Pennyaline

Default Tubing for Steam Juicer

The time has come. I expect that my steam juicer's tubing will have bit the
dust by the time
I get responses to this message.

The rest of the juicer is in fabulous shape. Its just the tubing that's
become battle-scarred and flimsy. I've been looking around for appropriate
replacement tubing, but so far haven't found anything that can take the heat
and not lend off-odors and flavors to the juice.

Any suggestions?

The Joneses

Pennyaline wrote:

> The time has come. I expect that my steam juicer's tubing will have bit the
> dust by the time I get responses to this message.
> The rest of the juicer is in fabulous shape. Its just the tubing that's
> become battle-scarred and flimsy. I've been looking around for appropriate
> replacement tubing, but so far haven't found anything that can take the heat
> and not lend off-odors and flavors to the juice.
> Any suggestions?

How big in diameter is the tubing? Have a friend in the medical business? see if
a catheter will work. Or IV tubing. dunno if it will take the heat, tho.
Edrena

Gary S.

On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 02:04:10 GMT, The Joneses >
wrote:

>Pennyaline wrote:
>
>> The time has come. I expect that my steam juicer's tubing will have bit the
>> dust by the time I get responses to this message.
>> The rest of the juicer is in fabulous shape. Its just the tubing that's
>> become battle-scarred and flimsy. I've been looking around for appropriate
>> replacement tubing, but so far haven't found anything that can take the heat
>> and not lend off-odors and flavors to the juice.
>> Any suggestions?

>How big in diameter is the tubing? Have a friend in the medical business? see if
>a catheter will work. Or IV tubing. dunno if it will take the heat, tho.
>Edrena

There are a number of tubing products made for food uses which can
take heat, not add off-tastes, and most important, maintain
cleanliness and sanitation.

I would recommend sticking with food grade. If I knew the maximum
temperature, I could suggest a material. Polyethylene would be good
for some lower temperatures. Tygon is good, but I don't recall how hot
it can handle.

If you can describe the existing tubing material that would be a clue.

One supplier with many options would be McMaster-Carr at
www.mcmaster.com

A store that supplies how brewers should have something as well.

Happy trails,
Gary (net.yogi.bear)

Gary D. Schwartz, Needham, MA, USA
Gary S.

wrote:

>Pennyaline wrote:
>
>> The time has come. I expect that my steam juicer's tubing will have bit the
>> dust by the time I get responses to this message.
>> The rest of the juicer is in fabulous shape. Its just the tubing that's
>> become battle-scarred and flimsy. I've been looking around for appropriate
>> replacement tubing, but so far haven't found anything that can take the heat
>> and not lend off-odors and flavors to the juice.
>> Any suggestions?

>How big in diameter is the tubing? Have a friend in the medical business? see if
>a catheter will work. Or IV tubing. dunno if it will take the heat, tho.
>Edrena

There are a number of tubing products made for food uses which can
take heat, not add off-tastes, and most important, maintain
cleanliness and sanitation.

I would recommend sticking with food grade. If I knew the maximum
temperature, I could suggest a material. Polyethylene would be good
for some lower temperatures. Tygon is good, but I don't recall how hot
it can handle.

If you can describe the existing tubing material that would be a clue.

One supplier with many options would be McMaster-Carr at
www.mcmaster.com

A store that supplies how brewers should have something as well.

Happy trails,
Gary (net.yogi.bear)

Gary D. Schwartz, Needham, MA, USA
Seismo Malm

On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 00:39:57 -0500, zxcvbob > wrote:
>ellen wickberg wrote:
>
>> in article , Pennyaline at
>> wrote on 26/7/04 6:49 PM:
>>

>>>The time has come. I expect that my steam juicer's tubing will have bit the
>>>dust by the time
>>>I get responses to this message.
>>>
>>>The rest of the juicer is in fabulous shape. Its just the tubing that's
>>>become battle-scarred and flimsy. I've been looking around for appropriate
>>>replacement tubing, but so far haven't found anything that can take the heat
>>>and not lend off-odors and flavors to the juice.
>>>
>>>Any suggestions?
>>>

>> I got my stainless steel juicer from Lee Valley. It is, I think, Finnish.
>> I acquired an aluminum juicer in Poland with terrible rubber tubing and was
>> able to get a replacement tube from Lee Valley. I had tried medical supply
>> houses in Vancouver but got nowhere and therefore turned to Lee Valley.
>> Ellen

>My stainless steel steamer-juicer came with a clear vinyl hose and a
>hose clamp. I don't think I've ever used the hose, I just collect the
>juice straight out of the little metal tube. There's a rubber cap that
>goes on the tube so it doesn't leak.
>
>Bob

Around here (in Finland) all new steam juicers are supplied with that
clear tubing. I think that it is made from food grade silicone and
it will last a very long time. Should be availlable in any industrial
plastic shop.

