Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Default Menudo (Tripe Soup)

On Sun, 22 May 2005 09:01:11 -0500, "Old Magic1"

The tripe and veal knuckle,( or beef feet, or pigs feet tied in
cheesecloth due to the many bones) should soak in 2 quarts water with
1/3 cup vinegar for 3 hours and then be rinsed in fresh cold water
before beginning this recipe. Also...garnish with chopped cilantro,
dried mexican oregano,fresh lime, and chopped onions. Serve with hot
corn tortillas. Esto es como se comen en Mexico!
Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Default Put a fork in us

The Great Gazooka wrote:
> On Sun, 22 May 2005 09:01:11 -0500, "Old Magic1"

This group really is dead. Now people are replying to garbage posts that
are nearly a year old. Please don't bring back my memory of the old
magic one... I can copy and paste recipes just fine by myself.
Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Sonoran Dude wrote:

> This group really is dead. Now people are replying to garbage posts that
> are nearly a year old. Please don't bring back my memory of the old
> magic one... I can copy and paste recipes just fine by myself.

It only takes a few trolls to kill a group by crawling out of their
miserable holes and jumping all over somebody who offers a recipe
they've seen before.

I actually learned something about Mexican cooking from reading
OldMagic1's post about the relative heat of various chiles and
appreciated him taking the time to answer.

Mexican recipes posted here and questions often tend to be about
Mexican *snacks* like tacos and tamales and enchiladas and what is
their favorite taco stand, and it's hard to get the regulars off of
that subject and into the more complicated Mexican dishes like the
seven different moles commonly made in Oaxaca.

How many regulars know what goes into mole amarillo to make it yellow,
or mole verde to make it green, or what the difference is between mole
colorado and mole coloradito?

Who can say why chiles are blistered in a frying pan before being
pureed and why the puree is then returned to the frying pan?

Who knows what amaranth flour tastes like and where to get it? I have a
recipe for amaranth pie and wonder if it's worth the effort.

Who knows how to make any of the recipes mentioned below?

Los nombres de los platos oaxaqueños son tan exóticos como sus
sabores: chochoyote, clayuda, ticuata, chinecuatole, atole blanco,
chapulines, o sopa de gato. En los postres de igual forma se hecha a
volar la fantasía, con los "suspiros de la madre Celestina", "manjar
blanco", "leche empedrada", "panal de rosa", "pastel de harina
curioso", "leche imperial" o los "bocadillos de queso en piloncillo".

The names of Oaxacan plates are as exotic as their flavors: chochoyote,
clayuda, ticuata, chinecuatole, white cornflour drink, chapulines, or
soup of cat. In desserts similarly made fly the fantasy, with the
"sighs of the mother Celestine", "manjar white", "paved with stones
milk", "honeycomb of rose", "peculiar flour pie", "imperial milk" or
"cheese sandwiches in piloncillo".

Sometimes the exotically-named dish turns out to be nothing much, other
times it's delightful, but, who knows, if nobody wants to talk about
anything except for their favorite taco or tamale or enchilada recipes
which are the common Sonoran recipes?

I was watching a cooking program on TV recently where a Puerto Rican
lady made arroz con gandules and pernil, a traditional Christmas meal
in PR. The arroz con gandules was covered with a banana leaf after
being removed from the fire and the rice steamed under the leaf,
absorbing the flavor of the leaf.

The pernil (leg of pork) was roasted until the skin was crispy and was
served as crackilings while the pork inside was juicy and tender. That
dish was yummy looking with the roast pork and rice and crackings
arranged on a serving platter.

Who knows if Mexican cooks on the Golfo de Mexico add gandules (pigeon
peas) to their arroz con pollo, or if lentils would be just as good?

The subject of Mexican cooking is much wider than just talking about
tacos all the time. Why limit the subject to just what peasants eat
along the border? I want to know what Mexicans, rich or poor, cook all
over the country.

And, if it sounds like it would be good, I want to cook it!

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Alfred J. wrote:

> The subject of Mexican cooking is much wider than just talking about
> tacos all the time. Why limit the subject to just what peasants eat
> along the border? I want to know what Mexicans, rich or poor, cook all
> over the country.

I like peasant Mexican food better than any other cuisine, but I agree
that this NG shouldn't be devoted just to that. It's not called
a.f.m-c.peasant-cuisine.

--Bryan

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

BoboBonobo wrote:
> Alfred J. wrote:
>
>>The subject of Mexican cooking is much wider than just talking about
>>tacos all the time. Why limit the subject to just what peasants eat
>>along the border? I want to know what Mexicans, rich or poor, cook all
>>over the country.

> I like peasant Mexican food better than any other cuisine, but I agree
> that this NG shouldn't be devoted just to that. It's not called
> a.f.m-c.peasant-cuisine.
>
> --Bryan

Our part of Mexico (Sonora) is mostly peasant cuisine and that is what I
like to talk about it because I grew up with it and love it. My main
gripe about Old Magic 1 was that for months all you would find here was
cut and paste from Master Cook's 8,000+ recipies, many of which were not
even Mexican items.

This part of Mexico and Arizona (Sonora) was comprised almost entirely
of peasants and Native Indians. In high school our Spanish teacher, who
was from Mexico City looked down her nose and barely recognized Sonora
as a state of Mexico so I am aware of the deep seated predjudice of the
social classes. I agree that we need to celebrate all regions but please
don't call it border food. The original border engulfs all of Tucson and
extends a few miles south of Phoenix on the Gila River.

What is cooked here in Tucson is authentic and the recipes have been
handed down for generations. PS, Im not a troll been here for years my
friend.

CPTVEG was an older handle.. go Google me.

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Sonoran Dude wrote:
> BoboBonobo wrote:
>
>> Alfred J. wrote:

Sorry Alfred J, put this under the wrong string... Basically all I
wanted to say is let's bring on more border food!