Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default HotDog Condiments

Lately I've been toying with a kraut, diced pickeled sliced jalapeno
pepper, diced dill pickle, diced polish Banana pepper mix, I guess you'd
call it a kinda relish, that I made up...very nice on smokies and dawgs..

What do you use on your dawgs?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mr Libido Incognito wrote:

> Lately I've been toying with a kraut, diced pickeled sliced jalapeno
> pepper, diced dill pickle, diced polish Banana pepper mix, I guess
> you'd call it a kinda relish, that I made up...very nice on smokies
> and dawgs..
>
> What do you use on your dawgs?

Mustard, maybe a little kraut.

Brian

won't shut up.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mr Libido Incognito" > wrote

> Lately I've been toying with a kraut, diced pickeled sliced jalapeno
> pepper, diced dill pickle, diced polish Banana pepper mix, I guess you'd
> call it a kinda relish, that I made up...very nice on smokies and dawgs..
>
> What do you use on your dawgs?

Sweet relish and brown mustard. Your relish sounds great, too.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

MLI wrote:

> Lately I've been toying with a kraut, diced pickeled sliced jalapeno
> pepper, diced dill pickle, diced polish Banana pepper mix, I guess you'd
> call it a kinda relish, that I made up...very nice on smokies and dawgs..
>
> What do you use on your dawgs?

I like HP "Fruity" sauce on hot dogs. Or just plain yellow mustard. Or Inner
Beauty Hot Sauce. Sometimes I gin up a "Reuben" dog with sauerkraut, Swiss
cheese, and Thousand Island salad dressing. I also like so-called
"Chicago-style" hot dogs with relish, peppers, onions, dill pickle spears,
tomatoes, and celery salt on a poppy-seed bun.

Of course, the hot dog doesn't NEED any of that stuff. It's just for
variety's sake.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mr Libido Incognito said...

> What do you use on your dawgs?

French's yellow mustard.

Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2007-05-07, Bob Terwilliger > wrote:

> "Chicago-style" hot dogs with relish, peppers, onions, dill pickle spears,
> tomatoes, and celery salt on a poppy-seed bun.

Damn, now you got me jonesing for chi-dog. I'm not from Chicago, but
I love those things and get one everytime I come across a place that
does them. I'd go for one right now, but the closest is about 8 miles
away. Maybe tomorrow.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2007-05-07, Mr Libido Incognito > wrote:
> Lately I've been toying with a kraut, diced pickeled sliced jalapeno
> pepper, diced dill pickle, diced polish Banana pepper mix, I guess you'd
> call it a kinda relish, that I made up...very nice on smokies and dawgs..

I don't know if it's a 7-11 coporate directive, but most of the 7-11's
around here offer a simple fresh pico de gallo in there condiments
tray. Quite tasty with sweet relish and mustard.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2007-05-07, Andy <q> wrote:

> French's yellow mustard.

Boy, I really abhor that stuff. Not so much because of the mustard
itself and the day-glo color, but the vinegar they use is too rude.
I've been trying new mustards for the last couple years and I keep
coming back to Gulden's. I also really like Colman's, but at almost
$4 for that itty-bitty jar is way out of line for what it is. I
really need to do like shellshock advises and make my own.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote on Mon, 07 May 2007 14:34:42 -0500:

??>> What do you use on your dawgs?

A> French's yellow mustard.

Yes, I like American mustard on hot dogs but also Dijon mustard
and ketchup (not mixed!). Chopped onions soaked for about 10
minutes in brine aren't bad either!

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.comcast.not

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 7, 2:27 pm, Mr Libido Incognito > wrote:
> Lately I've been toying with a kraut, diced pickeled sliced jalapeno
> pepper, diced dill pickle, diced polish Banana pepper mix, I guess you'd
> call it a kinda relish, that I made up...very nice on smokies and dawgs..
>
> What do you use on your dawgs?

Minced onion. Lots and lots of it, above and below the
hot dog. If it's not falling off, it's not enough.

The cafeteria ladies at my high school provided slushy
minced onions (probably they ran them through a grinder).
That was the best, since the onion juice permeated the
bun.

Ah, nostalgia.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:

> On 2007-05-07, Bob Terwilliger > wrote:
>
> > "Chicago-style" hot dogs with relish, peppers, onions, dill pickle
> > spears, tomatoes, and celery salt on a poppy-seed bun.

> Damn, now you got me jonesing for chi-dog. I'm not from Chicago, but
> I love those things and get one everytime I come across a place that
> does them. I'd go for one right now, but the closest is about 8 miles
> away. Maybe tomorrow.