seismo malm
George Shirley

om wrote on 26/7/04 6:49 PM:

>>>I got my stainless steel juicer from Lee Valley. It is, I think, Finnish.
>>>I acquired an aluminum juicer in Poland with terrible rubber tubing and was
>>>able to get a replacement tube from Lee Valley. I had tried medical supply
>>>houses in Vancouver but got nowhere and therefore turned to Lee Valley.
>>>Ellen

>>My stainless steel steamer-juicer came with a clear vinyl hose and a
>>hose clamp. I don't think I've ever used the hose, I just collect the
>>juice straight out of the little metal tube. There's a rubber cap that
>>goes on the tube so it doesn't leak.
>>
>>Bob

> Around here (in Finland) all new steam juicers are supplied with that
> clear tubing. I think that it is made from food grade silicone and
> it will last a very long time. Should be availlable in any industrial
> plastic shop.
>
> seismo malm

I don't own a steam juicer but am willing to bet the hose is Tygon
tubing. Tygon is used in all sorts of labs to tie things together and to
make drains and handles a pretty good range of temperatures. I have it
in sizes from one quarter inch to three quarters of an inch and use it
for about anything I need a resistant tubing. When I was still in the
erl bidness we had huge rolls of it for lab work.

George

George Shirley

om wrote on 26/7/04 6:49 PM:

>>>I got my stainless steel juicer from Lee Valley. It is, I think, Finnish.
>>>I acquired an aluminum juicer in Poland with terrible rubber tubing and was
>>>able to get a replacement tube from Lee Valley. I had tried medical supply
>>>houses in Vancouver but got nowhere and therefore turned to Lee Valley.
>>>Ellen

>>My stainless steel steamer-juicer came with a clear vinyl hose and a
>>hose clamp. I don't think I've ever used the hose, I just collect the
>>juice straight out of the little metal tube. There's a rubber cap that
>>goes on the tube so it doesn't leak.
>>
>>Bob

> Around here (in Finland) all new steam juicers are supplied with that
> clear tubing. I think that it is made from food grade silicone and
> it will last a very long time. Should be availlable in any industrial
> plastic shop.
>
> seismo malm

I don't own a steam juicer but am willing to bet the hose is Tygon
tubing. Tygon is used in all sorts of labs to tie things together and to
make drains and handles a pretty good range of temperatures. I have it
in sizes from one quarter inch to three quarters of an inch and use it
for about anything I need a resistant tubing. When I was still in the
erl bidness we had huge rolls of it for lab work.

George

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, "Pennyaline"
> wrote:

> The time has come. I expect that my steam juicer's tubing will have
> bit the dust by the time I get responses to this message.
>
> The rest of the juicer is in fabulous shape. Its just the tubing
> that's become battle-scarred and flimsy. I've been looking around for
> appropriate replacement tubing, but so far haven't found anything
> that can take the heat and not lend off-odors and flavors to the
> juice.
>
> Any suggestions?

I've emailed the Mehu-Liisa Products folks in Trumansburg, NY, asking
about replacement hose. I'll let you know what they have to say. Or
you can give them a call at: 607-387-6716
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> An update on 7/22/04.

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, "Pennyaline"
> wrote:

> The time has come. I expect that my steam juicer's tubing will have
> bit the dust by the time I get responses to this message.
>
> The rest of the juicer is in fabulous shape. Its just the tubing
> that's become battle-scarred and flimsy. I've been looking around for
> appropriate replacement tubing, but so far haven't found anything
> that can take the heat and not lend off-odors and flavors to the
> juice.
>
> Any suggestions?

I've emailed the Mehu-Liisa Products folks in Trumansburg, NY, asking
about replacement hose. I'll let you know what they have to say. Or
you can give them a call at: 607-387-6716
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> An update on 7/22/04.

Melba's Jammin'

In article >,
Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

> In article >, "Pennyaline"
> > wrote:
>
> > The time has come. I expect that my steam juicer's tubing will have
> > bit the dust by the time I get responses to this message.
> >
> > The rest of the juicer is in fabulous shape. Its just the tubing
> > that's become battle-scarred and flimsy. I've been looking around for
> > appropriate replacement tubing, but so far haven't found anything
> > that can take the heat and not lend off-odors and flavors to the
> > juice.
> >
> > Any suggestions?

> I've emailed the Mehu-Liisa Products folks in Trumansburg, NY, asking
> about replacement hose. I'll let you know what they have to say. Or
> you can give them a call at: 607-387-6716

Well, the email bounced; looks like the guy moved to Oregon:
http://store.yahoo.com/steam-juicers/index.html
Voice: 541-514-0106
"Order Online or Call: 1-800-450-6081 Today! Voice W-Fri 9am-2pm PST,
leave message 24hrs"
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> An update on 7/22/04.

