Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking
Rich

Default Huevos de Muerte

Happy New Year to the group...

Probably not authentic Mexican (I haven't seen anything similar
in any Mexican recipe source, traditional or otherwise), but it
has been a New Year food tradition in our family for many years.
It's based on a recipe I found in an Orange County, California
newspaper (Santa Ana Register) 25, maybe 30 years ago.

Huevos de Muerte (Quiche of Death)

1/2 pound hot country style sausage
1/2 pound Mexican style pork chorizo
1 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
15 fresh jalapeno chiles, seeded, deveined and chopped
1 cup grated cheddar cheese
1 cup grated jack cheese
4 eggs
1 cup milk
1 cup washed and chopped cilantro
flour tortillas as needed

Fry sausage and chorizo together. Add onion and bell pepper
and fry to wilt. Drain, saving rendered fat. Beat eggs and
milk. Stir jalapenos and cilantro into egg/milk mixture.
Using a basting brush, paint tortillas with rendered fat and
cover the bottom and sides of a 10 inch pie pan, overlapping
as necessary. Repeat, with another layer of tortillas painted
with rendered fat as before. Spread sausage/onion/pepper mix
over tortillas. Spread cheeses over sausage. Pour in egg/milk
mixture. Bake in 375 F degree oven until eggs are set (should
take about 45 minutes).

Rich

P.S. - This year I used fresh jalapenos rather than the canned,
pickled jalapenos the original recipe called for. Think I'll
either go back to using canned or perhaps sauté the chopped
jalapenos before adding to the eggs/milk mixture next time.

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking
mnosea

Has a Mexican ever prepared this? Wouldn't that make it "authentic,"
or ever having been made in Mexico?

On Mon, 02 Jan 2006 16:13:20 GMT, Rich > wrote:

>Happy New Year to the group...
>
>Probably not authentic Mexican (I haven't seen anything similar
>in any Mexican recipe source, traditional or otherwise), but it
>has been a New Year food tradition in our family for many years.
>It's based on a recipe I found in an Orange County, California
>newspaper (Santa Ana Register) 25, maybe 30 years ago.
>
>Huevos de Muerte (Quiche of Death)
>
>1/2 pound hot country style sausage
>1/2 pound Mexican style pork chorizo
>1 cup chopped onion
>1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
>15 fresh jalapeno chiles, seeded, deveined and chopped
>1 cup grated cheddar cheese
>1 cup grated jack cheese
>4 eggs
>1 cup milk
>1 cup washed and chopped cilantro
> flour tortillas as needed
>
>Fry sausage and chorizo together. Add onion and bell pepper
>and fry to wilt. Drain, saving rendered fat. Beat eggs and
>milk. Stir jalapenos and cilantro into egg/milk mixture.
>Using a basting brush, paint tortillas with rendered fat and
>cover the bottom and sides of a 10 inch pie pan, overlapping
>as necessary. Repeat, with another layer of tortillas painted
>with rendered fat as before. Spread sausage/onion/pepper mix
>over tortillas. Spread cheeses over sausage. Pour in egg/milk
>mixture. Bake in 375 F degree oven until eggs are set (should
>take about 45 minutes).
>
>Rich
>
>P.S. - This year I used fresh jalapenos rather than the canned,
>pickled jalapenos the original recipe called for. Think I'll
>either go back to using canned or perhaps sauté the chopped
>jalapenos before adding to the eggs/milk mixture next time.

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking
ensenadajim

On Wed, 11 Jan 2006 00:11:38 -0800, mnosea <mnosea@minspring> wrote:

>Has a Mexican ever prepared this? Wouldn't that make it "authentic,"
>or ever having been made in Mexico?

Depends on what your definition is.The lower your standard, the more
authentic this is.

jim

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking
BoboBonobo

Rich wrote:
> Happy New Year to the group...
>
> Probably not authentic Mexican (I haven't seen anything similar
> in any Mexican recipe source, traditional or otherwise), but it
> has been a New Year food tradition in our family for many years.
> It's based on a recipe I found in an Orange County, California
> newspaper (Santa Ana Register) 25, maybe 30 years ago.
>
> Huevos de Muerte (Quiche of Death)
>
> 1/2 pound hot country style sausage
> 1/2 pound Mexican style pork chorizo
> 1 cup chopped onion
> 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
> 15 fresh jalapeno chiles, seeded, deveined and chopped
> 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
> 1 cup grated jack cheese
> 4 eggs
> 1 cup milk
> 1 cup washed and chopped cilantro
> flour tortillas as needed
>
> Fry sausage and chorizo together. Add onion and bell pepper
> and fry to wilt. Drain, saving rendered fat. Beat eggs and
> milk. Stir jalapenos and cilantro into egg/milk mixture.
> Using a basting brush, paint tortillas with rendered fat and
> cover the bottom and sides of a 10 inch pie pan, overlapping
> as necessary. Repeat, with another layer of tortillas painted
> with rendered fat as before. Spread sausage/onion/pepper mix
> over tortillas. Spread cheeses over sausage. Pour in egg/milk
> mixture. Bake in 375 F degree oven until eggs are set (should
> take about 45 minutes).
>
> Rich
>
> P.S. - This year I used fresh jalapenos rather than the canned,
> pickled jalapenos the original recipe called for. Think I'll
> either go back to using canned or perhaps sauté the chopped
> jalapenos before adding to the eggs/milk mixture next time.