I'm scheduled to go with some of the guys I used to work with to a
local place that does a decent Chicago dog (as reported by Chi-town
expats), although apparently you have to request the celery salt. It's
Woofie's here in St. Louis

I don't like my dogs so cluttered, so I'll get a plain or chili dog.

Brian

won't shut up.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" <q> wrote in message ...
> Mr Libido Incognito said...
>
>> What do you use on your dawgs?

> French's yellow mustard.
>
> Andy

And sweet relish. Nice combo.

Felice

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mr Libido Incognito" > wrote in message
> Lately I've been toying with a kraut, diced pickeled sliced jalapeno
> pepper, diced dill pickle, diced polish Banana pepper mix, I guess you'd
> call it a kinda relish, that I made up...very nice on smokies and dawgs..
>
> What do you use on your dawgs?

Hmmmm.

Depending on the dog and the cooking method some of the following;

Guldens or other brown mustard
raw onions
grilled onions
sweet relish
Alex brick chili
Dill pickle
1/2 sour pickle relish
coleslaw
Sauerkraut
tomato
celery salt
Cheese (great on the chili)
extra hot dill pickles like Tommy's in LA.
sometimes just salt.

Dimitri
Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mr Libido Incognito wrote:
> Lately I've been toying with a kraut, diced pickeled sliced jalapeno
> pepper, diced dill pickle, diced polish Banana pepper mix, I guess you'd
> call it a kinda relish, that I made up...very nice on smokies and dawgs..
>
> What do you use on your dawgs?

Several combinations, in no particular order:

Miracle Whip + pickled sliced jalapenos

Yellow hotdog mustard + sweet pickle relish

Sauerkraut

That hot oily vegetable relish that starts with a 'G'. Whenever I try
to think of its name, my brain gets stuck on "giardia"

Best regards,
Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Mr Libido Incognito > wrote:

> Lately I've been toying with a kraut, diced pickeled sliced jalapeno
> pepper, diced dill pickle, diced polish Banana pepper mix, I guess you'd
> call it a kinda relish, that I made up...very nice on smokies and dawgs..
>
> What do you use on your dawgs?

I'm partial to hot dogs slathered with whole-grain mustard and heaped
with freshly chopped (not minced) Walla-Wallas, Vidalias, or fresh
spring onions (before they get too hot) right out of the garden. But
alas...... I haven't had a decent dog since I had to go gluten free.
Those tapioca buns ::gags:: are really for s*&#. They have these new
teff wraps and I'm thinking of trying them for a dog.

I'm reminded of the movie 2010 where Heywood Floyd and another character
were reminiscing about hot dogs and Floyd said the best ones were at
Yankee Stadium (IIRC) and had been simmering since the day of the
opener.....

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 7, 2:55 pm, zxcvbob > wrote:
> Mr Libido Incognito wrote:
> > Lately I've been toying with a kraut, diced pickeled sliced jalapeno
> > pepper, diced dill pickle, diced polish Banana pepper mix, I guess you'd
> > call it a kinda relish, that I made up...very nice on smokies and dawgs..

> > What do you use on your dawgs?

> Several combinations, in no particular order:
>
> Miracle Whip + pickled sliced jalapenos
>
> Yellow hotdog mustard + sweet pickle relish
>
> Sauerkraut
>
> That hot oily vegetable relish that starts with a 'G'. Whenever I try
> to think of its name, my brain gets stuck on "giardia"
>
> Best regards,
> Bob

giardiniera

Been there, done that....

For my hot dogs at home: mustard and kraut.
For my hot dogs at ball parks: mustard, kraut and onions.
For my hot dogs when skiing: chili and cheese
For my hot dogs in Chicago: any way Hot Doug's thinks is right.

Susan B.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Emma Thackery wrote:

> I'm partial to hot dogs slathered with whole-grain mustard and heaped
> with freshly chopped (not minced) Walla-Wallas, Vidalias, or fresh
> spring onions (before they get too hot) right out of the garden. But
> alas...... I haven't had a decent dog since I had to go gluten free.
> Those tapioca buns ::gags:: are really for s*&#. They have these new
> teff wraps and I'm thinking of trying them for a dog.

If you can find gluten-free corn tortillas (I understand some
manufacturers use wheat flour to keep them from sticking together)
those make nice hotdog wraps. I've warmed up a couple in the microwave,
then wrapped them around a dog with condiments. Pretty tasty, you get
sort of a corndog effect.

