Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Help requested

Due to a gas leak in my apartment building, I have no gas for cooking for
the next few days. That leaves only a rotisseree and a microwave.

I have 6 beautiful ears of local corn on the cob-already shucked. Please
advise how to properly nuke them. All the recipes I have seen so far say to
soak them still in the husks before microwaving and then nuking wrapped in a
paper towel.

I assume there is another way-but I have yet to find it. Suggestions?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 10 Jul 2011 13:56:54 -0400, "Kswck" >
wrote:

>Due to a gas leak in my apartment building, I have no gas for cooking for
>the next few days. That leaves only a rotisseree and a microwave.
>
>I have 6 beautiful ears of local corn on the cob-already shucked. Please
>advise how to properly nuke them. All the recipes I have seen so far say to
>soak them still in the husks before microwaving and then nuking wrapped in a
>paper towel.
>
>I assume there is another way-but I have yet to find it. Suggestions?

If I've got to use the microwave, I prefer them wrapped in saran wrap
than the husks, myself.

On the grill, I roast 'em shucked until the kernels start to burst.
Would the rotisserie roast them?

Just to let you know where I'm coming from-- My preferred method is
boil the water while shucking- dump a dozen ears in 3 gallons of
water- remove when the water gets back to a boil.

Jim
[and I've eaten plenty of sun-warmed ears straight off the stalk back
when I grew my own]
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kswck > wrote:

>Due to a gas leak in my apartment building, I have no gas for cooking for
>the next few days. That leaves only a rotisseree and a microwave.
>
>I have 6 beautiful ears of local corn on the cob-already shucked. Please
>advise how to properly nuke them. All the recipes I have seen so far say to
>soak them still in the husks before microwaving and then nuking wrapped in a
>paper towel.
>
>I assume there is another way-but I have yet to find it. Suggestions?

The foodie sitting next to me says to do it as you describe.
Dampen it and maybe wrap it. In your case definitely wrap it
as the husks are not there.

I would not say "soaking" it; you just need a little water there.
Fresh corn hardly needs any cooking anyway.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>Due to a gas leak in my apartment building, I have no gas for cooking for
>the next few days. That leaves only a rotisseree and a microwave.
>
>I have 6 beautiful ears of local corn on the cob-already shucked. Please
>advise how to properly nuke them. All the recipes I have seen so far say to
>soak them still in the husks before microwaving and then nuking wrapped in a
>paper towel.
>
>I assume there is another way-but I have yet to find it. Suggestions?

They'll nuke fine in wet paper towel
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/10/2011 1:56 PM, Kswck wrote:
> Due to a gas leak in my apartment building, I have no gas for cooking for
> the next few days. That leaves only a rotisseree and a microwave.
>
> I have 6 beautiful ears of local corn on the cob-already shucked. Please
> advise how to properly nuke them. All the recipes I have seen so far say to
> soak them still in the husks before microwaving and then nuking wrapped in a
> paper towel.
>
> I assume there is another way-but I have yet to find it. Suggestions?

Run them under the tap to wet and then roll up in some plastic wrap and
nuke. Time (a few minutes in mine) depends on your nuker but when you
can see lots of condensed steam on the plastic is usually good. We
never boil corn anymore because the result tastes so much better. The
only other way I cook corn is to grill it if I happen to have the grill
going.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 10 Jul 2011 14:17:54 -0400, Jim Elbrecht >
wrote:

>On Sun, 10 Jul 2011 13:56:54 -0400, "Kswck" >
>wrote:
>
>>Due to a gas leak in my apartment building, I have no gas for cooking for
>>the next few days. That leaves only a rotisseree and a microwave.
>>
>>I have 6 beautiful ears of local corn on the cob-already shucked. Please
>>advise how to properly nuke them. All the recipes I have seen so far say to
>>soak them still in the husks before microwaving and then nuking wrapped in a
>>paper towel.
>>
>>I assume there is another way-but I have yet to find it. Suggestions?

