Old 11-09-2006, 12:10 AM posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Steam juicer juice concentration

I just bought a Mehu-Liisa steam juicer.

I have a question about the juice it creates... Does it have to be diluted
or can it usually be used straight?

We have 20-30 lb. of wild cranberries we're juicing today.

Thanks.

Jim in Maine

Old 11-09-2006, 12:26 PM posted to rec.food.preserving

On Sun, 10 Sep 2006 19:10:57 -0400, "Jim" wrote:

I just bought a Mehu-Liisa steam juicer.

I have a question about the juice it creates... Does it have to be diluted
or can it usually be used straight?

We have 20-30 lb. of wild cranberries we're juicing today.

Thanks.

Jim in Maine

I use the juice "as is" for making jelly. You might want to dilute it
for drinking. That would be a matter of taste.

Let's see if Barb Schaller chimes in on this post.
--
Susan N.

Old 11-09-2006, 02:05 PM posted to rec.food.preserving

Jim wrote:
I just bought a Mehu-Liisa steam juicer.

I have a question about the juice it creates... Does it have to be diluted
or can it usually be used straight?

We have 20-30 lb. of wild cranberries we're juicing today.

Thanks.

Jim in Maine

I have one, and I don't like it (you may see it on eBay soon.) The
yield is low and the juice always tastes watery (maybe I'm not doing
something right.) If anything, I have to boil the juice down a little
to concentrate it.

I prefer the old fashioned way of boiling the fruit in a little water
and squeezing it through a muslin bag.

Bob
Old 11-09-2006, 06:06 PM posted to rec.food.preserving

zxcvbob wrote:

Jim wrote:
I just bought a Mehu-Liisa steam juicer.

I have a question about the juice it creates... Does it have to be diluted
or can it usually be used straight?

We have 20-30 lb. of wild cranberries we're juicing today.

Thanks.

Jim in Maine

I have one, and I don't like it (you may see it on eBay soon.) The
yield is low and the juice always tastes watery (maybe I'm not doing
something right.) If anything, I have to boil the juice down a little
to concentrate it.

I prefer the old fashioned way of boiling the fruit in a little water
and squeezing it through a muslin bag.

Bob

I dunno Bob, I think you'd be adding more water that way.
I ran a test some years ago with my Mehu juicer in an attempt to
determine how much water it actually added to the juice through
condensation. I filled the pan with water but added no fruit to the
basket, put on the lid and boiled it for an hour. There is no way that
you could boil any amount of fruit in the water this test produced.

Ross
To email, remove the "obvious" from my address.
Old 11-09-2006, 06:29 PM posted to rec.food.preserving

wrote:
zxcvbob wrote:

Jim wrote:
[...]

I know I'm adding more water, but I think it extracts more flavor and
more pectin by boiling the juice. I don't know why; I like the steam
juicer concept, but I have not been happy at all with the juice it produces.

Bob

Old 11-09-2006, 11:58 PM posted to rec.food.preserving

In article ,
"Jim" wrote:

I just bought a Mehu-Liisa steam juicer.

I have a question about the juice it creates... Does it have to be diluted
or can it usually be used straight?

We have 20-30 lb. of wild cranberries we're juicing today.

Thanks.

Jim in Maine

Use for what?
I don't dilute and I mostly (99.9% of time) use the juice for jelly.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller
Old 11-09-2006, 11:59 PM posted to rec.food.preserving

In article ,
The Cook wrote:

On Sun, 10 Sep 2006 19:10:57 -0400, "Jim" wrote:

I just bought a Mehu-Liisa steam juicer.

I have a question about the juice it creates... Does it have to be diluted
or can it usually be used straight?

We have 20-30 lb. of wild cranberries we're juicing today.

Thanks.

Jim in Maine

I use the juice "as is" for making jelly. You might want to dilute it
for drinking. That would be a matter of taste.

Let's see if Barb Schaller chimes in on this post.

LOL. I just did. I'm in your camp.
Old 14-09-2006, 12:36 AM posted to rec.food.preserving

"Melba's Jammin'" wrote in message
"Jim" wrote:

I just bought a Mehu-Liisa steam juicer.

I have a question about the juice it creates... Does it have to be
diluted
or can it usually be used straight?

We have 20-30 lb. of wild cranberries we're juicing today.

Thanks.

Jim in Maine

Use for what?
I don't dilute and I mostly (99.9% of time) use the juice for jelly.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller
http://jamlady.eboard.com

Used for jelly.