Brian

won't shut up.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 7, 6:34 pm, "kilikini" > wrote:
> Mr Libido Incognito wrote:
> > Lately I've been toying with a kraut, diced pickeled sliced jalapeno
> > pepper, diced dill pickle, diced polish Banana pepper mix, I guess
> > you'd call it a kinda relish, that I made up...very nice on smokies
> > and dawgs..

> > What do you use on your dawgs?

> Personally, I always thought they were vile, even as a small child. :~) If
> I'm forced to politely choke one down, I drench it in ketchup, relish,
> mustard and kraut....if those components are available. You have to
> disguise the taste somehow! LOL.

The worst is boiled hot dogs with weenie water gravy.

> kili

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

kilikini wrote:

> Personally, I always thought they were vile, even as a small child. :~) If
> I'm forced to politely choke one down, I drench it in ketchup, relish,
> mustard and kraut....if those components are available. You have to
> disguise the taste somehow! LOL.

I rarely eat them, but last week I had a hot dog at my brother's place that
was made with a really good wiener. I was impressed enough that when I went
to the local butcher the other day I got some they had made in their shop,
and it was infinitely better than the wieners available in the grocery
store. I grilled some for dinner on Saturday and ate them on fresh hot dog
buns from the bakery with mustard, relish chopped onion and tomato. Pretty
good, but I decided that it is more of a lunch meal than supper.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mr Libido Incognito wrote:
> Lately I've been toying with a kraut, diced pickeled sliced jalapeno
> pepper, diced dill pickle, diced polish Banana pepper mix, I guess
> you'd call it a kinda relish, that I made up...very nice on smokies
> and dawgs..
>
> What do you use on your dawgs?

Personally, I always thought they were vile, even as a small child. :~) If
I'm forced to politely choke one down, I drench it in ketchup, relish,
mustard and kraut....if those components are available. You have to
disguise the taste somehow! LOL.

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Abe Abe is offline

>Lately I've been toying with a kraut, diced pickeled sliced jalapeno
>pepper, diced dill pickle, diced polish Banana pepper mix, I guess you'd
>call it a kinda relish, that I made up...very nice on smokies and dawgs..
>
>What do you use on your dawgs?

Gulden's spicy mustard and grilled onions in tomato sauce (ala
Sabrette)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

>(Mr*Libido*Incognito) wrote:
>Lately I've been toying with a kraut, diced pickeled sliced
>jalapeno pepper, diced dill pickle, diced polish Banana pepper mix,
>I guess you'd call it a kinda relish, that I
>made up...very nice on smokies and dawgs..
>What do you use on your dawgs?

In Michigan 3 choices.

1.- dog in steamed bun with mustard, with or without diced onions.
2. dog in steamed bun with michigan's meatless chili sauce,mustard, with
or without onions.
3. dog in steamed bun with michigan's meatless chili sauce, topped with
seasoned loose meat, with or witout onions.

All beef natural casing dogs - koegel- slowed grill.
Can't get better than this.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 07 May 2007 18:27:35 GMT, Mr Libido Incognito >
wrote:

>Lately I've been toying with a kraut, diced pickeled sliced jalapeno
>pepper, diced dill pickle, diced polish Banana pepper mix, I guess you'd
>call it a kinda relish, that I made up...very nice on smokies and dawgs..
>
>What do you use on your dawgs?

Yellow mustard.
My homemade kraut - much better than store-bought
My homemade green tomato pickle relish

- Mark
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mr Libido Incognito wrote:
> Lately I've been toying with a kraut, diced pickeled sliced jalapeno
> pepper, diced dill pickle, diced polish Banana pepper mix, I guess you'd
> call it a kinda relish, that I made up...very nice on smokies and dawgs..
>
> What do you use on your dawgs?

Usually only mustard. Very rarely cheese and chili.

--
Interests:

Homebrewing - currently brewing a generic amber ale; Muntons Porter and
Coopers Pale Ale aging in the fridge
Chainmail - currently working on arms for a hauberk using 6mm split
metal rings
Dogs - "Dad" to Smokey, an 8-year old grey toy poodle
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Food Snob wrote:
> On May 7, 6:34 pm, "kilikini" > wrote:
>> Mr Libido Incognito wrote:
>>> Lately I've been toying with a kraut, diced pickeled sliced jalapeno
>>> pepper, diced dill pickle, diced polish Banana pepper mix, I guess
>>> you'd call it a kinda relish, that I made up...very nice on smokies
>>> and dawgs..

>>> What do you use on your dawgs?