Do not use pickled jalapenos. They are crap. Reading your recipe, I
can't believe it called for 15 jalapenos (Jeez, that's be scorchingly
hot). Use fresh ones, and if they're too hot, substitute Poblanos
and/or Anaheims, or if you can get them, the NuMex 6-4 (Hatch) chiles
http://www.reimerseeds.com/ProductIn...ctid=HP1815-20
You could also try substituting 1/2 cup heavy cream for the 1 cup milk,
and leaving out the onion, adding it raw as a garnish after cooking,
perhaps with some finely choppes tomato.
Anyway, this is AmeriMex, but it has its plusses, such as using the
rendered fat*, which you could also use to fry the chiles instead of
broiling them: http://www.g6csy.net/chile/roasting.html
Putting raw chiles into such a baked dish is just wrong. Another
thing, and this is just my personal opinion, if you put the cilantro in
(I think it should be used only as a garnish), use only the leaves,
never the stems. Cilantro leaves are subtler than the obnoxiously
intense stems, and again, don't use crappy pickled jalapenos. You were
right the first time in substituting fresh ones. You just neglected to
pre roast them. Reconstituted dried chiles are better than the
vinegarized ones every time. Any recipe that calls for pickled
jalapenos should be viewed as suspect from the get go.

* Home rendered pork fat is the best choice for any frying, the next
best being store-bought NON-HYDROGENATED lard. Rendered chicken fat is
good as well.

--Bryan

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking
Rich McCormack

BoboBonobo wrote:
> Rich wrote:
>
>>Happy New Year to the group...
>>
>>Probably not authentic Mexican (I haven't seen anything similar
>>in any Mexican recipe source, traditional or otherwise), but it
>>has been a New Year food tradition in our family for many years.
>>It's based on a recipe I found in an Orange County, California
>>newspaper (Santa Ana Register) 25, maybe 30 years ago.
>>
>>Huevos de Muerte (Quiche of Death)
>>
>>1/2 pound hot country style sausage
>>1/2 pound Mexican style pork chorizo
>>1 cup chopped onion
>>1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
>>15 fresh jalapeno chiles, seeded, deveined and chopped
>>1 cup grated cheddar cheese
>>1 cup grated jack cheese
>>4 eggs
>>1 cup milk
>>1 cup washed and chopped cilantro
>> flour tortillas as needed
>>
>>Fry sausage and chorizo together. Add onion and bell pepper
>>and fry to wilt. Drain, saving rendered fat. Beat eggs and
>>milk. Stir jalapenos and cilantro into egg/milk mixture.
>>Using a basting brush, paint tortillas with rendered fat and
>>cover the bottom and sides of a 10 inch pie pan, overlapping
>>as necessary. Repeat, with another layer of tortillas painted
>>with rendered fat as before. Spread sausage/onion/pepper mix
>>over tortillas. Spread cheeses over sausage. Pour in egg/milk
>>mixture. Bake in 375 F degree oven until eggs are set (should
>>take about 45 minutes).
>>
>>Rich
>>
>>P.S. - This year I used fresh jalapenos rather than the canned,
>>pickled jalapenos the original recipe called for. Think I'll
>>either go back to using canned or perhaps sauté the chopped
>>jalapenos before adding to the eggs/milk mixture next time.

> ...I can't believe it called for 15 jalapenos (Jeez, that's be
> scorchingly hot).

I'm sure the originator of the recipe was thinking the same thing
when he named it Huevos de Muerte. Actually, it's not all that
hot. My friends and family have eaten it over the years, without
any serious complaints, and have even come back for seconds.

> don't use crappy pickled jalapenos.

Well...I try not to use "crappy" pickled jalapenos, I use my own
home canned pickled jalapenos when I've got them in the pantry.

> You were
> right the first time in substituting fresh ones. You just neglected to
> pre roast them.

I've used pickled jalapenos for many years, per the original
recipe, and it's always come out pretty dang tasty. I decided
to try something different this year, using fresh jalapenos.
The finished dish was still good, but the uncooked chopped
jalapenos didn't soften enough during the cooking process
and added a crunchy texture...didn't ruin the dish tastewise,
it was just a weird "mouth feel" thing.

All of your suggestions are interesting, but they would seriously
alter the concept. I mean...substituting poblano for the jalapeno
chiles would make it something other than "muerte" don't you think?
I do like your idea of using fire roasted jalapenos...might have to
give that a try.

Rich