We made wild apple jelly Saturday that turned out very nice. We've juiced
all the wild cranberries and canned the juice to be made into jelly later.
I thought the juice was quite concentrated and not watered down in the
least.

Thanks for the replies.

Jim

Old 14-09-2006, 07:04 PM posted to rec.food.preserving

"Jim" wrote:

I just bought a Mehu-Liisa steam juicer.

I have a question about the juice it creates... Does it have to be
diluted
or can it usually be used straight?

I've never heard of a steam juicer.. It sounds like most of you are using them
to make juice for use with making jellies.. Do any of you steam apples to make
apple juice or similar? What other uses do you use these for? Just curious..

Thanks!

Old 14-09-2006, 07:54 PM posted to rec.food.preserving

"Jim" wrote:

I just bought a Mehu-Liisa steam juicer.

I have a question about the juice it creates... Does it have to be
diluted
or can it usually be used straight?

I've never heard of a steam juicer.. It sounds like most of you are using them
to make juice for use with making jellies.. Do any of you steam apples to make
apple juice or similar? What other uses do you use these for? Just curious..

Thanks!

You can make juices for drinking and also steam foods.
http://www.juicer-steamer.com/
for a description.
--
Susan N.

Old 15-09-2006, 02:30 AM posted to rec.food.preserving

In article , The Cook wrote:

You can make juices for drinking and also steam foods.
http://www.juicer-steamer.com/
for a description.

Thanks for the info.. I'll check it out.. I never thought much about
making my own apple juice or similar.. We've got a bunch of tomato's
that are about ripe and more Roma's on the way.. I've used Roma's before
for making tomato sauce, but I guess I could make juice as well using
something like this.

Old 17-09-2006, 11:53 AM posted to rec.food.preserving

In article ,
"Rick F." wrote:
I've never heard of a steam juicer.. It sounds like most of you are using them
to make juice for use with making jellies.. Do any of you steam apples to make
apple juice or similar? What other uses do you use these for? Just curious..

Thanks!

Hi, Rick
Did you look up Mehu-Liisa? There are some good pics if you do a Google
images search. I do steam apples for juice * except I use the juice to
make jelly rather than as a beverage, if that's what you're wondering.
You could certainly use the juice as a beverage * I think the info and
recipe leaflet with the unit has some recipes for a couple juice blends,
in fact.
(Is that what you meant?)
Old 18-09-2006, 05:40 PM posted to rec.food.preserving

In article , Melba's Jammin' wrote:
In article ,

Did you look up Mehu-Liisa? There are some good pics if you do a Google
images search. I do steam apples for juice * except I use the juice to
make jelly rather than as a beverage, if that's what you're wondering.
You could certainly use the juice as a beverage * I think the info and
recipe leaflet with the unit has some recipes for a couple juice blends,
in fact.
(Is that what you meant?)

Thanks for the info.. You pretty much answered my question.. I did look it
up and it looks similar to a pressure cooker but larger I'm guessing and that
it has the interesting insert system to catch the rendered juices of whatever
is being juiced. Just one stupid question -- does that thing have a magnetic
stainless steel bottom by chance? I've got an induction cooktop (which I hate
by the way) that refuses to work with aluminum bottomed pans, copper (blows
fuses I'm told) and effectively requires something designed for induction use.

Anyway, I didn't notice anything about that on any of the sites that have their
stuff..

Old 19-09-2006, 12:30 AM posted to rec.food.preserving

In article ,
"Rick F." wrote:

In article , Melba's
Jammin' wrote:
In article ,

[...]

You're welcome. And you're right about the insert/colander/collection
stuff.
It does not. :-0( I just checked with a magnet.
My Bigass Demeyere kettle, OTOH, does.
Old 24-09-2006, 03:01 AM posted to rec.food.preserving

Rick F. wrote:

In article , The Cook wrote:

You can make juices for drinking and also steam foods.
http://www.juicer-steamer.com/
for a description.

Thanks for the info.. I'll check it out.. I never thought much about
making my own apple juice or similar.. We've got a bunch of tomato's
that are about ripe and more Roma's on the way.. I've used Roma's before
for making tomato sauce, but I guess I could make juice as well using
something like this.

"Roma" tomatoes (plain jane plum tomatoes before the marketers got ahold
of them) aren't for juicing because they have a higher meat:juice ratio.
They are for sauce/paste/ketchup making because of that, though.

B/