>> Personally, I always thought they were vile, even as a small child.
>> :~) If I'm forced to politely choke one down, I drench it in
>> ketchup, relish, mustard and kraut....if those components are
>> available. You have to disguise the taste somehow! LOL.

> The worst is boiled hot dogs with weenie water gravy.
>>

> --Bryan

I actually grimaced as I read that.

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Abe wrote:
>> Lately I've been toying with a kraut, diced pickeled sliced jalapeno
>> pepper, diced dill pickle, diced polish Banana pepper mix, I guess
>> you'd call it a kinda relish, that I made up...very nice on smokies
>> and dawgs..
>>
>> What do you use on your dawgs?

> Gulden's spicy mustard and grilled onions in tomato sauce (ala
> Sabrette)

My husband loves Gulden's mustard!

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 07 May 2007 15:24:15 -0500, notbob > wrote:

>On 2007-05-07, Bob Terwilliger > wrote:
>
>> "Chicago-style" hot dogs with relish, peppers, onions, dill pickle spears,
>> tomatoes, and celery salt on a poppy-seed bun.

>Damn, now you got me jonesing for chi-dog. I'm not from Chicago, but
>I love those things and get one everytime I come across a place that
>does them. I'd go for one right now, but the closest is about 8 miles
>away. Maybe tomorrow.

Where is that, nb? Enquiring minds and all.

TammyM, will get within spittin' distance of Chi-town in less than a
month
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2007-05-08, TammyM > wrote:

> TammyM, will get within spittin' distance of Chi-town in less than a
> month

There's a Chi-dog joint in Pleasanton and one in Walnut Creek.
They're both Vienna chi-dog-kit places, but that's ok by me.

http://www.viennabeef.com/

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Mr Libido Incognito > wrote:

> What do you use on your dawgs?

Ketchup and mustard. Occasionally raw onions. Sometimes a pickle plank
tucked along the side.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller - blahblahblog - Orange Honey

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
zxcvbob > wrote:

> That hot oily vegetable relish that starts with a 'G'. Whenever I try
> to think of its name, my brain gets stuck on "giardia"
>
> Best regards,
> Bob

Giardinera? (Something like that!)
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller - blahblahblog - Orange Honey
Garlic Chicken, 3-29-2007
jamlady.eboard.com
http:/http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/amytaylor/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Default User" > wrote:

> Emma Thackery wrote:
>
> > I'm partial to hot dogs slathered with whole-grain mustard and heaped
> > with freshly chopped (not minced) Walla-Wallas, Vidalias, or fresh
> > spring onions (before they get too hot) right out of the garden. But
> > alas...... I haven't had a decent dog since I had to go gluten free.
> > Those tapioca buns ::gags:: are really for s*&#. They have these new
> > teff wraps and I'm thinking of trying them for a dog.

> If you can find gluten-free corn tortillas (I understand some
> manufacturers use wheat flour to keep them from sticking together)
> those make nice hotdog wraps. I've warmed up a couple in the microwave,
> then wrapped them around a dog with condiments. Pretty tasty, you get
> sort of a corndog effect.

You know.... I never thought of that! And I should have when you
consider corndogs. I had some great corn tortillas at Chevy's the other
day (Chevy's is a chain Mexican restaurant but I suspect it may be a
small chain). They were soft and not at all gritty. In fact, I was
initially suspicious of them and fearful that they contained wheat flour
and that I would get sick. But I didn't (hooray!). I've never had corn
tortillas so tender like that before. I have to find out how to make
them or where to get them. Thanks for the idea.

Emma
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article >,
> zxcvbob > wrote:
>
>> That hot oily vegetable relish that starts with a 'G'. Whenever I try
>> to think of its name, my brain gets stuck on "giardia"
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Bob

> Giardinera? (Something like that!)

Of course that's it. But I never can come up with it on my own :-)

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2007-05-08, Emma Thackery > wrote:

> day (Chevy's is a chain Mexican restaurant but I suspect it may be a
> small chain).

Only compared to its parent company, Taco Bell, and Taco Bell's parent
company, Pesico. They have under 200 outlets compared to Taco Bell's
6,500 locations. That was 3 yrs ago. Still a chain bringing in more
than 150 million could hardly be characterized as small.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Saint Melba's Jammin' > spake thus
through message
after Mr
Liido Incognito asked >:
> > What do you use on your dawgs?
> >

> Ketchup and mustard. Occasionally raw onions.
> Sometimes a pickle plank tucked along the side.

What's this?! No sour kraut liberally slathered into the mustard
and "occasional raw onions?" The unadulterated shame of that
omission!