>If I've got to use the microwave, I prefer them wrapped in saran wrap
>than the husks,

Why? That's a waste of saran... they were already wraped in husks.
And when nuked in their husks the silks come off with the husks.
Saran also retains too much water that leaches out flavor... may as
well boil them.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2011-07-10, Jim Elbrecht > wrote:

> If I've got to use the microwave, I prefer them wrapped in saran wrap
> than the husks, myself.

There was a big scare on nuking plastic wraps. Some insist it's no
longer a problem. Saran Wrap claims to have reformulated their wrap.
Consumer groups claim there are still toxic issues. I, for one, find
I can get along fine using a microwave without using plastic wrap.
Paper plates, paper towels, etc, can be easily be adapted to any
nuking need.

I will say one thing about Saran Wrap. Something has changed. I
don't know if it's the formulation or quality control or what, but I
will longer purchase it. The last roll I bought was a freakin'
nightmare. I couldn't get the damn wrap off the roll! It would
continuously stick on one end of the roll, causing it to tear across
the roll diagonally with almost every revolution. I figured it would
be okay after a dozen or so yards were stripped off, but no. I
fiqnally tossed the remaining 2/3rds of the roll and bought some
Glad Wrap, which works perfectly.

Screw Saran.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Jul 10, 10:56 am, "Kswck" > wrote:
> I have 6 beautiful ears of local corn on the cob-already shucked. Please
> advise how to properly nuke them. All the recipes I have seen so far say to
> soak them still in the husks before microwaving and then nuking wrapped in a
> paper towel.

If they are already shucked, wrap them in a damp towel and briefly
zap. I wouldn't cook all six at once (unless you're cooking for
six). Doing them in two or three batches will give you more chances
to experiment with how long to nuke them in your particular microwave
with this particular corn. As always, start with an underestimate,
test, zap again to finish. -aem
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kswck" > wrote in message
> Due to a gas leak in my apartment building, I have no gas for cooking for
> the next few days. That leaves only a rotisseree and a microwave.
>
> I have 6 beautiful ears of local corn on the cob-already shucked. Please
> advise how to properly nuke them. All the recipes I have seen so far say
> to soak them still in the husks before microwaving and then nuking wrapped
> in a paper towel.
>
> I assume there is another way-but I have yet to find it. Suggestions?

Probably should add that I do not have a grill.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>Due to a gas leak in my apartment building, I have no gas for cooking for
>the next few days. That leaves only a rotisseree and a microwave.
>
>I have 6 beautiful ears of local corn on the cob-already shucked. Please
>advise how to properly nuke them. All the recipes I have seen so far say to
>soak them still in the husks before microwaving and then nuking wrapped in a
>paper towel.

Wrap each ear of corn in a damp paper towel and microwave for about 45
seconds per ear of corn. Check for doneness and add more time as
needed.

>I assume there is another way-but I have yet to find it. Suggestions?

Pringle can solar oven!

Tara

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kswck" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> Due to a gas leak in my apartment building, I have no gas for cooking for
> the next few days. That leaves only a rotisseree and a microwave.
>
> I have 6 beautiful ears of local corn on the cob-already shucked. Please
> advise how to properly nuke them. All the recipes I have seen so far say
> to soak them still in the husks before microwaving and then nuking wrapped
> in a paper towel.

Waxed paper, twist ends. It works.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kswck" > wrote in message
> Due to a gas leak in my apartment building, I have no gas for cooking for
> the next few days. That leaves only a rotisseree and a microwave.
>
> I have 6 beautiful ears of local corn on the cob-already shucked. Please
> advise how to properly nuke them. All the recipes I have seen so far say
> to soak them still in the husks before microwaving and then nuking wrapped
> in a paper towel.
>
> I assume there is another way-but I have yet to find it. Suggestions?

