Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking
Sonoran Dude

Default Mexican Hot Dog condiments

A year or so ago I posted a string about my love of Mexican Hot Dogs.
Every time I go to a new stand I find something different. Since there
are so many regions of Mexico and the Southwest US I was wondering if I
am missing any condiments due to my location.

If you haven't tried a Mexican hot dog I encourage you to try one.
Street vendors in Mexico are very good. Here in Tucson they are
everywhere. I have never had a bad experience at any Mexican hot dog
vendor. They all seem to take a lot of pride in the preparation and
display of their condiments.

The basic Mexican Hot Dog from our Sonoran region is a medium sized dog
sometimes wrapped in bacon.
Buns vary from a basic white flour commercial bun to a specialy baked
scone type bun that cradles the dog perfectly.

My favorite condiments include:
Mexican Mayonaise made with lime juice,
Grilled Onions or Marinated Onions
Tiny 1/8" diced tomatoes
Tiny 1/8" diced onions
Cucumber
Radish
Whole cooked Pintos
Jalapeno Juice
Grilled yellow hot peppers
Fried or grilled whole jalapenos

Mustard and Ketchup are not commonly included on a dog with the works.
Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking
ensenadajim

On Wed, 18 Jan 2006 07:33:08 -0700, Sonoran Dude
> wrote:

>A year or so ago I posted a string about my love of Mexican Hot Dogs.
>Every time I go to a new stand I find something different. Since there
>are so many regions of Mexico and the Southwest US I was wondering if I
>am missing any condiments due to my location.
>
>If you haven't tried a Mexican hot dog I encourage you to try one.
>Street vendors in Mexico are very good. Here in Tucson they are
>everywhere. I have never had a bad experience at any Mexican hot dog
>vendor. They all seem to take a lot of pride in the preparation and
>display of their condiments.
>
>The basic Mexican Hot Dog from our Sonoran region is a medium sized dog
>sometimes wrapped in bacon.
>Buns vary from a basic white flour commercial bun to a specialy baked
>scone type bun that cradles the dog perfectly.
>
>My favorite condiments include:
>Mexican Mayonaise made with lime juice,
>Grilled Onions or Marinated Onions
>Tiny 1/8" diced tomatoes
>Tiny 1/8" diced onions
>Cucumber
>Radish
>Whole cooked Pintos
>Jalapeno Juice
>Grilled yellow hot peppers
>Fried or grilled whole jalapenos
>
>Mustard and Ketchup are not commonly included on a dog with the works.

I haven't found one I like as the dogs themselves are bland to the
point of insipid. Mexican hot dogs depend on the additions. Even a
chicken-dog would taste good given enough extras. You can't taste the
dog.

jim

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking
Sonoran Dude

ensenadajim wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Jan 2006 07:33:08 -0700, Sonoran Dude
> > wrote:
>

>>A year or so ago I posted a string about my love of Mexican Hot Dogs.
>>Every time I go to a new stand I find something different. Since there
>>are so many regions of Mexico and the Southwest US I was wondering if I
>>am missing any condiments due to my location.
>>
>>If you haven't tried a Mexican hot dog I encourage you to try one.
>>Street vendors in Mexico are very good. Here in Tucson they are
>>everywhere. I have never had a bad experience at any Mexican hot dog
>>vendor. They all seem to take a lot of pride in the preparation and
>>display of their condiments.
>>
>>The basic Mexican Hot Dog from our Sonoran region is a medium sized dog
>>sometimes wrapped in bacon.
>>Buns vary from a basic white flour commercial bun to a specialy baked
>>scone type bun that cradles the dog perfectly.
>>
>>My favorite condiments include:
>>Mexican Mayonaise made with lime juice,
>>Grilled Onions or Marinated Onions
>>Tiny 1/8" diced tomatoes
>>Tiny 1/8" diced onions
>>Cucumber
>>Radish
>>Whole cooked Pintos
>>Jalapeno Juice
>>Grilled yellow hot peppers
>>Fried or grilled whole jalapenos
>>
>>Mustard and Ketchup are not commonly included on a dog with the works.

> I haven't found one I like as the dogs themselves are bland to the
> point of insipid. Mexican hot dogs depend on the additions. Even a
> chicken-dog would taste good given enough extras. You can't taste the
> dog.
>

> jim

Jim,

I agree that the actual dog is nothing special and doesn't need to be
with the way they doctor them up. Maybe the Mexican dog is bland because
of Mexico's roots with German immigrants and the reality that
frankfurters are typically bland to appeal to children.

I am sure if Itallians had been their influence they would use highly
seasoned franks like we find in New York, Philly and Chicago. Regardless
of the flavor of the dog I commend the Mexican preparation and their use
of condiments. I hope that this discussion will help quash urban myths
about Mexican hot dogs and convince some to give them a try.

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking
ensenadajim

On Thu, 19 Jan 2006 01:03:32 -0700, Sonoran Dude
> wrote:

>ensenadajim wrote:
>> On Wed, 18 Jan 2006 07:33:08 -0700, Sonoran Dude
>> > wrote:

snip

>> I haven't found one I like as the dogs themselves are bland to the
>> point of insipid. Mexican hot dogs depend on the additions. Even a
>> chicken-dog would taste good given enough extras. You can't taste the
>> dog.

snip

>I agree that the actual dog is nothing special and doesn't need to be
>with the way they doctor them up. Maybe the Mexican dog is bland because
>of Mexico's roots with German immigrants and the reality that
>frankfurters are typically bland to appeal to children.

That could well be. Although the Germans also make bratwurst and those
are not bland.

>I am sure if Itallians had been their influence they would use highly
>seasoned franks like we find in New York, Philly and Chicago. Regardless
>of the flavor of the dog I commend the Mexican preparation and their use
>of condiments. I hope that this discussion will help quash urban myths
>about Mexican hot dogs and convince some to give them a try.

Should people try them? Certainly. A lot of people may like them (and
do - from the numbers that I have seen at stands in Tijuana and
Ensenada). However, even based on the numbers of tourists in town,
very few anglos are seen eating them.

I think the reason is they can get hotdogs back home and are going for
something that sounds "Mexican." Hot dogs do not.

jim

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking
Sonoran Dude

ensenadajim wrote:
> On Thu, 19 Jan 2006 01:03:32 -0700, Sonoran Dude
> > wrote:

Snip

> That could well be. Although the Germans also make bratwurst and those
> are not bland.

Exactly! kids would never eat such things as bratwurst, Jägerschnitzel
or Sauerbraten so they invent the frankfurter so German children can
get through the finicky years.

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking
ensenadajim

On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 07:37:44 -0700, Sonoran Dude
> wrote:

>ensenadajim wrote:
>> On Thu, 19 Jan 2006 01:03:32 -0700, Sonoran Dude
>> > wrote:
>>

>Snip
>

>> That could well be. Although the Germans also make bratwurst and those
>> are not bland.
>>

>Exactly! kids would never eat such things as bratwurst, Jägerschnitzel
>or Sauerbraten so they invent the frankfurter so German children can
>get through the finicky years.

"Never?"

Right.

jim