A dawg don't need nothin' more than to be swimmin' in a pool o'
mo-tard and heaped sinfully high with Staud's Sour Kraut.

The Ranger

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mr Libido Incognito wrote:
> Lately I've been toying with a kraut, diced pickeled sliced jalapeno
> pepper, diced dill pickle, diced polish Banana pepper mix, I guess you'd
> call it a kinda relish, that I made up...very nice on smokies and dawgs..
>
> What do you use on your dawgs?

Grainy stone ground mustard, grilled onions, saurkraut...

--
"All of those faeries and duels and mad queens and so on, and no one
quoted old Billy Shakespeare. Not even once."
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mr Libido Incognito" > wrote in message
> Lately I've been toying with a kraut, diced pickeled sliced jalapeno
> pepper, diced dill pickle, diced polish Banana pepper mix, I guess you'd
> call it a kinda relish, that I made up...very nice on smokies and dawgs..
>
> What do you use on your dawgs?

1. Mustard and ketchup--French's or Gulden's spicy brown mustard preferable
to the usual yellow hot dog mustard, and no other brand of ketchup except
for Heinz (best) or Hunt's (acceptable).

Or...

2. No beans chili and cheese (preferably Hormel chili, no beans).

Or...

3. Sauerkraut only (preferably Claussen sauerkraut).

Condiment combinations 1, 2, and 3 are always exclusive (that is, I would
never make a no beans chili, cheese, and sauerkraut hot dog, nor would I add
mustard and ketchup to a chili/cheese hot dog).

If the hot dog happens to be a Vienna Beef hot dog--I actually like them
plain on a bun, without any condiments at all.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 07 May 2007 15:35:40 -0500, notbob > wrote:

>On 2007-05-07, Andy <q> wrote:
>
>> French's yellow mustard.

>Boy, I really abhor that stuff. Not so much because of the mustard
>itself and the day-glo color, but the vinegar they use is too rude.
>I've been trying new mustards for the last couple years and I keep
>coming back to Gulden's. I also really like Colman's, but at almost
>$4 for that itty-bitty jar is way out of line for what it is. I
>really need to do like shellshock advises and make my own.
>
>nb

at least that will definitely keep longer than a week. (unless you're
just talking about mustard powder and water.)

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Emma Thackery wrote:

> In article >,
> "Default User" > wrote:

> > If you can find gluten-free corn tortillas (I understand some
> > manufacturers use wheat flour to keep them from sticking together)
> > those make nice hotdog wraps.

> You know.... I never thought of that! And I should have when you
> consider corndogs. I had some great corn tortillas at Chevy's the
> other day (Chevy's is a chain Mexican restaurant but I suspect it may
> be a small chain).

They're in St. Louis as well.

> They were soft and not at all gritty. In fact, I
> was initially suspicious of them and fearful that they contained
> wheat flour and that I would get sick. But I didn't (hooray!). I've
> never had corn tortillas so tender like that before. I have to find
> out how to make them or where to get them. Thanks for the idea.

As I recall, part of their gimmick is that they make everything there,
including the tortillas. They have (or had) a little operation where
people could watch somebody making tortillas. You could certainly make
them as well, you'd probably want a tortilla press.

Brian

won't shut up.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7 May 2007 15:46:42 -0700, sueb > wrote:

>giardiniera

I always have at least one brand in the fridge and every time I have
to spell it I have to pull one out for the spelling. LOL

>For my hot dogs in Chicago: any way Hot Doug's thinks is right.

People think Chicago only has one way to make dogs. Every dog joint
makes them a little different. Giardiniera would only be served upon
request. Sport peppers are the way to go. I've had giardiniera on a
dog and it's ok, but the flavor blends much better with Italian beef
or pizza. If you go to the old Italian neighborhood on Taylor street
you'll get mustard, onion and sport peppers which is far from what
people categorize as a Chicago dog. S.Rosin Bakery buns are one thing
that's pretty universal. Like you, if I'm ordering out I'll order
"everything" and let them do their thing. You'll never see ketchup.
I saw someone request it and he got laughed at. LOL He was wearing
a badge from work. His name was Stan.

Lou

hotdog picnic! Peter Lucas[_2_] General Cooking 0 23-10-2010 11:24 PM
Who hasn't had a breakfast hotdog? Andy General Cooking 34 23-12-2004 08:20 PM
Vegan Hotdog n Vegan 15 17-12-2004 05:39 PM
Hotdog Meat Sauce Help Andie Z General Cooking 4 19-08-2004 08:46 AM