I husk them first. Why try to husk a hot ear of corn? You can just nuke
them plain, or wrap them in a paper towel or plastic wrap. My rule of thumb
is 6 minutes plus 1 minute for each additional ear. We usually would only
do four at a time.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote:
>"Kswck" > wrote in message
>
>> Due to a gas leak in my apartment building, I have no gas for cooking for
>> the next few days. That leaves only a rotisseree and a microwave.
>>
>> I have 6 beautiful ears of local corn on the cob-already shucked. Please
>> advise how to properly nuke them. All the recipes I have seen so far say
>> to soak them still in the husks before microwaving and then nuking wrapped
>> in a paper towel.
>>
>> I assume there is another way-but I have yet to find it. Suggestions?

>I husk them first. Why try to husk a hot ear of corn?

I cut off the stem end and the tip of the small end, then I remove
about half the husks. I let them sit a couple of minutes after nuking
to cook through. By then the ear shrinks away from the husks some and
cools so they are easy to remove, and all the silk comes away too.
Actually what I do is peel the husks back and use them for a handle.

>You can just nuke them in a paper towel or plastic wrap.

If the husks are gone I prefer to wrap each in a wet paper towel...
plastic wrap seals too well so is like boiling. Of course when I have
more than six ears to cook at once I will usually light the grill.

Corn refuse is one of the things that goes into the trash as it
doesn't compost well... ten years later you'll still have husks and
cobs.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" <Gravesend1> wrote in message
> On Sun, 10 Jul 2011 13:56:54 -0400, "Kswck" >
> wrote:
>
>>Due to a gas leak in my apartment building, I have no gas for cooking for
>>the next few days. That leaves only a rotisseree and a microwave.
>>
>>I have 6 beautiful ears of local corn on the cob-already shucked. Please
>>advise how to properly nuke them. All the recipes I have seen so far say
>>soak them still in the husks before microwaving and then nuking wrapped in
>>paper towel.
>>
>>I assume there is another way-but I have yet to find it. Suggestions?

> They'll nuke fine in wet paper towel

Thank you Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/10/2011 1:56 PM, Kswck wrote:
> Due to a gas leak in my apartment building, I have no gas for cooking for
> the next few days. That leaves only a rotisseree and a microwave.
>
> I have 6 beautiful ears of local corn on the cob-already shucked. Please
> advise how to properly nuke them. All the recipes I have seen so far say to
> soak them still in the husks before microwaving and then nuking wrapped in a
> paper towel.
>
> I assume there is another way-but I have yet to find it. Suggestions?

I put the shucked corn in a casserole dish which will fit in the
microwave. My 8x10 does it for me. It can hold 5 - 6 corn on the cobs
- depending on size of course. 6 nuke it for 5 -6 minutes with a
plastic wrap over the casserole and it turns out great. For 4 you could
nuke it for 4 minutes. Try it you will like it.

Rusty in Md

Posted to rec.food.cooking

make them naked, put into a ziploc freezer bag or spring for a steamer bag,
rinse leaving damp not soaked, for six ears if weight isn't an issue throw
in butter with it, cook on about half power turning as you go, maybe a
minute at a time and check, Lee
"Jim Elbrecht" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 10 Jul 2011 13:56:54 -0400, "Kswck" >
> wrote:
>
>>Due to a gas leak in my apartment building, I have no gas for cooking for
>>the next few days. That leaves only a rotisseree and a microwave.
>>
>>I have 6 beautiful ears of local corn on the cob-already shucked. Please
>>advise how to properly nuke them. All the recipes I have seen so far say
>>soak them still in the husks before microwaving and then nuking wrapped in
>>paper towel.
>>
>>I assume there is another way-but I have yet to find it. Suggestions?

