving

> wrote in message
ups.com...
>I have a box of goathorn peppers I would like to can (like Mama Lil's).
> I have read that canning in oil is not to be done, Sooooo, I contacted
> Mama Lil's and the person I spoke with said it can be done. What I was
> told is to pickle some garlic (to add acidity. Question here; Do I
> pickle the garlic then process in a HWB?) Then pour brine over the
> peppers, drain, then pack in jars with oil garlic and spices. Then
> process in a HWB until internal temp is 170 degrees. Any help would be
> greatly appreciated,,,,,if you have a recipe that would be appreciated
> as well.
> Thanks for your time in advance.
> Suzi

This actually sounds like a recipe for disaster. The high water content of
the peppers and the lack of oxygen in the oil leave you open for botulism
toxin. One would need to pressure cook the jars for a long time which would
probably totally destroy any texture the pepps were born with.
You might want to consider pickling the pepps, then put a spoonful of
olive oil over the top before sealing & the Boiling Water Bath. I do
jalapenyos that way. Or adding the oil after you've opened them, and keep
in the fridge.
There are many recipes for pickling peppers around. Have you checked our
FAQ? http://www.jaclu.com/rfpFAQ/rfpFAQ.htm
BTW - garlic doesn't add acid - they are not acid hardly at all. Vinegar
adds acid.
Hope this helps in your planning.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Let me clarify,,,,I would be using garlic that has already been
pickled, therefore adding the acid....brine the peppers for 24 hours
first, then draining them...so acid is present
wrote:
> > wrote in message
> ups.com...
> >I have a box of goathorn peppers I would like to can (like Mama Lil's).
> > I have read that canning in oil is not to be done, Sooooo, I contacted
> > Mama Lil's and the person I spoke with said it can be done. What I was
> > told is to pickle some garlic (to add acidity. Question here; Do I
> > pickle the garlic then process in a HWB?) Then pour brine over the
> > peppers, drain, then pack in jars with oil garlic and spices. Then
> > process in a HWB until internal temp is 170 degrees. Any help would be
> > greatly appreciated,,,,,if you have a recipe that would be appreciated
> > as well.
> > Thanks for your time in advance.
> > Suzi
> >

> This actually sounds like a recipe for disaster. The high water content of
> the peppers and the lack of oxygen in the oil leave you open for botulism
> toxin. One would need to pressure cook the jars for a long time which would
> probably totally destroy any texture the pepps were born with.
> You might want to consider pickling the pepps, then put a spoonful of
> olive oil over the top before sealing & the Boiling Water Bath. I do
> jalapenyos that way. Or adding the oil after you've opened them, and keep
> in the fridge.
> There are many recipes for pickling peppers around. Have you checked our
> FAQ?
http://www.jaclu.com/rfpFAQ/rfpFAQ.htm
> BTW - garlic doesn't add acid - they are not acid hardly at all. Vinegar
> adds acid.
> Hope this helps in your planning.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Suzi wrote:
> Let me clarify,,,,I would be using garlic that has already been
> pickled, therefore adding the acid....brine the peppers for 24 hours
> first, then draining them...so acid is present

Brining the peppers doesn't acidify them, it salts them.

I bought a jar of... long Italianish name that starts with a G... hot
pickled vegetables packed in oil, a couple of weeks ago at Aldi. The
stuff is quite good, especially on a hotdog. The ingredients list
doesn't list any vinegar, but they obviously pickled all the vegetables
(carrots, serrano pepper slices, cauliflower, onions, garlic, etc) first
with salt and vinegar (and bay leaf, I think), then drained them and
packed them in oil.

If you do something like that, you'll be OK.

Best regards,
Bob
Posted to rec.food.preserving

"zxcvbob" > wrote in message
> Suzi wrote:
>> Let me clarify,,,,I would be using garlic that has already been
>> pickled, therefore adding the acid....brine the peppers for 24 hours
>> first, then draining them...so acid is present

> Brining the peppers doesn't acidify them, it salts them.
> I bought a jar of... long Italianish name that starts with a G... hot
> pickled vegetables packed in oil, a couple of weeks ago at Aldi. The
> stuff is quite good, especially on a hotdog. The ingredients list doesn't
> list any vinegar, but they obviously pickled all the vegetables (carrots,
> serrano pepper slices, cauliflower, onions, garlic, etc) first with salt
> and vinegar (and bay leaf, I think), then drained them and packed them in
> oil.
> If you do something like that, you'll be OK.
> Best regards,
> Bob

But how long to BWB them? or pasteurize them? Or just to keep
them in the oil in the fridge. Sounds like she had a lot she wanted
to preserve.
Edrena

Posted to rec.food.preserving

I would suggest that you par cook them over a BBQ or in the stove and
de skin them, Then do your standared method of jaring as you would with
jam. Peppers have enough acidity in them to preserve them self in oil
if jared correctly. All I do is de skin them, add garlic and herbs and
pressure seal them.

