Posted to rec.food.historic

Default Where to buy tripe in the UK?

I used to buy tripe in the early 90's from Safeway, but I cannot find it
anywhere now. I am based in the midlands, but I'd love to hear from any who
knows where I can get tripe (mail order would be perfect).

Martin
p.s. Favourite tripe recipe: In the Madrid style with Chorizo, white wine,
chick peas, tomatoes, herbs... mmmmm

Posted to rec.food.historic

"Martin Kendall" > wrote in message
>I used to buy tripe in the early 90's from Safeway, but I cannot find it
> anywhere now. I am based in the midlands, but I'd love to hear from any
> who
> knows where I can get tripe (mail order would be perfect).
>
> Martin
> p.s. Favourite tripe recipe: In the Madrid style with Chorizo, white wine,
> chick peas, tomatoes, herbs... mmmmm

Find your tripe and maybe a Hog Maw or two, and I'll send you a recipe for
"Menudo", what happened to the Conquistador's cooks after bedding Aztec
maidens and facing Mexican ingredients, a stew of tripe with "posole"
(hominy) in a rich broth laden with chiles (various breeds depending upon
the region), traditionally served with chopped raw onion, diced fresh
jalapeno, halved limes, warm corn tortillas (and cilantro at my house). An
efficacious weekend morning cure "para la cruda" (for a hangover).

Having no pigs until after the Conquista, the original menudo, Aztec style,
may well have been whipped up from the tripes of all those folks, thousands
at a time on a big holiday, "de-hearted" atop various of the Valley's
pyramids. Short on animal protein to feed a substantial population, it sure
seems likely that the Aztecs, harsh and cruel, may well have been
utilitarians, also.

TMO

Posted to rec.food.historic

> I used to buy tripe in the early 90's from Safeway, but I cannot find
> it anywhere now. I am based in the midlands, but I'd love to hear from
> any who knows where I can get tripe (mail order would be perfect).

Google for "Q Guild" butchers and try the nearest to you. If anybody
can supply it they will.

I'd like to find a supply of sheep testicles. I've never seen them
on sale in the UK - they're easy to buy in Turkey but I've never done
self-catering there.

<http://www.purr.demon.co.uk/jack/> for CD-ROMs and free | fax 0870 0554 975
Posted to rec.food.historic

"Jack Campin - bogus address" > wrote ...

>> I used to buy tripe in the early 90's from Safeway, but I cannot find
>> it anywhere now. I am based in the midlands, but I'd love to hear from
>> any who knows where I can get tripe (mail order would be perfect).

> Google for "Q Guild" butchers and try the nearest to you. If anybody
> can supply it they will.
>
> I'd like to find a supply of sheep testicles. I've never seen them
> on sale in the UK - they're easy to buy in Turkey but I've never done
> self-catering there.

Living in a part of the US where the traditional "Southern" and African
American cultures (and similar diets) meet and meld with Mexican culture and
cuisine, now so available as to have become noticeably regionalized, not
just TexMex or Mexican, but Tampiquena or Sonoran, etc., "organ meets" have
become even more available at supermarket outlets. While the small Black
and Anglo corner markets with their butchers' cases and meats popular in the
neighborhood by price or culture have disappeared, replaced by "convenience
stores" which sell few groceries, larger "Carnecerias" have entered the
scene, featuring strange cuts, bits and parts. The advantage of organ meats
is that fancy titales and grading mean naught....There's no choice or prime
in tripes.

As for sheep's testes, those I haven't seen, while the goats slaughtered
hereabouts are pretty immature and theirs are likely hardly noticeable. Of
course with a major turkey plant operated by one of the giant agcartels,
Cargill, we have plenty of "Turkey Fries" (which are modestly appealing
breaded and fried, more like sweetbreads than testicles.

A favorite local appetizer... "White Wings", a strip of fresh jalapeno, a
bit of jack cheese, wrapped in a chicken tender, then in a thin slice of
bacon, secured with a toothpick, and deep fried. The bacon from outside and
a the chile from inside radiate flavor and the result is better than most of
the finger foods, especially the traditional bacon-wrapped chicken liver
hiding a water chestnet. The origin of the dish comes from local bird
hunters, using dove breasts instead of chicken, but demand soon overtook the
limited supply of dove breasts.

TMO

TMO