> If I've got to use the microwave, I prefer them wrapped in saran wrap
> than the husks, myself.
>
> On the grill, I roast 'em shucked until the kernels start to burst.
> Would the rotisserie roast them?
>
> Just to let you know where I'm coming from-- My preferred method is
> boil the water while shucking- dump a dozen ears in 3 gallons of
> water- remove when the water gets back to a boil.
>
> Jim
> [and I've eaten plenty of sun-warmed ears straight off the stalk back
> when I grew my own]

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kswck" > wrote in message
> Due to a gas leak in my apartment building, I have no gas for cooking for
> the next few days. That leaves only a rotisseree and a microwave.
>
> I have 6 beautiful ears of local corn on the cob-already shucked. Please
> advise how to properly nuke them. All the recipes I have seen so far say
> to soak them still in the husks before microwaving and then nuking wrapped
> in a paper towel.
>
> I assume there is another way-but I have yet to find it. Suggestions?

Thank you all for your suggestions.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Kswck" > wrote:

> Due to a gas leak in my apartment building, I have no gas for cooking for
> the next few days. That leaves only a rotisseree and a microwave.
>
> I have 6 beautiful ears of local corn on the cob-already shucked. Please
> advise how to properly nuke them. All the recipes I have seen so far say to
> soak them still in the husks before microwaving and then nuking wrapped in a
> paper towel.
>
> I assume there is another way-but I have yet to find it. Suggestions?

I do them one at time, husked, rinsed, and wrapped in waxed paper,
twisted at the ends. A minute or two, I think. Full power.
--
Barb,
The latest jammin'; http://web.me.com/barbschaller July 1, 2011
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>Due to a gas leak in my apartment building, I have no gas for cooking for
>the next few days. That leaves only a rotisseree and a microwave.
>
>I have 6 beautiful ears of local corn on the cob-already shucked. Please
>advise how to properly nuke them. All the recipes I have seen so far say to
>soak them still in the husks before microwaving and then nuking wrapped in a
>paper towel.
>
>I assume there is another way-but I have yet to find it. Suggestions?

We use a microwave steamer. It is a tupperware item that you put a
little water in the bottom, then it has a piece with holes to allow
the steam to come up, and a lid. I can fit 2 ears in mine, and with my
microwave, I typically do 10 minutes. They come out great.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 12 Jul 2011 00:57:25 -0700, Meghan Noecker
> wrote:

>On Sun, 10 Jul 2011 13:56:54 -0400, "Kswck" >
>wrote:
>
>>Due to a gas leak in my apartment building, I have no gas for cooking for
>>the next few days. That leaves only a rotisseree and a microwave.
>>
>>I have 6 beautiful ears of local corn on the cob-already shucked. Please
>>advise how to properly nuke them. All the recipes I have seen so far say to
>>soak them still in the husks before microwaving and then nuking wrapped in a
>>paper towel.
>>
>>I assume there is another way-but I have yet to find it. Suggestions?
>>

>We use a microwave steamer. It is a tupperware item that you put a
>little water in the bottom, then it has a piece with holes to allow
>the steam to come up, and a lid. I can fit 2 ears in mine, and with my
>microwave, I typically do 10 minutes. They come out great.

Thanks Meghan. I recently bought both a microwave rice cooker and a
microwave pasta cooker so that I could try them out. Both were a
disappointment and neither cooked the intended item as well as more
traditional methods. I'll try some corn-on-the-cob in the pasta cooker
and see if it works.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Robert Payne > wrote in
:

> On Tue, 12 Jul 2011 00:57:25 -0700, Meghan Noecker

<snip>
>>We use a microwave steamer. It is a tupperware item that you
>>put a little water in the bottom, then it has a piece with
>>holes to allow the steam to come up, and a lid. I can fit 2
>>ears in mine, and with my microwave, I typically do 10
>>minutes. They come out great.

> Thanks Meghan. I recently bought both a microwave rice cooker
> and a microwave pasta cooker so that I could try them out.
> Both were a disappointment and neither cooked the intended
> item as well as more traditional methods. I'll try some
> corn-on-the-cob in the pasta cooker and see if it works.