But as we all know there is a million and one ways of doing
anything....haha

wrote:
> "zxcvbob" > wrote in message
> > Suzi wrote:
> >> Let me clarify,,,,I would be using garlic that has already been
> >> pickled, therefore adding the acid....brine the peppers for 24 hours
> >> first, then draining them...so acid is present

> > Brining the peppers doesn't acidify them, it salts them.
> > I bought a jar of... long Italianish name that starts with a G... hot
> > pickled vegetables packed in oil, a couple of weeks ago at Aldi. The
> > stuff is quite good, especially on a hotdog. The ingredients list doesn't
> > list any vinegar, but they obviously pickled all the vegetables (carrots,
> > serrano pepper slices, cauliflower, onions, garlic, etc) first with salt
> > and vinegar (and bay leaf, I think), then drained them and packed them in
> > oil.
> > If you do something like that, you'll be OK.
> > Best regards,
> > Bob

> But how long to BWB them? or pasteurize them? Or just to keep
> them in the oil in the fridge. Sounds like she had a lot she wanted
> to preserve.
> Edrena

Posted to rec.food.preserving

oh my goodness!!!!

"personal chef" > wrote in message
ups.com...
>I would suggest that you par cook them over a BBQ or in the stove and
> de skin them, Then do your standared method of jaring as you would with
> jam. Peppers have enough acidity in them to preserve them self in oil
> if jared correctly. All I do is de skin them, add garlic and herbs and
> pressure seal them.
>
> But as we all know there is a million and one ways of doing
> anything....haha
>
> wrote:
>> >

>> > Brining the peppers doesn't acidify them, it salts them.
>> > I bought a jar of... long Italianish name that starts with a G... hot
>> > pickled vegetables packed in oil, a couple of weeks ago at Aldi. The
>> > stuff is quite good, especially on a hotdog. The ingredients list
>> > doesn't
>> > list any vinegar, but they obviously pickled all the vegetables
>> > (carrots,
>> > serrano pepper slices, cauliflower, onions, garlic, etc) first with
>> > salt
>> > and vinegar (and bay leaf, I think), then drained them and packed them
>> > in
>> > oil.
>> > If you do something like that, you'll be OK.
>> > Best regards,
>> > Bob

>> But how long to BWB them? or pasteurize them? Or just to keep
>> them in the oil in the fridge. Sounds like she had a lot she wanted
>> to preserve.
>> Edrena

Posted to rec.food.preserving

http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~comm/lacf-phs.html

-according to that website, peppers have a pH of 4.65 to 5.45 and green
peppers have a pH of 5.20 to 5.93

-and according to safe preserving methods, "the acidity of foods is
measured on the pH scale, which runs between 1 (strongest acidity) and 14
(weakest acidity). " to safely BWB can a food, it must have a ph of 4.6 or
LESS because "acid guards against bacterial growth that is a risk for public
health" I'm quoting from the Barnardin Complete Book of Home Preserving

-therefore, peppers are a low-acid food (pH higher than 4.6) and must be
pressure canned to be safe, or need to be acidified sufficiently to bring
the pH to 4.6 or lower

-Do more research. Address the proper resources and knowledgable people.
DO NOT rely on everything you read in this newsgroup (it's true, most info
here on this group is good, safe and reliable).

-And that's all I have to say about that

Kathi

"personal chef" > wrote in message
ups.com...
>I would suggest that you par cook them over a BBQ or in the stove and
> de skin them, Then do your standared method of jaring as you would with
> jam. Peppers have enough acidity in them to preserve them self in oil
> if jared correctly. All I do is de skin them, add garlic and herbs and
> pressure seal them.
>
> But as we all know there is a million and one ways of doing
> anything....haha
>
> wrote:
>> >

>> > Brining the peppers doesn't acidify them, it salts them.
>> > I bought a jar of... long Italianish name that starts with a G... hot
>> > pickled vegetables packed in oil, a couple of weeks ago at Aldi. The
>> > stuff is quite good, especially on a hotdog. The ingredients list
>> > doesn't
>> > list any vinegar, but they obviously pickled all the vegetables
>> > (carrots,
>> > serrano pepper slices, cauliflower, onions, garlic, etc) first with
>> > salt
>> > and vinegar (and bay leaf, I think), then drained them and packed them
>> > in
>> > oil.
>> > If you do something like that, you'll be OK.
>> > Best regards,
>> > Bob

>> But how long to BWB them? or pasteurize them? Or just to keep
>> them in the oil in the fridge. Sounds like she had a lot she wanted
>> to preserve.
>> Edrena

