Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Default My Most Requested Dish....(by far)

Yes, I KNOW .... You probably will laugh at YET ANOTHER recipe for
Pico de Guio and Guacamole. However, since I am a 'newbie' to this
group, I hope that y'all can forgive me.

I worked all over Mexico for about two years, and the most memorable
meal I had was actually an appetizer. Yes, Pico de Guio and Guacamole.
It was almost always served the same way, no matter what restaurant we
went to, or what region we were in. However, since returning to the
states, I have not been able to find it served the same way. So, I
made it myself, and now has become the most requested item at every
party or function. Although, I don't have a lava rock bowl which it is
typically served in, but a dessert plate (for small quantities), or a
pie plate works well. I have never written down the recipe until now,
as the quantities will vary based upon the taste....which frustrates
the hordes of people asking me how to make it!

I really think it is the layering of various tastes that makes this
dish so incredible. I hope you love it too!

NOTE: Using a Zyliss, or similar, chopper makes preparation a breeze.

Serves 2 - 3

1 ripe Haas Avocado
2 or 3 Roma Tomatoes
5 or 6 Serrano Chilis (or similar)
1 medium/small white onion
1 small bunch Cilantro leaves (sans stems)
Pinch of Salt
Lime juice optional (try it without first)

Cut avocado in half, remove pit, and thoroughly scoop out the shell.

Cream the avocado and salt together with a fork or whip, until most of
the lumps disappear.

Spread the avocado on a plate about 3/4 of an inch thick.

Remove all seeds from the chilis.

Chop chilis extremely fine, and sprinkle evenly over the avocado.

Chop cilantro leaves semi-coarse (about 3/4 cup chopped), and sprinkle
over the chilis.

Chop onion semi-coarse (about 1 cup) and layer over the cilantro.

Remove all seeds and juicy 'pulp' from the tomatoes, chop semi-coarse,
and distribute over the top.

Garnish with a few small sprig of cilantro on top.

Serve cold, with good, firm Tortilla chips...Tostitos Gold have a rich
taste and hold up well.

Enjoy!

Help requested Kswck General Cooking 25 13-07-2011 08:46 AM
One-dish chicken/stuffing dish? cybercat General Cooking 18 02-12-2006 07:21 PM
Update one-dish chicken and stuffing dish cybercat General Cooking 0 01-12-2006 11:33 PM
My MOST requested dish is...? Andy General Cooking 31 30-03-2005 04:40 AM
An image as requested. Fred Sourdough 13 14-06-2004 04:58 AM