Melba's Jammin'

In article >,
Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

> In article >, "Pennyaline"
> > wrote:
>
> > The time has come. I expect that my steam juicer's tubing will have
> > bit the dust by the time I get responses to this message.
> >
> > The rest of the juicer is in fabulous shape. Its just the tubing
> > that's become battle-scarred and flimsy. I've been looking around for
> > appropriate replacement tubing, but so far haven't found anything
> > that can take the heat and not lend off-odors and flavors to the
> > juice.
> >
> > Any suggestions?

> I've emailed the Mehu-Liisa Products folks in Trumansburg, NY, asking
> about replacement hose. I'll let you know what they have to say. Or
> you can give them a call at: 607-387-6716

Well, the email bounced; looks like the guy moved to Oregon:
http://store.yahoo.com/steam-juicers/index.html
Voice: 541-514-0106
"Order Online or Call: 1-800-450-6081 Today! Voice W-Fri 9am-2pm PST,
leave message 24hrs"
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> An update on 7/22/04.

Blanche Nonken

wrote on 26/7/04 6:49 PM:

> >> I got my stainless steel juicer from Lee Valley. It is, I think, Finnish.
> >> I acquired an aluminum juicer in Poland with terrible rubber tubing and was
> >> able to get a replacement tube from Lee Valley. I had tried medical supply
> >> houses in Vancouver but got nowhere and therefore turned to Lee Valley.
> >> Ellen

> >My stainless steel steamer-juicer came with a clear vinyl hose and a
> >hose clamp. I don't think I've ever used the hose, I just collect the
> >juice straight out of the little metal tube. There's a rubber cap that
> >goes on the tube so it doesn't leak.
> >
> >Bob

> Around here (in Finland) all new steam juicers are supplied with that
> clear tubing. I think that it is made from food grade silicone and
> it will last a very long time. Should be availlable in any industrial
> plastic shop.

Also pet shops with a decent stock of aquarium supplies.
Blanche Nonken

wrote on 26/7/04 6:49 PM:

> >> I got my stainless steel juicer from Lee Valley. It is, I think, Finnish.
> >> I acquired an aluminum juicer in Poland with terrible rubber tubing and was
> >> able to get a replacement tube from Lee Valley. I had tried medical supply
> >> houses in Vancouver but got nowhere and therefore turned to Lee Valley.
> >> Ellen

> >My stainless steel steamer-juicer came with a clear vinyl hose and a
> >hose clamp. I don't think I've ever used the hose, I just collect the
> >juice straight out of the little metal tube. There's a rubber cap that
> >goes on the tube so it doesn't leak.
> >
> >Bob

> Around here (in Finland) all new steam juicers are supplied with that
> clear tubing. I think that it is made from food grade silicone and
> it will last a very long time. Should be availlable in any industrial
> plastic shop.

Also pet shops with a decent stock of aquarium supplies.

George Shirley

m wrote on 26/7/04 6:49 PM:

>>>My stainless steel steamer-juicer came with a clear vinyl hose and a
>>>hose clamp. I don't think I've ever used the hose, I just collect the
>>>juice straight out of the little metal tube. There's a rubber cap that
>>>goes on the tube so it doesn't leak.
>>>
>>>Bob

>>Around here (in Finland) all new steam juicers are supplied with that
>>clear tubing. I think that it is made from food grade silicone and
>>it will last a very long time. Should be availlable in any industrial
>>plastic shop.

> Also pet shops with a decent stock of aquarium supplies.

Also at Home Depot and Lowe's, used for drains, ice makers, etc.

George

Pennyaline

"Melba's Jammin'" wrote:
> > I've emailed the Mehu-Liisa Products folks in Trumansburg, NY, asking
> > about replacement hose. I'll let you know what they have to say. Or
> > you can give them a call at: 607-387-6716

> Well, the email bounced; looks like the guy moved to Oregon:
> http://store.yahoo.com/steam-juicers/index.html
> Voice: 541-514-0106
> "Order Online or Call: 1-800-450-6081 Today! Voice W-Fri 9am-2pm PST,
> leave message 24hrs"

Thanks, Barb! I'll give them a try, too!

Pennyaline

"The Joneses" wrote:
> How big in diameter is the tubing? Have a friend in the medical business?

see if
> a catheter will work. Or IV tubing. dunno if it will take the heat, tho.

ROFL!! I'm in the medical business and have access to all that gross stuff.
I thought of catheters too! I figured a 14 Fr., or mebbee a 12

Neither catheters nor I.V. tubing would stand up to the heat though

<although, catheters are Teflon coated... >

Pennyaline

"George Shirley" wrote:
> Also at Home Depot and Lowe's, used for drains, ice makers, etc.

Ack! I tried those first. What they had was either far too small or too
large bore. Also, it tended to be heavy-walled, a problem when it comes to
clamping it off and swinging it up out of the way.