Posted to rec.food.preserving

> wrote in message
ups.com...
>I have a box of goathorn peppers I would like to can (like Mama Lil's).
> I have read that canning in oil is not to be done, Sooooo, I contacted
> Mama Lil's and the person I spoke with said it can be done. What I was
> told is to pickle some garlic (to add acidity. Question here; Do I
> pickle the garlic then process in a HWB?) Then pour brine over the
> peppers, drain, then pack in jars with oil garlic and spices. Then
> process in a HWB until internal temp is 170 degrees. Any help would be
> greatly appreciated,,,,,if you have a recipe that would be appreciated
> as well.
> Thanks for your time in advance.
> Suzi

This is a very interesting discussion to me.
1.Does oil come to a boil sooner or later than water/vinegar pack?
2.Do we *need* to bring the jarred foods to a boil inside or are we looking
for a different inside temp for a pickelated food? We know that unpicklated
hi pH foods need pressure canning to bring their interiors up to 240F.
Anybody know off the top of their keyboard?
Edrena

Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >,
zxcvbob > wrote:

> Suzi wrote:
> > Let me clarify,,,,I would be using garlic that has already been
> > pickled, therefore adding the acid....brine the peppers for 24 hours
> > first, then draining them...so acid is present

> Brining the peppers doesn't acidify them, it salts them.
>
> I bought a jar of... long Italianish name that starts with a G...

Giardiniera?
HTH

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Ok! The brine I am using for the peppers (24 hour soak) is 50% water
50% vinegar salt...this should acidify them,,,Yes?
Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article >,
> zxcvbob > wrote:
>
> > Suzi wrote:
> > > Let me clarify,,,,I would be using garlic that has already been
> > > pickled, therefore adding the acid....brine the peppers for 24 hours
> > > first, then draining them...so acid is present

> > Brining the peppers doesn't acidify them, it salts them.
> >
> > I bought a jar of... long Italianish name that starts with a G...

> Giardiniera?
> HTH
>
> > Best regards,
> > Bob

> --
> -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
> http://web.mac.com/barbschaller
> http://jamlady.eboard.com

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Suzi wrote:
> Ok! The brine I am using for the peppers (24 hour soak) is 50% water
> 50% vinegar salt...this should acidify them,,,Yes?

Yes, if you soak them long enough. (I don't know what "long enough"
means here.) You would need to pickle *everything* -- garlic, onions, etc.

It would be a lot safer, and I think easier, to just pickle the peppers
normally in pint jars, and as you open them you can drain them and add oil.

Bob

P.S. Yes, "Giardiniera" was the word I was trying to remember :-)
Posted to rec.food.preserving

zxcvbob wrote:
> Suzi wrote:
> > Ok! The brine I am using for the peppers (24 hour soak) is 50% water
> > 50% vinegar salt...this should acidify them,,,Yes?

> Yes, if you soak them long enough. (I don't know what "long enough"
> means here.) You would need to pickle *everything* -- garlic, onions, etc.

Yep....Garlic will be pickled...Dried herbs...

> It would be a lot safer, and I think easier, to just pickle the peppers
> normally in pint jars, and as you open them you can drain them and add oil.

I hope to post again here, after I eat the finished product....
Try "Mama Lil's" peppers,,,you'll understand why I want to make my
peppers this way....The oil that they are packed in I could drink with
a straw....Yummy!

> Bob
>
> P.S. Yes, "Giardiniera" was the word I was trying to remember :-)

Thanks for your reply.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Suzi wrote:
> Ok! The brine I am using for the peppers (24 hour soak) is 50% water
> 50% vinegar salt...this should acidify them,,,Yes?

Last time I asked these folks: http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/ about the issue
because I was trying to put up roasted peppers for a friend with
arthritis the answer came back that they *thought* acidifying the
peppers might work, but they had no idea what strength vinegar to use or
or how long to acidify them.

Translation: Not recommended.

That was a couple years ago, you might want to write to them and ask if
they've changed their minds or run any kind of tests.

Duplicating a commercial product can be frustrating, since commercial
concerns have equipment/materials/techniques *not* available to the home
canner.

Brian "just back from the Dordogne and then Paris and can verify that
dried duck liver sausages are incredibly gamy, incredibly stinky, and
you really don't want to keep them in a small hotel room" Mailman

Canning Hot Peppers [email protected] Preserving 1 03-09-2007 02:17 AM
Canning peppers Gregory Morrow Preserving 16 11-09-2006 01:55 AM
Canning peppers OmManiPadmeOmelet General Cooking 4 14-08-2006 11:29 PM
canning peppers maryg Preserving 5 03-07-2006 05:25 PM
Canning peppers in oil Jer Preserving 31 28-03-2006 03:13 PM