I don't like the microwave pasta cooker but Love my microwave rice
maker and microwave steamer. They work perfectly for me, even at a
high altitude! Next to my pressure cooker and a few favorite
pots/pans.... I've got to have my microwave cookers. :-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12 Jul 2011 11:34:09 GMT, sandi > wrote:

>I don't like the microwave pasta cooker but Love my microwave rice
>maker and microwave steamer. They work perfectly for me, even at a
>high altitude! Next to my pressure cooker and a few favorite
>pots/pans.... I've got to have my microwave cookers. :-)

Thanks Sandi. That's good to know. The pasta cooker I bought is called
a "Fasta Pasta" (or perhaps the other way around). It works great for
making one serving of pasta. That may be what it's intended for. I
tried enough for two servings and it was like eating rubber bands. The
rice cooker made rice where the center of the batch was good, but all
that was on the outsides of the container was nasty. Tough, dry, or
mush. It was pretty inexpensive, so nothing lost really. I have an
electric rice cooker that works fine for large batches and when I want
one serving, I just use a pot on the stove, (the old fashioned way).
Posted to rec.food.cooking

problem wasn't the devices it was you not using them correctly, "rubbery"
and "dry" denotes cooking too long and/or not enough water, i have used all
of these and they all work fine once you use them enough to know how to use
properly, and time savers also, Lee
"Robert Payne" > wrote in message
> On 12 Jul 2011 11:34:09 GMT, sandi > wrote:
>
>>I don't like the microwave pasta cooker but Love my microwave rice
>>maker and microwave steamer. They work perfectly for me, even at a
>>high altitude! Next to my pressure cooker and a few favorite
>>pots/pans.... I've got to have my microwave cookers. :-)

> Thanks Sandi. That's good to know. The pasta cooker I bought is called
> a "Fasta Pasta" (or perhaps the other way around). It works great for
> making one serving of pasta. That may be what it's intended for. I
> tried enough for two servings and it was like eating rubber bands. The
> rice cooker made rice where the center of the batch was good, but all
> that was on the outsides of the container was nasty. Tough, dry, or
> mush. It was pretty inexpensive, so nothing lost really. I have an
> electric rice cooker that works fine for large batches and when I want
> one serving, I just use a pot on the stove, (the old fashioned way).

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 10, 1:56*pm, "Kswck" > wrote:
> Due to a gas leak in my apartment building, I have no gas for cooking for
> the next few days. That leaves only a rotisseree and a microwave.
>
> I have 6 beautiful ears of local corn on the cob-already shucked. Please
> advise how to properly nuke them. All the recipes I have seen so far say to
> soak them still in the husks before microwaving and then nuking wrapped in a
> paper towel.
>
> I assume there is another way-but I have yet to find it. Suggestions?

I zap them as is -- no soaking or extra wrapping; the husk is good
enough. Give them about a minuite per ear to start, and adjust if you
find it necessary. They will shuck easily and the silk strips right
off.

Jerry

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 12 Jul 2011 07:12:49 -0400, Robert Payne >
wrote:

>Thanks Meghan. I recently bought both a microwave rice cooker and a
>microwave pasta cooker so that I could try them out. Both were a
>disappointment and neither cooked the intended item as well as more
>traditional methods. I'll try some corn-on-the-cob in the pasta cooker
>and see if it works.

My mom uses a rice cooker in the microwave, and I hate it, so I use a
regular rice cooker. I have tried pasta a few times. Sometimes, it
works okay, and sometimes it gets gummy. So, I usually don't bother.
But I like the steamer for corn on the cob, potatoes, or some type of
veggie.

Scones as requested Ophelia General Cooking 40 02-08-2005 08:03 AM
Scones as requested Ophelia General Cooking 2 30-07-2005 12:22 PM
My MOST requested dish is...? Andy General Cooking 31 30-03-2005 04:40 AM
An image as requested. Fred Sourdough 13 14-06-2004 04:58 AM
here´s the archive you requested amateur Sourdough 0 25-04-2004 03:51 AM